Apple predicted to launch lighter, thinner 9.7" iPad 'as quickly as possible'

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    Hold on weren't apple just saying how awful the Samsung products were for being too thin in their UK letter? Ah yes here's the quote: "but the Samsung products are very thin" That smug Apple apology letter has almost turned me off Apple, the iPhone 5 maps were bad enough but this is just a stupid childish way to behave!
  • Reply 102 of 106

Originally Posted by BiggestApple View Post

Hold on weren't apple just saying how awful the Samsung products were for being too thin in their UK letter?

No. Read the letter again.

…the iPhone 5 maps were bad enough…

Why not just leave Apple, since you don't seem to get it?

• Reply 103 of 106
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    No. Read the letter again.

Why not just leave Apple, since you don't seem to get it?

I expect someone who doesn't post on a tech forum (especially an Apple focused one) or doesn't own any Apple products to refer to maps as an iOS 6 feature not as "iPhone 5 maps".

We're not talking about pedantry but basic critical thinking which directly corresponds to how we perceive if one has the capacity to understand the difference between a Chinese KIRF called I-Phone and where the new Maps app and backend are being applied.
  • Reply 104 of 106
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

In that case, it sounds like the Mini would be perfect for you, as it's crazy light, even compared to the iPad 2, and plus everything you see on the display will look sharper.

I've had both the iPad 2 and the iPad 3, and yes, the iPad 3 is slightly heavier, and I would be able to tell the two apart simply by lifting them, even if I was blindfolded, but the weight difference is not an issue that concerns me too much. If weight is somebody's main priority, then clearly, the Mini would be the tablet that they should get.

Oh, I have experienced the iPad mini first-hand for several days.  I bought one for my girlfriend.  However, after those several days of use, i quickly realized...no, i'd rather have a bigger screen AND lighter weight.  I'm not willing to give up screen size for weight.

That said, if you look at how they've named the current line-up of iPads (iPad 2, iPad with Retina Display, iPad Mini...just like the MB line-up) one might notice that, forsee-ably, the non-retina iPad is here to stay for now.  That could open the door for an iPad (non-retina) that is thinner and lighter than the iPad "with Retina Display".  And that would be the model I would buy.  It's exactly how they designed the Macbook line and I think it's exactly how the Future iPad line will be.  Call it the iPad Air or something.

It's exactly why my next Macbook purchase will be the Air 13" and not the MBP 13" w/ Retina.  I'll take light with big screen over heavy with Hi-Res screen.

• Reply 105 of 106
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"in his very first Apple business deal it's thoroughly documented he pocketed $500 that should have been split with Woz.'

Do you have a link for this?    I was told that Jobs was supposed to have split the proceeds from the sale of his minibus... but neglected to do so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

The quote may not be 100% accurate in the wording, but I believe he's talking about the story of the game "Breakout" for Atari.  Jobs would get a set amount of money, but it would increase based on how quickly he got the program finished.  He enlisted the help of Woz and got it done in 1/2 the time.  He agreed to pay Woz a flat fee, that of which he told Woz 1/2 of what Jobs was actually going to get from Atari.  I think that's how it goes.  It was from the Isaacson Bio of Jobs.  I'd love to find the quote but i listened to the Audio book.

I do have a link - and it's an interview with Woz:  http://www.realdanlyons.com/blog/2011/10/11/a-conversation-with-woz/

• Reply 106 of 106

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I do have a link - and it's an interview with Woz:  http://www.realdanlyons.com/blog/2011/10/11/a-conversation-with-woz/

Additionally, direct from the Steve Jobs biography:

When I asked Jobs directly, he became unusually quiet and hesitant. "I don't know where that allegation comes from," he said. " I gave him half the money I ever got. That's how I've always been with Woz. I mean, Woz stopped working in 1978. He never did one ouch of work after 1978. And yet he got exactly the same shares of Apple stock I did." 

Is it possible that memories are muddled and that Jobs did not, in fact, short-change Wozniak? "There's a chance that my memory is all wrong and messed up," Wozniak told me, but after a pause he reconsidered. "But no. I remember the details of this one, the $350 check." 

Hope that's a small enough portion of it not to cause problems.