iPhone 5 doubles Apple's share of US smartphone sales to surpass Android

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 114

Why is it that Americans seem to think that there are no other people in the world?  The US is the only place where iPhone has surged ahead in sale and all the iPhone fanatics are marching through the streets like Toronto won the Stanley Cup.   Do you not realize that the entire population of the US only represents 5% of the world (I'm rounding slightly here)?   Do they not teach geography in school anymore?

• Reply 102 of 114
    Why is it that Americans seem to think that there are no other people in the world?  The US is the only place where iPhone has surged ahead in sale and all the iPhone fanatics are marching through the streets like Toronto won the Stanley Cup.   Do you not realize that the entire population of the US only represents 5% of the world (I'm rounding slightly here)?   Do they not teach geography in school anymore?

(You sound condescending) I believe this is due to their US marketshare to be around 50%, but I could be off by *%.
  • Reply 103 of 114
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Germans - They like to be able to tinker with the innards of their stuff, They like to control everything so getting Android fits in with their anal retentive mindset, no big deal
  • Reply 104 of 114
    @allenbf

Well you better be ready for a downturn in Apple sales soon as the U.S. is going the same path as Europe, and soon, we won't have the money to spend on higher end, better quality gear. Many in this country will be lucky to get a cheap Android 3-4 years from now.

• Reply 105 of 114

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Well you better be ready for a downturn in Apple sales soon as the U.S. is going the same path as Europe, and soon, we won't have the money to spend on higher end, better quality gear. Many in this country will be lucky to get a cheap Android 3-4 years from now.

I want to ask why, but that takes the thread in the absolutely wrong direction, so I won't.

I'll simply say that, while rapid changes can blindside us in the future, it's a little unreasonable (paranoid?) to expect collapse.

• Reply 106 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Apple isn't willing to walk the extra step to work with carriers…

BZZT. Nope. You don't have subsidized phones because… that's the carriers' choice. It's ALL on them. The phones are unlocked because your laws require it. There's nothing preventing carriers from subsidizing.

Nothing except economics. You seem to forget that the carriers are accountable to their shareholders. It is not their purpose in business to make profits for apple.  The whole idea of "subsidized" phones is shit. Do the math. You pay MORE for the "subsidized" phone because they are always bound to a contract. Does apple give the toys free of charge to the carriers ? Of course not. Why the F* should a carrier subsidize when the margin doesn't allow them to make a profit?

• Reply 107 of 114

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

You pay MORE for the "subsidized" phone because they are always bound to a contract.

Uh huh… and? They don't have to be, but and?

Why the F* should a carrier subsidize when the margin doesn't allow them to make a profit?

Because it does…

• Reply 108 of 114

Quote:

You pay MORE for the "subsidized" phone because they are always bound to a contract.

Uh huh… and? They don't have to be, but and?

Why the F* should a carrier subsidize when the margin doesn't allow them to make a profit?

Because it does…

crap. Prove it.

• Reply 109 of 114

crap. Prove it.

All right, how much is a PAYG plan where you are? On average.

Additionally, how much is a regular plan where you are?

• Reply 110 of 114

Quote:

crap. Prove it.

All right, how much is a PAYG plan where you are? On average.

Additionally, how much is a regular plan where you are?

No, I'm not going to do your homework for you.

Try this:

(Sprint expectst to make a loss for at least 2 years on the deal)

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/05/sprint_confirms_unlimited_data_plans_for_iphone_subscribers.html

and this:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/21/t-mobile-deems-apple-partnership-too-costly-despite-15m-unlocked-iphones-on-network

Or go to Tomi Ahonen's site and check it out for yourself.

• Reply 111 of 114

And I'm not going to reveal where you are without your say-so.

So you get to remain wrong, then.

• Reply 112 of 114

Yes I understand your points and mostly agree. But the screen is still a bit small for my taste (and eyes). Improved, but not enough for myself. iPhone 5 is an amazing phone in many ways. As far as the updates from M$ it is a concern, but it seems that M$ is really pushing for marketshare and I am hoping they will follow up in a more timely fashion. Apple is very good about updating IOS, but it has been my experience that some key features get left out for those on the trailing edge (older iPhones) even if they are capable of running something. Like our iPhone 4's for example. We lost You tube, Lost google maps, still did not get SIRI, were not included in cellular facetime, etc. My wife upgraded to IOS 6 but I waited to get the scoop on it. In the end I did not upgrade, because most of the changes to the iPhone 4 were a downgrade IMO! My wife was mad as hell when she realized the you tube and google maps were gone. Not only that but she did not have her phone jailbroken (like I did) so could not "upgrade" back to IOS 5! I think it is ridiculous that Apple will not let you downgrade to a previous OS. Not only that if I had installed IOS 6 it would have likely destroyed some of the bluetooth functionality with my car stereo. There were many complaints in the Pioneer forums about IOS6. So while I appreciate Apple's updates to IOS, frankly, they aren't always that useful, especially if your phone is not the last gen. 

However, I am still evaluating this Lumia 920 and have more time to make a final decision on keeping it for awhile. Of course I will be watching eagerly for any news of (gasp) iPhone 6, or whatever they call the next big updated version of iPhone. I will come back if they give me what I need.

Curtis, I lost the point of your reply after the tenth line or so. Maybe try again?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

To each their own and I would have gone Windows 8 over Android, but the iPhone 5 is a phenomenal phone. I was shocked when I fist picked it up. Setting aside the beauty of the phone, not only is the screen bigger, it feels like a feather, and it is super fast. Moreover, iOS might seem boring (I agree soft of), but I wonder how you are going to feel when Microsoft does its normal move of not timely updating the software or not updating it all. Apple's improvements aren't flashy, but almost every iPhone model Apple has released benefit to some extent from the latest iOS release. You will certainly feel bored when your phone doesn't get the latest iOS before your contract runs out. Moreover, refinements as opposed to drastic makeovers keep the OS more stable. 

With all that said, Apple could make the OS seem fresh without even radically altering it just by allowing people more customization over the way icons are displayed. For instance, like on OSX let us make the desktop icons the size we desire. I suspect the OS will get a make over when Ive's mark is felt on the OS. 

• Reply 113 of 114

Quote:

And I'm not going to reveal where you are without your say-so.

So you get to remain wrong, then.

Crap. You're a bad loser. Lack of integrity again. 

• Reply 114 of 114

Spain, Greece, France, Ireland and more are facing great monetary difficulties and almost collapsed economies. It not a surprise that they'd be buying the cheapest phone that they can at this point. Samsung is not tie largest seller of Android phones in many of those areas also. The Chinese have produced very cheap Android phones that are more affordable and in demand for much of that area of the world.