Samsung executive says company has no plans to settle with Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following the announcement of a patent licensing agreement between Apple and HTC, an executive for Samsung has signaled that his company has no intention of agreeing to a similar deal.

In a conversation with Korea's Yonhap News Agency, Shin Jong-kyun, the head of Samsung's mobile and IT division indicated that his company doesn't intend to negotiate "at all." He indicated that HTC agreed to pay $276 million to Apple, but said his company would not pay of the iPhone maker to settle their ongoing litigation.

Market watchers have suggested that HTC has agreed to pay between $6 and $8 per phone it sells to Apple in a licensing agreement for the company's patents. Shaw Wu with Sterne Agee also suggested the HTC deal could serve as a blueprint for future settlements with Samsung and Motorola, but the comments from Jong-kyun indicate that Samsung currently has no intention of settling.

Samsung


Apple and HTC announced last weekend that they had settled all of their ongoing patent litigation. The two companies reached a 10-year licensing deal that covers both current and future patents held by both companies, though the terms remain undisclosed.

Samsung and Apple are engaged in a number of lawsuits in multiple countries around the world. Thus far, Apple has had the upper hand in most of the patent litigation between the two companies.

Apple's biggest victory against Samsung came in August, when a jury in California ruled that Samsung had violated Apple's patented inventions. The jury recommended that Samsung be required to pay Apple nearly $1.05 billion in damages.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 83
    Well I guess that let's the blind Samsung supporters see that Apple has tried but Samsung
    Wants to steal with no penalty.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    genovelle wrote: »
    Well I guess that let's the blind Samsung supporters see that Apple has tried but Samsung wants to steal with no penalty.

    I doubt it. My guess is they'll think "Samsung must be innocent otherwise they would have settled."
  • Reply 3 of 83


    I doubt Apple cares. 

  • Reply 4 of 83


    Korean company Samescum thinking... ah-so, HTC licence Apple patents, so now we copy Taiwanese company HTC... therefore no problem from Apple!

     

  • Reply 5 of 83


    My guess would be Apple may have calculated this type of response from Samsung hence the HTC settlement since HTC is not longer a threat. It just helps Apple out on court side.

  • Reply 6 of 83
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Jong Kyun has sacrificed the 4 billion dollar gravy train that Apple has given them for what sounds like a Samsung chest thumping initiative. That's almost 9% of their total annual revenue. Multiple courts have already ruled in Apple's favor regarding intellectual property piracy and are paying damages. Let's see what the Samsung shareholders think of his action when Apple moves their entire 200 million unit, and growing, chip order to TSMC in 2014. Let's just say that Samsung doesn't need to worry about that plant expansion, and I'd be looking for the CEO's head on a stick.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    Famous last words.
  • Reply 8 of 83


    Samsung thinks with US courts/ITC that are slower than molasses, and EU/UK courts that are Samsung friendly, that it is cheaper to pay 'parking ticket fines' if/when they get caught. Sadly they are mostly right. Samsung has a shady reputation that goes well beyond copying Apple (interesting read at http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/3028/samsung-power-corruption-and-lies/).

  • Reply 9 of 83


    At least HTC tries to be innovative, that new phone they announced yesterday, at 440ppi...almost unbelievable. Best part of watching a few of the reviews...Within the first few seconds "this doesn't feel like that cheap Samsung plastic." Ha. How do they sell so many of those things? Their day of reckoning is coming soon hopefully. 

  • Reply 10 of 83
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,221member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post



    Jong Kyun has sacrificed the 4 billion dollar gravy train that Apple has given them for what sounds like a Samsung chest thumping initiative. That's almost 9% of their total annual revenue. Multiple courts have already ruled in Apple's favor regarding intellectual property piracy and are paying damages. Let's see what the Samsung shareholders think of his action when Apple moves their entire 200 million unit, and growing, chip order to TSMC in 2014. Let's just say that Samsung doesn't need to worry about that plant expansion, and I'd be looking for the CEO's head on a stick.


    Actually, the only place Apple won in the world is in the US. They are losing everywhere else. And Samsung no longer needs Apple on its supply chain, its selling more phones than Apple with very good margins.   Its in fact in there best interest to cause them trouble on there supply chain.


     


    Apple should have move aways from Samsung when it started sueing them.  Pretty stupid from Apple imo.

  • Reply 11 of 83
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Following the announcement of a patent licensing agreement between Apple and HTC, an executive for Samsung has signaled that his company has no intention of agreeing to a similar deal.
    In a conversation with Korea's <em>Yonhap News Agency</em>, Shin Jong-kyun, the head of Samsung's mobile and IT division <a href="http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2012/11/14/10/0501000000AEN20121114007000320F.HTML">indicated that</a> his company doesn't intend to negotiate "at all." He indicated that Apple agreed to pay $276 million to Apple, but said his company would not pay of the iPhone maker to settle their ongoing litigation.
    .

    calling DR. TALLEST SKIL, calling DR. TALLEST SKIL... (to the editing desk, emergency editting required... LOL)

    , " ...Apple agreed to pay $276 million to Apple..."

    PROOFREAD!... apple is going to pay itself?
  • Reply 12 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    At least HTC tries to be innovative, that new phone they announced yesterday, at 440ppi...almost unbelievable. Best part of watching a few of the reviews...Within the first few seconds "this doesn't feel like that cheap Samsung plastic." Ha. How do they sell so many of those things? Their day of reckoning is coming soon hopefully. 

    This sort of thing benefits Apple because we'll have companies starting to market PPI but it's not needed (for most of the population) once you get to that "retina" rating. Apple's 326 PPI on the iPhone is great and they still use a quality display with a great color gamut, brightness, etc., and the graphics output is superb for playing games. I'm not sure how an Android or Windows Phone 8 device will function with a 1920x1280 display, but it's a safe bet Apple's products will have a better usability.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,976member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I doubt it. My guess is they'll think "Samsung must be innocent otherwise they would have settled."

    Not that I think they're innocent but the truth is they've won more than they've lost, so why would they settle?
  • Reply 14 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,278member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post


    My guess would be Apple may have calculated this type of response from Samsung hence the HTC settlement since HTC is not longer a threat. It just helps Apple out on court side.



    Does Apple sue/settle with other companies based on whether they're a threat or not? 

  • Reply 15 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Not that I think they're innocent but the truth is they've won more than they've lost, so why would they settle?

    With this I agree. If I were in Samsung's position (having only the info that I have now) settling would seem like the wrong move.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member


    If people are being honest with themselves, there is no question that Samsung copied Apple with regards to phones and tablets. Also being honest, Samsung is a high quality parts/chip supplier that Apple is having trouble finding a replacement for and may be partially responsible for some if the issues with ramping up production for some of Apple's present line of products.


     


    Trying to look at this objectively, it would seem that a settlement could be in the best interest of both companies. Litigation goes away. Samsung gets to build its phones and Apple gets maybe the best quality(or maybe I should say most reliable) parts/chips supplier that is out there right now.


     


    I don't know if this statement by Samsung is something to save face in light of the US court loss and billion dollar judgement and is another bargaining chip in trying to get a better deal from Apple(like their price hike on chips appears to be) or this is their actual policy. I guess time will tell. I was surprised that Apple and HTC came to an agreement. Maybe I will be surprised as well and see an Apple/Samsung settlement.

  • Reply 17 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nealg wrote: »
    If people are being honest with themselves, there is no question that Samsung copied Apple with regards to phones and tablets. Also being honest, Samsung is a high quality parts/chip supplier that Apple is having trouble finding a replacement for and may be partially responsible for some if the issues with ramping up production for some of Apple's present line of products.

    Trying to look at this objectively, it would seem that a settlement could be in the best interest of both companies. Litigation goes away. Samsung gets to build its phones and Apple gets maybe the best quality(or maybe I should say most reliable) parts/chips supplier that is out there right now.

    I don't know if this statement by Samsung is something to save face in light of the US court loss and billion dollar judgement and is another bargaining chip in trying to get a better deal from Apple(like their price hike on chips appears to be) or this is their actual policy. I guess time will tell. I was surprised that Apple and HTC came to an agreement. Maybe I will be surprised as well and see an Apple/Samsung settlement.

    I see your point but I lean heavily towards dasanman69's comment. Since these divisions at Samsung are very separate entities which hasn't been a problem through any of the current lawsuits and Samsung's current position in these suits if I were Samsung I'd just say "do your worst, Apple." Now, I think Samsung's position is unsustainable and they will end up being hurt in the end from stealing from Apple but that damage is done and Apple will continue to be more self reliant (or at less reliant on a single component vendor) regardless of what Samsung does now.
  • Reply 18 of 83

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    I see your point but I lean heavily towards dasanman69's comment. Since these divisions at Samsung are very separate entities which hasn't been a problem through any of the current lawsuits and Samsung's current position in these suits if I were Samsung I'd just say "do your worst, Apple." Now, I think Samsung's position is unsustainable and they will end up being hurt in the end from stealing from Apple but that damage is done and Apple will continue to be more self reliant (or at less reliant on a single component vendor) regardless of what Samsung does now.


     


    Samsung is not afraid of anything because this is essentially a company backed by the S Korea government. Samsung will never go under. Well, unless the US is willing to go far and stop trading with them anyway. 

  • Reply 19 of 83


    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

    Samsung is not afraid of anything because this is essentially a company backed by the S Korea government. Samsung will never go under. 


     


    The North invades, US remains isolationist, the South falls. 


     


    Or a US block of all sales of all Samsung products as a result of some Apple trial. Heck, the judge in the case that Apple won should be able to add whatever she wants to the ruling at any time for any reason, if the UK is any indication of how "law" works. 

  • Reply 20 of 83
    Disney also said at one point they would stop collaborating with Pixar, and began making CG animated features on their own.
Sign In or Register to comment.