Apple has talked with cable companies about 'new TV product,' but launch not imminent

Comments

• Reply 41 of 167
    Why don't they release a Apple TV with OTA ATSC input? So then, for news and live events, we can watch them over-the-air, and for the rest, we use Netflix.
  • Reply 42 of 167
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm not saying the iPad mini is supposed to. I'm saying it's following its competitors into its market without redefining it. ..

It seems like your definition of a "me-too" product is shifting from the first posts to this one.  image

I also don't think most people define it the way you seem to be doing. 

• Reply 43 of 167
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

(I realise that accounts for about 90% of the population down there, but still).  

Seems like a good time to resurrect this map.

• Reply 44 of 167
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

This report could be related to another rumor that involves Google. The Wall Street Journal reports that Dish Network and Google have been in talks about launching a new service.

"Google is just one of several companies that Dish has held talks with recently, and the discussions with other potential partners are also at an exploratory stage, said the people familiar with the discussions. It is unclear which other companies are discussing a potential partnership with Dish".

One of those "other potential partners" could be Apple.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424127887324735104578121553147711538-lMyQjAxMTAyMDEwNTExNDUyWj.html

• Reply 45 of 167

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I think you are setting too high standards.

I think people are settling for far too little.

To insist that there is only one true and worthwhile iPad (or any product) is to be a 'design reactionary'

Oh, no! I think larger iPads will do even better. I know it, in fact. I can already see it.

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I will give you the phone to a certain extent. However, Apple did retain the width.

Oh, I just mean the name there. I hadn't considered the screen… I suppose I'd consider that Apple doing the right thing; reinventing the idea of a larger-screened phone.

The iPad Mini, however, has been in the works since Jobs was still alive.

Well, yeah! In 2009 when they got back to work on their tablet, Apple tried every imaginable size for the thing. They chose 9.7" because everything else was crap or impossible (for one reason or another) at the time.

I wouldn't imagine they magically chose 9.7" straight off.

As for Apple's name, Jobs did work in an Apple orchard and there is nothing wrong with paying tribute to a band you love by naming your company after it's record label. There are tons of companies that share the same name. 

The newest iPhone's name. Sorry that was unclear. No problem with Apple's own name. 

• Reply 46 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

But Apple creating a STB is stupid from their HW esthetic, and their model is Internet delivery of all content.

I would be really excited if Apple established their own nationwide (USA) WiFi system in the urban areas that only allowed iDevices and was free. Problem solved.

• Reply 47 of 167
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It seems like your definition of a "me-too" product is shifting from the first posts to this one.  image

I also don't think most people define it the way you seem to be doing. 

Its a vague and imprecise definition at best. You could argue that the original iPad was a 'me too' product, a better one, perhaps, but tablets already existed, right? Apple saw tablets and thought, yeah, me too, only one that actually makes sense. 

And 'me too' is portrayed as a 'negative', but really it isn't. In Apple's case it is smart. They waited until the market was created and proven, and then they jumped in with a superior product. The key words here being 'superior product', which is contrary to what a 'me too' definition implies.

• Reply 48 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

actually, I think all of apple's history is 'you guys got it all wrong... here is how to do [personal computing|graphical computing|networked personal computing|personal music players|mobile computing on a phone|tablet computing].  

The key here is navigating and selecting your 'personal content' to be delivered to you via a large screen in your home.  They have the hardware (appleTV, iPad), for internet delivery of content... the question is do they want to be 'inline' for cable delivery (coax into the AppleTV).   My guess is they don't (way too complicated, and would make the AppleTV too big.  What they do want is a cloud repository for every cable and broadcast channel for content and live feeds (re: sports).  This aligns with their CDN, and also is the compromise for all other competitors (any network could swing a non-exclusive deal and let others get to their content as well).  Effectively they want cloud DVR.

I've noodled embedding this into a TV, and it doesn't make sense (too many cable co variables).  That is why I think this story is true, but really as a 'last chance' for the cable companies... I do think Apple is courting content creators to bypass cable and discussing with cable cos is purely a 'you had your chance' moment.

Brilliant! Best post. I think that is exactly what Apple is doing...Cloud DVR. I like it.

I was just trying to connect my old Egalto to my iMac and I hate the coax cables...I then had to connect a set top box (Cocks Cable's DVR) more coax cables, ugly designed set top box and a horrible remote,  ugh! I'm returning everything to Cocks, today. I want a TV with one power cable only coming out the back and my ATV connected with a HDMI. 

• Reply 49 of 167

Quote:

Oh, no! I think larger iPads will do even better. I know it, in fact. I can already see it.

I think you are old and need a new pair of glasses! Joking aside, personal computing history generally shows that small is beautiful. A larger iPad may sell well and be a flagship pro product, but I can't see commuters opening their broad sheet iPads to take in the latest financial news as they travel.Those days are gone.

• Reply 50 of 167

Quote:

...but I can't see commuters opening their broad sheet iPads to take in the latest financial news as they travel.Those days are gone.

Actually this is how you are supposed to fold your paper while commuting.

• Reply 51 of 167
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    You are claiming that the name, a name which defines the product (because some names don't; Apple's iDevice names specifically do), does not have to apply to the product in any actual capacity. This is what you're saying! And that's why I still fight it! 

Schiller needs to be asked! No one in the media would do it because they're the idiots that perpetrated this crap in the first place, but he needs to be asked, "What of this new iPhone makes it '5'?" 

If a name that is supposed to describe the product it names does not do this for the sole purpose of bowing to media- or rumormongering, you can't say there isn't something wrong.

I'm just glad there is someone to protect me from windmills.
  • Reply 52 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Actually this is how you are supposed to fold your paper while commuting.

Yes, and very nice, too. But as I am sure you are aware. Flipping sections or turning pages can be a major undertaking that frequently ends in disaster. Oh, and that tube / subway / metro carriage is positively empty. Try again at 5pm...;)

• Reply 53 of 167

Quote:

Yes, and very nice, too. But as I am sure you are aware. Flipping sections or turning pages can be a major undertaking that frequently ends in disaster. Oh, and that tube / subway / metro carriage is positively empty. Try again at 5pm...;)

Yes but as you can see, the ideal width is approximately the size of the iPad mini.

• Reply 54 of 167

…personal computing history generally shows that small is beautiful.

That's why the iPhone nano sold so well when Apple launched it in 2008. ????

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Is… this some sort of insult based on me being a little Dutch boy? image

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes but as you can see, the ideal width is approximately the size of the iPad mini.

If your image is any indication, the iPad is the "ideal" width. 

• Reply 55 of 167

Quote:

Either one perhaps somewhere in between however my iPad 3 just feels too bulky and a tad heavy for that scenario. Totally looking forward to my mini. I really don't understand your objection to it when so many people want it. 

• Reply 56 of 167

Quote:

If we base it on a standard broad sheet the ideal width of an iPad is approx 23". A tabloid is 11 x 16 - ish, so perhaps the new maxi Pad needs to be 11x16 if we can convince the gentry to stoop to the tabloid format (I doubt it). If not Apple may have to introduce the iPad BS  (approx 29" x 23"). Perhaps it could be hinged at 14.5" for easier folding (with a nice 'crinkle' sound effect)

• Reply 57 of 167
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    quinney wrote: »

Is… this some sort of insult based on me being a little Dutch boy? :lol:

Are you a little Dutch boy? I thought you might be the man from la Maca.
  • Reply 58 of 167
    gazoobee wrote: »
    What?  What a load of nonsense.  The iPod is a "me too" product?  

Then you sing the praises of Boxee, which is a classic "me-too" product itself.  WTF?

I don't see anything wrong with a "me too" product especially when it's vastly superior to what preceded it.
  • Reply 59 of 167
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

I also don't see why Apple doesn't go the route of boxes like Roku and even Google TV. Create an App Store for the Apple TV. Content providers will create channels. Further, add email, messaging, and web browsing apps. Apple's strength is the interface design, but other companies products offer more features for less money. 

• Reply 60 of 167

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Create an App Store for the Apple TV. Content providers will create channels.

Love this idea!

Further, add email, messaging, and web browsing apps.

Hate this idea. The Channel Store shouldn't be for anything but content providers, be it entire traditional channels or individual shows. This stuff is already handled by AirPlay from any Mac or iDevice, and I think that's where it should stay. People really don't want to browse the web on their TV, much less try to e-mail from it.