Apple predicted to launch lighter, thinner 9.7" iPad 'as quickly as possible'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The iPad 3 was also a speed bump. I don't see why people are treating this one differently. Heck, this one added a new port and different LTE capabilities. 

Hah! Caught you! After that long argument about why the iPad name was enough, and that we didn't need numbers to describe older models, "just call the old model the iPad", you're reduced to calling it the iPad 3, thereby agreeing with what I said after all.

I knew you would do it.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    This analyst is so totally misguided that one has to wonder how stuff like this gets any airtime at all:

"If Microsoft Surface does catch on with consumers and businesses..."

Yeah, that a gigantic "if" given that the product is basically uncompetitive in the market with the exception that it runs Office apps for "free."

"he thinks Apple will move quickly to redesign the iPad once again in the near future."

Ok, first off, I can pretty much 100% GUARANTEE that Apple is factoring Microsoft into its iPad product planning 0%. Furthermore, any product we are going to see from Apple next year is ALREADY in development. There is no way, even in this day and age, a company selling the volumes Apple does of the iPad can just decide "oh yeah, company x is doing some shite product, so we are going to completely change our course and crank this new design out in the next 6 months in tens of millions of units."

Its great that Apple gets all this attention from the media, but "analysis" like this adds absolutely no value to their story or anybody's understanding of the company...
  • Reply 43 of 106

I don't normally give two shits about what the analysts say, but in this case, I agree that Apple is taking the Surface seriously. Apple has the upper hand, and they've shown that if they can keep it, Microsoft's can be successfully defeated. Zune? Windows Phone 7? It wasn't for a lack of trying.

I think the so-called 4th Gen iPad (which is really a nice spec bump of the 3rd Gen), is a reaction to the Surface. It's possible Apple didn't know about the Surface until it was announced (prematurely, thanks goodness) just a few months ago. If so, the A6X may have been something that they originally planned to introduce with whatever iPad redesign they had planned for March 2013. Or it could have been cooked up just for the spec bump.

Regardless, if they did have a redesigned retina iPad coming in March 2013, there's no reason to push it back.

• Reply 44 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

How about a smart house called iHome, where everything has Siri functionality integrated.

I'd be very interested in this one. 

• Reply 45 of 106
    netrox wrote: »
    I would like a thinner lighter iPad 5! It is clearly possible it will happen sooner.

I am not sure it needs to be thinner, I would just like better battery life and better, more even backlighting.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    This guy may be talking out of his ass, but if Apple DID do this, that's the one I'd buy. Need the large screen but my arm keeps getting tired of holding my iPad3. Weight is the only issue I have with it that I'd be willing to buy a new one so soon for. Apple may know this. I hope they do.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    jp55jp55 Posts: 15member
    IGZO isn't ready now but I would say would help tremendously to get the 9.7" iPad down in thickness & weight. I expect the next 9.7" iPad to be the first Apple product to use a IGZO panel combined with GF2 sometime before the fall of next year if at all possible.

IGZO also offers a path to put a retina screen into the mini as soon as late 2013 and no later than 2014. I suspect this is why it came out at $329, so they can cover the cost of new tech and drop what was launched this week down to $249-$299 when the retina iPad mini comes out. A retina iPad mini would have exactly the same PPI as the iPhone5: 325PPI.
  • Reply 48 of 106
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In combination with more power-efficient chips, Apple is expected to "dramatically lower the weight and thickness of the 9.7" iPad," Kuo wrote.

That means smaller batteries.  Thickness and weight are due to the batteries, and batteries are sized to give 10 hours of use given the particular power demands of the system-on-chip (SoC) and display.  Reduce the power demands of the SoC and display and you can use smaller batteries.  Smaller batteries allow thinner iPads.

Hence, as Kuo implies, power-efficiency is the key to thinner and lighter iPads.  Apple knew this years ago, and it's why they chose to develop their own ARM designs instead of being forced to buy off-the-shelf SoCs from Intel (at Intel prices.)  This year's A6 processor delivers twice the performance while consuming less energy than its predecessor, the A5.

Power-efficiency is also why Apple is developing IGZO-based LCD panels (and reportedly planning IGZO-based OLED panels with a new low-cost, high-yield production process.)  Because IGZO conductors are 40 times (40 X, not 40%) more conductive than amorphous silicon.  Apple is doing the heavy lifting to make iPad and iPhone screens more efficient.  And better looking too, since IGZO conductors are also more transparent than amorphous silicon, producing brighter displays.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is still hedging its bets with the "Surface With Windows 8 Pro" and its red-hot Intel processor.  With "perimeter venting" to dissipate all that hot air.  Like a coal-burning locomotive in a world of electric trains.

• Reply 49 of 106
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

and now history shows that sometimes they will do it in half a year. 

Sorry but 'history shows' appears to be weakening as Tim Cook takes Steve Job's advice and runs with it. He's not necessarily doing as Steve did and the whole 'once a year' may go out the window for some things. This could be the first one. 

It's time to restart 'history' and expect anything. 

The market dynamics - the tech (hardware and software, components, form factors and designs), the players, the relationships, etc.- and the markets themselves in the entire iDevice class arena are evolving at a tremendous pace. 

And the boundaries between those markets and "traditional" PC's are blurring and morphing rapidly as well.  Phil Schiller may well have summarized Apple's notion of how they're going to be playing all of this best when he said (paraphrased): "And we're not about to take our foot off the gas pedal now!" (or maybe it was the obverse, "and we're going to keep our foot on the gas pedal" - whatever, same meaning).

Absent a Google "bug in the boardroom" - when Schmidt took the idea of the iPhone back to GOOG, if there had even been an "Android" type of "free OS" competitor, it would have come a year later and Apple would have an absolute numerical lead in phones as well as in tablets.  And I don't think they plan to cede their lead in the tab market to anyone, even tho' Android is there to write apps for, Amazon has a great ecosystem and Surface (well-reviewed by Wired) is launching (including a free copy of Office into enterprise markets where MS has many deep and established relationships that can't be discounted). 

• PS: Even if Win 8 - admittedly a hodge-podge - turns out to be the "new Vista," MS has enough capital, inertia and talent to make Win 9 the "next Win 7" and Apple well knows this and won't ignore them. 

• And people at large will begin to notice that they can't reach out and poke at their notebook screens when that's handy as they'll soon be able to do on virtually every cheap Win notebook - even on their $2800 rMBP. 

• It's ALL moving targets and all motivated competitors here.  That "foot on the gas pedal" - even if parts of Win 8 look like a joke - can't be taken off in any area where Apple intends to stay relevant. 

And with all that in flux, the one thing a "built on the principles of Steve" Apple can't afford to do is freeze their own business plan based on the "way Steve did it," rather the fact that he always knew how to be a disruptive force in the tech world, ready to break any business model, including all his previous ones. If the company truly has "his DNA" in their corporate culture, that's likely the most critical gene.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

Wonder if it will keep the 4:3 ratio

Wonder no more.  If Apple had planned to change that anytime soon, they wouldn't have intro'd a brand new line yesterday that maintains it.  Never say never, though as more and more of "computing" in general moves to more svelte and mobile devices. 

• Reply 50 of 106
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So… tomorrow, then. The 4th gen is already discontinued, moving to the 5th gen.

????

No, but like with its Macs Apple used to often times update more than once a year. While Apple is the dominant player now with tablets, it can lose its position. It will act aggressively. 

• Reply 51 of 106

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Hah! Caught you! After that long argument about why the iPad name was enough, and that we didn't need numbers to describe older models, "just call the old model the iPad", you're reduced to calling it the iPad 3, thereby agreeing with what I said after all.

I knew you would do it.

What manner of nonsense is this? I've called it "iPad 3" on occasion since launch. Call it "iPad 3", call it the "3rd generation iPad". It's the same thing. It means the same thing. Fortunately for the iPad, the numbers actually mean the right product. 

I never said "we [don't] need numbers to describe older models". I know for a fact that I said numbers in this argument itself. You know that; you can go back and look at it. It doesn't need to be MARKETED with numbers in the name. The easiest way to distinguish older models, then, is to use numbers—namely the year of introduction—just like with Macs. 

Marketing Name

Internal Name

Generation Name

Colloquialism

iPad

iPad (2010)

first-gen iPad

iPad

iPad 2

iPad (2011)

second-gen iPad

iPad 2

the new iPad

iPad (Early 2012)

third-gen iPad

iPad 3

iPad with retina display

iPad (Late 2012)

fourth-gen iPad

iPad 4

Maybe I'm "unique" in thinking this makes sense, too. It's how they do it for computers, and since the iPad is a computer… 

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

While Apple is the dominant player now with tablets, it can lose its position. It will act aggressively. 

And good for them in doing it! Let's just hope that getting the jump on this doesn't lead to the wrong perceptions, yeah? 

• Reply 52 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

Well...4th generation IS just a speed bump.  It's possible they might drop another ipad next spring.

for the most part yes. remember, the 4th generation also includes the 28nm LTE chip, so it can be used on more high-speed networks and Facetime HD.

• Reply 53 of 106

Quote:

The iPad 3 was also a speed bump. I don't see why people are treating this one differently. Heck, this one added a new port and different LTE capabilities. 

There's always a speed bump. But usually there's substantially something else as well.

iPad 1 --> iPad 2   New form factor, added a camera, new generation processor, double the RAM, less weight, smaller in all dimensions

iPad 2 --> iPad 3   Retina display, 1 GB RAM, improved cameras, 4G, improved bluetooth, voice dictation

iPad 3 --> iPad 4   Lightning connector, twice as fast, improved front camera, same form factor, same weight, same size

Isn't it telling that the iPad 3 is no longer available? This is just a marginally updated iPad 3. If it was a substantial upgrade there iPad 3 would still be available.

• Reply 54 of 106

Im sure Apple wants to make a thinner lighter Ipad but with a retina display it doesn't seem that possible. I'm still on the fence since I have a 3rd generation ipad , but it would be nice to have everything with a lightening connector, faster wifi, and faster processor and such. They mentioned a lot of the displays having less reflection is the 4th generation Ipad one of them?

• Reply 55 of 106

Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

Isn't it telling that the iPad 3 is no longer available?

This takes that out of the equation. The iPad 2 is available.

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

They mentioned a lot of the displays having less reflection is the 4th generation Ipad one of them?

I would hope so, but that does seem like a fairly difficult thing to get in there. I bet it's as good as they could make it, given the technology of the present.

• Reply 56 of 106
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It isn't just the Mac Pro, Apple has totally lost it with respect to desktop computers as the just released models are as much a regression as they area step forward. I know that more than a few people where expecting a Mac Mini at the $799 level to come with a vastly improved discrete GPU, instead we got nothing. This is frankly a huge step backwards for the Mac Mini platform so yeah it is probably crying in the corner fully ashamed to show its face in public.

The killer here is that ever desktop took a step backwards yesterday. It is almost as if Apple has lost Touch with its customer base. Slower hard drives slower video and an all around ripoff pricing scheme for that hardware.
    ivlad wrote: »
    Apple is sure focusing on iPads more than anything now. Not surprised, but other products like Mac Pro are just crying in the corner.
  • Reply 57 of 106

Quote:

Marketing Name

Internal Name

Generation Name

Colloquialism

iPad

iPad (2010)

first-gen iPad

iPad

iPad 2

iPad (2011)

second-gen iPad

iPad 2

the new iPad

iPad (Early 2012)

third-gen iPad

iPad 3

iPad with retina display

iPad (Late 2012)

fourth-gen iPad

iPad 4

In your opinion what do you think they will call the next generation iPad? I think that the "iPad with retina display" tagname is confusing for the average consumer. They won't know what's new because they're uninformed. Everyone knew what the "new iPad" was of course because, well, it was new and was different than "iPad 2".

Do you think they will call the 5th Gen iPad "the new iPad" again?

• Reply 58 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP55 View Post

IGZO isn't ready now but I would say would help tremendously to get the 9.7" iPad down in thickness & weight. I expect the next 9.7" iPad to be the first Apple product to use a IGZO panel combined with GF2 sometime before the fall of next year if at all possible.

IGZO also offers a path to put a retina screen into the mini as soon as late 2013 and no later than 2014. I suspect this is why it came out at $329, so they can cover the cost of new tech and drop what was launched this week down to $249-$299 when the retina iPad mini comes out. A retina iPad mini would have exactly the same PPI as the iPhone5: 325PPI.

Excellent points. I agree.

• Reply 59 of 106

Quote:

This takes that out of the equation. The iPad 2 is available.

You just proved my point. The iPad 2 is still available because it is able to be differentiated from the "iPad with Retina Display". The iPad 3 cannot and therefore the iPad 4th gen is not a substantial update.

• Reply 60 of 106
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Nope.

This is the real iPad3. The iPad3 that was released was a desperate product when plans did go wrong.

TSMC production of A6 tanked and Qualcomms 28nm baseband chip was delayed.

This lead to the desperate A5X thicker battery.

Apple should of course have waited and released the real iPad3.

Apple wants to release the new iPad in late Q3-early Q4 to maximise holiday season.

This is the new Apple. About maximising profits. Steve's Apple was about making the greatest products possible, then get profit. And when customers starts to feel milked for money, its over.

There is a 95% chance that Apple will repeat everything wrong they did after Steve left 1985. Just like back then, Apple will have a couple of great years before the decline starts.

Apple have already started with a wasteful dividend and share buy back. Apple should have instead fixed iCloud (by using revamped Xserve/Xsan Unix clustering) and bought/build a foundry to produce its own SoCs and NAND flash. Just one dividend could have bought AMD bought back Fab30 in Germany. If AMD was a separate part of Apple, they would have kept their X86 license. Apple could have done a custom X86 chip with DSPs and other fun stuff they have inside the A series SoC.

You're clearly well-intended, but, damn, the only way I can put it is there's too much rubbish here to sort through your whole trash pile.

But for starters, every new strategically important tech product release is the end a desperate struggle full of frustrations and compromises, trying to coordinate the release, ramp-up and actual delivery of components from many different suppliers, all of Apple's own internal arms (in overall product design, OS and app software, ties to the developing ecosystems of the Cloud and store, relationships with telco's and resellers all over the world, the status of hugely complex IP litigation in progress and emerging, all of the aspects of the assembly and production lines via Foxconn and others, and much more - involving probably tens of thousands of people, all with their own interests and opinions involved. 

So no new product is ever "ready" - let alone everything everyone would like it to be.  And your contention that they should "of course" waited to "release the real iPad 3," would have left them with no new model for a year and half and that would have made many parts of their world - customers, resellers, competitors, the press and the stock market - more than antsy.  The loss of "momentum" would have been palpable.

The newly discontinued "new iPad" then, WAS the "real" iPad 3.  And this is gen 4, a fluidly fast, useful upgrade of the 3rd, that itself's beginning to feel a bit heavy in the overall landscape.  And gen 5 will be released when it hits its next minimally acceptable internally specced target (which will certainly include being at least lighter and thinner), whenever that is. And people who don't get that will bitch about what that one won't have.

Further, given Apple's whole history of "market segmentation" and the way they "pack" options into models, if people were going to leave Apple because they get "milked for money," the company would have disappeared 15 years ago.  And since no one seems to really be ready to let go of the "what would Jobs have done" meme, I will remind you that while Steve always loved creating "insanely great products," he was never against creating "insanely great profits" as well.  (After all, even though the guy remains a personal icon and inspiration to me, in his very first Apple business deal it's thoroughly documented he pocketed $500 that should have been split with Woz.)

And it won't be perfect, and it won't include every feature on any tablet anywhere, but it will be released. 

Pedal to the medal folks.  Schiller nailed it.