Samsung Galaxy S III topped Apple's iPhone 4S in Q3 2012 sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    This plainly demonstrates that there is a legitimate market for larger screen phones. Apple could have a significant number of those sales if they had a 4.8 inch device. Personally, I think they will diversify and that there will be a larger screen iPhone sometime this spring. What they do in iOS with two iPhone screen resolutions is a big big deal and I do not know how they will work it out. But from a pure marketing standpoint, they absolutely have to move into that space.
  • Reply 42 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And how would you prop up sales and still maintain margins? Some people expect a new iphone every 4th qtr. They aren't going to buy the current one if they believe a new one is coming out within weeks no matter how much incentives you add. Tim Cook knows what he's doing. Apple has been doing it the last 5 years.

How? As I've said, that's up to Cook to figure out. I've already given two suggestions... someone else has given another. Not everyone who is buying a phone from another company is buying it because it's cheap. Why is Apple losing those sales? That is a question that any good business person should ask. personally I don't think Apple has to lose that many sales. Even adding another 4 or 5 million iPhone sales to the 4th fiscal quarter would be better than allowing Samsung to eat your lunch.

By the way... Apple's last quarter before launch was not always the lowest quarter for iPhone sales.

• Reply 43 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by drwam View Post

This plainly demonstrates that there is a legitimate market for larger screen phones. Apple could have a significant number of those sales if they had a 4.8 inch device. Personally, I think they will diversify and that there will be a larger screen iPhone sometime this spring. What they do in iOS with two iPhone screen resolutions is a big big deal and I do not know how they will work it out. But from a pure marketing standpoint, they absolutely have to move into that space.

No, actually they don't.

• Reply 44 of 84
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

This plainly demonstrates that there is a legitimate market for larger screen phones. 

Really?

So when they're up against a phone that was widely known to be due for an upgrade, doesn't get any discounts, and had a far smaller screen, Samsung only managed to ship  2million more?

This plainly demonstrates that the iPhone4s screen is plenty big enough, and the popularity of the iPhone5 proves that there is a significant number of people who don't want a phone as big as their face.

• Reply 45 of 84
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

No, actually they don't.

And I suspect they won't.

• Reply 46 of 84

Nothing here is based in fact.

• Reply 47 of 84
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member

Numbers from analyst means nothing.....

IF the Samsung SIII was really beating Apple in sales, Samsung should, and probably would, officially announce the numbers..   Do not treat some made up numbers by an analyst, as FACT..

I voted Tuesday..   I saw five or six people using their phones while waiting in line..   ALL were iPhones..   The only non Apple phone I saw was one of the 80 year old poll workers..   She had a flip phone.. image

• Reply 48 of 84
    Shipped does not equal sold. You are comparing two entirely different things. But you already knew that. Link bait.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    Just add phone features to iPad Mini and sell it for $199 with a two year contract
  • Reply 50 of 84
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

" [...] as consumers temporarily held off purchases in anticipation of a widely expected iPhone 5 upgrade at the end of the quarter."

Sales of the year-old iPhone model slow down every year, just before the new model is released.

Then there's a spike in sales of the new model.  As always.  Rinse, repeat, profit.

Speaking of which, Apple Insider posted a story about iPhone 5 web usage surpassing that of the Galaxy S III after just three weeks on the market:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/12/study-iphone-5-web-usage-surges-past-samsung-galaxy-s-iii

Will be interesting to see how well iPhone 5 does in Apple's FY Q1 (calendar year Q4.)

It's already off to a great start.  As always.  Rinse, repeat, profit.

• Reply 51 of 84

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Just add phone features to iPad Mini and sell it for $199 with a two year contract

Please tell me this is a joke.

• Reply 52 of 84
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    The Galaxy S3 is also very crash prone. I know several people with galaxy's and they are all having a random reboot issue. It's also all over the web. I like android as well as ios but the galaxy s3 to me is junk.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    Can we please get an overview of sales of both the iPhone4, 4S and 5 - and the S, SII, SIII
    Or maybe just 4S, 5 and SII, SIII
  • Reply 54 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarligOrm View Post

Can we please get an overview of sales of both the iPhone4, 4S and 5 - and the S, SII, SIII

Or maybe just 4S, 5 and SII, SIII

Neither Apple nor Samsung break out model specific shipment/sales numbers. Numbers from IDC or any of the other companies offering projections are just their best "edjimicated" guesses based at least in part on carrier and retailer surveys.

So no there aren't any verified numbers for each of the models you asked about. Apple does at least do a tad better by reporting what inventory they believe remains in resellers stock allowing a fairly good estimate of sell-thru, tho at what point, by who and how accurately the inventory is counted and reported hasn't been mentioned I don't believe. Still much better than most (any?) of their competitors.

• Reply 55 of 84
    While I will agree shipped does not equal sold. However we all would have to agree that no company will really make over a 35 million phones just to sit them on the shelves. I see Galaxy S IIIs in the wild everyday. They are almost like the iPhone. Yes Samsung is showing shipped numbers. However people are buying them and in groves. It may not be as popular as the iPhone but the Galaxy S III is a definite success. Seriously do you think Samsung would really make 23 million phones and keep making them if no one is buying them. Why in the world would any for profit company do something as stupid as that.
  • Reply 56 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This device has a very impressive sales[/shipment rate.

• May 29 — sold to 28 countries

• June 20 — released in N. America

• July 22 — 10 millionth unit sold/shipped

• Sept 6 — 20 millionth unit sold/shipped

• Nov 3 — 30 millionth unit sold/shipped

Regardless of if you like this device, Android or Samsung these are impressive numbers. Even if you think they are all "fake" numbers because they are not reports from quarterly earnings on sales in the same way Apple releases numbers they have still sold nearly that many as it does not behoove Samsung to keep producing a product they can't move. Bottom line this device is a huge success.

That said, it's only bested the iPhone 4S at the every end of its cycle, and just barely, but no other no competitor's phone has come close to the iPhone in years so it's something to be commended.

Indeed. To try and diminish what Samsung has accomplished by dissecting sales cycles is to be in denial. If iPhone 5 beats Galaxy S3 in the Christmas quarter, should Samsung fans whine that it is only because the iPhone 5 is newer?

It's all about iPhone v. Galaxy S, and no longer about iOS and Android. As for the sold v. shipped argument, it's really old and pointless.

• Reply 57 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Sales of the year-old iPhone model slow down every year, just before the new model is released.

Then there's a spike in sales of the new model.  As always.  Rinse, repeat, profit.

Not true. It wasn't always that way.

• Reply 58 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

While I will agree shipped does not equal sold. However we all would have to agree that no company will really make over a 35 million phones just to sit them on the shelves. I see Galaxy S IIIs in the wild everyday. They are almost like the iPhone. Yes Samsung is showing shipped numbers. However people are buying them and in groves. It may not be as popular as the iPhone but the Galaxy S III is a definite success. Seriously do you think Samsung would really make 23 million phones and keep making them if no one is buying them. Why in the world would any for profit company do something as stupid as that.

Indeed.

• Reply 59 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Does this mean they are selling really well in Florida?!

Couldn't help myself... sorry.

• Reply 60 of 84
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    irnchriz wrote: »
    Without actual published sales figures you can take this 'clickbait' article and wipe your arse with it.

I was reading this on an iPad and decided to try this.

I don't recommend it to anybody else.