Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera

Comments

• Reply 121 of 151
    It's no mystery why Apple released the IPad Mini and IPad 4. These products are meant to compete with the smaller e-reader market and the Microsoft Surface, respectively.

Apple has the highest quality products on the market so with the Mini they're looking to steal customers away from competitors like Amazon, and with the iPad 4 they're trying to over shadow the release of the Surface.

It's just business.
  • Reply 122 of 151
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

For the first time ever, I feel let down by Apple. 

I liked the fact that when you were an early adopter to an iPhone or iPad you knew you had a year+ until the next one was released.

This throws everything that I know to be true about Apple out of the window.

I'm a disappointed member of the Apple family.

Is it just me or does anyone else agree that iPad 4 is really the big announcement, not iPad mini? Mini may turn out too expensive to take on the huge bottom-feeder market for low-cost devices that Amazon and Samsung already own. This one is the Surface killer. This review http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/microsoft-surface-1085839/review says “Microsoft is intending to go toe-to-toe with the Cupertino brand in the tablet arena”. No doubt the way they did with Zune: selling last year’s model with new features no one wants.

Maybe some recent iPad buyers are disappointed but I bet they are not half as disappointed as Microsoft.

• Reply 123 of 151
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipm View Post

Is it just me or does anyone else agree that iPad 4 is really the big announcement, not iPad mini? Mini may turn out too expensive to take on the huge bottom-feeder market for low-cost devices that Amazon and Samsung already own. This one is the Surface killer. This review http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/microsoft-surface-1085839/review says “Microsoft is intending to go toe-to-toe with the Cupertino brand in the tablet arena”. No doubt the way they did with Zune: selling last year’s model with new features no one wants.

Maybe some recent iPad buyers are disappointed but I bet they are not half as disappointed as Microsoft.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I agree that the iPad 4 announcement is underreported, but I am not sure that people were suffering from any speed problems on the iPad 3, so it is not clear how much of a selling point the 2x speed boost is right now (it obviously is going forward, where people are going to develop fancier games, etc). The better FaceTime camera is certainly a win, but in my opinion the real issues with the iPad 3 are battery life (which may be improved in the iPad 4 -- Apple did not seem to dwell too much on this), and storage (if Apple sold a 128GB model, I would certainly buy one).

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 124 of 151
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernSoul35 View Post

It's no mystery why Apple released the IPad Mini and IPad 4. These products are meant to compete with the smaller e-reader market and the Microsoft Surface, respectively.

Apple has the highest quality products on the market so with the Mini they're looking to steal customers away from competitors like Amazon, and with the iPad 4 they're trying to over shadow the release of the Surface.

It's just business.

To steal a line from SJ, I am pretty sure that the surface is DOA, and not because Apple has released a faster iPad. PC makers are making Win 8 ultrabooks, which give much more functionality than the surface at similar cost. In particular, they are having ACTUAL keyboards and ACTUAL intel processors, so people can run ACTUAL windows applications.

• Reply 125 of 151

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Didn't you think it very odd that they'd showcase a competing product in their presentation? Are they so afraid of the Nexus 7 that they had to convince people why the iPad mini is better?

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Steve would never have joked about a competitor. Apple is doomed.

Yeah, the first iPhone's introduction didn't show MULTIPLE competitors on the screen or anything. image

The intro of the aluminum iMac didn't show a Dell computer on the screen or anything. 

When Apple starts showing competitors' products in their ads, then you can start being alarmed. 

Originally Posted by philipm View Post

Is it just me or does anyone else agree that iPad 4 is really the big announcement, not iPad mini? Mini may turn out too expensive to take on the huge bottom-feeder market for low-cost devices that Amazon and Samsung already own. This one is the Surface killer. 

I believe that Apple didn't need to do this to kill the Surface.

I believe that since Apple did this, zero people outside Microsoft who aren't in the Anti-Apple Brigade will have any reason to buy the Surface. 

• Reply 126 of 151

Almost there... when the iPad 9.7" gets as thin as the iPad Mini in depth and width I will finally buy an iPad.  I may even get the iPad Mini when they inevitably put out the retina version this time next year, or sooner.  So probably iPad 5th gen and Mini 2nd gen will be the one's that entice me in...  I love the look of the mini.  It needs to be translated into the 9.7" version as soon as possible!

• Reply 127 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I agree that the iPad 4 announcement is underreported, but I am not sure that people were suffering from any speed problems on the iPad 3, so it is not clear how much of a selling point the 2x speed boost is right now (it obviously is going forward, where people are going to develop fancier games, etc). The better FaceTime camera is certainly a win, but in my opinion the real issues with the iPad 3 are battery life (which may be improved in the iPad 4 -- Apple did not seem to dwell too much on this), and storage (if Apple sold a 128GB model, I would certainly buy one).

Well the better LTE support makes it more of a proposition in developing LTE territories such as here in the UK.  It should have been all those bands first time out though..

• Reply 128 of 151

I honestly don't see how Apple would do a processor speed bump and a connector replacement as a hedge against Surface, which has no proven record at all. Any proof that people are lining up to buy the Surface because it is proven to be faster than iPad 3? That line of reasoning is not reasonable at all. I'd like to say this was a matter of streamlining manufacturing, but the A6X ? A6. And don't forget they are calling this a new generation iPad. There is more to this than meets the eye. But we may never find out why.

• Reply 129 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You might end up with a refurbished model.

You WILL get a refurbished model. If you didn't everyone would be doing it.
  • Reply 130 of 151

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

I honestly don't see how Apple would do a processor speed bump and a connector replacement as a hedge against Surface, which has no proven record at all. 

They've just taken the Surface from a "Well… maybe…" purchase to a "Pshh, ha! Like I'd buy that with THIS available!" purhcase.

• Reply 131 of 151
    Apple still left the screen unchanged, so that leaves wide open the possibility of them introducing the improved screen bonding techniques seen in the MacBook Pros and now iMacs.

The iPads DESPERATELY need the reduction in glare achieved from this process. I'd say this could still be on the cards for a March/April update, along with a possible case refresh.
  • Reply 132 of 151

hehehehe. So what else is new, about Apple and its predecessor Apple Computer?????

This has been Apple's strategy since the 1970s.  But.. the U.S. automobile manufacturers do that , too. So..  Why not Apple?

That is the main reason I do not buy Apple products.

Although Apple's marketing and user interface capabilities are top notch, Apple's love and compassion for their customer base has never been there and never will be there...  ever!

HOA

• Reply 133 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Third gen iPad obsolete after only 6 months. Thanks Apple.

hehehehe. So what else is new, about Apple and its predecessor Apple Computer?????

This has been Apple's strategy since the 1970s.  But.. the U.S. automobile manufacturers do that , too. So..  Why not Apple?

Although Apple's marketing and user interface capabilities are top notch, Apple's love and compassion for their customer base has never been there and never will be there...  ever!

HOA

• Reply 134 of 151

Originally Posted by handsomestofall View Post

So your point for being here at all is what?

HOA

I guess that stands for Completely-full-of-nothing-but-lies-and-FUD On Arrival. 

• Reply 135 of 151

Well, I've been waiting for awhile to buy an ipad......got to jump in sometime. Friends who have one tell me they do wish it were lighter, etc. But basically I have two options.....buy now or wait. one could wait forever for the "perfect" product. Friends who have an ipad seem to love it....they hardly touch their laptops anymore. 

So what is the worse that can happen? I buy one. I start using and loving it. In six months they might come out with a thinner, lighter one with almost non-glare glass and who knows what. Or perhaps not until a YEAR later.  At that time I either keep it, sell it and upgrade or give it to my kids and still buy the newest one. At least I get the pleasure of using one.

If the next one comes real soon I will do my best to remember this post and not whine. It's just an ipad....I use it, enjoy it, and if the value drops due to a newer one that is nothing compared to what some good folks deal with in life. To those who are crying big time, go visit a homeless shelter, soup kitchen or a nursing home or a cancer ward......THAT will keep things in perspective.

I'm thinking it is time to jump in.....in life one seems to regret the things they do not do more then what they do. I'm psyched.....I'm buying an ipad!

• Reply 136 of 151
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

I'm thinking it is time to jump in.....in life one seems to regret the things they do not do more then what they do. I'm psyched.....I'm buying an ipad!

The best time to jump into any Apple product is right at or very near launch IMO.

• Reply 137 of 151
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    "Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz) "

How on earth can they claim it's twice as fast as before?? It's exactly the same.
  • Reply 138 of 151
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

I honestly don't see how Apple would do a processor speed bump and a connector replacement as a hedge against Surface, which has no proven record at all. Any proof that people are lining up to buy the Surface because it is proven to be faster than iPad 3? That line of reasoning is not reasonable at all. I'd like to say this was a matter of streamlining manufacturing, but the A6X ? A6. And don't forget they are calling this a new generation iPad. There is more to this than meets the eye. But we may never find out why.

It could have as much to do with Google's event on Monday. The recent Nexus products seems to have gotten Apple's attention, sometimes unwanted I might add (think IP claims).image

http://briefmobile.com/google-nexus-10-samsung-android-4-2

• Reply 139 of 151

Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

"Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz) "

How on earth can they claim it's twice as fast as before?? It's exactly the same.

Because it didn't have dual-band n before.

• Reply 140 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

All these products being unveiled today only mean one thing. Apple's new TV gets unveiled in Spring of 2013.

Not at all. All the products being unveiled simply means they were unveiled. It means nothing about a new Apple TV box, a 'real' TV, whether there will be a spring iPad or anything else.