Functional Chinese knock-off of Apple's Lightning cable disassembled

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

The real way to cutoff 3rd party cables is to have no cable at all.  Wireless sync and charge.  Not sure why Apple is not doing that and is playing games with the knock-off manufacturers.

• Reply 42 of 72
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    bigmac2 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I've change my post after your reply.
    ...but you didn't fix the count of pins? (pins 1-11+shield > 9)
  • Reply 43 of 72
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

...but you didn't fix the count of pins? (pins 1-11+shield > 9)

Mstone made the count, it wasn't me.

Beside it doesn't change the fact that USB 3 doesn't have enough unused pin nor the Lightning port abilities to output all signals we need from a dock port for a mobile device. 

• Reply 44 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    bigmac2 wrote: »

What is special about the Lightning to Apple Dock adapter is the audio DAC is within the cable's connector, a bad DAC or bad analog stage design can make it prone to analog noise if you're using the Dock audio output

It would matter if you are using an audio dock, but analog audio has no bearing on this particular cable. It would on a dock, but it's best to use the headphone jack for analog out.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

While I think it is pointless to criticize Apple’s decision to use the lightning connector, I was pissed that even Apple was not able to provide adapters or other accessories on launch day—this just exasperates the knock-off issue.  Soon, other unapproved accessories (docks, car chargers, etc.) will come to market, and Apple may be scrambling to play catch-up.  Since analog audio-out is on the bottom of the iPhone 5, and power via Lightning was reverse engineered, a dock with audio out is the next step IMO.  I’ll buy the first car adapter I see—Apple-approved or not—as long as it has decent reviews.

• Reply 46 of 72
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

While I think it is pointless to criticize Apple’s decision to roll the lightning connector, I was pissed that even Apple was not able to provide adapters or other accessories on launch day—this just exasperates the knock-off issue.  Soon, other unapproved accessories (docks, car chargers, etc.) will come to market, and Apple may be scrambling to play catch-up.  Since analog audio-out is on the bottom of the iPhone 5, and power via Lightning was reverse engineered, a dock with audio out is the next step IMO.  I’ll buy the first car adapter I see—Apple-approved or not—as long as it has decent reviews.

My only deception with Apple is the lack of public specs about the lightning port, we don't know much about it yet.

• Reply 47 of 72
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    encino wrote: »
    So someone can just buy a real one from the Apple store and swap it with this fake and return it? If it looks identical, the store will easily take it back. Just be sure to use cash so it won't be traced back to you, if the store even figured it out. Even if they catch you, you can say that's the original cable that came with it, but I doubt they'll track it.

such cheap fraud!...

wow, someone trumped my getting a 14.99 win8 upgrade though the "yes-i-really-did-just-buy-a-computer-so-i-can-try-a-"new"-os-that-only-has-cool-task-manager"...
  • Reply 48 of 72
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tickelo View Post

I registered just to say that:

WHAT WE HELL IS "the connection is "very noisy""???

It is DATA cable, for digital data! Digital signal physically can be noisy by itself, but it never effects the data you send! That is one of the main purposes why we use digital signals!

Syncing and connecting to music player with USB-Lighting cable involves only digital signal, so WTF Frank Donghi is talking about? What you need silver handmade cable? Really?

Man, I'm so pissed as a student of telecommunication.

I was wondering the same thing... "Noise? On a digital line? Huh?" Sure, I suppose the lack of shielding could allow EMI or RFI to distort the signal somewhat and it wouldn't be wrong to call it "noise" but unless it's bad enough to corrupt the data stream it should be imperceptible.

I found myself wondering if a vested interest in selling $250 custom cables influenced his analysis.

• Reply 49 of 72
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Of course the generalization doesn't mean they're all bad. But there is a risk, at least of wasting money and time. Generally unlicensed dock connector cables fell apart considerably quicker than licensed ones.

Unless it is a cable for the Kindle. @#$%!!

• Reply 50 of 72
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

What is special about the Lightning to Apple Dock adapter is the audio DAC is within the cable's connector, a bad DAC or bad analog stage design can make it prone to analog noise if you're using the Dock audio output

What the article references is NOT an adaptor though. It is the USB-Lightning cable. There is no DAC, no analog stage, and no place for interference to induce the audible variety of "noise."

• Reply 51 of 72
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    sevenfeet wrote: »
    Have you ever actually used micro-USB?  Every time I plug the thing in, I have to stop, check the orientation, and then try to insert the thing...sometimes not getting it right on the first try.  The whole point of the new connector was ease of use, and multiple applications.  So you can do USB...or analog audio, or HDMI or whatever comes down the pike.
    Lol, yep micro-USB has a direction to be plugged... I guess paying the lighting cable $19.99 while it should cost a quarter of that price -i.e. with a reasonable margin- is all too justified to remove that standard connector "confusion". The whole point of a proprietary connector when standard connectors alternatives exist is to have control and to make even more margin on the usual people, Apple could have gone with micro-usb and micro-hdmi but it would have missed the outrageous margin...
  • Reply 52 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    sensi wrote: »
    Lol, yep micro-USB has a direction to be plugged... I guess paying the lighting cable $19.99 while it should cost a quarter of that price -i.e. with a reasonable margin- is all too justified to remove that standard connector "confusion". The whole point of a proprietary connector when standard connectors alternatives exist is to have control and to make even more margin on the usual people, Apple could have gone with micro-usb and micro-hdmi but it would have missed the outrageous margin...

The reversibility is just one aspect of the design. You don't think the Lightning connector might be more rugged? It looks to me to be a more sturdy mechanical design being a solid potted/fused connector design rather than separate pieces crimped together. I like that it's a smooth detent design rather than a spongy friction fit that the smaller USB connectors are.

I can't say I like the idea of spending more, but it's clearly a better design. Mini and micro USB just aren't impressive in any measure except for how pervasive it is. Mechanically, it's not that sound. Mini USB 3 is a silly boondoggle as well, and Lightning can probably adapt just fine without changing the connector.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    You don't think the Lightning connector might be more rugged? It looks to me to be a more sturdy mechanical design. The reversibility is just one aspect of the design. I like that it's a detent design rather than a spongy friction fit that the smaller USB connectors are.
    Well we will see how long they last, the only sure thing is that it will still cost you far more than if you were allowed to use non-proprietary aka industry standard connectors, and that will remain an unfortunate constant. I am all for standard connectors, what Apple could have done is to merge the above mentioned standard connectors side-to-side on its cord/adapters, you will still have the direction "issue" but the convenience of a single cord and ubiquitous industry standards.
  • Reply 54 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

I am not sure if DAC is inside of a data cable. I mean that is the point of putting DAC into cable which has lighting on one side and TYPE-A USB on another?

• Reply 55 of 72
    taniatania Posts: 63member

so, uh, will there be some kind of sticker or mark for authorized lightning cables to help uninformed customers such as myself?

• Reply 56 of 72

Originally Posted by tania View Post

so, uh, will there be some kind of sticker or mark for authorized lightning cables to help uninformed customers such as myself?

?

• Reply 57 of 72
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    surothog wrote: »
    I could swear that there was a law that dealt with reverse engineering of encrypted protocols. In particular, it was based on reverse-engineering of the protocol used in printer cartridges. I could swear that the law pretty much said you can't just reverse engineer a communications protocol and sell that product. If that's the case, then as mentioned above, when these hit the shores, there should be lawyers aplenty.
    Does anyone recall the relevant details of the law on this topic? It's been years, so it's fuzzy.

I suspect that you're referring to DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act). The law says that it's illegal to reverse engineer something that is encrypted for the purpose of restricting access:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

I don't believe it has been established that Apple's cable has encryption. If it's not encrypted, then copying is allowed (as long as no patents are violated). If it's encrypted, then making a copy could be a DMCA violation, although the law is not really settled in the courts yet.
  • Reply 58 of 72

Other companies manufactured the 30 Pin connectors legally so I assume that we will indeed see some such cables. They will probably not be knockoff apple like this one, but will instead be branded to manufacturers. I assume that these will be available on Ebay for shipping from Hong Kong like most knockoffs though. I have a knockoff non-working iPhone 5 on my shelf that I got from HK for $12 including shipping. I have an iPhone 4 and I'm waiting for the seventh generation, but I loved the design so I bought that to bide me time.

• Reply 59 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Lightning cables only benefit Apple. I'm glad someone has managed to do this and hopefully many more companies start making 'knock offs'.

Either that or Apple does a u-turn and does the sensible thing by adding micro USB to every device.

My current Android phone takes forever to charge using micro USB compared to my old iPhone 3G.  That's plugging it directly to an AC outlet.  When plugging it into my computer USB plugin the difference in battery charge times is even more noticeable.  The iPhone with the old 30 pin connector just charged my iPhone faster than does the micro USB charging my Android.  There is a slight difference in battery size though in which my Android is bigger but the difference is still extreme.  I don't know why this is the case as I thought they would have comparable results but it is.

Just to give you an idea and this is not accurate test results but just quesstimating.  If charging the phones from 0% battery the iPhone would be done charging and the Android would still be under but close to 50%.

Personally I think people blow this whole proprietary cable stuff out of proportion.  It's not as if you have to buy the wire separate when you buy an Apple device, as it comes packaged with one, unless you want to buy an extra one.  I don't see anyone complaining that most Android phones these days don't come with headphones causing you to have to buy them along with the purchase of your phone. 

People are going to complain about all the devices (such as alarm clocks and speakers) that used the old plug.  So if Apple was to have switched to micro USB this time around wouldn't that still make your devices incompatible?  All the people that complained about that would still be complaining.

I think this is just one of those things that people will complain just for the sake of complaining against Apple. 

In the same token, when they don't redesign the iPhone allowing you to use the same case you had with your previous iPhone, if you upgraded from a 4 to 4s, then Apple sucks and is doing nothing new for you.

• Reply 60 of 72
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

What? Donghi's website charges £100 for an "iPhone-5-Audiophile-Silver-Custom-Made-Lightning-Cable", the only product found by a site search for "lightning".

Yes, but it uses pure silver plated, ultra pure copper wires that he hand braids(perhaps on his shaved naked thigh?)

Apparently somebody thinks this makes the digital signal even better!

I can see the king's new clothes, can't you?