Sales of Google's Nexus 7 tablet approach 1 million per month

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

It is also interesting that Android enjoys a larger sales advantage in Europe, where the vaunted Apple ecosystem is far stronger.

In Europe it's on sale for €329. For a strange, unknown reason the Nexus 7 is also 199/249.

Someone explain me please why every company now have the stupidity to charge the same nominal price in euro after the price in US$?

If there is an import tax it's ok but I suspect it can't be exactly the - daily moving - difference between the exchange rate of the two currencies.

• Reply 82 of 113
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Quote:

Not for long. I bet the Mini takes a huge bite out of this (and every other tablet sales).

Any guess on Mini first week sales? 5 Million?

I doubt Apple will publish any more figure and whatever they put out will be deemed by the analysts as not good enough and then bash the share again.

Look at Amazon, made a loss the last quarter their share price rocketed and their P/E is 2676.93 while Apple is 13.53.

Bozos is clever by keeping his mouth shut and let the analysts talk on his behalf and their wild guesses keep fueling the stock.

• Reply 83 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

You know, Apple also defines goods 'sold' as being the same as 'shipped' to resellers...  It's in the fine print of their quarterly statements if you actually take the time to look.  

I remember as if they spoke during the conference call about 9 million iPhones in the channels at the end of the quarter. So you're probably wrong.

• Reply 84 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

The Android ecosystem is now getting much bigger, with Samsung selling twice as many smartphones as Apple selling iPhones. Factor in all the other smartphone makers, the Android ecosystem is bigger.

The iPad mini is just a defensive move to slow the Android expansion.

Sooo...Apple is jealous of Android?

• Reply 85 of 113
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

See above. No one has said Apple has to copy. Apple DOES have to respond though. No one is above that. I wouldn't say Apple has been leading the last two years. I would say they started at parity at that point and 12 months later had fallen behind but people didn't mind waiting. Now two years later, they are clearly behind. The stock just plunged below $600. They've just tossed out a couple of execs. People cannot cite past success and simply suggest that the future will be the same trend.

So their stock has plunged below $600 does it mean the sky is falling then how do you read Amazon which has a P/E of 2676.93 and share price of $232.10, bear in mind they lost money in the last quarter so does it mean they are way ahead in the game.

No use confusing the issue by throwing in the share price because there is too much variable involved, mind you Apple is a great shorts' target too so try not to put too much emphasis there.

There is no right or wrong in whatever Apple is doing and how do you measure that they are behind as in what. 

Btw Apple is not the type of company to want to be the first in everything especially when they know it is not prime time for these technologies while others jump in just want to be ahead even when the implementation is bad.

• Reply 86 of 113
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mac-user wrote: »
    I remember as if they spoke during the conference call about 9 million iPhones in the channels at the end of the quarter. So you're probably wrong.

True, but irrelevant.

What really matters is the CHANGE in channel inventory. If your channel inventory remains constant, it means that you're selling them as fast as you're shipping them. If channel inventory is increasing, then you're shipping them faster than your retailers can sell them - and vice versa.

Apple's channel inventory has remained quite constant for a long time - so their shipment figures are quite representative of sell-through. Since none of the Android vendors publish real figures, it's impossible to say for Android vendors.
  • Reply 87 of 113
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Leadership in what sense, exactly?

Innovation both in hardware and software within the realm of smartphones and touch devices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Thanks for being the example.

How does "Apple doesn't care too much about market share. It still has the lion's share on the profit pie. The no subsidy issue really caused problems for the iPad, they only sold 100 MM of them." support your claim that Apple thinks it can ignore the market and doesn't have to respond? It doesn't. In fact, Apple's huge profit share suggests that they're very precisely in tune with the portion of the market that they want.

Because past performance doesn't dictate or prove future performance. The market wasn't tossing out buckloads of cheap quad-core tablets with double the storage for a two-thirds of the price of Apple offerings at that time. Now they are and the response is Apple doesn't have to meet this because they won in the past.

Most statistics put Apple at around or above 70% of the tablet market. Now they are often being shown at around 54-57% depending upon the source just a couple of quarters later. That means Apple was being outgrown with products barely on par with regard to hardware, software and ecosystem. Most of us Apple fans thought of those first gen Kindle Fire's, etc as more like novelty purchases yet they have given Android a start in the market. Apple responded with the third gen iPad three which we all agree was great. Now though there is a Nexus 10 and 7 all with much better specs than even the newly updated iPad and the iPad mini still has the same specs as the iPad second gen which was an 18 month old product.

At some point, it will catch up to Apple. They've dropped 13% more of the market before these products. Do we need to wait until they are a minority majority again before we suggest they step it up? Do we need to wait until they are a solid minority share? When does the present performance ever become a concern?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

So their stock has plunged below $600 does it mean the sky is falling then how do you read Amazon which has a P/E of 2676.93 and share price of $232.10, bear in mind they lost money in the last quarter so does it mean they are way ahead in the game.

No use confusing the issue by throwing in the share price because there is too much variable involved, mind you Apple is a great shorts' target too so try not to put too much emphasis there.

There is no right or wrong in whatever Apple is doing and how do you measure that they are behind as in what. 

Btw Apple is not the type of company to want to be the first in everything especially when they know it is not prime time for these technologies while others jump in just want to be ahead even when the implementation is bad.

Amazon doesn't make their profits off their hardware. Also it wouldn't matter if Amazon failed outright tomorrow. Amazon is the sole supplier of Android tablets. Also please don't lecture me about following Apple. I've been following Apple since the IIe. I know the company history. In fact I know it will enough not to want them to repeat it.

• Reply 88 of 113
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Asus is the company worth checking out:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=29073

Yeah their numbers are still small compared to heavy hitters like Apple, but they are growing like wild mushrooms after the rain.
  • Reply 89 of 113
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    macsavy wrote: »
    So 1 million people a month are buying a 200 coaster! Ooo lala big spenders ;) at least the plastic back will keep the heat of your coffee from leaving a ring on your table while you surf on your iPad bahahah

Didn't the 3GS that was still being sold up until last month made out of plastic?
  • Reply 90 of 113
    Sooo...Apple is jealous of Android?

Not jealous, but maybe just maybe a little nervous. Now we know there wouldn't be any of the current Android tablets if it weren't for the iPad, but would there be a iPad mini if it weren't for Android tablets?
  • Reply 91 of 113

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not jealous, but maybe just maybe a little nervous.

95% of tablets actually in use. I doubt it.

• Reply 92 of 113
    95% of tablets actually in use. I doubt it.

Then why a mini? And don't give me that price umbrella BS, that's the biggest crock of shyte I've ever heard.
  • Reply 93 of 113

Then why a mini?

That's the stumper.

• Reply 94 of 113
    That's the stumper.

Read Eddie Cue's email and get unstumped.
  • Reply 95 of 113

Read Eddie Cue's email and get unstumped.

The one which neither gives a reason for making said device nor CC's Steve, you mean? Not sure how that answers any questions.

• Reply 96 of 113
    The one which neither gives a reason for making said device nor CC's Steve, you mean? Not sure how that answers any questions.

Why does anyone make something? Because there's a market for it, but it is a stumper especially after SJ said 10" is the minimum size for making great tabletapps .
  • Reply 97 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the stumper.

I think you are missing the boat. I really think Apple may have really hit a sizing sweet spot here. Not only will it open new markets many will trade down just of the size. Gruber is Retina Zealot but after using the Mini he is ready to give up his Retina iPad 3 for the size.

Quote:

http://daringfireball.net/2012/10/ipad_mini

If the Mini had a retina display, I’d switch from the iPad 3 in a heartbeat. As it stands, I’m going to switch anyway. Going non-retina is a particularly bitter pill for me, but I like the iPad Mini’s size and weight so much that I’m going to swallow it.

There is definitely a hole in the lineup between iPod and iPad.  Apple managed to cram the maximum amount of screen possible into something you can hold in one hand.

It weighs half us much can be spanned with one hand, yet if you look at them side-by-side, the screen doesn't seem that much smaller than the regular iPad. It looks like 80% of screen in half the size.

What this also does is potentially open up the regular iPad to increase screen size. There is less need for regular iPad to be as portable, since there is a really good portable iPad. Regular iPad may even need to grow in screen size, because really it doesn't seem that much bigger anymore than the Mini.

• Reply 98 of 113

Why does anyone make something? Because there's a market for it…

But what IS that market? How big is it? Where is it defined? The iPad mini is not an eReader, so it's not the eReader market that has to be counted up. It's a tablet, and so looking at the tablet market, the iPad already has all but 5% of tablets in use. Why would they spend whatever just for that last 5%?

I'm not saying they don't have a reason, I'm saying I've no idea what it's supposed to be.

• Reply 99 of 113
    But what IS that market? How big is it? Where is it defined? The iPad mini is not an eReader, so it's not the eReader market that has to be counted up. It's a tablet, and so looking at the tablet market, the iPad already has all but 5% of tablets in use. Why would they spend whatever just for that last 5%?

I'm not saying they don't have a reason, I'm saying I've no idea what it's supposed to be.

The 7" or so market. Eddy saw that there was going to be a big enough one for Apple to get in on one. Personally I thought of getting a iPad mini but will wait for the retina display version, but I will be getting a 32GB Nexus 7 until then.
  • Reply 100 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why quote usage? Apple makes most of its money on sales, right now that is something like 40% in the other category (almost all in small tablets) and potentially growing, up for grabs.