Rumor: Image allegedly shows 9.7-inch iPad with Lightning port

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    harbinger wrote: »

I am a bit surprised by this ... Surely they will have a fair inventory of 30-pin iPads to unload? Will the price drop for those?

Not if they slowed down production

What's the rationale for rushing this "upgrade"? Is it because they want to stop stocking 30-pin cables asap?

They would still need the old cables for the older devices
  • Reply 42 of 89

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They would still need the old cables for the older devices

Apple will be selling Dock Connector accessories for seven years, so I don't get the idea of a sense of urgency.

Again, I believe this image, but I also believe it's silly to do. There are more important things that can be done to spur on Lightning adoption than this. 

On a truly differing note, Apple's refusal thus far to put Thunderbolt on the Mac Pro is hurting its adoption. It's the pros that buy into new tech first.

• Reply 43 of 89
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    So those of us who bought the original iPad 3 with it's overheating and short battery life can swap it for free?

Such a quick release of an update is surely an admission by Apple that it was a dud.
  • Reply 44 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    So those of us who bought the original iPad 3 with it's overheating and short battery life can swap it for free?
    Such a quick release of an update is surely an admission by Apple that it was a dud.

Please tell me you forget the /s tag.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153599/rumor-image-allegedly-shows-9-7-inch-ipad-with-lightning-port#post_2215644"]Mid-cycle updates are very un-Apple like. What's so important that they couldn't have waited until the iPad 4?.

Unless the big surprise is that this is he iPad 4th gen and they are switching it to a pre holiday release rather than post one.

Sure some folks will be peeved about the short cycle but it isn't like your iPad 3rd gen is going to stop working.
  • Reply 46 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple will be selling Dock Connector accessories for seven years, so I don't get the idea of a sense of urgency.

Where do you get such a specific time frame?
    Again, I believe this image, but I also believe it's silly to do. There are more important things that can be done to spur on Lightning adoption than this.

It's certainly not helping but I can't imagine the sales are high enough to make a dent of more than a few sales if they only updated it it with Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Where do you get such a specific time frame?

Certain states, California included, require that all electronics such as computers be serviceable for at least 7 years after they are made. So Apple will have to have charging etc cables available until those devices are old enough to be past those rules
  • Reply 48 of 89

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's certainly not helping but I can't imagine the sales are high enough to make a dent of more than a few sales if they only updated it it with Thunderbolt.

Eh, I suppose you're right.

• Reply 49 of 89

Maybe it is just a lightning connector change and Apple won't even mention it, or they'll just quickly gloss over it? If it's such a minor change they wouldn't really have to talk about it much during the conference, yet it would still be showing up in the retail systems as new. I remember before the 3rd gen iPad was released they announced new smart covers that fully covered the device. Apple didn't even mention the new design during that conference at all. Granted a port change is a bit bigger but still....

They might have felt it was better to change it now rather than in the spring when the 4th gen iPad comes out. You know Apple will most likely continue to make the 3rd gen device when the 4th gets released. Might as well do it now if they'll be doing the same in the spring anyway right? Just a few more days and all will be revealed I suppose.

• Reply 50 of 89

Originally Posted by MusicComposer View Post

They might have felt it was better to change it now rather than in the spring when the 4th gen iPad comes out. You know Apple will most likely continue to make the 3rd gen device when the 4th gets released.

Why? And why? Why would they do that when they're selling a smaller model? 

• Reply 51 of 89
    Why the Apple logo seems to look like it has been photoshopped?
  • Reply 52 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Perhaps, but having everything come out within 2 months of each other every year seems like a poor business decision to me. You not only have ramp up issues across many devices but make it difficult for customers to choose between flagship devices if there are too many releases at the same time. On top of that, tech that makes up the components are not on the same cycle. For instance, the 32nm chips weren't ready for the iPad (3) but are ready now and the Rogue 6 GPUs might not be ready for the 4th gen iPad which could be an issue.

Personally, I do think this iPad "mini" is a reactionary release to get a cheaper tablet out for the holidays in order to keep their competitors from occupying the low-end of the market, even if it isn't very profitable. They are best to own it all like they did with the iPad, not like they do with the iPhone and Mac, despite making the most money of all vendors in all 4 categories.

Agreed.

• Reply 53 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? And why? Why would they do that when they're selling a smaller model? 

I'm not sure if you are a simple and "eager-to-learn" person, or just challenging people for the sake of challenging people.

The iPad mini is not the $399 iPad 2.

The iPad mini is also not the $399 iPad 3 next spring.

The mini and full-sized iPads belong to different lines of the same product category.

• Reply 54 of 89

Quote:

And what "mid-cycle" updates?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

I'm struggling to think of a precedent myself.

How about the iPhone 4 coming out mid-cycle for Verizon... I know you can poke holes in any release, but it did mean that people who got the 4 were faced with the 4S a few months later. No one seemed to whine all that much...

• Reply 55 of 89
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

You're kidding, right? The fact that Apple hasn't updated any of their iDevices in a timeframe under 1 year in the last six years hasn't tipped you off to that?

Actually, Apple did modest bump to the original iPhone mid-year:

4 and 8 GB: June 29, 2007

16 GB: February 5, 2008

I remember it vividly because it was going to be super-expensive on the one hand, but a massive upgrade in terms of storage.  I decided to wait.

Also, the Verizon iPhone was a mid-year announcement (January 11, 2011), upsetting many who had just signed contracts months earlier.

And wasn't there another mid-year model that had a baseband upgrade of some sort?

It seems to me that Apple typically doesn't do midyear upgrades, but only because of all the effort that goes into the whole development, production and launch process.  However, I don't that from stopping them from doing a midyear "bump" when there are things they want to migrate people towards (like Lightning). 

While I don't think customer backlash is an issue here, I'm not entirely convinced it's going to happen.

• Reply 56 of 89
    I am very concerned by this. The iPad 3 ain't even hot off of its debut this year and a possible updated version is already hitting the shelfs. How freaking stupid. But Apple is a public company and are slaves to their investors and them folks on Wall Street.
  • Reply 57 of 89

lol. only plugin port changed.

apple, is that the best you can do ?

• Reply 58 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

lol. only plugin port changed.

apple, is that the best you can do ?

how do you know that?

besides.. the best that apple can do = the best the tech world can do.. so you do not make any sense.

now go on defending your korean company aka criminals, thiefs.

• Reply 59 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I am very concerned by this. The iPad 3 ain't even hot off of its debut this year and a possible updated version is already hitting the shelfs. How freaking stupid. But Apple is a public company and are slaves to their investors and them folks on Wall Street.

what are you talking about? stupid why?

are you insane? why not update when they can/makes sense for them? it will be supported anyway..

besides that the new GPU next year will provide a great update all by itself.. now we need an a6x, IGZO.

• Reply 60 of 89
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member

It is true, though, that Apple wanted IGZO, but had problems getting them in quantity. The new iPad is at best a stopgap. Why? Because of the battery. That is an 42.5-watt-hour battery in the new iPad. It makes the new iPad thicker, heavier and charging time is way too long compared to iPad 2. But more importantly, it costs Apple more money to put in a battery almost twice the rating of the iPad 2.

So Apple was in a pickle. They really wanted to give people IGZO with the thin form factor and 25-watt-hour battery that charges fast (very important in education environment), but they couldn't get it out the door in March. So Apple CEO Cook might have been the practical guy, more so than Jobs. He may have said, get this stopgab out, because we need something new; and we get the better screen and smaller battery later in the year. Unprecedented upgrade cycle for Apple? Maybe, but maybe Cook is a more practical man.