Sales of Google's Nexus 7 tablet approach 1 million per month

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

WSJ did not get the story right.  Here is one from the CEO.

Asustek optimistic about Nexus 7 shipments, says CEO

Monica Chen, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 30 October 2012]

Since iPad mini is priced starting at US$329, Asustek Computer has felt less competitive pressure on the Nexus 7 because of the significant price gap between the two tablets, and target customers for iPad mini are different from those for Nexus 7, according to company CEO Jerry Shen.

Mainly due to booming shipments of Nexus 7, Asustek shipped 2.3 million tablets in the third quarter of 2012 and expects to ship 2.6 million in the fourth quarter to reach 6.3 million units for the whole year, 3.5 times the 1.8 million units shipped in 2011, Shen indicated. Asustek has considered the increasing competition among tablet vendors and accordingly has drawn up strategies for competition, Shen pointed out. Asustek expects to ship at least 10 million tablets in 2013 to become globally the largest vendor except Apple, Shen said.

Among Android tablets, 7-inch models have become the mainstream accounting for over 70% of total sales, Shen noted. Asustek is not worried about Google's cooperation with Samsung Electronics to launch the Nexus 10 because Asustek will hike performance-cost ratios for its 10-inch Transformer series tablets, Shen pointed out. Asustek will maintain close cooperative relations with Google, Shen stressed.

As Microsoft has launched Surface RT and will launch Windows 8 Surface in the first quarter of 2013, Shen indicated that the Surface series tablets are quite expensive and not slim enough, and therefore are likely to be suitable for business use. With advantages in the development of notebooks and tablets, Asustek is capable of offering less expensive and relatively slimmer Windows 8/RT tablets, Shen pointed out. However, the market acceptance of Windows 8/RT tablets will not be certain until 2013, and therefore Asustek will focus on Android for the time being, Shen noted.

• Reply 102 of 113

Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Why quote usage? Apple makes most of its money on sales, right now that is something like 40% in the other category (almost all in small tablets) and potentially growing, up for grabs.

Because what good are sales (or "sales") if the devices aren't being used? They're no good to users, who aren't using them, they're no good to developers, who won't get revenue from them and would have little incentive to develop for them (if the platform differs), they're no good to Apple, who is wasting money on manufacturing them…

If all that "mattered" was that Apple has your money in their pocket, that would be a different story. Apple doesn't revolve around the POS income. They barely revolve around money.

• Reply 103 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because what good are sales (or "sales") if the devices aren't being used? They're no good to users, who aren't using them, they're no good to developers, who won't get revenue from them and would have little incentive to develop for them (if the platform differs), they're no good to Apple, who is wasting money on manufacturing them…

If all that "mattered" was that Apple has your money in their pocket, that would be a different story. Apple doesn't revolve around the POS income. They barely revolve around money.

What? Apples business is selling HW for profit. So of course sales matter.

Besides the stats you quote on usage are for web browsing. It doesn't mean they aren't being used, just that they aren't be used much for web browsing.  After using my friends 16:10 7" tablets I understand why. Small screen area makes it  frustrating  for web browsing. But Mini has significantly more screen area, making it potentially much better for web browsing.

Maybe you should try a Mini before you write it off.

• Reply 104 of 113
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then why a mini? 

Because it's a useful size?

• Reply 105 of 113
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then why a mini? And don't give me that price umbrella BS, that's the biggest crock of shyte I've ever heard.

Because some people want a smaller tablet. Apple can make a smaller tablet and keep more people happy while making more money. By offering a smaller tablet, Apple can keep some people (those who think 10" is too large) from switching to Android.

What more reason do you need?

And don't believe the figure that 95% of tablets are iPads. That's clearly a bogus number. They don't provide methodology nor is there any information which would allow you to determine how representative the numbers are. More importantly, the fact that Android users who have 7" tablets appear not to use them much doesn't mean that people aren't buying them - or that they wouldn't be more likely to use an 8" iPad. I fully expect that once the data is in, the 8" iPad users will have usage patterns far closer to the 10" iPad users than to the 7" Android users.

Most figures show that Apple has about 60% of tablet sales. If they can capture only 40% of the remaining market, it will add 25% to their sales (and a significant percentage to profits). Furthermore, it would reduce Android sales by 40% which would impact the competitive situation.

The question is not "why does Apple sell an iPad Mini", but rather "why are some people so narrow minded that they can't understand that there's room for two sizes of tablets in the Apple ecosystem?"
  • Reply 106 of 113
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But what IS that market? How big is it?

Evidently it is on track to be > 12M a year when you factor in Nooks, Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 sales.  Or about one quarter's worth of current iPad sales.  That's a lot more than the 5% number you keep bandying about.

The Nexus and Fire HD both have usable resolution for web surfing whereas before they were a bit short.  The 1024x600 of the previous generation of 7" tablet is too tight for web viewing.  1280x800 is a lot better and 16:10 a decent ratio for content creation apps.

As far as what IS the market:  mobile tablet.  The iPad makes for a great family tablet that stays largely at home.  The mini is a better on the go tablet to take with you.

• Reply 107 of 113
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Amazon doesn't make their profits off their hardware. Also it wouldn't matter if Amazon failed outright tomorrow. Amazon is the sole supplier of Android tablets. Also please don't lecture me about following Apple. I've been following Apple since the IIe. I know the company history. In fact I know it will enough not to want them to repeat it.

Since you brought up the fact of Apple share price so I brought in Amazon out of the world share price.

Believe since you claimed you are the best pardon me for lecturing you since I am humbly a novice and you are the know all,

lle? LOL. 

• Reply 108 of 113
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Because some people want a smaller tablet. Apple can make a smaller tablet and keep more people happy while making more money. By offering a smaller tablet, Apple can keep some people (those who think 10" is too large) from switching to Android.
    What more reason do you need?
    And don't believe the figure that 95% of tablets are iPads. That's clearly a bogus number. They don't provide methodology nor is there any information which would allow you to determine how representative the numbers are. More importantly, the fact that Android users who have 7" tablets appear not to use them much doesn't mean that people aren't buying them - or that they wouldn't be more likely to use an 8" iPad. I fully expect that once the data is in, the 8" iPad users will have usage patterns far closer to the 10" iPad users than to the 7" Android users.
    Most figures show that Apple has about 60% of tablet sales. If they can capture only 40% of the remaining market, it will add 25% to their sales (and a significant percentage to profits). Furthermore, it would reduce Android sales by 40% which would impact the competitive situation.
    The question is not "why does Apple sell an iPad Mini", but rather "why are some people so narrow minded that they can't understand that there's room for two sizes of tablets in the Apple ecosystem?"

I get why they made the mini, it just seems hypocritical that Apple's coveted R&D department determined that 10" was the ideal size and the minimum for tablet app making, and then all the ridiculing on here when Samsung came out with the 7" Tab.
  • Reply 109 of 113
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member

Quote:

I get why they made the mini, it just seems hypocritical that Apple's coveted R&D department determined that 10" was the ideal size and the minimum for tablet app making, and then all the ridiculing on here when Samsung came out with the 7" Tab.

Comments ridiculing smaller tablets came from the marketing department rather than R&D/engineering IMHO. The perfect size is the one they sell of course. Since Apple didn't have a smaller tablet others selling one didn't make good sense. Now it does. The need for a larger iPhone a year ago was pretty ridiculous too according to many here. Now it's not.

• Reply 110 of 113
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Comments ridiculing smaller tablets came from the marketing department rather than R&D/engineering IMHO. The perfect size is the one they sell of course. Since Apple didn't have a smaller tablet others selling one didn't make good sense. Now it does. The need for a larger iPhone a year ago was pretty ridiculous too according to many here. Now it's not.

The perfect size varies with whatever Apple's selling. Funny how many here say "people wanted a smaller tablet" yet Apple has never been about what the consumer wanted.
  • Reply 111 of 113
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member

Quote:

The perfect size varies with whatever Apple's selling. Funny how many here say "people wanted a smaller tablet" yet Apple has never been about what the consumer wanted.

You certainly wouldn't expect them to say the perfect size was what someone else was selling.

• Reply 112 of 113
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You certainly wouldn't expect them to say the perfect size was what someone else was selling.

Of course not, just don't say there's a perfect size for anything because it doesn't exist. Don't ridicule what another is doing to then eventually do the same.
  • Reply 113 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

these cheap gadgets pollute the globe.

They're very high quality tablets. I have one right here, and two iPads, and an iPhone 4, and an iPhone 5. Oh, and a MBA-BTO (full maxed specs).I can tellyou, the Nexus doesn't look out of place, it's an excellent machine.

Sometimes, you know, it doesn't hurt to say that other people than Apple can do things right.