Apple execs Scott Forstall and John Browett to leave company [u]

Comments

• Reply 141 of 233

Now that the retail guy is gone, can i dream about a portuguese Apple Store?

After the opportunity to watch Depeche Mode here (july, next year), i would love to make a nice quiet trip to the first Portuguese Apple Store.

Apple has so much money, why not invest a fraction of it in order to build the power of Apple's name? why not make accelerate immensely the pace of Apple's retail arm growth?  

• Reply 142 of 233

Forstall's exit says a lot about who is in control at Apple. This is a strong, gutsy move by Cook, one I would have never predicted given Forstall's long tenure and key position. But Jobs wouldn't and didn't hand over the company to someone not up to the job. 

Today, John Gruber suggested that Forstall's "design taste, engineering management, abrasive style and the whole iOS Maps thing" led to his demise. Gruber described him as a polarizing executive.

• Reply 143 of 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

No disrespect to Ive, but what does a hardware design guy know about software UI design? they're two different worlds.

Clearly, Browett was a terrible mistake and it was recognized early here by everyone familiar with his background.

Regarding Forstall and Ive... I agree wholeheartedly. Both types of designers need to collaborate closely. I've never known one person who is equally adept at product engineering, UI design and concept development. Apple needs internal tensions and infighting (within reason) to make sure the best solutions rise to the top. Smoothing over all tensions and installing "yes men" will be very bad for Apple. This is where Steve Jobs brought fear, drive and a desire to be the best in the world to the company. I do not say this lightly... Apple is losing their way.

• Reply 144 of 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It's pathetic and disgusting how everyone here is so quick to throw Scott Forstall under the bus with the 'good riddance' comments, after all he's done for the Apple since the NEXT days, and where SJ obviously believed in him enough to give him so much responsibility. What an utter lack of perspective. This is sad and unexpected news, no reason to be so joyous. Also, hardware design expertise doesnt always translate to software design. Its a different world, for those championing Jony Ive for the role. Forstall is responsible for the most successful mobile platform and mobile appstore in the world, along with software features and paradigms that are now considered standard among the OS of other companies, among many other things at Apple. Give him some fucking credit. 

As for Browett, I couldn't care less, since he's had no impact or influence on the success of Apple. But its strange how he could be out so soon after he got the job. Why was he hired in the 1st place? Was due diligence not done? Was he fired because of internet comments? How much could he **** up in a few months that he would be fired?  

Gotta agree with you on both points.

• Reply 145 of 233
    Both good changes for Apple. I was never comfortable with Forstall heading the group responsible for OS X development. He always seemed more of an iOS guy to me, and I always suspected that he was instrumental in the dumbing down of OS X since Snow Leopard.

And by most accounts, Browett was a disastrous choice to head Apple retail. Hopefully, Tim Cook will make better choices next time.
  • Reply 146 of 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBHoule View Post

Forstall's exit says a lot about who is in control at Apple. This is a strong, gutsy move by Cook, one I would have never predicted given Forstall's long tenure and key position. But Jobs wouldn't and didn't hand over the company to someone not up to the job. 

Today, John Gruber suggested that Forstall's "design taste, engineering management, abrasive style and the whole iOS Maps thing" led to his demise. Gruber described him as a polarizing executive.

Steve Jobs was a polarizing figure.

• Reply 147 of 233
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member

If Apple thought that then they would keep him. 

• Reply 148 of 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've got nothing to add that already hasn't been expressed. From what about Scott's work at Apple he seemed to be great so I'll miss him, but glad that Browett will be leaving.

The stock will be pounded severely tomorrow (or whenever Wall Street re-opens)... almost 100% guaranteed.

• Reply 149 of 233
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    igriv wrote: »
    Scott Forstall is a noted weasel, so good riddance. Browett has been much discussed in these pages, and I don't think there will be many tears shed. Props to Tim!

I suspect the cell data overage issue was the straw that killed Forstall
  • Reply 150 of 233
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree. Forstall is not an unambitious person and woe to Apple if he signs up with a competitor.

If that was true then Apple would make sure that Forstall stuck around. Money talks. If all he wanted was to be CEO and Steve Jobs said no, then he should have left them. Did he think he could muscle his way to CEO? Tim Cook is not soft like he might appear. And I think the thing with Mansfield retiring and coming back has something to do with this. The timing is ... interesting.

• Reply 151 of 233
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    allenbf wrote: »
    Ironically, didn't Browett just receive his signing bonus (AAPL stock?)  

Yep. Thy likely waited until that cleared so he couldn't claim they wanted to shirk him of everything.
  • Reply 152 of 233

Quote:

Steve Jobs was a polarizing figure.

But he was CEO.

• Reply 153 of 233

Quote:

The stock will be pounded severely tomorrow (or whenever Wall Street re-opens)... almost 100% guaranteed.

Let it be... The stock is irrelevant.

What is relevant is that apple is the only tech company that "get's it" and is willing to do something better. The others are parasites.

I fail to see why this cannot be a great move in every way. 

• Reply 154 of 233
    i think Apple is moving in right direction. Ive can really help changing iOS7 UI. Craig controlling iOS and OS X shows Tim and management are willing to change the UI and User experience for both OS.
  • Reply 155 of 233

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I suspect the cell data overage issue was the straw that killed Forstall

Not sure what you mean...the Verizon Wifi-LTE switching issue on the iPhone 5? I thought that was Verizon problem.

• Reply 156 of 233
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    As noted by someone on Twitter this might be the first time the comment 'This wouldn't have happened if Steve Jobs were alive" might actually be reasonable.
  • Reply 157 of 233
    Let us hope with more software input from Ive, Apple will get rid of the hideous skeuomorphic UI of calendar, address book, etc. and fast.
  • Reply 158 of 233

Stock market will be closed tomorrow because of SANDY!!!

• Reply 159 of 233

Quote:

I don't put any stock, no pun intended, in the stock market or what Wall Street says. They're like vampires.

• Reply 160 of 233
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Woah...no Scott...or did I miss him in something?

I noticed his absence at the iPad Mini launch and the fact he wasn't in the video...so this was certainly telegraphed.