Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera

Comments

• Reply 41 of 151
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    evilution wrote: »
    For the first time ever, I feel let down by Apple. 
    I liked the fact that when you were an early adopter to an iPhone or iPad you knew you had a year+ until the next one was released.
    This throws everything that I know to be true about Apple out of the window.
    I'm a disappointed member of the Apple family.

This is one of the funniest things I've read after a product update/improvement.
  • Reply 42 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I liked the fact that when you were an early adopter to an iPhone or iPad you knew you had a year+ until the next one was released.

Surprise! That was never a contract Apple made with you in writing. Besides, with Windows Surface about to, um, surface, Apple needs to keep the pressure on. After all, the iPhone 3GS was also a spec bump to the otherwise successful iPhone 3G, but it was needed to keep Palm Pre from gaining traction. In other words, this "fourth gen" iPad is also just enough of a refresh that it keeps iPad competitive. It's for the best.

The fact is, even without the A6X, the iPad 3 isn't suddenly obsolete, not by a long shot. You just have a case of early adopter spec envy. If that's really a problem, the cure starts at $499.

• Reply 43 of 151
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

... the global moderator...

What's in a name? It's natural for him to want to maintain sales and keep Apple's revenue high. Thanks to him and others like him, many people may have recently bought iPad 3s that will be returned. Soon we'll see them on the refurbished list for $120 less.

• Reply 44 of 151

I've been wanting an ipad for awhile now.....but was waiting for today. Some said not to wait, that there would not be an "ipad4" yet, just an ipad3 with the new lightning plug. I'm very glad I waited. I will be ordering a new ipad4 Friday.

I assume the smart cover stays the same, although the new one for the ipad mini is a bit different. They did not say anything about a change in that.  I too wonder what happens to all of the ipad3's out there.....but for me I guess it is a moot point because I want the ipad4.  

I know many are going to like the ipad mini, but it seems to me it is too small for my taste. I also know saying that is premature because like many Apple products, the "wow" factor comes when it is in your hands. I've not yet owned an ipad, so I cannot relate to those who say "it is too big" or "it is too heavy". Hopefully I'll be happy with my purchase. If not, one is never "stuck" with an Apple product. 

I just hope the stuff you read about it getting too hot, etc will not occur with the new one.

• Reply 45 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Go and find satisfaction elsewhere then!

• Reply 46 of 151

STUNNING!

APPLE JUST KICKED THE DOORS DOWN ON THE REST OF THE MOBILE INDUSTRY!

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 47 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Didn't I read somewhere that Microsoft and Google/Sammy have some tablet related announcements in the next few days?

Allegedly. http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/21/3533548/google-samsung-nexus-10-android-4-2-rumor

• Reply 48 of 151
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

So what's the pricing on the now discontinued iPad 3s still in the channel?

I would guess that they'll be sold as 'refurbished' but they'll be new.

• Reply 49 of 151

They are changing the upgrade cycle to 6 months now. The iPad mini may be upgraded in 6 months with retina display. The iPhone 5 may be upgraded soon as well.

• Reply 50 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Surprise! That was never a contract Apple made with you in writing. Besides, with Windows Surface about to, um, surface, Apple needs to keep the pressure on. After all, the iPhone 3GS was also a spec bump to the otherwise successful iPhone 3G, but it was needed to keep Palm Pre from gaining traction. In other words, this "fourth gen" iPad is also just enough of a refresh that it keeps iPad competitive. It's for the best.

The fact is, even without the A6X, the iPad 3 isn't suddenly obsolete, not by a long shot. You just have a case of early adopter spec envy. If that's really a problem, the cure starts at $499.

If they stop making them then it is technically obsolete.
  • Reply 51 of 151
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

They are changing the upgrade cycle to 6 months now. The iPad mini may be upgraded in 6 months with retina display. The iPhone 5 may be upgraded soon as well.

Highly unlikely.  More likely the decided their iOS devices are the biggest sellers, they want them available in brand spanking new versions before the holidays.  Move teh iPads to the fal land now all iOS devices have a fall release.  Let spring and summer be upgrades on the OS X machines and other assorted Apple goodies.  Spring and Summer is when a lot of the Intel releases happen anyway.  If they update the desktop and laptop lines in the quarter before new iOS devices come out, it helps pick up the slack of people slowing purchases so they get the newst iOS device.

• Reply 52 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

One year cycle is just too long when the new latest Android stuff come out every few months that leapfrog each other. There is simply no way that Apple can claim to have the technological "lead" when they have to wait a year to release new products - especially with mobile devices, not so much with PC's. Apple can go for significant new launches once per year and spec upgrades in between. This could also smoothen out the seasonality peaks and valleys somewhat and not have people just wait out 3 months for the next big launch of the iPhone and iPad.

• Reply 53 of 151
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Good point!

• Reply 54 of 151
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Sad mine isn't the newest any more, but they needed to get a lightning connector iPad. They have to phase out the 30-pin to make the switch complete. I imagine this also does a good job bringing people from the iPad 2 who didn't realize the benefit to the retina screen a little early-- drop from 24 months to 18 months. Not sure what it will do to me though... I don't think I can swap after 12 months...
  • Reply 55 of 151

Their next event could be in the spring to announce a new Mac Pro (Ha!) or a TV Set (Ugh). I hope its the former.

• Reply 56 of 151
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member

Competition is getting fiercer. So I don't mind this faster upgrade cycle. It is normal in the PC industry -- only not normal for Apple. But Apple has to stay at competitive edge. I don't buy people moaning about the iPad 3 being obsolete. It still works fine. Yes, people buying now get faster. But as Steve Jobs said, there's always something faster around the corner. That's technology.

• Reply 57 of 151
    To me this is the big news of the day. Quad Core GPGPU and the new A6X processor with Retina Display makes this a great platform to deploy books and applications for the mobile space.

Gaming got another big boost with this announcement.

Businesses will be going nuts buying an iPad mini/iPad 4 for their staffing on the go, to the military and all levels of government.

Now if Apple can just hit it out of the park with a Mac Pro in 2013 I'll forgive the Mac mini and the anorexic iMac.
  • Reply 58 of 151
    I still have an iPad 1 - it's fine. Still does exactly what it said it would, still love it.
  • Reply 59 of 151

Tampons...

• Reply 60 of 151

Hey Apple, great screw job on all those who bought the "new iPad". Please include a tube of KY in all future iPad packaging!!