Product leaks prompt Apple CEO Tim Cook to take security to new levels

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105

This is a great site but it is rare to see repetitive posts go on for 15 posts.  Most people are friendly and trying to poke fun.

Don't give up on the site, it's a great apple info site!

• Reply 62 of 105
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NakedApe2 View Post

Third:  What's up with this place?  Nastiness, very few posts overall, little diversity of opinion, and lousy software and/or servers?  There's plenty of other forums to discuss Apple stuff.  Who the heck needs this?

Last time:  Why the heck won't this post?

PEBCAC? Or Windows hiccup on your end?

• Reply 63 of 105
    There are folks here who have criticized Tim Cook for running a looser ship than Steve Jobs. This article (or rather the one at Ars) clearly shows what any intelligent person would have discerned - it is difficult to keep the lid completely closed when you are ramping up to build millions of units of any products and when there is more interest in your products than just about any other company in the world. This challenge increases every year because the number of suppliers is increasing, the production volumes are escalating and the level of interest is mounting.

Comments like "Steve would not allowed these leaks" should not appear again; they are simple indictment of the intellect of those who write them.
  • Reply 64 of 105
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NakedApe2 View Post

I hit Submit, and nothing happened.  I hit it again, and got a beach ball, and then that cleared and I got the same screen as though it was not submitted.  So I tried again and again.

And what accounts for all the nastiness directed towards a new poster? Why does this site allow it?

Edit:  Same thing again.

Second Edit:  And again.  Spinning beach ball with a grayish screen, then returned to the Editor panel.  I'll try again, and if it doesn't work this time, I'll go elsewhere.

I heard a neat definition of insanity once. Was something like "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome".

• Reply 65 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Last time:  Why the heck won't this post?

You've said that before, Why should we believe you this time?

• Reply 66 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You've said that before, Why should we believe you this time?

I tried to delete the dupes, but this crap forum software doesn't seem to allow that.

Buh bye, Apple Insider!

• Reply 67 of 105
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    nakedape2 wrote: »

I tried to delete the dupes, but this crap forum software doesn't seem to allow that.

Buh bye, Apple Insider!

I'm sorry it happened, but no one else seems to have this particular problem, not to this degree. A double post happens on occasion. Are you running weird plug-ins that modify web page content? Are you blocking javascript?

And yes, this forum software is shit.
  • Reply 68 of 105

I think someone should check on nakedape2. He may have just dropped dead with his finger on the "Send" key.

• Reply 69 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In one example, an unnamed employee said only a handful of Apple workers were allowed to take a new iOS device off campus for real-life use. That person found it "really disturbing" that a device that would be shipped to millions of customers would see such limited testing.

How was it with the first iPhone? I guess there weren't so many engineers involved at that time, were there?

• Reply 70 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In one example, an unnamed employee said only a handful of Apple workers were allowed to take a new iOS device off campus for real-life use. That person found it "really disturbing" that a device that would be shipped to millions of customers would see such limited testing.

How was it with the first iPhone? I guess there weren't so many engineers involved at that time, were there?

They also pre announced it several months in advance.

• Reply 71 of 105
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Apple legal used to issue cease-and-desist orders to sites that published photos of components etc. (Remember ThinkSecret.com?) I wonder why they don't do that any more.

As for component leaks from suppliers, I doubt that can ever be stopped. Device repair companies probably pay factory workers to sneak parts out of factories. They get tons of page hits and publicity when they post photos of leaked parts. (And the workers could even bring the parts back the same day, after the photos are taken, so nothing is "missing" for long.)

The need for tight security begins years ahead of an actual product release. If Apple can keep product plans secret, then they'll have a huge lead time over their competitors / copiers. This is when it's critical to prevent leaks from Apple engineers and designers. Especially since Apple spends quite a long time evaluating, iterating, and polishing each product. But just a few weeks from product release, security isn't that critical. In fact, spy photos may actually increase demand for the products. (Possibly answering my own question in the first paragraph.)
  • Reply 72 of 105

Quote:

They also pre announced it 6 months in advance.

oh, sorry, I forgot this tiny detail. You're right.

So, it means the risk of any issue not being discovered and corrected is more likely with any new version of an existing product line but a completely new category.

• Reply 73 of 105
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Dont be fooled these leaks are goid for marketing.
  • Reply 74 of 105

GET BENT, CONRADJOE.

Or would you prefer Hyrem Gestan? I am a Zither Zather Zuzz? NakedApe2? George Howard? Joe Blicker? Howser? josephj? Heller? Josephus? Terrence22? ignatz? JerrySwitched26? 

• Reply 75 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nakedape2 wrote: »
    Given that Apple has always had tight security, and given that they have recently made it even tighter, my conclusion is that the recent "leaks" in the media are really stories planted by Apple to get advanced publicity.  You can't buy that kind of PR!

Apple knows how to best get a lot of buzz about their products, and how to make sure that lots of people are waiting to buy on day one.  So far, the strategy has worked very well.

Controlled "leaks" to generate buzz are good when you have no mindshare. All this does is ruin's Apple's events when we already know what is coming.

The only controlled "leaks" a company like Apple might do are false ones to root out gaps in the security so they can close them up.
  • Reply 76 of 105
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member

Quote:

They also pre announced it several months in advance.

But they also had a working models at announcement.  Hardware was done... it was the software that was being fine tuned. 

• Reply 77 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

GET BENT, CONRADJOE.

Or would you prefer Hyrem Gestan? I am a Zither Zather Zuzz? NakedApe2? George Howard? Joe Blicker? Howser? josephj? Heller? Josephus? Terrence22? ignatz? JerrySwitched26? 

How can you recognize users, by IP address? and what if his/her ISP changes it daily?

• Reply 78 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

But they also had a working models at announcement.  Hardware was done... it was the software that was being fine tuned. 

a working prototype that the members of the tech media could try after the announcement, each one for a few minutes...

anyway, hardware can be tested in labs, IMO.

• Reply 79 of 105
    Who the hell goes to work at Apple and yet is amazed at its tight security measures? Get the faq outta here!
  • Reply 80 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

Or perhaps, it wasn't in mass production yet. For sure, it wasn't being produced at nearly the same scale.