'iPad mini' expected to be released on Nov. 2

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The 32GB Nexus7 is not longer a rumor. Some Staples are already selling them today, If anyone is curious it has 28GB usable, with 4GB for the OS.  

What price? $249. . . But no colors.

How did you get a 4GB OS? Are you doing what Dick did and interchanging BASE2 with BASE10 without converting or did you look at the base install being represented as a BASE 2 value then convert to BASE10 to get your 4 GB for the OS?
  • Reply 62 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How did you get a 4GB OS? Are you doing what Dick did and interchanging BASE2 with BASE10 without converting or did you look at the base install being represented as a BASE 2 value then convert to BASE10 to get your 4 GB for the OS?

Perhaps doing just as Dick did, with the added error of forgetting about preinstalled apps. In any case it reports 28GB available on the system screen when new out of the box..

• Reply 63 of 72
    Perhaps doing just as Dick did, with the added error of forgetting about preinstalled apps. In any case it reports 28GB available on the system screen when new out of the box..

1) Just do the conversion to get a reasonable count. As previously noted in another thread 32 GB using the BASE10 count is only 29.80 GB using the standard BASE2 count for an OS. That means with formatting, OS and any included apps are closer to 1.8 GB in size. To reiterate, the way NAND is made means that they are over the bare minimum requirement of 32,000,000,000 bytes but it's nominal.

2) If it comes with the default build I'd call that part of the OS for all intents and purposes.
  • Reply 64 of 72

BTW some blogs are reporting the current iPad lineup will also get a refresh, to be announced alongside the mini during Apple's Oct. 23rd event. Pricing is reported to be unchanged, still ranging from $499 to $829 and storage options should be the same. At least a few hardware changes are expected with changing to a lightning connector and adding LTE support as no-brainers.

• Reply 65 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why do you people continue to call it a "7-inch" tablet when it's predicted to be way closer to being an 8-inch (7.85", to be exact)  tablet?

To justify your existence, which seems to be all about looking for opportunities to put down people, whether justified or not.

• Reply 66 of 72

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

To justify your existence, which seems to be all about looking for opportunities to put down people, whether justified or not.

I fail to see how it's a put down in any capacity.

"You people" might fit, but I can see how that can be taken as "the people who call it that".

I'll tell you why, Anant; humans are lazy. Same reason they're too frigging lazy to say the three syllables in 'iPod touch'. 

• Reply 67 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I fail to see how it's a put down in any capacity.

"You people" might fit, but I can see how that can be taken as "the people who call it that".

I'll tell you why, Anant; humans are lazy. Same reason they're too frigging lazy to say the three syllables in 'iPod touch'. 

You're right. On its own, it ain't much of a put-down. Guess I am just conditioned by his pattern.

As for lazy, it is not more work to call it an 8" iPad. It's more a case of following someone's lead.

• Reply 68 of 72
    BTW some blogs are reporting the current iPad lineup will also get a refresh, to be announced alongside the mini during Apple's Oct. 23rd event. Pricing is reported to be unchanged, still ranging from $499 to $829 and storage options should be the same. At least a few hardware changes are expected with changing to a lightning connector and adding LTE support as no-brainers.

It would be unprecedented if they made and announced change to a current lineup. The mid-cycle iPad 2 revision was silent and they altered nothing but the lithography of the ASIC so you ended up with increased battery life.

Going to 32nm and in-cell would be interesting as they could make it thinner and lighter for the same battery life or make it last that much longer. The problem with the latter is that once they advertise, say, 13 hours of usage they can't easily back down from that moving forward. Adding the Lightening connector is the only thing I can imagine them easily advertising as a change and even if they did other things, unless we are to expect the 4th gen iPad to continue with at least the same usage duration.
  • Reply 69 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It would be unprecedented if they made and announced change to a current lineup. The mid-cycle iPad 2 revision was silent and they altered nothing but the lithography of the ASIC so you ended up with increased battery life.

Going to 32nm and in-cell would be interesting as they could make it thinner and lighter for the same battery life or make it last that much longer. The problem with the latter is that once they advertise, say, 13 hours of usage they can't easily back down from that moving forward. Adding the Lightening connector is the only thing I can imagine them easily advertising as a change and even if they did other things, unless we are to expect the 4th gen iPad to continue with at least the same usage duration.

I don't expect anything major either Soli. More a bit of tweaking, saving the 'big stuff" for the normal refresh iPad4

• Reply 70 of 72
    I don't expect anything major either Soli. More a bit of tweaking, saving the 'big stuff" for the normal refresh iPad4

The dock connector is an interesting scenario since it's never come up before. The more I think of it the more I think Apple could very well push this to other devices. Did any new iPod, save for the iPod Shuffle, not get the the new connector?
  • Reply 71 of 72
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Apple rtstaed the industry in the smart phone and tablet computing. Now they have to keep up or fall behind.  That makes Apple to have to reinvent it's self again.  Without Steve Jobs it's gonna be up to Sir Ives to really create some thing incredible that we never knoew we needed.  image image image

• Reply 72 of 72

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Apple rtstaed the industry in

Wait a minute, what?