Nokia commercial slams iPhone 5's lack of color

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    Yawn....
  • Reply 22 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I guess this is what you have to do when your device and platform doesn't have any inherent redeeming qualities.

Which is a flipping shame, since one, it's Microsoft, who has the people and resources to make that platform great and two, the platform itself actually deserves to succeed, given that they did everything right that Android did wrong.

Nokia's on their own. They've been in the phone business long enough and had enough time to see what the iPhone did right to know better by now.

The first 20 seconds of the ad are beautiful. The music is great, the world's material has a great feeling to it (though it's transparent where it shouldn't be and lacks contrast where it should exist), but the rest is just… poorly done. Bad music, off-key, and not NEARLY enough emphasis on the change that is supposed to have been enacted by the change in product. My stars… 

I like how all the competitors have jumped on the "4?5" bandwagon. Makes you wonder if they shouldn't have just dropped the numbers entirely.

• Reply 23 of 92
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    Nokia is desperate. Oh and by the way, it isn't going to work just like copycat Samsung's childish in line commercials.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    sipsip Posts: 210member

You've lost the battle and the war when all you've got left if attacking your competitor's products rather than touting your own.

• Reply 25 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Not that that'll do much anyway. 

Apple tops consumer satisfaction reports year after year. Every iPhone that has ever existed, has dominated consumer satisfaction utterly. 

It'll be about as effective as Apples 1984 ad was, I'd guess.

• Reply 26 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Does the "You're stupid for owning <insert competitor product name>!" method of marketing work? 

Obviously not. The 1984 ad did nothing, as will this ad. The "I'm a Mac & I'm a PC" ads no longer air and the "If you're stupid you should own this" Genius ads were pulled.

• Reply 27 of 92

The loud colors distract from the content.  Same reason TV bezels are not colorful.

• Reply 28 of 92
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Nokia could focus on the camera, but we all know that's fake.

• Reply 29 of 92
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member

Nokia is run by stupid people. Don't they realise its Android killing them, not iPhone. People who don't care what phone they have got a Nokia on the cheapest plan, now they end up with Android on the cheapest plan.

• Reply 30 of 92
    I have a feeling this isn't genuine, to be honest. I may be wrong, but the tags at the bottom at the end of the ad suggest to me this has been made by other folk.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

The 1984 ad did nothing…

The oft-proclaimed greatest advertisement of all time did "nothing"?

The "I'm a Mac & I'm a PC" ads no longer air…

And those didn't demean people in the first place.

…the "If you're stupid you should own this" Genius ads were pulled.

Yeah, they… weren't the… image

• Reply 32 of 92
    chadmatic wrote: »
    The loud colors distract from the content.  Same reason TV bezels are not colorful.

There's still a black bezel, genius.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    jungmark wrote: »
    Nokia could focus on the camera, but we all know that's fake.

Sure. Fake.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    sip wrote: »
    You've lost the battle and the war when all you've got left if attacking your competitor's products rather than touting your own.

... they are doing both?
  • Reply 35 of 92
    jragosta wrote: »
    Funny how the iHaters accuse Apple of focusing on style rather than function - yet their competitors are attacking them for lack of color in their phone cases.
    Three words:
    Buy a case.

That's very un-Apple-like
  • Reply 36 of 92
    OMFG! That was so lame!!! LOL!
  • Reply 37 of 92
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

There's still a black bezel, genius.

Black is, pretty much by definition, not "colorful."  He didn't say that TV bezels don't have a color.

• Reply 38 of 92
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member

Failed. Does the ad agency realized this kind of ads only does one things? It pushes the viewer to choose between two brands. If you are already an Apple user, this is just silly. If you are not a Apple user, you still have a ton of other choices than Nokia...If you are Nokia, why would you mention iPhone as your direct competitor??? In short, what a waste of money! I give Nokia 2-3 years before they go under. I can't decide if Blackberry will beat them to the punch or not through?

• Reply 39 of 92
    If you can't beat them, slam them.
  • Reply 40 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The oft-proclaimed greatest advertisement of all time did "nothing"?

Apple stock actually fell by almost 50% in the year following the "1984" ad. It wasn't until 15 years later that AAPL had any significant growth.  If the intent of the 1984 ad was to improve apple marketshare and corporate profitability, then yes it did nothing for AAPL,  

Not saying it wasn't a good ad though.