2014 Mac mini Wishlist

Comments

• Reply 1401 of 1528
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The i7-4770k gets 769 in Cinebench 15, the rMBP gets 601. The CPU would be 28% faster. Negligible in real-world scenarios.

The 760 would be over 100% faster than the 650M/750M though.

Given that you have a high-end rMBP, why bother with the desktop? You aren't gaining that much performance except for the GPU.

I travel and it goes with me...kids have an older mini and it's okay but beach balls a bit.

• Reply 1402 of 1528
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    nht wrote: »
    I travel and it goes with me...kids have an older mini and it's okay but beach balls a bit.

So it's more of a replacement for their old Mini. You mentioned your usage requirements but if the kids are using it, surely they won't be running VMs etc. Also a laptop gives the benefit that when you go on holiday, they can take it and effectively have a portable XBox/PS3. Set it up as a Steam machine for them with wired 360 controllers and they can even plug two in for multiplayer. Then when it comes to hand-me downs, give them your current rMBP, sell their refurb and put the money towards a 2015/2016 rMBP.
  • Reply 1403 of 1528
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

So it's more of a replacement for their old Mini. You mentioned your usage requirements but if the kids are using it, surely they won't be running VMs etc. Also a laptop gives the benefit that when you go on holiday, they can take it and effectively have a portable XBox/PS3. Set it up as a Steam machine for them with wired 360 controllers and they can even plug two in for multiplayer. Then when it comes to hand-me downs, give them your current rMBP, sell their refurb and put the money towards a 2015/2016 rMBP.

It's more of an excuse for daddy to buy a computer "for the kids to use".

Steam is an idea I hadn't considered.  Still for $1600ish I'd rather buy a 32GB iPad Mini Retina LTE for travel ($550ish) and spend around grand on a computer for normal home use.  I'll probably get a Playstation Vita TV this fall unless AppleTV gets games in the same timeframe.  Those are small enough to travel with.  Between that and a couple iPads the gaming and movie aspects are more than covered both at home and on the road.  

Especially since 2 iPads > 1 uber laptop when you have 2 kids.

Mostly they need a computer for MS Office.  The school uses macs (nice 27" iMacs) so being able to run OSX is a plus but not a requirement. 

In any case $1600 fails the WAF.

• Reply 1404 of 1528
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    So I just noticed that Apple changed the order of their computers in the Apple Store.

It used to go as of not so long ago...

MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro

Now it goes...

MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, Mac mini

Is this another sign that the mini is on its way out or does it mean it could be updated soon?
  • Reply 1405 of 1528
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    winter wrote: »
    So I just noticed that Apple changed the order of their computers in the Apple Store.

It used to go as of not so long ago...

MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro

Now it goes...

MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, Mac mini

Is this another sign that the mini is on its way out or does it mean it could be updated soon?

I think it means that they changed the order of their Macs from left to right. That's it; no reason for alarm. Your eye for detail is commendable though, but they haven't changed the order of Macs on the Mac page (http://www.apple.com/mac/):

If you really see this as a sign I'd say they might indicate their best sellers from left to right, with the Mac Pro being the low volume model on the far right.
  • Reply 1406 of 1528
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Like Hillary Clinton stated WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE!

• Reply 1407 of 1528
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member

Just a bump since there hasn't been any real news regarding mini.

I'm considering jumping on the base i5 that Best Buy has on sale for $489.99.

Either that or going with the Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p that at least has Haswell.

• Reply 1408 of 1528

Go with the MM you will not be disappointed.Lenovo has quality control problems and break down a lot. I had 3 already with no luck.

• Reply 1409 of 1528
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Yes I dug up this old thread!

How many out there think that the new Mini might actually be debuted at the September 9 th event? Some of us have come close to giving up hope but what if there has been a major refactoring of the Mini to better support the new initiatives?

Frankly I'm not sure how the new initiatives would meld into a Mini. However the irrational delay in a new Mini release has me thinking a refocused device, maybe along the lines of the digital hub concept. Of course Apple could do some of this with an IOS device.
  • Reply 1410 of 1528
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    wizard69 wrote: »
    How many out there think that the new Mini might actually be debuted at the September 9 th event? Some of us have come close to giving up hope but what if there has been a major refactoring of the Mini to better support the new initiatives?

I'm sure they've coincided some Mac updates with the September event before but if they decide to do it, I expect a Mini update to be something minor. They had a Mac and iPad event last October so they might choose to do the same this year.
  • Reply 1411 of 1528
    I will be shocked if a new mini is introduced on 9/9. I have become accustomed to disappointment.
  • Reply 1412 of 1528
    Edit: Double post, please delete.
  • Reply 1413 of 1528

So will I be surprised also.I doubt it truthfully speaking.

• Reply 1414 of 1528
    And also here's the thing. Until Apple either introduces a new mini or a better mini replacement, I will not be buying Apple products.
  • Reply 1415 of 1528
    Marvin wrote: »
    I'm sure they've coincided some Mac updates with the September event before but if they decide to do it, I expect a Mini update to be something minor.
    This is the thing if it does happen on 9/9 Id expect to be somewhat radical and tied to the initiatives that Apple will be promoting then. Honestly it wouldn't make sense unless it was tied in some way to what is revealed on 9/9. Maybe optimization for HomeKit, a built in inductive charger or whatever. My mind can run wild here.

They had a Mac and iPad event last October so they might choose to do the same this year.

That would certainly add to the frustration of Mini users.

One thing that plays in my head over and over yet would be simple for Apple is an environment sensor package. This could be built into the Mini or be offered up as a Bluetooth puck. The idea here is to turn that machine into more of a digital hub that has been promoted on an off by Apple. IBeacons come to mind here, thus I could see a suite of iBeacons demonstrated that might augment the digital hub idea.

Of course Todays mobile devices are smart enough to connect to these devices themselves but they aren't in the home 100% of the time. For home automation you really need a computer in the home 24/7. A Mini could handle this task in background without breaking a sweat. Want to know what is happening in your home, pop up a local web server that is your home automation system.

The ideas are endless here and in some cases the Mini would have no new hardware just a software package. In this case real world interfacing would rely upon devices connected by Blutooth, WiFi or Ethernet.

In any event im off on a tangent here just trying to speculate on why the Mini is so late and why it might fit in on 9/9.
  • Reply 1416 of 1528
    I will be shocked if a new mini is introduced on 9/9. I have become accustomed to disappointment.

I'd be the first to admit that it is a long shot! However let's face it the venue and the big white building imply more, much more really than a new cell phone. Some think that is mobile payments but even that is a stretch. I'm leaning towards home automation myself.

Mind you there is a good argument that home automation should be done on an iOS device so maybe the Mini isn't even in play here. I'm just trying to reconcile the large venue and big building with something so big that it needs all of this infrastructure to debut.
  • Reply 1417 of 1528
    Two years ago or so, when Apple would announce a new keynote I would giddy with excitement. Now when they announce it, I couldn't care less. I care more about Intel's presentation at IDF.
  • Reply 1418 of 1528

I do not blame you. Their new products are nothing more to make more money and suck the consumer more to.

• Reply 1419 of 1528
    Two years ago or so, when Apple would announce a new keynote I would giddy with excitement. Now when they announce it, I couldn't care less. I care more about Intel's presentation at IDF.

I still find some excitement in the keynotes! It varies with what my interests are at the time. For example mY iphone 4 could use an update so the new iPhones will be interesting. IPads are a bigger interest and frankly I'm waiting and hoping for a big update there.

Most of the rest of the rumored stuff doesn't have a big attraction for me so yeah ho hum.

It is the stuff that we have no rumors about that might make this keynote interesting. Right now it appears that all of the beans have been spilt. If that is so the show will be a bit boring. However if a Mini surfaces then yeah some excitement will be there.

As for Intel and IDF, that use to get a lot of public interest also. Now a days Intel has to work at it to generate interest in the press and thus the public. The real interesting stuff is happening on custom SoC these days. So NVidia, Qualcomm, Apple and others are pulling the spotlight away from Intel.
  • Reply 1420 of 1528
    marvfox wrote: »
    I do not blame you. Their new products are nothing more to make more money and suck the consumer more to.

Sometimes I have the same feeling! The last iPad update certainly falls into the category of a disappointment. However both iPad and iPhone are established products in a market Apple created, they are effectivley mature products. Due to the platform, significant new features Supportted in hardware will come in measured doses. The problem is trying to stuff 10 pounds of crap into the proverbial 5 pound bag. Each significant enhancement has to come with improved electronics generally meaning a process shrink.

In a nut shell IOS devices are primarily software delivery devices. There just isn't a lot of options in the way of physical engineering in a tablet. So if the software does nothing for you you can't expect a hardware upgrade to light any fires.