2014 Mac mini Wishlist

Comments

• Reply 1441 of 1528
    wizard69 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

Err I think the guy you are responding to, means that something completely new is coming.

I know, was just pulling his leg. I see statements like this one and get the point, but why write it down like this?
    I actually thinks there is a good possibility here. There are a number of options ID like to see. One would be a keyboard with a computer built in. The other is a scaled down Mac Pro designed with a nod to the old Crays.

The computer in a keyboard would be so damn convienent that I would jump on a couple right away. The Min Cray is because of my whimsical nature, priced right I could buy a couple of those too.

Don't think they do a scaled down Mac Pro, but a keyboard with the computer in it might very well be done by them. They know all about miniaturising components, and simply having a TB cable running from the keyboard to a (powered) the screen can be an elegant solution.

Of course, it wouldn't be anything like this:

http://www.fungur.com/computer-keyboard/
  • Reply 1442 of 1528
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I know, was just pulling his leg. I see statements like this one and get the point, but why write it down like this?
    Don't think they do a scaled down Mac Pro, but a keyboard with the computer in it might very well be done by them. They know all about miniaturising components, and simply having a TB cable running from the keyboard to a (powered) the screen can be an elegant solution.

Of course, it wouldn't be anything like this:

No it wouldn't be like that, I could do better than that!

As for an Apple keyboard based computer I see all the parts starting to fal in place to make a really decent machine for people with entry level needs, maybe even more advance needs.
    1. As you indicate TB is a big factor here as that simplifies the wiring tremendously.
    2. The latest WiFi standards are also positive developments that solve the communications problems.
    3. Flash memory is a huge factor as it allows for low power storage that is fast and cool.
    4. Perhaps the biggest issue is the advent of integrated SoC that run extremely cool. With Intels focus on table capable chips and far lower power laptop chips such a keyboard could be made with no fan or a very modest fan. Then you have the potential of Apples ARM based chips. Select the right chips and other hardware and Apple could have a viable machine out the door for less that $400 maybe as low as $300 even.
  • Reply 1443 of 1528
    ^ post

I think a numerical keyboard is large enough to make it a fanless design. The heat can dissipate easily, except the bottom rim shouldn't get too hot; hands sometimes rest there.

And yes, that design is outdated and looks hideous now. I am really thankful for Apple getting rid of optical discs. They have their use, but not in modern computing.
  • Reply 1444 of 1528
    I think a numerical keyboard is large enough to make it a fanless design. The heat can dissipate easily, except the bottom rim shouldn't get too hot; hands sometimes rest there.
    It is certianly possible but the important thing here is that a small fan gives Apple significant wattage capability. At best a fanless design would be limited to about ten watts from the CPU and even that is a lot heat in one place. A tiny laptop fan would allow them ten to fifteen watts of CPU SoC power.

There are all sorts of considerations but in my mind I see an aluminum keyboard housing that is designed to be a heat sink also. With Apples ARM solutions this should be a comfortably warm design. I could see them doubling the performance of an iPad easily and still maintaining a nice thermal profile. It looks like Intel is about to ship parts that could perform similarly. This wouldn't be a bad machine at all for a few of the uses I have in mind.

A unitized keyboard like this would be great as a CNC machine controller if the price is keep reasonable.
    And yes, that design is outdated and looks hideous now.
    Let's face it, the design looked like crap the first day it shipped. I'm actually thinking Apple could ship such a machine in a keyboard less than an inch thick if it wanted to. As noted above one use I would have in mind is as a machine controller/interface, a fan less, sealled keyboard would be ideal here. Hell give me a machine with free access to the USB ports and driver installation and it can even run IOS. The preference of course would be Mac OS but the reality is the machine would most likely be single tasking in the sense of only one important app running at a time.
    I am really thankful for Apple getting rid of optical discs. They have their use, but not in modern computing.

Honestly I always like optical disks. At this point though USB flash dongles are obviously a better choice for most users. That is for data, the other reality is that there is nothing chepaer than DVD movies brought second hand. So I have mixed feeling about optical
  • Reply 1445 of 1528
    It is certianly possible but the important thing here is that a small fan gives Apple significant wattage capability. At best a fanless design would be limited to about ten watts from the CPU and even that is a lot heat in one place. A tiny laptop fan would allow them ten to fifteen watts of CPU SoC power.

There are all sorts of considerations but in my mind I see an aluminum keyboard housing that is designed to be a heat sink also. With Apples ARM solutions this should be a comfortably warm design. I could see them doubling the performance of an iPad easily and still maintaining a nice thermal profile. It looks like Intel is about to ship parts that could perform similarly. This wouldn't be a bad machine at all for a few of the uses I have in mind.

I don't see them moving to ARM due to the ramifications. But I can envision a fan-less keyboard. Just look at the components it needs for it to be a Mac: a motherboard; those are designed flat, memory, SSD, WiFi/BT chip - all flat. Put the I/O in a new Retina TB monitor and you may just have a Mini in a keyboard. Of course, the need to change the tagline: BYODKM

700 700

In short, take the display and battery out of a MacBook.

Honestly I always like optical disks. At this point though USB flash dongles are obviously a better choice for most users. That is for data, the other reality is that there is nothing chepaer than DVD movies brought second hand. So I have mixed feeling about optical

I think the discs are too large nowadays. There's a reason USB sticks are popular. But yes, one can easily give away a copy of a DVD with a movie or data; sticks tend to be reused by the owner and not given out. Well, apart from the promotional stuff from companies.

(images courtesy of iFixIt >)
  • Reply 1446 of 1528
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

In your opinion do you think Cook will announce a new mac mini coming out in this presentation ?

• Reply 1447 of 1528
    marvfox wrote: »
    In your opinion do you think Cook will announce a new mac mini coming out in this presentation ?

I don't, but aren't sure the question was directed at me.

With 2400 journalists receiving an invitation, I don't think there will be any HW Mac news at all.
  • Reply 1448 of 1528
    I don't see them moving to ARM due to the ramifications.
    that is the thing I don't see the ramifications. Of course I don't see this device being a direct replacement for the Mini either.
    But I can envision a fan-less keyboard. Just look at the components it needs for it to be a Mac: a motherboard; those are designed flat, memory, SSD, WiFi/BT chip - all flat. Put the I/O in a new Retina TB monitor and you may just have a Mini in a keyboard. Of course, the need to change the tagline: BYODKM
    Exactly!????????????. Modern electronics are essentially flat. A keyboard by definition has to cover a certain amount of area so there is plenty of room to spread out the circuitry that can be spread out.

In short, take the display and battery out of a MacBook.
    I think the discs are too large nowadays. There's a reason USB sticks are popular. But yes, one can easily give away a copy of a DVD with a movie or data; sticks tend to be reused by the owner and not given out. Well, apart from the promotional stuff from companies.
    Yes but that ability to swap DVDs for little to no cost is still a big advantage.
    (images courtesy of iFixIt >)

Just looking at the boards in an iPhone, Raspberry Pi or iPad should make people realize the potential here. The difference here is Apple would comparatively have unlimited space and hopefully the desire to pursue performance.
  • Reply 1449 of 1528
    I don't, but aren't sure the question was directed at me.

With 2400 journalists receiving an invitation, I don't think there will be any HW Mac news at all.

Well a little time has passed and now we know no new Mini yet. Sad really. Pretty impressed with what was delivered today though. The payments program looks to be very well thought out and appears to be getting huge support in the industry.

I might even be willing to actually upgrade my iPhone 4 this time around. Need to shop around for a better contract, the problem is I'm grandfathered in on this one.
  • Reply 1450 of 1528
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

You are right. No new mac mini at all in this presentation.

• Reply 1451 of 1528
    Yes but that ability to swap DVDs for little to no cost is still a big advantage.

One that was agreed upon by a good friend of mine, just yesterday. He's on a 2007 iMac and is going to upgrade. I explained all the tiddybits and new features, and the ones left out. Sure enough, he's getting that $79 external Super Drive. I told him that was soooo 1996 but he shares photos and stuff with friends, and doesn't want to buy a whole bunch of USB sticks. So yeah, ODD still useful.
    Well a little time has passed and now we know no new Mini yet. Sad really. Pretty impressed with what was delivered today though. The payments program looks to be very well thought out and appears to be getting huge support in the industry.

I might even be willing to actually upgrade my iPhone 4 this time around. Need to shop around for a better contract, the problem is I'm grandfathered in on this one.

Indeed, a fantastic keynote, solid product and bright future. Macs will continue to come, obviously, I do think this year a new Mini, new iMac next year. Pro don't know, laptops I can't figure out...

I always buy contract free as it's cheaper. And have the freedom of moving from carrier to carrier if I want to. Only done twice though...
  • Reply 1452 of 1528

Hopefully, now that the iOS dog-and-pony-show is over, we can get back to the good stuff.

We will almost surely get an iMac update before Christmas, and I hope the Mini replacement.

iPads have to be refreshed as well, and maybe the Retina MacBook Air if it is ready.

I thought I'd seen a Xeon E5 update with more cores floating around the web, but I don't know enough about the chip side of things to predict if there's a Mac Pro update coming.

• Reply 1453 of 1528
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I thought I'd seen a Xeon E5 update with more cores floating around the web, but I don't know enough about the chip side of things to predict if there's a Mac Pro update coming.

I kind of wonder if the Haswell Mac Pro won’t have two options. Either one CPU and two GPUs or two CPUs and one GPU…

• Reply 1454 of 1528
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is a huge middle area where things are either not small enough or not large enough to find the finances to have everything on servers, cloud or thumb drives.

That means optical disc as a storage medium makes a lot of sense.

It may sound old fashioned to many but when working with fire alarm plans they are still sent in for review as hard copy. After being signed by the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) one copy is kept for their files. Many are just now requesting a copy on optical disc as a back up. Much easier to file DVD's than thumb drives. DVD's are all the same size, are large enough to have a readable label on it or the case. How do you file and label a bunch of different sized thumb drives? And they want to be able to access the plans without having to worry about a server or internet connection going down.

• Reply 1455 of 1528
    One that was agreed upon by a good friend of mine, just yesterday. He's on a 2007 iMac and is going to upgrade. I explained all the tiddybits and new features, and the ones left out. Sure enough, he's getting that $79 external Super Drive. I told him that was soooo 1996 but he shares photos and stuff with friends, and doesn't want to buy a whole bunch of USB sticks. So yeah, ODD still useful.
    Very much useful for sharing movies and your own stuff. This especially the case if you are dealing with someone not real Internet aware.
    Indeed, a fantastic keynote, solid product and bright future. Macs will continue to come, obviously, I do think this year a new Mini, new iMac next year. Pro don't know, laptops I can't figure out...
    A new Mini better come! As for the Pro I actually think Intel has some good options for a CPU upgrade on the machine.
    I always buy contract free as it's cheaper. And have the freedom of moving from carrier to carrier if I want to. Only done twice though...

The iPhone 4 I currently have did come on contract. I need to look at the options available for off contract data plans and the like. I'm hoping Apple doesn't drag its feet when it comes to off contract SKU's. In fact I won't be buying a new cell phone until I've done some good old fashion shopping. $66 a month is a little steep considering how I currently use the iPhone.
  • Reply 1456 of 1528
    frank777 wrote: »
    Hopefully, now that the iOS dog-and-pony-show is over, we can get back to the good stuff.
    That would be nice.
    We will almost surely get an iMac update before Christmas, and I hope the Mini replacement.
    iPads have to be refreshed as well, and maybe the Retina MacBook Air if it is ready.
    I've lost all confidence in Apple doing the right thing with respect to the Mini. They need to deliver something relatively quickly though.

Actually Intel released new hardware some time ago in the Xeon series. Actually the hardware has gone through a significant overhaul and it would be nice to see this design in the Pro. Either that or they go Xeon Phi which supposedly in the new version can support an operating system. Either way the next rev of the Pro could be very interesting.
  • Reply 1457 of 1528

I kind of wonder if the Haswell Mac Pro won’t have two options. Either one CPU and two GPUs or two CPUs and one GPU…

Some of the new Xeon designs are very interesting with CPUs allocated in groups of five. That is you can get chips in 5, 10 & 15 core variants. Possibly a 20 core too. It is actually a major overhaul and it would be very interesting to see the architecture move into Mac Pro class machines. There should be a very nice performance upgrade with just the single socket version of the MacPro.
  • Reply 1458 of 1528
    mactac wrote: »
    There is a huge middle area where things are either not small enough or not large enough to find the finances to have everything on servers, cloud or thumb drives.
    That means optical disc as a storage medium makes a lot of sense.
    I have to agree there are instances where there is no better option that a optical disk. At the same time I understand why Apple doesn't ship drives with their machines by default as most users couldn't care one way or the other.
    It may sound old fashioned to many but when working with fire alarm plans they are still sent in for review as hard copy. After being signed by the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) one copy is kept for their files. Many are just now requesting a copy on optical disc as a back up. Much easier to file DVD's than thumb drives. DVD's are all the same size, are large enough to have a readable label on it or the case. How do you file and label a bunch of different sized thumb drives? And they want to be able to access the plans without having to worry about a server or internet connection going down.

You make some good points here. I still receive a lot of documentation at work on CD's or DVDs, documents that often end up on servers. I still keep the optical disks though, you can stuff hundreds of them in one file cabinet drawer.
  • Reply 1459 of 1528
    There was a mention of new chips suitable for a mac pro update at another site, but they only detailed a wee Mhz bump I thought. The x5 multiples of cores sounds much more interesting.
    A base of 5 cores, 10, 15 and 20 core options, assuming they'd fit, would make for a major step up.

There was also some news on the next [URL=http://architosh.com/2014/08/sig-wrap-up-on-gpu-hardware-at-siggraph-2014/]GPUs[/URL] on the way. AI doesn't seem to report this stuff so much anymore.
  • Reply 1460 of 1528
    Very much useful for sharing movies and your own stuff. This especially the case if you are dealing with someone not real Internet aware.

Indeed. Plus a way to avoid any malware left behind on a stick after lending it out. Happened to this friend of mine that is going to get the external SuperDrive: as of now I fully agree with because it has corrupted his iPhoto lib and even a TM backup wouldn't properly restore anymore. So I created a new lib and imported all the .jpg's from the lib package (masters folder). He is contemplating on whether to wait for a solution from me or to redo his photo collection (rotating portrait photos, tagging et cetera) You wouldn't happen to know a solution for a blank iPhoto library with only a spinning wheel (grey iPhoto wheel, not the color OSX one) not displaying any thumbnails would you? I have started iPhoto with Cmd-Option and rebuild thumbnails, permissions, DB, everything to no avail.
    A new Mini better come! As for the Pro I actually think Intel has some good options for a CPU upgrade on the machine.

I don't see them killing it. They may be killing Pro apps, Business HW and the lot, but the Mini remains a 'valid' option in their lineup, no matter if they're not selling like hot cakes iPhones.
    The iPhone 4 I currently have did come on contract. I need to look at the options available for off contract data plans and the like. I'm hoping Apple doesn't drag its feet when it comes to off contract SKU's. In fact I won't be buying a new cell phone until I've done some good old fashion shopping. $66 a month is a little steep considering how I currently use the iPhone.

It's indeed quite expensive in The States, compared to my little country. I buy €899 iPhones (that includes tax) and get an el cheapo SIM, currently €14/m Not much data, but I usually don't check my mail while cycling or anything. Mainly use WiFi at friends places. Mostly used for calls anyway.

mode 5 wrote: »
    There's was also some news on the next GPUs on the way. AI doesn't seem to report this stuff so much anymore.

Indeed, a shame. So, thanks for that link!

"The king of the FirePros is the W9100 with up to 16 GB of GDDR memory, support for up to 6 4K displays. It should be stated that the previous generation W9000 was the GPU that forms the basis of the high end GPU inside Apple’s radical new Mac Pro, that custom FirePro being named the D700. One wonders if Apple will be updating their new Mac Pro with updates to reflect AMD’s latest pro kit?"