Rumor: Image allegedly shows 9.7-inch iPad with Lightning port

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The tech world is spinning faster, and...

1. Apple sees the need to bump the specs on their products more often.

2. Newer tech can be folded into the products more often then once a year.

3. Apple wants to serve notice to the competition that they can (and will) disrupt the markets at any time; not just once a year.

4. Competition is heating up and Apple needs to retain market leader status by being more active at disrupting the markets.

5. Any or all of the above are possible before using "price" to own the market.

Thanks for the good points.

I strongly agree with points 4 and 5.  But I think we have to remember Apple sells tens of millions iPhones and iPads every year.  It is not so easy when the products have to be "perfect" and when you have to produce so many in a short time fame.

• Reply 82 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Whether there's any connection, a few blogs are now reporting a Nexus10, meaning a 10" tablet, is being revealed at a previously-announced Google event on the 29th. Said to be introducing a particularly his-res 16:10 display at 2560x1600 or approx. 300ppi (for reference the iPad is 264), it was co-developed by Google and Samsung according to the reports. Like the Nexus7 it will also be sold directly on GooglePlay along with other retailers.

http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/10/21/revealed-everything-that-google-will-announce-at-its-android-event-on-october-29/?utm_source=Twitter&awesm=tnw.to_c6KI&utm_ca

Another example of how competition pushes all the players to up their game.

• Reply 83 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And? So what? Look at Apple's product lines.

The iPhone does not have any smaller models. It sells last year's model cheaper.

The iPod does not have any older models. It sells smaller models cheaper.

Why would the iPad have both? 

The iPhone is not the iPad.  The iPhone is not the iPod.  The iPad is not the iPod.  The iPod touch is not the iPod nano.  The iPod nano is not the iPod shuffle.  The iPad is not the iPad mini...  Please stop thinking like Microsoft users with no creativity and no understanding of people in general.

The iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 are all iPhones.  They provide different value at different price points (they are like differently spec-ed iPhones).  It is my opinion that Apple will keep this strategy for the full-sized iPad.  Also, Apple owns the equipment that produces these products.  These machineries typically last 2 to 3 years, and Apple does not want to just throw them out when there is a new design.  Please refer to Horace Dediu on this.

At the same time, the iPad mini is designed to target a different audience and/or different usage pattern.  So it's like the iPod vs. iPod mini (back then).  A different product line within the category.

• Reply 84 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Whether there's any connection, a few blogs are now reporting a Nexus10, meaning a 10" tablet, is being revealed at a previously-announced Google event on the 29th. Said to be introducing a particularly his-res 16:10 display at 2560x1600 or approx. 300ppi (for reference the iPad is 264), it was co-developed by Google and Samsung according to the reports. Like the Nexus7 it will also be sold directly on GooglePlay along with other retailers.

http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/10/21/revealed-everything-that-google-will-announce-at-its-android-event-on-october-29/?utm_source=Twitter&awesm=tnw.to_c6KI&utm_ca

Another example of how competition pushes all the players to up their game.

It seems that Samsung has become an expert in scheduling products "around" Apple.

Samsung released the S3 about 6 months after the iPhone 4S, and now the so-called Nexus 10 6 months after the new iPad.

• Reply 85 of 89
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    melmel wrote: »

It seems that Samsung has become an expert in scheduling products "around" Apple.

Samsung released the S3 about 6 months after the iPhone 4S, and now the so-called Nexus 10 6 months after the new iPad.

And in turn is besting Moto and HTC with that schedule.
  • Reply 86 of 89

Originally Posted by melmel View Post

The iPhone is not the iPad.  The iPhone is not the iPod.  The iPad is not the iPod.  The iPod touch is not the iPod nano.  The iPod nano is not the iPod shuffle.  The iPad is not the iPad mini...  Please stop thinking like Microsoft users with no creativity and no understanding of people in general.

Yes, because Apple has never done similar things across different lines of product. They certainly don't put a bunch of different products under the same banner and run them with the same thoughts and ideas in mind. And hey, Apple absolutely cannot do something with a new product that they have done with an older, ludicrously similar product at any point in the past. This cannot happen.

¡

• Reply 87 of 89

iOS 6.1 after holidays image

• Reply 88 of 89
    I remember hearing about the heat problem in the iPad (3) being about a second LED strip used in back lighting and that they were going to be doing something about that. That mixed with the new Lightning connector and the iPad being the last device (other than the classic and AppleTV) that use the 30 pin connector, seems like a good time for a mid-cycle upgrade.
  • Reply 89 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, because Apple has never done similar things across different lines of product. They certainly don't put a bunch of different products under the same banner and run them with the same thoughts and ideas in mind. And hey, Apple absolutely cannot do something with a new product that they have done with an older, ludicrously similar product at any point in the past. This cannot happen.

Yeah, I get your sarcasm, and I'm sorry for skipping your big "i" or Spanish exclamation mark in the quote.  It takes up too much space.

Before rebutting people's ideas, could you first read others' messages more carefully and think deeply?

If you need parallels, the full-sized iPad line will be marketed like the iPod touch now.  Last year's model will still be available.  Customers see the 5th gen iPod touch and 4th gen iPod touch as differently spec-ed devices at different price points.  At the same time, you have the iPod nano.  The difference between the touch and nano is not in the specs.  It's in the usage pattern in general.  Same thing with the iPad mini.

5th gen iPod touch = iPad 3

4th gen iPod touch = iPad 2

iPod nano = iPad mini

I hope my logic is clear.  I'm trying to explain why I think you are wrong in that Apple will drop the iPad 2.