Google, Samsung reported to take on iPad with high-end 10-inch tablet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86

Two posts ago should have read "The vastly inferior product goes beyond the screen" not battery.  Had battery on my mind since I was needing to charge my phone. 

• Reply 42 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jivanile wrote: »

Yes it is as far as numbers go.  Doesn't mean it's inferior because tests have shown it to be the opposite. It has less cores than some, less ram than some, less Ghz than most.  The numbers is all I was referring to compared to other flagship phones.  Still outperforms in almost every way so it's impressive how the whole package comes together. 

No offense, but only someone who is ignorant would look at MHz to determine performance. If you want to say it has less MHz, less RAM, less weight, less thickness as all signs of it being lesser then that is technically true but it's not accurate in any technical sense of it functionality. It's not a fluke or a result of just some crafty OS code. There are real technical achievements that allow for it to be better than all other phones on the market.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I got the same treatment at three separate Verizon Stores.  Big time. And when questioned why the hard non-sell, all swore it's just because they think the droids are better devices. So it puzzles me.  Is there a bigger commission on the sales floor?  Lower device cost to the franchisee?  Pressure from Sprint (which doesn't make a lick of sense, since they've committed to buying, what 15 million in three years whether they move them all or not anyway, and made the buy because it made the company seem still relevant)??

Anybody??  I just can't puzzle it out without more facts....

Bigger commission, maybe. Why a bigger commission? Maybe because Verizon can install more crapware and spyware, and consequently reap greater dividends than from the sale of an iPhone. Or maybe Android users don't use the Internet as much, so they're cheaper to support. Or maybe Android users feel compelled by the "high quality" to upgrade sooner, even at full, unsubsidized price.

• Reply 44 of 86

Quote:

Samsung exploited an unmet market segment.  It astounds me that the largest company in the world can't design and release two different size phones per year, despite what the market is telling them.  Yeah, yeah, one-handed thumb, schmum.  1. We don't all have the same size hands, 2. the bigger screen is a trade-off for two handed operation at times.  A trade-off millions are obviously ready to make.  There's more than one ergonomic factor in a design and some value the better viewing experience of their pics and other media over the Ives/Jobsian aesthetic. 

Of course, now that iOS 6 is committed to the 16:9 UI thing, Apple may have ridden into a "letterbox" canyon and have a real developer problem if they ever decided they wanted to enter the segment, as a 4.8" screen in those proportions would either have to adopt other proportions or else be so tall it would stick out of pockets and just pop out of bras....

Solipsism X, meet v5v.  You're both onto something here....

DocNo42, meet Solipsism X.   He's gonna learn you somethin'....

Android's hot around here - particularly the new Sammy....  ...I know I enjoy picking it up in stores and fiddling...

Why does your b's b-in-law desperately try to persuade people to buy a non-iPhone?  I ask 'cos I got the same treatment at three separate Verizon Stores.  Big time. And when questioned why the hard non-sell, all swore it's just because they think the droids are better devices. So it puzzles me.  Is there a bigger commission on the sales floor?  Lower device cost to the franchisee?  Pressure from Sprint (which doesn't make a lick of sense, since they've committed to buying, what 15 million in three years whether they move them all or not anyway, and made the buy because it made the company seem still relevant)??

I can tell you that my bros bro in law does not do it because he's a Fandroid.  I've seen him with every kind of phone maker and OS and he could care less about the usual arguments of phones.  Personally I hate talking about work when I'm not at work so I try not to talk to people about their work and have never had a long coversation with him about it but.  From what I gather though, is Apple has a product that sells itself and doesn't give in to demands that the usual suspects such as verizon, at&t and sprint are accustomed to in the past and still do with all other phone makers except Apple (No carrier bloatware, price discounts and variations to distinguish from the other carriers are some examples).  For that reason the margin on Apple is much less and so sales profits for the franchisees are higher when they sell a non iPhone.  Remember though he's a part owner so that is how it affects him.  As far as just a employee who works for a hourly wage and commission, it's possible they are entitled to more of a commission for an Android phone but I highly doubt that is the case.  I think the commission for them is the same on either phone that is sold and are either told to do so from the employer or it's just their own mind at play and they let their blind fanboy beliefs work on selling another Android phone.  If they go as far as to make accounts at Apple themed websites just to argue that iPhone sucks to strangers, can you imagine them at play while working selling the products. 

One day I will ask him in more detail just to share it with the people on here but until that day, you have my take on it.

• Reply 45 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I think it's a given it will be a Snapdragon S4 Pro which is a pretty fast SoC. It's similar to an A6 performance-wise, and that's the problem. By next year it's almost guaranteed the iPad 4 will have Apple's custom ARM processor (maybe even quad core) coupled with PowerVR 6xx which will make it the performance king once again.

Android's problem is that it will never perform as good as iOS - it's just not as efficient. An Android device will always require a more powerful SoC and increased RAM to give similar performance. The fandroids like to talk specs (and especially RAM) but they keep forgetting that they're starting at a disadvantage by running a less-efficient OS.

I like to think in terms of cars. HP=CPU, torque=GPU, cylinders=cores, vehicle=OS.

The GS3 has 400 HP and 400 lb/ft of torque coming from a V8 engine.

The iPhone 5 has 360 HP and 1,000 lb/ft of torque coming from an I4 engine.

The iPhone 5 gives up a little in HP, but kills in torque which is what really helps in daily driving. And it does it with a smaller engine that consumes less fuel and takes up less space.

But what really kills is the operating system. The GS3 is a 4,000lb car while the iPhone 5 is a 2,600lb tube frame race chassis. This is why the iPhone 5 kills in application benchmarks (real world use) even though it's slightly slower in pure synthetic benchmarks (GeekBench, which only considers engine HP and doesn't account for engine torque or the weight of the car).

To continue your automobile analogy a bit further... the CS3 will burn through fuel faster then the iPhone, leaving the GS3 parked along the roadside while the iPhone makes it home. Either that or the GS3 will need a bigger gas tank which comes at the expense of more weight. By mid 2013 you will be able to spot a GS3 user because he will have suspenders AND a belt to hold their cargo pants up when they slide that wide fat puppy into their pocket. 

• Reply 46 of 86
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Well there needs to be some sort of competition.  We can't have one brand only in the whole world making tablets and smart phones.  Really.  It's gonna happen sooner of later.  I think it makes Apple stay on top of things.  Reinvent itself again like it did so many times.  The only difference is Jobs not being apart of it.  Lets hope that Apple's existing group of designers can stay ahead of the curve.  I mean its a brutal battle ground.  Constantly making and developing products to quench the enemy's missiles of "our better products than Apple".  It is gonna happen.  The rest of the industry is gonna try and take Apple down.  The competition is gonna make something to hurt Apple, and Apple needs that.  It rally's the troops and makes them do better or come up with more innovative products we never knew we needed like the real smart phone with a finger stylus.  Who knew?  

My question is why do you think that Apple will not continue to improve their product line without these piles of crap that are out there????? They need the people to keep buying their products. Just saying.

• Reply 47 of 86

Quote:

Samsung exploited an unmet market segment.  It astounds me that the largest company in the world can't design and release two different size phones per year, despite what the market is telling them.  Yeah, yeah, one-handed thumb, schmum.  1. We don't all have the same size hands, 2. the bigger screen is a trade-off for two handed operation at times.  A trade-off millions are obviously ready to make.  There's more than one ergonomic factor in a design and some value the better viewing experience of their pics and other media over the Ives/Jobsian aesthetic. 

Of course, now that iOS 6 is committed to the 16:9 UI thing, Apple may have ridden into a "letterbox" canyon and have a real developer problem if they ever decided they wanted to enter the segment, as a 4.8" screen in those proportions would either have to adopt other proportions or else be so tall it would stick out of pockets and just pop out of bras....

Solipsism X, meet v5v.  You're both onto something here....

DocNo42, meet Solipsism X.   He's gonna learn you somethin'....

Android's hot around here - particularly the new Sammy....  ...I know I enjoy picking it up in stores and fiddling...

Why does your b's b-in-law desperately try to persuade people to buy a non-iPhone?  I ask 'cos I got the same treatment at three separate Verizon Stores.  Big time. And when questioned why the hard non-sell, all swore it's just because they think the droids are better devices. So it puzzles me.  Is there a bigger commission on the sales floor?  Lower device cost to the franchisee?  Pressure from Sprint (which doesn't make a lick of sense, since they've committed to buying, what 15 million in three years whether they move them all or not anyway, and made the buy because it made the company seem still relevant)??

Also don't forget Verizon didn't get the iPhone for years and Verizon had to go on the offensive with the droid's.  We all remember the crap that was motorola droid and it's commercials of a robot using the phone but never showing a human using it.  Great advertising!  Anyway for them I'm sure many of it's employees got droids back than and became anti apple.  I'm sure that mentality exists at Verizon in many employees minds to this day who have been working for that long.  They still practice the same tactics.  Not saying all the Verizon employees you faced got to where they are at because of that but many still do exists across Verizon stores.  I don't live in the States no more, moved back to Canada, and I haven't seen that happen much here.  Seems like the last couple phone reps at my Koodo phone store I've dealt with didn't have an opinion.  They both had iPhones and I bought a Android phone from one of them and he didn't for a second try to talk me into anything else.  Just did what I asked of him.  Prefer it that way. 

• Reply 48 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

To continue your automobile analogy a bit further... the CS3 will burn through fuel faster then the iPhone, leaving the GS3 parked along the roadside while the iPhone makes it home. Either that or the GS3 will need a bigger gas tank which comes at the expense of more weight. By mid 2013 you will be able to spot a GS3 user because he will have suspenders AND a belt to hold their cargo pants up when they slide that wide fat puppy into their pocket. 

That's assuming that by mid 2013 Samsung phones still fit in pockets. 

• Reply 49 of 86
    mocsegmocseg Posts: 86member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

My household is now Microsoft-free, except for son's Windows 7 Netbook (high school mandatory equipment). And we are all very happy, except for my son.

Funny, but students in the lower grades will be allowed iPads to school, which is good news.

We're also so very happy being Microsoft & Apple OS free. What a relief!

• Reply 50 of 86
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No it's not.

Exactly.

J.

• Reply 51 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jivanile wrote: »
    That's assuming that by mid 2013 Samsung phones still fit in pockets. 

The incremental selling point of the past 3 generations of Galaxy phones has been a larger screen, so one wonders what size they're going to pitch for a GS4.

mocseg wrote: »

Then you're here to troll? Otherwise, it seems you're lost, because this isn't a Linux or Android site.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

No it's not.

It doesn't matter because those are just paper specs.

Apple has come up with a dual core phone that beats the competition's quad core devices.

I don't understand why the IT press isn't going mental over this. Imagine what Apple's chip designers can do with a quad-core device,

• Reply 53 of 86
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

Apple open source work on cups for Linux...

...being able to print, what a relief!

• Reply 54 of 86
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    2560x1600? So a 16:10 tablet? Why can't we have 16x10 back where it belongs: on computer monitors!

We can, a number of companies still produce 16:10 monitors
  • Reply 55 of 86
    solipsismx wrote: »
    In 2013 an ARM Cortex-A15 with an Img Tech Rogue GPU all at 32nm on a tablet with the display specs mentioned and reasonable battery life, size and weight will be feasible. I have no doubt this rumour is at least partially true in regards to the display resolution but it'll be too little too late. Apple's iPad (3) has a resolution that is plenty high enough so moving forward Apple will simply have a thinner, lighter, and faster iPad over the competition and no "we have higher resolution" spec sheet claim is going to convince anyone reasonable to buy their device.

Well, there is a whole group of people out there who have a settled disposition against owning anything made by Apple. (I wonder if they also avoid eating apples or drinking apple juice, and maybe even applewood smoked bacon just to be safe). Anyway, this tablet is for them. The iPad is for everyone else. And the iPad will outsell this by probably 10,000-to-1.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    2560x1600? So a 16:10 tablet? Why can't we have 16x10 back where it belongs: on computer monitors!

It will mirror their phone's unlike the iPad's to the iPhone's. Less fragmentation.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

... I ask 'cos I got the same treatment at three separate Verizon Stores.  Big time. And when questioned why the hard non-sell, all swore it's just because they think the droids are better devices. So it puzzles me.  Is there a bigger commission on the sales floor?  Lower device cost to the franchisee?  Pressure from Sprint (which doesn't make a lick of sense, since they've committed to buying, what 15 million in three years whether they move them all or not anyway, and made the buy because it made the company seem still relevant)??

It's all of the above: Bigger commission, lower device cost (with same phone/contract price), carriers wanting more control, which Android gives them, as well as spiffs (per device sold payments to sales staff) from the handset manufacturers. People swear to things that aren't true all the time.

• Reply 58 of 86

Quote:

A higher resolution and higher PPI means nothing if you don't have the SW that runs smoothly on it. Even with Butter I highly doubt Google Android can power such a display smoothly.

I wonder what the Samsung fans will say when they find out it's LCD and not AMOLED.

On top of Butter Google will add Marmelade to run Android smoother on retina display tablets.

• Reply 59 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Apple open source work on cups for Linux...

...being able to print, what a relief!

Linux is a great server OS, but using it for your desktop to be "Apple OS free" is like heating your home with a wood stove to be "green".

• Reply 60 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

On top of Butter Google will add Marmelade to run Android smoother on retina display tablets.

I believe that technology is actually called "Marmite".