Apple predicted to launch lighter, thinner 9.7" iPad 'as quickly as possible'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

So now that everything is updated (save Mac Pro, which is coming soon) what do we have to look forward to/argue about?  Apple TV?  Since everything has been updated from iPod to Macs, seems there isn't much to wish for? Right?

How about a smart house called iHome, where everything has Siri functionality integrated.

• Reply 22 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The "iPad 5", as it were. image

Nooooooooooooooo TS! Don't start again. :)

• Reply 23 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

Wonder if it will keep the 4:3 ratio

Well, the 16:9 aspect ratio is compatible with HD format. But, what else? Not great for books. Meh for web browsing. Changing the current aspect ratio screws up current apps. Answer is pretty obvious?

• Reply 24 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

How about a smart house called iHome, where everything has Siri functionality integrated.

The market is too small. Standards are ... non-standard.

• Reply 25 of 106
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Nope.
    This is the real iPad3. The iPad3 that was released was a desperate product when plans did go wrong.
    TSMC production of A6 tanked and Qualcomms 28nm baseband chip was delayed.

This lead to the desperate A5X thicker battery.

Apple should of course have waited and released the real iPad3.

Apple wants to release the new iPad in late Q3-early Q4 to maximise holiday season.

This is the new Apple. About maximising profits. Steve's Apple was about making the greatest products possible, then get profit. And when customers starts to feel milked for money, its over.

There is a 95% chance that Apple will repeat everything wrong they did after Steve left 1985. Just like back then, Apple will have a couple of great years before the decline starts.

Apple have already started with a wasteful dividend and share buy back. Apple should have instead fixed iCloud (by using revamped Xserve/Xsan Unix clustering) and bought/build a foundry to produce its own SoCs and NAND flash. Just one dividend could have bought AMD bought back Fab30 in Germany. If AMD was a separate part of Apple, they would have kept their X86 license. Apple could have done a custom X86 chip with DSPs and other fun stuff they have inside the A series SoC.
  • Reply 26 of 106
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    allenbf wrote: »
    So now that everything is updated (save Mac Pro, which is coming soon) what do we have to look forward to/argue about?  Apple TV?  Since everything has been updated from iPod to Macs, seems there isn't much to wish for? Right?

I was just going to write the same thing. What's AI going to report on for the next 11 months?
  • Reply 27 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

But they wouldn't update the iPad in the spring and not the iPad mini at the same time, would they?  Surely not

I don't think I'd be comfortable with "surely" not. And they've updated iPhones in the past without updating iPod Touch's. There aren't any rules, just whatever they think is best.

• Reply 28 of 106
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

I’s say all bets are off: Apple is smart, they look well into the future, and they are surprisingly nimble. They will follow past patterns... and they will break them when there’s a reason.

The only thing we CAN be sure of is that nobody benefits if Apple decides to NOT release a better iPad for the same price. Some people seem to think it makes the current model better if there is no new model. Not true: the iPad you bought a few months ago is unchanged either way.

• Reply 29 of 106
    It is obvious that Apple is betting heavily in the post-pc era. Apple updates the iPad more often than it updates the computers.

I'm sure Apple will expand the iPad offerings to include an even larger iPad (11" or 13") with more processing power as notebook replacement.

Maybe one day the iPad ecosystem will rival the Window's with 3rd party peripherals, accessories, and industrial applications.
  • Reply 30 of 106
    I was wondering how iPad 4 compared to iPad 3 in terms of weight & thickness.

Now I know -- they're the same.

So I shall be skipping this one as well & hope for a vastly lighter & thinner iPad 5 in March.

Or, failing that, an "iBoard" -- an 11"/13" iPad meant for professional use.

And I also want that to be lighter & thinner -- or, at tne very least, as light & thin -- than iPad 2.
  • Reply 31 of 106
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I don't think there'll be much pressure from the MS tablets for a while - not enough apps (talking about the RT tablets here). Android is still the main danger in the short term.

• Reply 32 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Apple is sure focusing on iPads more than anything now. Not surprised, but other products like Mac Pro are just crying in the corner.

Not surprised, then you'd realize that the investment spent on upgrading the Mac Pro Line generates 10X more if invested in the Phone or Pad line.

It's Just Business.  For every Mac Pro potential user, there are 10 MBP potential users (I need mobile computing), and 30 iPad potential users (I need mobile content).   Makes hay while the sun shines.

I certainly hope to be wowed by it, and let Apple redefine the workstation like they redefined the laptop.

• Reply 33 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If you consider the 4th  gen iPad as just a speed bump, then the idea that they'd release a completely updated design in the Spring, which would, among other things, likely be lighter and thinner, isn't far fetched, and is probably the basis for his "analysis", more so than his rationale regarding the Surface.

Well...4th generation IS just a speed bump.  It's possible they might drop another ipad next spring.

• Reply 34 of 106
    As soon as Apple can get their hands on a more energy-efficient display for the iPad 4, they'll update it again. Probably something along the lines of the Sharp IGZO type of technology used in the iPhone and iPad Mini. That will enable them to substantially shrink the battery and therefore weight, and still keep the same battery life.
  • Reply 35 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Nope.

This is the real iPad3. The iPad3 that was released was a desperate product when plans did go wrong.

TSMC production of A6 tanked and Qualcomms 28nm baseband chip was delayed.

This lead to the desperate A5X thicker battery.

Apple should of course have waited and released the real iPad3.

Apple wants to release the new iPad in late Q3-early Q4 to maximise holiday season.

This is the new Apple. About maximising profits. Steve's Apple was about making the greatest products possible, then get profit. And when customers starts to feel milked for money, its over.

There is a 95% chance that Apple will repeat everything wrong they did after Steve left 1985. Just like back then, Apple will have a couple of great years before the decline starts.

Apple have already started with a wasteful dividend and share buy back. Apple should have instead fixed iCloud (by using revamped Xserve/Xsan Unix clustering) and bought/build a foundry to produce its own SoCs and NAND flash. Just one dividend could have bought AMD bought back Fab30 in Germany. If AMD was a separate part of Apple, they would have kept their X86 license. Apple could have done a custom X86 chip with DSPs and other fun stuff they have inside the A series SoC.

You enjoy writing fiction, don't you?

• Reply 36 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I’s say all bets are off: Apple is smart, they look well into the future, and they are surprisingly nimble. They will follow past patterns... and they will break them when there’s a reason.

The only thing we CAN be sure of is that nobody benefits if Apple decides to NOT release a better iPad for the same price. Some people seem to think it makes the current model better if there is no new model. Not true: the iPad you bought a few months ago is unchanged either way.

The key item is that Apple can deliver an OS and HW platform that is tightly integrated, so app developers can exploit the platform for a compelling experience.  You can't do that with Android now.

The next turn of the crank is gotta be making distributed computing even more ubiquitous, and make integrated micropayments  (.99 music, $4.99 movies and books are the first wave... soon it has drive down to a lower threshhold... click to buy .25 cents for a day of game time  (arcade game model, if I can get you in a multiplayer, multi-day game, and lock you and 8 others in to 2-3 days of game time a month without ads for a .25 a day... 4 million players would be $1M a Day per playing day)  Same model for news sources etc.

This is why I see AppleTV is less about TVs and more about  monetized content delivery (disrupt the mainstream Cable and broadcast networks).  

• Reply 37 of 106

Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

Well...4th generation IS just a speed bump.  It's possible they might drop another ipad next spring.

The iPad 3 was also a speed bump. I don't see why people are treating this one differently. Heck, this one added a new port and different LTE capabilities. 

• Reply 38 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    ivlad wrote: »
    Apple is sure focusing on iPads more than anything now. Not surprised, but other products like Mac Pro are just crying in the corner.

Considering that iOS now accounts for most of Apple's sales, I'm not surprised. The iPad is the future Mac, in a sense.

When we consider that Windows sales were down three out of the four quarters this year, and iPad sales continue to rise at a good pace, though the past quarter's may be lower than expected because of the wait for the Mini, it's understandable that Apple would put a lot of work into them.

While I, and many others was surprised at a really new iPad now, we were expecting the move to the Lightning connector. What I'm surprised at in addition, is their keeping the iPad 2 around, rather than lowering the price of the third model a bit, say, to $449.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That at least means Rogue 6. When is te earliest we can expect it. Next Summer?
  • Reply 40 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The iPad 3 was also a speed bump. I don't see why people are treating this one differently. Heck, this one added a new port and different LTE capabilities. 

Uhm, I don't think so. No more than the iPhone 4 was a speed bump of the 3GS.