'iPad mini' expected to be released on Nov. 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's obvious to you too, isn't it TS? More colors is the thing that makes the most sense, and the easiest way for Apple's mini to stand out. I suspect there's a lot of casual buyers who might pay a $50 or more premium simply because it was "pretty" or came in their favorite color...

and within 6 months color options will be common for most smaller tablets.

That follows with what I've been saying about this rumoured device being pretty much like the iPod Touch but with a larger display. Take the iPod (Classic) and all rest of the iPod line, or the iPhone v. iPod Touch. It's black/white v. colours down the line with the cheaper device having all the colors. I don't expect a premium on the colour choices unlike the MS Surface but I think as many as the iPod Touch (or perhaps fewer if certain anodizing just don't look right with the much larger casing) will likely appear with this category.
  • Reply 22 of 72

I'm not sure if that was sarcasm.. but TS is saying that the original iPad's invite (posted above) reflects lots of colors, and it was then available only in black. Therefore negating any relevance to color options that the invitation might have.

• Reply 23 of 72
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It would make sense with Apple's "more" comment and multi-hued invite. "More" colors. As far as unprecedented, Apple's advertising focus in the new Touch commercials is just that.

By "somewhat unprecedented" I meant that Apple has never done colours in a brand new product to my knowledge.  

They usually do the colours thing for youth oriented products that are at the end of their design cycle when they have basically run out of other design changes. It's the same as running shoes or chrome trim and fins on cars.  When you can't actually make the design better, that's the moment when you come out with multi-coloured versions with fancy flashing and so forth.  You also start to throw in gimmicks at that point like springs in your shoes or plastic straps to hold your iPod with.  Previous to this stage, it's the design of the product itself that sells it.  

I could easily be wrong, but I don't think the invite predicts anything at all, (since the original iPad invite was also multi-coloured), and since the mini is an entirely new product and new design, I think it unlikely that they will need to flash it up with a bunch of colours.  

• Reply 24 of 72
    gazoobee wrote: »
    By "somewhat unprecedented" I meant that Apple has never done colours in a brand new product to my knowledge.  

They usually do the colours thing for youth oriented products that are at the end of their design cycle when they have basically run out of other design changes. It's the same as running shoes or chrome trim and fins on cars.  When you can't actually make the design better, that's the moment when you come out with multi-coloured versions with fancy flashing and so forth.  You also start to throw in gimmicks at that point like springs in your shoes or plastic straps to hold your iPod with.  Previous to this stage, it's the design of the product itself that sells it.  

I could easily be wrong, but I don't think the invite predicts anything at all, (since the original iPad invite was also multi-coloured), and since the mini is an entirely new product and new design, I think it unlikely that they will need to flash it up with a bunch of colours.  

IMac and iPod mini come to mind.

Now, I didn't pick up on TS's original comment about the original iAd teaser but I still colors could help sell this device better than without.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

More colors is the thing that makes the most sense, and the easiest way for Apple's mini to stand out. I suspect there's a lot of casual buyers who might pay a $50 or more premium simply because it was "pretty" or came in their favorite color...

I doubt we will see anything but white or black. Don't most people put their iPad in a case anyway? 

• Reply 26 of 72
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's different about the design other than screen size? Color would help differentiate and would add some fun. It would be pretty boring if we lived in a world that was just black, white and silver.

I think Apple needs to do something to not make this seem like a "me-too" product. So I hope they have something to wow us with next week.
  • Reply 27 of 72

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What's different about the design other than screen size?

It's 4:3 instead of 16:9.

I think Apple needs to do something to not make this seem like a "me-too" product.

Nothing they do will change this.

• Reply 28 of 72
    mstone wrote: »
    I doubt we will see anything but white or black. Most people put their iPad in a case anyway. 

Do people put their iPod Touches in cases? How about 7" tablets? I'm holding strong that colours make a significant amount of difference in sales if they can pull off the anodizing on a much larger case.
  • Reply 29 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

So basically it's a price change. 

No it's not. They are dumping the 8GB and making the 32GB at the same $249 price point the 16GB currently is at. The speculation is the 16GB goes to $99. I don't think you have any 'guys at Google' if you can't even spell NEXUS correctly.

EDIT for my 199 typo.

• Reply 30 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

No it's not. They are dumping the 8GB and making the 32GB at the same $199 price point the 16GB currently is at. The speculation is the 16GB goes to $99. I don't think you have any 'guys at Google' if you can't even spell NEXUS correctly.

I think you meant a rumored $249 (the current 16GB price) for a 32GB Nexus7 didn't you?

• Reply 31 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do people put their iPod Touches in cases? 

Kids don't care about taking care of their iPods, especially if they didn't pay for it with their own money. Also iPods are pocketable so in a way the pocket is the case. iPads are being put down on various surfaces all the time. That anodizing is going to get dinged up in a hurry without a case. That is not how Apple wants to stand out. "Oh look that's an Apple iPad I can tell from all the scratches."

• Reply 32 of 72

Quote:

Do people put their iPod Touches in cases? How about 7" tablets? I'm holding strong that colours make a significant amount of difference in sales if they can pull off the anodizing on a much larger case.

Do more people really put their ipads in cases anymore? The two I've owned I've only ever had with a smart cover

• Reply 33 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You answered yourself with the overly clever tiny white text.  :-)

Seriously though, just because it's a cliche, doesn't make it untrue.  I use my iPad for a lot of things, I don't just watch movies on it on the bus, I do actual work with it.  Android running on the Nexus 7 (just for starters), lacks a decent keyboard as well as any serious productive apps like Pages, Garage Band, good drawing apps etc.

If you just want to check Twitter and look up crap on Google you're fine, but you need an iPad and iOS to get any real work done. 

You think any 7" tablet is meant for production? As far as a relative lack of tablet specific Android apps go, that's a given. I've also no idea what's not decent about the keyboard, ignoring that's there's several non-stock options available in GooglePlay (FWIW I tend towards voice dictation rather than typing). But it's still back to the original question: How is the Nexus7 software lacking compared to iOS?

• Reply 34 of 72
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It's 4:3 instead of 16:9.
    ah, so the comparison was to othe tablets, not the larger iPad.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    Kids don't care about taking care of their iPods, especially if they didn't pay for it with their own money. Also iPods are pocketable so in a way the pocket is the case. iPads are being put down on various surfaces all the time. That anodizing is going to get dinged up in a hurry without a case. That is not how Apple wants to stand out. "Oh look that's an Apple iPad I can tell from all the scratches."

So what about cases on iPads? I had the case for the original iPad because it was also a stand. Since then I've only ever had the Smart Cover, as johnnyb0731 states.

So far Apple has shown no interest in having multiple users per device so an expensive iPad might be a way for an entire family to have its own. How do you differentiate easily? I'd say colours does that nicely.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

So they took the iPad 2 and grafted a smaller screen on it.  That is nothing impressive.  Apple already has an iPad Mini, it is called the iPod Touch.  They both do the same thing.  4:3 aspect ratio, still?...how forward thinking of them.  Another version of the iPad that will be terrible for watching video.  

• Reply 37 of 72

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

4:3 aspect ratio, still?...how forward thinking of them.  Another version of the iPad that will be terrible for watching video.  

But infinitely better than 16:9 at every other function it undertakes. 16:9 is not the right format for computer monitors or tablets.

• Reply 38 of 72
    hillstones wrote: »
    Apple already has an iPad Mini, it is called the iPod Touch.

There is nothing tabletesque about the iPod Touch. It's a PMP. It's pocketable. It's designed as such.
  • Reply 39 of 72

Quote:

So what about cases on iPads? I had the case for the original iPad because it was also a stand. Since then I've only ever had the Smart Cover, as johnnyb0731 states.

s

So far Apple has shown no interest in having multiple users per device so an expensive iPad might be a way for an entire family to have its own. How do you differentiate easily? I'd say colours does that nicely.

The current iPad is aluminum color so the scratches don't show so much, although I've always had a front and back cover for mine. I went without a case on all my iPhones until this version. I really don't like the plastic case very much as it makes it difficult to slide the phone in and out of my pocket but I don't want it to get scratched. I like the scratch resistance of the previous model although it was a lot heavier. I'm not a big fan of the anodizing to be honest. 

• Reply 40 of 72
    The current iPad is aluminum color so the scratches don't show so much, although I've always had a front and back cover for mine. I went without a case on all my iPhones until this version. I really don't like the plastic case very much as it makes it difficult to slide the phone in and out of my pocket but I don't want it to get scratched. I like the scratch resistance of the previous model although it was a lot heavier. I'm not a big fan of the anodizing to be honest. 

I think it'll follow the iPod Touch "look" as much as possible but I do wonder if they can do an aluminium case whilst keeping the right price points. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we did saw a departure from metal to plastic for the casing of this device.