Apple expected to ship 850K iPad minis in first week of sales

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45

It sounds like it was pretty much a worldwide phenomena.  Lines were a fraction of their normal size.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_21916488/mini-lines-mini-ipad

Veterans of these things were doing double takes and double checking the release info, because there were no early lines forming at all.

The expanding list of countries will probably still make for decent opening weekend numbers, but that looks like it may actually be masking the fall off in demand/country.

• Reply 42 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

I am talking about the lineups when the store opens. These reflect demand, that has no connection with supply. People don't know how many iPads are in the store when they lineup, before the store even opens.

I originally said, in a different thread, that I didn't expect long lines on Friday launch mainly because I don't think the mini is as sought after a device as the iPhone 5 was on launch day. iPhone 5 sold 5 million on launch weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if iPad mini sells 2 million, especially if you count the pre-ordered cellular version which would have been delivered on launch day had it been available. Perhaps that is why Apple felt comfortable opening in more countries as they knew what the demand was going to be. 

I believe I read a rumor that Apple ordered 10 million for the holiday season. I'm hoping they sell out as I really want to see Apple keeping tablet market share numbers up just because I'm an Apple fan man. I think it is a fantastic gift from husband to wife as it fits in a purse, I'm getting one for myself as well... an iPad that is, not a purse.

• Reply 43 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    snowdog65 wrote: »
    The expanding list of countries will probably still make for decent opening weekend numbers, but that looks like it may actually be masking the fall off in demand/country.

Masking? Apple is trying to cover something up? How about Apple knows that with so many updates of more prominent devices that they expected less sales per store and country so they planned for additional countries out of the gate to shore up unit sales numbers? Why is that so unbelievable?
  • Reply 44 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's an indication of demand per store but it has no barring on how many units were sold worldwide on the launch weekend. All you can do is say that if they sold half as many at a single store they sold half as many at a single store. It is no indication of sales or demand when the net is much larger than previous iPad sales.

So you were being sarcastic. . .

My faith in you is restored.

• Reply 45 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I originally said, in a different thread, that I didn't expect long lines on Friday launch mainly because I don't think the mini is as sought after a device as the iPhone 5 was on launch day. iPhone 5 sold 5 million on launch weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if iPad mini sells 2 million, especially if you count the pre-ordered cellular version which would have been delivered on launch day had it been available. Perhaps that is why Apple felt comfortable opening in more countries as they knew what the demand was going to be.

iPhone is kind of the big product for Apple, so I didn't expect it to match that, but there was was a significant falloff vs iPad 3, and this launch is really iPad 4 + Mini. So I wonder if we are see the first signs of market saturation, and a lot of first movers in the small tablet market already have Nexus/Fire.

Quote:

I believe I read a rumor that Apple ordered 10 million for the holiday season. I'm hoping they sell out as I really want to see Apple keeping tablet market share numbers up just because I'm an Apple fan man. I think it is a fantastic gift from husband to wife as it fits in a purse, I'm getting one for myself as well... an iPad that is, not a purse.

I think they will sell 10 million+ minis in the Holiday quarter, but a lot of that might be subtractive from full size iPad sales.  I am waffling about buying one myself. I was at a store checking it out, but they only had black which I find kind of drab looking, and decided I want a white one if I get one.