Google announces Nexus 4 smartphone, Nexus 10 tablet, Android 4.2

Comments

• Reply 161 of 206
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

How many markets/carriers is the iPhone 5 on? Surely that counts as a 'world phone'. Why is LTE fragmentation such an issue now for those who are interested in Android phones, whereas last year the when iP4S came out it wasn't?

It's not an issue for most Android users, or most users in general.  And indeed it is a minus against the Nexus 4 for some users.  But for me it's not.  

But I travel alot.  When I bought my HTC phone last year, I could have got an HTC with LTE, or an LG with LTE from my carrier.  Instead I opted for an HTC with dual band HSPA+ 42.  My real world speeds are 10-20 mbps, which is faster than the broadband cable I have at home.  Plus, whenever I go to South America, Europe, or Asia, I get full connectivity (assuming the proper SIM card and service of course).  

Honestly, I wish carriers would have put more effort into HSPA+ (whose theoretical speeds are just as high as LTE), or WiMAX.  LTE is designed to lock in users, WiMAX would have been the democratic choice (hence why WiMAX is most popular in developing countries, and was axed in the US).  

• Reply 162 of 206
    lubernabei wrote: »
    nagromme wrote: »
    Wired charging = need wire.

Wireless charging = need wire (for the charger) AND the charger!

Doesn’t do it for me.

So wired chargers need just a wire and not a charger? Huh? Where does the wire plug into?

Wireless charging is a bit gimicky, but if the feature doesnt cost any more, it is nice to just plop your phone down on a surface instead of fiddling with wires that will eventually wear out.
    Your right. Just plopping it down on a surface is definitely easier. Where do I plop it down in the car (because using it for GPS driving directions eats batteries in any device)? Where do I plop it down in my hotel room? I still need the cable and adapters when I travel. So yes it's a cool feature, but only at home and office (which would probably suit a wide range of users). However, I don't see this as the direction of things to come.
  • Reply 163 of 206
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't tell my lady during her climax it's aaaaaaaaaaaaaah not aaaaaaaaaaaaah.

As long as it isn't "is it in yet" you're good.
    Or you were wondering why she was always spelling "run", over and over and over....
  • Reply 164 of 206

Ha, I was right.

If you play a 1920x1080p video at 1:1 (meaning no stretching or scaling) on both the Nexus 10 and an iPad 3 this is the actual size of the "movie" on your screen.

iPad: 7.265" x 4.1" = 29 square inches.

Nexus: 6.4" x 3.6" = 23 square inches.

They should have stuck with a 1920x1080 screen instead. Still very high resolution and good enough for any Apps you'e ever want to run. And if you're into watching movies you can at least use the entire screen. 2560x1600 is such an odd size.

It's good for the spec whores to say they've got the highest resolution screen, but that's about it.

• Reply 165 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ha, I was right.

If you play a 1920x1080p video at 1:1 (meaning no stretching or scaling) on both the Nexus 10 and an iPad 3 this is the actual size of the "movie" on your screen.

iPad: 7.265" x 4.1" = 29 square inches.
    Nexus: 6.4" x 3.6" = 23 square inches.

They should have stuck with a 1920x1080 screen instead. Still very high resolution and good enough for any Apps you'e ever want to run. And if you're into watching movies you can at least use the entire screen. 2560x1600 is such an odd size.

It's good for the spec whores to say they've got the highest resolution screen, but that's about it.

Just wait until we see the performance of that GPU and battery life from playing a 1080p movie. I'm guessing the iPad (4) will win.
  • Reply 166 of 206
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Just wait until we see the performance of that GPU and battery life from playing a 1080p movie. I'm guessing the iPad (4) will win.

This is what I think too. But the nexus would had probably beat the iPad 3 by a small margin.  Now we know why Apple release the iPad 4 by surprise.

• Reply 167 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    herbapou wrote: »
    This is what I think too. But the nexus would had probably beat the iPad 3 by a small margin.  Now we know why Apple release the iPad 4 by surprise.

I hope they hope we get to see comparisons with the iPad (3), too. My guess is that it wouldn't be as efficient, but that 32nm on the Nexus 10 compared to 45nm on the iPad (3) would allow for Google to make the Nexus 10 performance much higher for a similar power draw, but I still can't rule out the iPad (3) still being a better performer after the repeated lackluster efforts with GPU performance from Android-based devices over the years.
  • Reply 168 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

That makes no sense at all. Why would anyone watch Video without scaling? I watch 720p video on my TV all the time. It would be silly to watch it in small box in the middle of the screen and not scale to fit the screen.

Watching 16:9 (scaled like a normal person) video on the Nexus 10 will be a little bigger. Who cares. The Nexus 10 has some nice specs, no biggie.

There is more to this than spec-sheet/Price.

At $400 it hasn't generated anywhere near the buzz the $200 Nexus did. It is just too close in price and capability to a 4th Gen iPad, which has the mindshare, and a hugely more robust ecosystem.

• Reply 169 of 206
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    red oak wrote: »
    Google's plan is to suck all the hardware profits out of the Android ecosystem and go for maximum volume. And these manufacturers are too stupid to understand that basic goal

What are the alternatives?

It's either Google or license Microsoft's even tighter conditions or try and go toe-to-toe with Apple in an ecosystem. Not going to happen.
  • Reply 170 of 206

Quote:

Who said anything about "Flagship" models!"? What a pathetic excuse. Apple doesn't have a flagship model, just an iPhone. It has LTE. Nexus does not have LTE.

apple has iphone 4

apple has iphone 4s

apple has iphone 5

one of those is the flagship.  Do you know which one?

• Reply 171 of 206
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    freerange wrote: »
    Sorry but Red Oak is absolutely right! Google, along with Amazon, are quickly driving innovative markets like smartphones and tablets to commodity status. The hardware manufacturers are idiots to let this happen as it also destroys their own margins / branded opportunities in the process. Its the same thing that MSFT did to the PC industry - no one makes money!!!!! Except in the wintel world, MSFT. It doesn't take a business genius to see this. Meanwhile, Google is stealing our own personal data, making billions off of us, while not compensating us, and while invading our privacy. Meanwhile they destroy other companies as they sell these products at a loss, just like Amazon.

What Microsoft accomplished, was to make computing affords affordable to billions.

Google may pull off the same with Android.
  • Reply 172 of 206
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

apple has iphone 4

apple has iphone 4s

apple has iphone 5

one of those is the flagship.  Do you know which one?

Incorrect. iPhone 5 is the current model. The 4S and 4 are superseded models.

• Reply 173 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

Do you prefer buying turd because it's cheaper than donut?

I may prefer a powdered donut because it is cheaper than a glazed donut.

• Reply 174 of 206

This is the 175 post or there about about Android on your glorious Apple forum. For people who are nto interested in Android you guys sure discuss it a lot.

No one cares if you don't like the new Android devices... no one is forcing you to buy them. However if you do... enjoy them as that is what they are there for.

As I look in my review mirror I can barely see Apple anymore...... enjoy playing catch up.

• Reply 175 of 206
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrosy View Post

This is the 175 post or there about about Android on your glorious Apple forum. For people who are nto interested in Android you guys sure discuss it a lot.

No one cares if you don't like the new Android devices... no one is forcing you to buy them. However if you do... enjoy them as that is what they are there for.

As I look in my review mirror I can barely see Apple anymore...... enjoy playing catch up.

• Reply 176 of 206

Quote:

Oh, didn't hear this in yeeeeears.

Now your username makes sense.

• Reply 177 of 206

very cheap. probably zero margin.

Google entering money losing business like amazon kindle fire.

Can apple survive ?

• Reply 178 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Can't stand their cheap brushed aluminum looking plastic.

Your poor prioritisation skills will ultimately lead you to an Apple device. Well deserved I might add. image

• Reply 179 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So the Verge knocked the 4S for not having LTE, yet they devote a whole column to explain why the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE. And people still claim these tech sites don't have an anti-Apple bias? image

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte

LOL that article makes absolutely no sense. The iPhone 5 is (soon going to be) available unlocked with LTE, in a form compatible with all US carriers. It's "pure" -- not hobbled with any carrier garbage. Apple can do it. Why can't Google? This article sounds like an excuse.

• Reply 180 of 206

So did Jelly Bean fix the latency issues that are a main reason Android is such a piece of shit OS? Did Google deliver on their promised low-latency audio, at least?