Google announces Nexus 4 smartphone, Nexus 10 tablet, Android 4.2

Comments

• Reply 121 of 206
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Who said anything about "Flagship" models!"? What a pathetic excuse. Apple doesn't have a flagship model, just an iPhone. It has LTE. Nexus does not have LTE.

ummm... the poster I was responding to:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153845/google-announces-nexus-4-smartphone-nexus-10-tablet-android-4-2/80#post_2221889

That's one reason everyone here tends to include the original comments when replying. It would keep most readers from missing the relevance of a postimage

Also FWIW, yes Nexus phones like the Galaxy Nexus have LTE. Just not this specific Nexus phone.

• Reply 122 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's only being launched on TMobile AFAIK, who doesn't have LTE. 

Are you sure it is launched on TMobile alone?

Isn't it unlocked? If so, does it matter what carrier it is launched on?

• Reply 123 of 206
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153845/google-announces-nexus-4-smartphone-nexus-10-tablet-android-4-2/80#post_2221889
    That's one reason everyone here tends to include the original comments when replying.:rolleyes:

Also FWIW, yes Nexus phones like the Galaxy Nexus have LTE. Just not this specific Nexus phone.

My apologies. I still think it's very lame to release this Nexus phone without LTE. That should make it a non-starter for the myriad of people who complained about the lacks of such on the 4S.
  • Reply 124 of 206

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why only T-Mobile?

Because it's the one carrier in the world on which Apple can't beat them in sales. 

On T-Mobile, at least this thing has a REMOTE chance of becoming the "top-selling" device.

• Reply 125 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Are you sure it is launched on TMobile alone?

Yes, TMobile was announced as the premier launch partner.

• Reply 126 of 206

Quote:

My apologies. I still think it's very lame to release this Nexus phone without LTE. That should make it a non-starter for the myriad of people who complained about the lacks of such on the 4S.

Fair enough.

• Reply 127 of 206

Quote:

Why does The Verge feel they have to make excuses for Google? If it was Apple, it would be criticised, no doubt about it.

Quote:

TheVerge thinks they can explain it. Are they right? Dunno, and what TheVerge wrote didn't come from Google themselves.

"For Google, Nexus is a flagship brand that represents the best of Android, with Google leading by example to show other hardware manufacturers what Android can be. And though partners build the hardware, Google wants direct control of the software on Nexus devices with no carrier intervention. That alone means Google can't sell an LTE device, as there's simply no access to LTE networks without working with carriers in one way or another: Verizon and Sprint's LTE networks still require compatibility with their 3G CDMA systems, and there's essentially no such thing as an unlocked CDMA device. AT&T's fledgling LTE network runs on different frequencies than other LTE networks around the world, so Google would have to build a custom phone for just 77 markets in the US. Doing that without AT&T's financial assistance makes little sense."

MG Siegler has a better explanation: Carriers won't let Google push Android updates on regular Android phones. So Google releases an unlocked brand to showcase its latest Android software. But carriers only allow this on their terms (in this case, no LTE). Apple got their way because they "fought for the user. Google sold us out to sell some phones. Now the devil is collecting."

• Reply 128 of 206

Quote:

Yes, TMobile was announced as the premier launch partner.

But does it matter since it is unlocked? Google didn't need a launch partner for this unless they are interested in making it more than a reference model.

• Reply 129 of 206
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

That's one reason everyone here tends to include the original comments when replying. It would keep most readers from missing the relevance of a postimage

I tend to quote to prevent somebody from modifying their post to change the original context (e.g. pointing out somebody is wrong and they correct it acting like "what are you talking about?").

• Reply 130 of 206

Quote:

But does it matter since it is unlocked?

Not sure what you mean exactly. You can use this on ATT's network if you wanted but ATT isn't selling it, at least not yet. And without ATT's active assistance I doubt it will ever have LTE. To reiterate a point I made earlier, I think it serves more as evidence what the Nexus devices are introduced for, and it's not to be commercial successes nor compete with the Android licensees.

• Reply 131 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I tend to quote to prevent somebody from modifying their post to change the original context (e.g. pointing out somebody is wrong and they correct it acting like "what are you talking about?").

I've never seen that as an issue at any other forum I'm a member of, but for here that might be a good reason to quote.

• Reply 132 of 206

Quote:

MG Siegler has a better explanation: Carriers won't let Google push Android updates on regular Android phones. So Google releases an unlocked brand to showcase its latest Android software. But carriers only allow this on their terms (in this case, no LTE). Apple got their way because they "fought for the user. Google sold us out to sell some phones. Now the devil is collecting."

Well of course Mr. Siegler has a better explanation. I'm sure Daniel does too. MG's being just his typical self. Obviously Apple had iPhones to sell and deals to make. Google had no phones to sell. Somewhat different bargaining position, don't you think?

• Reply 133 of 206

Give it 3 months before the nerds lust after something with more 1337 specs.

• Reply 134 of 206
    They also won't profit on the device directly, but rather through your information and ad preferences...Shady...
  • Reply 135 of 206
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    iPad mini width: 134.7 mm

Nexus 10: 177.6
    You're mistakenly comparing the width of the 10" display Nexus 10 to the iPad Mini rather than the full-size iPad.
    [/quote]

I am? I read Apple here, and Nexus 10 here

Those 40 mm difference in width will make a deciding difference, I think...
  • Reply 136 of 206
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I must say what a stupid day to announce this. Here in the USA all the news coverage is focused on hurricane Sandy. This will get zero news coverage.
  • Reply 137 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You're mistakenly comparing the width of the 10" display Nexus 10 to the iPad Mini rather than the full-size iPad.

[/quote]

I am? I read Apple here, and Nexus 10 here

Those 40 mm difference in width will make a deciding difference, I think...

Didn't you say iPad Mini? See your original post. The Nexus 10 is a full-size tablet. The Nexus7 is closer in screen size to the iPad Mini.

Apple's iPad:

Height:

9.50 inches (241.2 mm)

Width:

7.31 inches (185.7 mm)

Depth:

0.37 inch (9.4 mm)

Weight:

1.44 pounds (652 g)

Nexus10 (Note that dimensions are in landscape while iPad is in portrait):

Size W: 10.39 in (263.9 mm) - taller than iPad

H: 6.99 in (177.6 mm) - narrower than iPad

D: 0.35 in (8.9 mm) - thinner than iPad

Weight 1.33 lbs (603 g) - lighter than iPad

• Reply 138 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Interesting - Now Google has a real brand in Nexus, with 3 products spanning different sizes and utility. Particularly interesting that they use LG to make Nexus 4, Asus to make Nexus 7 and Samsung to make Samsung 10. Have they heard of a company called Motorola?

Yes, they have. It seems to be their patent-holder company.

• Reply 139 of 206
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Apple didnt miss any of there guidance, but the beats are slowing down indeed. 

PREVIOUS EARNINGS:

2010 Q1 (Ending 12/31/10) Guidance = $4.80; Actual = $6.43;(Beat = 40.0%)

2011 Q2 (Ending 3/31/11) Guidance = $4.90; Actual = $6.40; (Beat = 30.6%)

2011 Q3 (Ending 6/31/11) Guidance = $5.07; Actual = $7.79; (Beat = 53.6%)

2011 Q4 (Ending 9/24/11) Guidance = $5.50; Actual = $7.05 (Beat = 28.2%)

2012 Q1 (Ending 12/31/11) Guidance = $9.30; Actual = $13.87 (Beat = 49.1%)

2012 Q2 (Ending 3/31/12) Guidance = $8.50; Actual = $12.30 (Beat = 44.7%)

2012 Q3 (Ending 6/30/12) Guidance = $8.68; Actual = $9.32 (Beat = 7.4%)

2012 Q4 (Ending 6/30/12) Guidance = $7.65; Actual = $8.67 (Beat = 13.3%)

I think the ipad 4 update was to counter that nexus 10 tablet. Apple is on the defensive in the tablet space. But the price are very agressive, not easy for Apple to counter this without hurting there margins.  I still think Apple ecosystem, build quality and design are better and it may keep strong sales going on. They are after all, selling every phone and tablet they can make.

Apple is going to see operating margins improvement in Q2, it may pass that to the consumer by lowering there price. I dont think they will have a choice actually.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

No one was taking Apple guidance seriously, so it was beating consensus that mattered. It may be that Cook is being more honest than Jobs, thus the smaller beats (yes, I know Q1 2012 is post-Jobs, but it takes time to change the culture).

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 140 of 206
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,104member

Quote:

The Nexus devices aren't meant as "flagship" models. They've been used as proof-of-concept models used to preview and launch new OS versions. "Flagship" models have been left to the Android licensees themselves to develop. 

That is such bullshit.  The Nexus 7" tablet is NOT there flagship tablet product?   Get real