Apple has talked with cable companies about 'new TV product,' but launch not imminent

Comments

• Reply 121 of 167

Originally Posted by twistedarts View Post

sorry bud, we know what he "publicly said". Which has no bearing on the reality of the situation.

1.) public comments are just that, so much smoke. 

So Apple is lying when they say they sold three million iPads in three days. And when they say they settled the patent dispute with HTC. And when they say Steve Jobs resigns as CEO. And when they say they announced the iPhone 5. And when they say they announced the iPad mini.

I'm literally just pulling titles from their PR page. These have no bearing on reality and are smoke, according to you.

Originally Posted by nht View Post

/s

We're weeks out. You cannot possibly say this. 

• Reply 122 of 167
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    So Apple is lying when they say they sold three million iPads in three days. And when they say they settled the patent dispute with HTC. And when they say Steve Jobs resigns as CEO. And when they say they announced the iPhone 5. And when they say they announced the iPad mini.

I'm literally just pulling titles from their PR page. These have no bearing on reality and are smoke, according to you.

We're weeks out. You cannot possibly say this. 

It's only lies when they're convenient. What's funny is that people say SJ lied to misdirect the competition yet he was asked about the 7" tablet because that's exactly what the competition was already doing.
  • Reply 123 of 167
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's only lies when they're convenient. What's funny is that people say SJ lied to misdirect the competition yet he was asked about the 7" tablet because that's exactly what the competition was already doing.

No, he told the truth about 7" tablets, but did not reveal ("covered up" would probably be more your phrase) that they were more impressed with an 8" iPad. He was steering buyers and jounalists away from 7-inchers, and the competition away from the 8-inch truth.

No lying was involved.
  • Reply 124 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Have they really failed? While they not selling as well as iPads they are being purchased in decent amounts.

It's been 2 years since Jobs made that comment. Which of those 7" tablets are selling in decent amounts? HP Slate? Nope. RiM PlayBook? Nope.
  • Reply 125 of 167
    Love this idea!

Hate this idea. The Channel Store
    Unnecessary idea. iTunes already has individual shows. Sure the timing, pricing etc needs work but the beginnings are there.

As for Channels, if they were to open up the Apple TV to user selected apps within select categories then ABC etc could release an app and set up their own service akin to Netflix/Hulu right out of the existing App Store. No need for a new division
  • Reply 126 of 167
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's been 2 years since Jobs made that comment. Which of those 7" tablets are selling in decent amounts? HP Slate? Nope. RiM PlayBook? Nope.

Oh those 2, then yes DOA lol
  • Reply 127 of 167
    charlituna wrote: »
    Unnecessary idea. iTunes already has individual shows. Sure the timing, pricing etc needs work but the beginnings are there.
    As for Channels, if they were to open up the Apple TV to user selected apps within select categories then ABC etc could release an app and set up their own service akin to Netflix/Hulu right out of the existing App Store. No need for a new division

You gotta remember Hulu is already a NBC/FOX/ABC app.
  • Reply 128 of 167
    flaneur wrote: »
    No, he told the truth about 7" tablets, but did not reveal ("covered up" would probably be more your phrase) that they were more impressed with an 8" iPad. He was steering buyers and jounalists away from 7-inchers, and the competition away from the 8-inch truth.
    No lying was involved.

I don't believe that for a second.
  • Reply 129 of 167
    I don't believe that for a second.

Belief or disbelief not an option. I stated the facts of the situation: what was going on, what happened, what he said. If you find the facts unacceptable, then present your alternate-universe view.
  • Reply 130 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

uh I think you missed the point of what I was referring to. basically that he said they would not do the small tablet all the while perfecting their version of it.  

• Reply 131 of 167
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    charlituna wrote: »

All the iTunes shows are purchase only though.

I would be against channels, virtual or nonlinear because that still ties shows together in bundles.

solipsismx wrote: »

Maybe Fire, but Amazon isn't saying how many they sell, so it's hard to say. It's possible that mini sold more in a weekend than several competitors combined in the last year.
  • Reply 132 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I'd go along with you on the new definition of tablet, but I'd say that the new mini palm device is the real Pad, and the old 10-incher is the Tablet.

Anyway, holding the computer in one hand—one you can read on— is a fundamentally new experience, and should be recognized as a separate device category. If the medium is the message, the package is the experience.

Brilliant. agreed.

• Reply 133 of 167
    flaneur wrote: »
    Belief or disbelief not an option. I stated the facts of the situation: what was going on, what happened, what he said. If you find the facts unacceptable, then present your alternate-universe view.

I believe SJ felt a certain way while others at Apple felt differently, Eddy Cue's email is proof of that. Plans for the iPad mini were probably set in motion after SJ's departure.
  • Reply 134 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Maybe Fire, but Amazon isn't saying how many they sell, so it's hard to say. It's possible that mini sold more in a weekend than several competitors combined in the last year.

The Fire didn't exist when Steve Jobs made the qualified comment referred to current 7" tablets being DOA. I felt it was a clear sign that Apple was looking into smaller tablets when he restricted his comment about 7" tablets to refer to the current ones.
  • Reply 135 of 167
    uh I think you missed the point of what I was referring to. basically that he said they would not do the small tablet all the while perfecting their version of it.  

Of course he missed the point that it's only a lie when it's convenient for you. One lie begets another and another, when do we know when it's a lie and when it isn't?
  • Reply 136 of 167
    I believe SJ felt a certain way while others at Apple felt differently, Eddy Cue's email is proof of that. Plans for the iPad mini were probably set in motion after SJ's departure.

Looking over the timing of Jobs's comments and Cue's email, it looks like you could be right. I've compressed the events in my memory, thinking they'd need much more than a year to get a new design like the mini out.

It seems they did it in about a year and a half, if they didn't start on it until after Cue's Jan. 2011 email.
  • Reply 137 of 167
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    Looking at the iPad Mini issue, it is sufficiently close to 8 " to make it [I]not[/I] a 7 " device. As JeffDM remarked above, it rather fits into a "Goldilocks zone" - which could be said to be defining [I]new[/I] category within tablets.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any recorded comment of SJ's regarding 8 " tablets - and I don't think that's splitting hairs.

On the other hand it's possible that the uses - new or existing - to which the iPad Mini is put, could define whether it is in another category than just '8 " tablet' (but that's pure speculation on my part).
  • Reply 138 of 167

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yes, but they don't have simultaneous-with-broadcast download, day-of shows. The show should actually start to download a few minutes before it's available to be played, that way you can automatically play it (on your Apple TV or wherever!) exactly when it's on TV.

That, I think, is a feature worthy of the Apple name.

Then why did you say the point was that nothing Apple says publicly can be trusted?

• Reply 139 of 167
    Yes, but they don't have simultaneous-with-broadcast download, day-of shows. The show should actually start to download a few minutes before it's available to be played, that way you can automatically play it (on your Apple TV or wherever!) exactly when it's on TV.

That, I think, is a feature worthy of the Apple name.

Then why did you say the point was that nothing Apple says publicly can be trusted?

Why not just watch it when it's being broadcast on TV? The closest thing to your suggestion is on HBO GO, shows are available for viewing after its broadcast, which has me curious. Can someone in California (west coast) watch Boardwalk Empire on HBO GO once it's broadcast in New York (east coast) 2 hours before it's broadcast in their time zone?
  • Reply 140 of 167

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why not just watch it when it's being broadcast on TV?

The idea is to not pay however much per month for hundreds of channels you couldn't care less about and instead have only exactly the shows you want, no watermarks, no ads, and actual ownership thereof, available at any time, viewable anywhere, and freely redownloadable.