Apple has talked with cable companies about 'new TV product,' but launch not imminent

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 167

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The thing is that there is already many paid (and cheaper) alternatives that people are already using and accustomed to.

There are paid alternatives to viewing all television shows and news, live, on demand, and offers purchasing thereafter?

• Reply 162 of 167
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Oh, aren't they? All right; kick it down further, then. But we're talking 1080p episodes here. I guess the goal would be to get them the same price as the physical copies.

I missed the resolution. It might be workable.
  • Reply 163 of 167
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    There are paid alternatives to viewing all television shows and news, live, on demand, and offers purchasing thereafter?

Not all shows across all networks, but that has been getting better. I get most of my news over the net. Hulu plus does a great job for on demand and Amazon does too plus purchasing options. Roku just unveiled a unified search that will look across multiple channel for whatever shows you want. I looked for a show the other day and it was for purchase at Amazon and free on Hulu. Apple is falling behind with each passing day. I'm sure many Apple TVs get returned when people realize that there's no HBO GO and and one has to use Airplay to watch Hulu plus.
  • Reply 164 of 167
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Not all shows across all networks, but that has been getting better. I get most of my news over the net. Hulu plus does a great job for on demand and Amazon does too plus purchasing options. Roku just unveiled a unified search that will look across multiple channel for whatever shows you want. I looked for a show the other day and it was for purchase at Amazon and free on Hulu. Apple is falling behind with each passing day. I'm sure many Apple TVs get returned when people realize that there's no HBO GO and and one has to use Airplay to watch Hulu plus.

I think that information is about six months out of date:
    http://blog.hulu.com/2012/07/31/hulu-plus-arrives-on-apple-tv/
  • Reply 165 of 167
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I think that information is about six months out of date:
    http://blog.hulu.com/2012/07/31/hulu-plus-arrives-on-apple-tv/

I stand corrected. Thanks
  • Reply 166 of 167

I wish Apple TV would allow content that isn't in mp4 format to be played. I download all my movies in mkv and avi format, so I'm not going to waste my time converting those just to play through Apple TV. I can watch all my shows as is via the Roku and Plex.

• Reply 167 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cylack wrote: »
    I wish Apple TV would allow content that isn't in mp4 format to be played. I download all my movies in mkv and avi format, so I'm not going to waste my time converting those just to play through Apple TV. I can watch all my shows as is via the Roku and Plex.

MP4 isn't a format, it's container. The AppleTV supports multiple containers and codecs. MKV is a common container for illegally downloaded HD content that uses the H.264(x264) codec. AVI is a container for the DivX-based codec that is very, very, very archaic. It's amazing AVIs are still around when modern devices have HW decoding of H.264 built in. Even Handbrake, a great open-source app, dropped supporting AVI a couple years ago because it's just that out of date.

Earlier this year the groups that record and upload TV shows finally switched from AVI to MP4. It was a hoot to read the complains about how their DVD player can read AVI/DivX which is meant they could no longer DL a video as an AVI, burn it to CD or SL-DVD and then play in their DVD player on their TV. That just sounds like an insane way to get video to your TV in the 2010s. Why they wouldn't just get a cheap Roku or Plex is beyond me.