Samsung Galaxy S III topped Apple's iPhone 4S in Q3 2012 sales

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the iPhone 4S nearly a year old and the iPhone 5 not quite ramped up to full production, Samsung's Galaxy S III capitalized to become the top selling handset model in the third quarter of calendar 2012.

Strategy

AppleInsider first reported in early September that the Galaxy S III was the top selling smartphone in the U.S. in the month of August, ousting Apple's iPhone 4S from the top spot for the first time in the history of that device's availability. And now, according to the latest data from Strategy Analytics, Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III overtook Apple's iPhone 4S worldwide in the September quarter.

Total sales of the Galaxy S III were 18 million, up from 5.4 million in its launch quarter. In comparison, Apple sold 16.2 million of the iPhone 4S.

Interestingly, with only a week's worth of availability, Apple's iPhone 5 was the third most popular smartphone in the quarter, with 6 million units sold.

The Galaxy S III took 10.7 percent of the total smartphone marketshare during the quarter, edging past Apple's 9.7 percent held by the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 5 accounted for 3.6 percent of all smartphone sales.

"A large touchscreen design, extensive distribution across dozens of countries, and generous operator subsidies have been among the main causes of the Galaxy S III's success," said Neil Shah, senior analyst with Strategy Analytics. "Apple shipped an estimated 16.2 million iPhone 4S units worldwide for second place, as consumers temporarily held off purchases in anticipation of a widely expected iPhone 5 upgrade at the end of the quarter."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the Galaxy S III was the top selling smartphone in the U.S. in the month of August, ousting Apple's iPhone 4S from the top spot for the first time in the history of that device's availability.

Really? The first time in the long, long, long 8 month (at that time) history of that device?

• Reply 2 of 84
    bosoxbosox Posts: 20member
    16 Plus 6 equals?
  • Reply 3 of 84
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

imo Apple need to make 2 iphone models next year.  Keep the iphone 5 with a refresh and introduce a bigger phone.  But instead of a pen, Apple should sell with a small and discreet bluetooth ear piece, something like spy's would used. 

They have multiple ipods size, 2 ipad sizes, why not 2 iphone sizes? The phablet is a growing market because people make less voice calls and more texting/apps/social/web on there device.  Apple needs to adapt, find what that product category really needs and innovate it. I am sure Apple can do better than a pen.

• Reply 4 of 84
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosox View Post

16 Plus 6 equals?

Same as 11 plus 11 but so what?

• Reply 5 of 84
    Where are S3 shipment numbers coming from? I was unaware that any manufacturer other than Apple reported actual sales.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    Why is this a surprise.. everyone was waiting for the iphone 5? not to mention @ the verizon stores they were told to sell verizon cause they have them in stock so....
  • Reply 7 of 84

Quote:

16 Plus 6 equals?

You can't add models.This isn't a brand survey, it's a device survey. 

This is only because one device ramped up and another was winding down for a new one. Next quarter all will return to normal. Nothing to really see here. Though I suppose it's good news to Samsung since there are 9000 Android phones.

• Reply 8 of 84
    ferdferd Posts: 4member
    So really, Apple is the number one maker of flagship phones, not Samsung. Apple sold 22.2M phones and overthrew Samsung that only sold 18M.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This device has a very impressive sales[/shipment rate.

[LIST]
    [*] May 29 — sold to 28 countries
    [*] June 20 — released in N. America
    [*] July 22 — 10 millionth unit sold/shipped
    [*] Sept 6 — 20 millionth unit sold/shipped
    [*] Nov 3 — 30 millionth unit sold/shipped
    [/LIST]

Regardless of if you like this device, Android or Samsung these are impressive numbers. Even if you think they are all "fake" numbers because they are not reports from quarterly earnings on sales in the same way Apple releases numbers they have still sold nearly that many as it does not behoove Samsung to keep producing a product they can't move. Bottom line this device is a huge success.

That said, it's only bested the iPhone 4S at the every end of its cycle, and just barely, but no other no competitor's phone has come close to the iPhone in years so it's something to be commended.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Why oh why did I wait for the iPhone 5... the least I could have done to help Apple when replacing my iPhone 4 would have been to buy the 4S even whilst under contract.  One lives and learns!

• Reply 11 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

So really, Apple is the number one maker of flagship phones, not Samsung. Apple sold 22.2M phones and overthrew Samsung that only sold 18M.

Huh?

That was "1" Samsung phone.

• Reply 12 of 84
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jecaron wrote: »
    Why is this a surprise.. everyone was waiting for the iphone 5? not to mention @ the verizon stores they were told to sell verizon cause they have them in stock so....

Yes the quarter before an expected release the iPhone sales always go down

And are these end user or channel sales. Samsung is notorious for saying 'slaes' without clarifying it is to the channel and not users. As Apple is its own biggest channel when they list sales it is a safe assumption that a good 70% are end user and the rest are to their other channels but we can't necessarily say that about Samsung. This could be channel of which only 20% converted to end users
  • Reply 13 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

If you're going to count 4S and 5, what about the 4? how about the other smartphones Samsung makes? Did you count the GSIIs that they are still selling? The Windows phones they make? Point is your logic is clearly flawed. 

• Reply 14 of 84

Quote:

16 Plus 6 equals?

I noticed that as well. You might have to add about 3 or 4 million of the iPhone 4... but still.

IMHO.... Apple has to change something so there isn't so much of a drop off in the 4th fiscal quarter.

• Reply 15 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I noticed that as well. You might have to add about 3 or 4 million of the iPhone 4... but still.

IMHO.... Apple has to change something so there isn't so much of a drop off in the 4th fiscal quarter.

No way. This measure means nothing. I certainly don't want Apple to hold off for a few days before releasing the next iPhone so that they can close out a quarter to beat Samsung or be even more secretive about the next launch by giving the announcement and sales date even more lead time in an attempt to get customers to buy more of the old model.
  • Reply 16 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No way. This measure means nothing. I certainly don't want Apple to hold off for a few days before releasing the next iPhone so that they can close out a quarter to beat Samsung or be even more secretive about the next launch by giving the announcement and sales date even more lead time in an attempt to get customers to buy more of the old model.

Who is talking about delaying anything?

One idea is to upgrade the processor in the old model a few months into its release, say at the beginning of the 4th fiscal quarter.

This isn't about beating Samsung, it's about selling as many phones as possible.

• Reply 17 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

That's great for Sammy. Can't wait for their press release stating how many phones they sold and not shipped. oh what? Sammy doesn't report those numbers? Well I guess I can make them up. oh what? that's an analyst's job?

• Reply 18 of 84
    So Samsung can sell more than an year old iPhone.

"Impressive!"

NOT
  • Reply 19 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I disagree. Apple should not release flagship phones more than once a year. They also shouldn't release crap phones just for market share either. There's always going to be a drop off during a product transition. You can't avoid it.

• Reply 20 of 84
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Maybe Toyota outsold Nissan. Maybe Coke outsold Pepsi. Who gives a shit? Just buy what you like and what works for you.