Apple's new iOS 6 Maps support automatic offline use for a wide area

Comments

• Reply 121 of 180

Well... Apple finally, got their 3D FlyOver priorities right:

To quote Mila Kunis in the movie "Friends With Benifits: "Pussy..."

This was not there yesterday!

On the other side of the hill, you can just see Forrest Lawn... They say that "People are dying..."

i cannot see "Hollywood sign" on iOS 5 Google maps (no street view) or Google Earth iOS and OS X (wrong location).  The maps.google.com web site gives the same erroneous result as Google Earth.

• Reply 122 of 180
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    Oh, so innovative, not even Like my Nokia N95 wasn't doing this 6 years ago even better (since there was actually no reason to go online, ever)...

For the record, this has nothing to do with vector maps. Claiming so is moronic at best.
  • Reply 123 of 180

Here's a weird issue:

My iPad 2 processes Apple Maps faster than my iPad 3... and the iP5 is faster than either of them.

Maybe it's time to bump the capabilities of the iPad 3???

• Reply 124 of 180
    I can't say that I have used Apple Maps: need to update my iPhone. But I have seen the quality of the images for my area, which is Verbier, Switzerland. And the GPS pinpointed me with great accuracy.

Forget Bing. You can't zoom in and the area images are only sharp if you are several thousand feet up, but then you can't even make out so much as a street, let alone a building. As for local info, the nearest restaurant is not even in the country but some 100 miles away in France. According to the map, the main local car park doesn't exist.

As for Google, several streets have the same name. They were informed a couple of years ago, but it has made no difference.

So fine. Apple may have a few issues, but they've just arrived. Give them a break.

Oh! And my Garmin has a half-dozen errors in the last 10 miles to my house, including telling me to turn right off the road, go down a couple of 100 yards, turn round and come back again, then turn left along the road that I was on originally!
  • Reply 125 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by awoolman View Post

I can't say that I have used Apple Maps: need to update my iPhone. But I have seen the quality of the images for my area, which is Verbier, Switzerland. And the GPS pinpointed me with great accuracy.

Forget Bing. You can't zoom in and the area images are only sharp if you are several thousand feet up, but then you can't even make out so much as a street, let alone a building. As for local info, the nearest restaurant is not even in the country but some 100 miles away in France. According to the map, the main local car park doesn't exist.

As for Google, several streets have the same name. They were informed a couple of years ago, but it has made no difference.

So fine. Apple may have a few issues, but they've just arrived. Give them a break.

Oh! And my Garmin has a half-dozen errors in the last 10 miles to my house, including telling me to turn right off the road, go down a couple of 100 yards, turn round and come back again, then turn left along the road that I was on originally!

Welcome aboard there awoolman. Do you herd sheep? We already can assume you are an iSheep. Just kidding in case my American sarcasm does not translate. image

• Reply 126 of 180
    Reason starts to prevail at last, 3 weeks into iOS 6 availability.

As an iPad 3/iPhone 5 owner, I couldn't be happier with my gadgets right now, especially having discovered Street Viewer in the app store to feed my Street View craving, the last holdout from the bad old Google-enslavement days.

My GPS locator blue dot on Maps has finally moved outside my window after 4 years of being 250 yards away in a park across a motorway; audio assisted turn-by-turn navigation at long last; jaw-dropping FlyOver mode that redraws at blistering speed, and now offline cacheing.

What other goodies and Easter Eggs will we discover by Easter?

The mind boggles in a pleasant way...
  • Reply 127 of 180
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Here's a weird issue:

My iPad 2 processes Apple Maps faster than my iPad 3... and the iP5 is faster than either of them.

Maybe it's time to bump the capabilities of the iPad 3???

I think the next iPad will be an absolute beast just considering the technology available in the iPhone 5:

The Apple A6 SOC dual-core CPU outperforms the Apple A5X SOC dual-core CPU
    The Apple A6 SOC tri-core GPU outperforms the Apple A5X SOC quad-core GPU
    The Apple A6 SOC CPU 32 nm process technology (versus 45 nm process technology for the new iPad)
    The Qualcomm M9615 (although this model is unlikely) 28 nm process technology (versus 45 nm process technology for the new iPad)

Unfortunately, the new iPad has a comparatively underpowered GPU considering the retina display. Hopefully, the result will be a more powerful but much lighter iPad.
  • Reply 128 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Technically the new maps app is brilliant, for use as a GPS to get someone from A to B it's pretty much up there with the best. But where it falls down is the low res or black & white maps that covers much of the world and missing data in terms of where things are.

Simple example, open up google maps in the browser and the school, chip shop, supermarket, post office, off licence etc etc are all listed around me. Open up Apple Maps and you get the road names and nothing else at all.

As a GPS it's class, for everything else that we have come to expect of maps on the iPhone/iPad it's useless.

Sure, in the US it's better than in the UK or anywhere else but that is not really an excuse.

Yes it will get better, yes one day it will be superior in every way to Google Maps, yes if I wanted to I could live in my browser for map data but that is hardly a premium experience is it.

Apple Maps is a beta product, the apology from Tim as nice a guy as he is does not make up for that.

If you look at the acknowledgments section in the App, you will find the following listed as 3rd party partners in the USA:

TomTom, Acxiom, AND, CoreLogic, DigitalGlobe, DMTI, Intermap, Urban Mapping, Waze, Yelp, Flickr, NASA, OpenStreetMap, US Census, US Geological Survey, and the US National Mapping Agency.

Placebase, Poly9, and C3 Technologies are mapping companies acquired by Apple, the first two of which are pretty much restricted to the USA as their area of expertise and dataset. As an Apple subsidiary, they will now have to globalise their operational area.

To roll out a similar level of reliability and accuracy elsewhere in the world would require a slew of equivalent agreements and partnerships, which no doubt are occurring behind the scenes as we whinge and whine away. As an example, look how many more things can now be done by Siri in ever more languages, including sports results in foreign leagues and divisions. These are accomplished by partnership arrangements and lots of work behind the scenes.

Rome was not built in a day...

• Reply 129 of 180
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    If you look at the acknowledgments section in the App, you will find the following listed as 3rd party partners in the USA:

<span style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:19px;">TomTom, Acxiom, AND, CoreLogic, DigitalGlobe, DMTI, Intermap, Urban Mapping, Waze, Yelp, Flickr, NASA, OpenStreetMap, US Census, US Geological Survey, and the US National Mapping Agency.</span>

<span style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:19px;">Placebase, Poly9, and C3 Technologies are mapping companies acquired by Apple, the first two of which are pretty much restricted to the USA as their area of expertise and dataset. As an Apple subsidiary, they will now have to globalise their operational area.</span>

<span style="line-height:19px;">To roll out a similar level of reliability and accuracy elsewhere in the world would require a slew of equivalent agreements and partnerships, which no doubt are occurring behind the scenes as we whinge and whine away. As an example, look how many more things can now be done by Siri in ever more languages, including sports results in foreign leagues and divisions. These are accomplished by partnership arrangements and lots of work behind the scenes.</span>

<span style="line-height:19px;">Rome was not built in a day...</span>

Please provide a source for the statement "the first two of which are pretty much restricted to the USA as their area of expertise and dataset."
  • Reply 130 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

To roll out a similar level of reliability and accuracy elsewhere in the world would require a slew of equivalent agreements and partnerships, which no doubt are occurring behind the scenes as we whinge and whine away. As an example, look how many more things can now be done by Siri in ever more languages, including sports results in foreign leagues and divisions. These are accomplished by partnership arrangements and lots of work behind the scenes.

Rome was not built in a day...

One thing I have noticed is the Spanish Siri is considerably less informed than her English counterpart which I speculate is due to the fact that perhaps Wofgram, Yelp, and the various other data sources that she searches are not as capable of responding to queries in Español.

• Reply 131 of 180
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Really? I must have missed the articles that, for a random representative set of locations compared Google Maps on iOS5 to Apple Maps on iOS6 and prove this. Maybe you can post the links to them? But if they're just the typical, "Maps couldn't find my house," rant, don't bother, since that doesn't meet the criteria specified. I posted a link earlier that's representative of the type of evidence that's acceptable to support such assertions, and it show quite the opposite of what you are claiming. Why don't you go read it and come back when you can provide some links that have at least that standard of proof.

As I already said, just look at Kyoto.
    An entire major city is hardly a detail.

Is an entire mountain range a detail?

And here is a zoom on a pond at the foot of that mountain on the right.

• Reply 132 of 180

To use GPS in Airplane mode, you need to turn on Wifi. You don't need to connect to any networks, but the iphone will figure out where you are (roughly) through the access points.

• Reply 133 of 180
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    baopei wrote: »
    To use GPS in Airplane mode, you need to turn on Wifi. You don't need to connect to any networks, but the iphone will figure out where you are (roughly) through the access points.

So after you've turned on Airplane Mode you can enable WiFi and it will also enable GPS? I would have thought that GPS would still be disabled and only a WiFI-based location service, like Skyhook, would be able to work at that point.
  • Reply 134 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Welcome aboard there awoolman. Do you herd sheep? We already can assume you are an iSheep. Just kidding in case my American sarcasm does not translate. image

Hello mstone. In as much as I advised my son to buy a Galaxy just a couple of days ago, and bearing in mind that I live in a cheese-making area surrounded by cowbells, I suppose you could say that I am an iCow. ;).

But otherwise, yes, I have used Apple computers since the Apple II, even if I do have a PC. Is that a problem? And no, I don't rush out to get the latest Apple gizmo. I don't have an iPad and my phone, that still works perfectly well, is an iPhone 3GS stuck on iOS4. (Takes another mouthful of grass.)

• Reply 135 of 180

Originally Posted by baopei View Post

You don't need to connect to any networks, but the iphone will figure out where you are (roughly) through the access points.

Then that's not GPS… That's not even Wi-Fi mapping, that's just cell tower triangulation.

• Reply 136 of 180
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by baopei View Post

So after you've turned on Airplane Mode you can enable WiFi and it will also enable GPS? I would have thought that GPS would still be disabled and only a WiFI-based location service, like Skyhook, would be able to work at that point.

GPS does not work in Airplane mode, even with WiFi re-enabled.

• Reply 137 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

As I already said, just look at Kyoto.

An entire major city is hardly a detail.

I think it would be difficult to find any random examples where Apple imagery was even on par with Google let alone exceeding it. I think the burden of proof is on him and not just reporting on someone else's work where they have found an isolated instance or two that shows Apple maps imagery equivalent to Google's. By in large the opposite is true. If you wanted to make a criteria for an objective test perhaps it should be any suburban town or village between 40-80 kilometers from a city of 1+ million population. This would represent a real world usage scenario in my opinion. There are several such towns in my area and having panned around in the maps for days I can't say I was able to find any case that would support the notion that Apple maps are better.

I would have been extremely happy if Apple maps imagery was better than Google's. It just isn't, in my experience. I'm am sure there are plenty of Android trolls who would always characterize Apple as inferior but that is certainly not my agenda. If you have any of your own examples of Apple imagery being better than Google's (not previously published by someone else) please post them.

• Reply 138 of 180
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I found some instances in remote places of Africa where apple maps had better resolution than google maps, but it was in black and white, so it depends. I still haven't found a single 2D map that has better color treatment than google maps. Even the world view on maps looks unsaturated and just bland.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/13984/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 139 of 180

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I found some instances in remote places of Africa where apple maps had better resolution than google maps, but it was in black and white, so it depends. I still haven't found a single 2D map that has better color treatment than google maps. Even the world view on maps looks unsaturated and just bland.

That earth view is not real imagery in either case so the color rendering is a subjective illustration. I do give credit to Apple in the zoom level changes how they blend the colors through the transition although It does add a certain fake quality to the representation. I think they do that primarily to help mask the abrupt color changes from one image to the next, but at some zoom levels the color is artificial. The grayscale imagery is really disappointing.

• Reply 140 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Finally got a chance to compare iOS 5 and iOS 6 maps today, between my 1st gen and a 2nd gen iPad. 

IT SCREAMS. Might have been the iPad change, but I doubt it. It's flipping fast, it's flipping gorgeous, what the heck is the problem with people. Yeah, I found some errors, even in my city. Reported 'em. Piece of cake (really wish the window for reassigning pins took up more of the screen). They'll be fixed.

Apple already has the lynchpin of the equation: gorgeous maps that are leaner and faster than anything available. The data comes second. And boy, will it come.