iPhone 5 doubles Apple's share of US smartphone sales to surpass Android

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Case redesign, new port, new telephony, new CPU…

And all that's before we get into how all the changes were achieved. I'm always amazed how people on this and other tech sites will only look at the most superficial specs without looking at other specs or what it took to achieve the finished product.

For instance, noting it's thinner but not noting that they used in-cell tech to help make it thinner. Instead people just look at resolution or PPI then claim it's not enough because x device is now slightly higher (3 generations after the iPhone 4 launched) as if increasing that slightly YoY makes sense.

Then you have the performance of the device increasing, which is something that is an issue with the phones and tablets trying to best Apple on the single resolution or PPI spec. Apple has better color accuracy, performance, and battery life all within a very small package that feels and works great... yet that's not enough because it's not some radical YoY change to completely dump the foundation they built so well back in 2007. They all want some Windows 8 revolution... and yet I guarantee they really don't want that.
  • Reply 82 of 114
    solipsismx wrote: »
    No, the 4th gen iPhone didn't have LTE.

Not sure if you cant read or are just repeating what I said...
  • Reply 83 of 114
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tonyz wrote: »
    Not sure if you cant read or are just repeating what I said...

"Other phones in the iPhone 4 gen had LTE..."

There is only one iPhone 'in' the 4 gen. That was called the iPhone 4 and it did not have LTE.

If you wanted to write "there were other phones in 2010 when the iPhone 4 was released that had LTE" then you should have written that, but you made the subject the iPhone 4, nothing else.

Regardless, your logic is flawed. The LTE in the iPhone 5 is not he same as the LTE that was available back in 2010, which is why Apple didn't use it. In fact, no vendor used LTE in smartphones as small as the iPhone back in 2010. You're talking about 1st generation LTE. Large and power hungry chips. 2nd generation LTE was better but not nearly good enough. It wasn't until the 3rd gen LTE chips (2nd gen Qualcomm Gobi) that we finally see LTE come into its own and in a remarkable presentation where 3G and 4G get about the same battery life.

Note the original iPhone didn't have 3G and Apple was wise not include it despite people like you claiming that because it exists in some form in other devices that Apple should have included it anyway. Not the iPhone 3G battery life compared to the original iPhone over on AnandTech's site.
  • Reply 84 of 114
    They all want some Windows 8 revolution... and yet I guarantee they really don't want that.

Your right there... I've tried a WP8 (for a couple weeks) and its not the all mighty shiznit.But I'm damn willing to give an android phone a go before I resign my self to the same ole stuff Ive had for years.
  • Reply 85 of 114
    "Other phones in the iPhone 4 gen had LTE..."
    There is only one iPhone 'in' the 4 gen. That was called the iPhone 4 and it did not have LTE.

You know what I meant, quit being a tard... ie phones being released around the same time as the iPhone 4/s.
  • Reply 86 of 114
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    jason98 wrote: »
    So Tim Cook's promise last year to "fix" Europe failed epically.
    I guess Europe needs a cheep cutting edge phone (not a 1 or 2 year old models)
    I believe s3 is sold around $350 unsubsidized there and that's almost 50% difference for people living in the economically struggling countries.

Here in CDA Samsung was giving away, for no down payment, their S3 just before it officially came out. Then the price was similar to the iPhone4S price until the iPhone5 came out. Now I see the S3 is a give away again.
    Not nice to buy the S3, then next week a friend gets it for $160 less!
    The full Unsubsidized price varies significantly here as well, obviously to occasionally sell off piling up stock.
    Anyone who buys a sPhone outright here has rocks in their head anyway. They still pay the same monthly service fee as those who only paid the down payment.
  • Reply 87 of 114
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    rob53 wrote: »
    No offense to Europeans but all I really care about are US results so iPhone is on top. All those statistics about Android blowing away iPhone include a ton of throwaway Android phones in Europe and elsewhere. Apple doesn't make throwaway products and never will. If Android wants that market, it's fine with me.

You are quite correct about the throw away android phones. A friend of ours got a new earlier Samsung which she thought was a much better deal than an iPhone. I won't bother going into the details, except to say it wasn't any cheaper in the long run and was an earlier android with no available update to the current. Well she still likes the lower cost long distance, but now realizes the "give away no contract" not so smart phone, will cost dearly to get out of the hidden "contract". I'm sure when she dumps it an iPhone is in her future.
  • Reply 88 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

So Tim Cook's promise last year to "fix" Europe failed epically.

I guess Europe needs a cheep cutting edge phone (not a 1 or 2 year old models)

I believe s3 is sold around $350 unsubsidized there and that's almost 50% difference for people living in the economically struggling countries.

eh?  The Galaxy S3 Mini is listed for £298.80 in the UK.  You do realize that £350 is roughly equal to $600 USD - the US price of the GS3 without contract?

• Reply 89 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

People in China think I'm rich because I have an iPhone. They are very surprised when I tell them that in the U.S. whether you get an iPhone or another smartphone, it's basically the same price. In most of the world, if you want an iPhone, you're going to be ponying up a lot more than for your genetic Android device.

How many Americans would buy an iPhone for $700 if they could get a different phone for $200 or $300?

Furthermore, most US carriers offer higher subsidies for Apple iPhones ($450+) vs. Android (Galaxy S3 - $320) or even Windows (Lumia - $300) - or typically less than $350.

• Reply 90 of 114
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I had forgotten... Apple doesn't care about sales.

The damn thing about this is that for every Android phone sold an iPhone is not sold and in parts of Europe it looks like Apple is approaching zero sales. Do you really think that Tim Cook doesn't give a shit about this.

Apparently you can't read. Apple actually increased share in 4 out of the five major countries in the survey. Crawl back into your hole. You obviously can't get a good education living on an island.

• Reply 91 of 114
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

Are you kidding?

Yes he is.

At least 425€ (550$) for the UMTS version, 494€ (639$) for the LTE version.
    Both including 19% VAT.

Iphone 4 = 399€ (516$),
    Iphone 4S = 579€ (749$),
    Iphone 5 = 679€ (878$),

all with 16GB.

BTW: I hate the new forum style. It's stupid and it's not even beta.
  • Reply 92 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyZ View Post

Your right there... I've tried a WP8 (for a couple weeks) and its not the all mighty shiznit.But I'm damn willing to give an android phone a go before I resign my self to the same ole stuff Ive had for years.

Well I feel differently about this....my wife and I have had iPhone 4's since they came out. To this point, the best phone I have ever owned! But frankly, IOS is looking stale. It is still functional but I guess I'm just bored with it. Also the iPhone 5 (while certainly a very good phone) lost my interest when all they did to the screen was stretch it. (basically, I know there are other technical differences) I would love an iPhone with a 4.5 or so inch screen and an updated look to the OS. However, Apple did not deliver that. So, after much gnashing of teeth I have decided to give a WP8 phone a try. While I love the look of the HTC 8X vs the Lumia 920, it just doesn't seem to be as tough of a phone. Also the onboard 32 GB standard memory of the Lumia trounces the 16GB of the HTC. (available) The camera in the Lumia is also very good and the Nokia apps are actually useful. Yes WP8 doesn't have every app iOS or andriod has, but it does have 95% of the ones I actually need. The OS is quite fluid and I actually like the tile approach to the main screen. Only on day 4 with this Lumia but so far so good. No crashes at all and I have installed at least 25 new apps that did not come with the phone. I have to say I like it. Also the way overblown weight issue is a non factor for me. I really though it might bother me but it does not. Wireless charging, a great screen, and the OS have sold me on it so far. If Apple ever makes another "larger" version of the iPhone I certainly would consider going back, but for now it is WP8 for me. Apple lost two customers (for the phone not other products!) this past weekend mainly because of their refusal to give people more options on screen size. One size does NOT fit all.

• Reply 93 of 114
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Apple has a much stronger retail presence in the US than in Europe, so it only makes sense for it to be doing much better here. Controlling the retail experience is essential, because in Europe Apple has to compete with spiffs whereby the hardware companies pay reps to push a certain product. Apple used to have the same problem in the US when trying to sell Macs against PCs whose makers also offered spiffs to sales people. 

• Reply 94 of 114
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Well I feel differently about this....my wife and I have had iPhone 4's since they came out. To this point, the best phone I have ever owned! But frankly, IOS is looking stale. It is still functional but I guess I'm just bored with it. Also the iPhone 5 (while certainly a very good phone) lost my interest when all they did to the screen was stretch it. (basically, I know there are other technical differences) I would love an iPhone with a 4.5 or so inch screen and an updated look to the OS. However, Apple did not deliver that. So, after much gnashing of teeth I have decided to give a WP8 phone a try. While I love the look of the HTC 8X vs the Lumia 920, it just doesn't seem to be as tough of a phone. Also the onboard 32 GB standard memory of the Lumia trounces the 16GB of the HTC. (available) The camera in the Lumia is also very good and the Nokia apps are actually useful. Yes WP8 doesn't have every app iOS or andriod has, but it does have 95% of the ones I actually need. The OS is quite fluid and I actually like the tile approach to the main screen. Only on day 4 with this Lumia but so far so good. No crashes at all and I have installed at least 25 new apps that did not come with the phone. I have to say I like it. Also the way overblown weight issue is a non factor for me. I really though it might bother me but it does not. Wireless charging, a great screen, and the OS have sold me on it so far. If Apple ever makes another "larger" version of the iPhone I certainly would consider going back, but for now it is WP8 for me. Apple lost two customers (for the phone not other products!) this past weekend mainly because of their refusal to give people more options on screen size. One size does NOT fit all.

To each their own and I would have gone Windows 8 over Android, but the iPhone 5 is a phenomenal phone. I was shocked when I fist picked it up. Setting aside the beauty of the phone, not only is the screen bigger, it feels like a feather, and it is super fast. Moreover, iOS might seem boring (I agree soft of), but I wonder how you are going to feel when Microsoft does its normal move of not timely updating the software or not updating it all. Apple's improvements aren't flashy, but almost every iPhone model Apple has released benefit to some extent from the latest iOS release. You will certainly feel bored when your phone doesn't get the latest iOS before your contract runs out. Moreover, refinements as opposed to drastic makeovers keep the OS more stable. 

With all that said, Apple could make the OS seem fresh without even radically altering it just by allowing people more customization over the way icons are displayed. For instance, like on OSX let us make the desktop icons the size we desire. I suspect the OS will get a make over when Ive's mark is felt on the OS. 

• Reply 95 of 114
    fazzter wrote: »

I see your point IOS on the iPhone 5 is great,yet as apple went and said there developers are doing, not just stretching it but redesigning it lets first start with lock screen, It's OK, yet there when charging, The battery Icon could be pointing up, not sideways thus bigger so more useful then pass code entering they could have something in the empty space now seen. Calendar they could now make it month and day both in short/wide mode. Photos they could do it in the opposite mode of photograph taken half photo, half photos list(no editing features). Camera does it bother anyone else same photos, so if they keep that do the controls always shown on no photo parts. Weather App is improved. Now this is always now they have a wider screen why not instead of just making it wider, have like ipad split keyboard pull it a numerical keypad on side as with just 2 keyboards, instead of 3. Reminders put them all on screen at same time, no labels combined. Then when opened display type, one + with editable type. Clock stopwatch/ timer both on one timed section. Stocks you have two opened at same time when center clicked open up half screen scrolling. On phone app sideways mode where it is keypad texting like. Obviously full screen mode is for iPhone on safari. Music app cover flow on top 1/4 of screen. Calculator is scientific tall narrow mode,yet two page graphing sideways. Compass has types always on the screen. Multitasking gains height (just a thought) With that volume brighten controls and switch Small screen IOS and large screen for complainers(I might switch once in a while) hopefully mostly on IOS 7, One year might give time to work with it.
  • Reply 96 of 114
    So three IPhones sold est. equals thousands of Android OS. Maybe Apple might just conquer Android for Better price points( selling current 3GS No contract for $300 then 4 at it then 4 at $200 no contract then $100 somewhere between $100 and $30 apple would sell it.
  • Reply 97 of 114
    So three IPhones sold est. equals thousands of Android OS. Maybe Apple might just conquer Android for Better price points( selling current 3GS No contract for $300 then 4 at it then 4 at $200 no contract then $100 somewhere between $100 and $30 apple would sell it. Then go more carriers so if If someone wants a IPhone nearly any U.S City two carriers of that city, at max price lets say $80 goal $50 wondering contract or not there you have it whole world for IPhone at 80%+ market, Apple might should go for everyone.
  • Reply 98 of 114
    So three IPhones sold est. equals thousands of Android OS. Maybe Apple might just conquer Android for Better price points( selling current 3GS No contract for $300 then 4 at it then 4 at $200 no contract then $100 somewhere between $100 and $30 apple would sell it.

Wonder why it did a half post then full?
  • Reply 99 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Apple lost two customers (for the phone not other products!) this past weekend mainly because of their refusal to give people more options on screen size. One size does NOT fit all.

And Apple has no illusions to the contrary. Their strategy isn't based on being all things to all people, and they  know they could never have 100% of any market. Steve Jobs once said at All Things D that he was just as proud of all of the things Apple chose not to make as the things they did make. Apple is also aware that customers come and go. But that's like breathing air for a company: air molecules come and go. Some are noisier than others.

• Reply 100 of 114

I live in Italy, many people would like to buy an iPhone... but there aren't... i'm waiting mine for over a month and still not received... 

SIII, on the other hand, are taking dust on the shelves, even if they are making aggressive marketing (buy a Scamsung tv and have a SIII free, buy a SIII and have a craplet or another phone for free...).