Some new iMacs marked as being 'Assembled in USA'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79

This isn't something new.  I've noticed iMacs coming with the Assembled in USA moniker for at least a year.  It's only some batches though.

• Reply 23 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jojade View Post

This isn't something new.  I've noticed iMacs coming with the Assembled in USA moniker for at least a year.  It's only some batches though.

Usually, those are the custom ones - e.g. higher capacity drives, more RAM, etc.

• Reply 24 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Your hypothetical scenario is unrealistic. I don't believe there would be a difference of $500 in the cost of manufacture between the two countries.

What? Do you think it should be more then $500. Or do you mean it should be less? It doesn't matter to me which answer you give because you're pulling that guess right out of your ass. image

• Reply 25 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

What? Do you think it should be more then $500. Or do you mean it should be less? It doesn't matter to me which answer you give because you're pulling that guess right out of your ass. image

A Xerox 6600YDN printer, the Buy American version, is $672. The comparable China made 6600DN is $550. That's a 22% premium. For a $1800 iMac, that would work out to be $2200.

• Reply 26 of 79
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Even if it costs 22% more to make in the US, that only translates to a 22% more expensive product if 100% are made in the US. If 25% are made in the US and 75% elsewhere, it's only 6% more expensive for the consumer.

i.e. use the 3rd world workers to subsidise 1st world workers. Lol, I wonder what the morality of that one is...
  • Reply 27 of 79
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Designed in California. Assembled in USA. Copied in South Korea¡

andysol wrote: »
    Pretty funny to see AI put in quotes "Assembled in America" and the picture right underneath says "Assembled in USA". Good ol' AI...

Ironic, isn't it?
    notrichard wrote: »
    My guess would be that their new "friction-stir welding" technology involved in the assembly of the new iMacs may be something they aren't allowed to export, or perhaps were requested NOT to export, to China.

Indeed, this friction welding thing, somehow I think that could be a reason for it. Not that China couldn't do that (not all iMacs are Assembled in USA, but maybe China couldn't handle the amount, and there are plants in the US that can do this as well.

That must mean that the whole packaging is done in the US as well.
    konqerror wrote: »
    A Xerox 6600YDN printer, the Buy American version, is $672. The comparable China made 6600DN is $550. That's a 22% premium. For a $1800 iMac, that would work out to be $2200.

That percentage does sound feasible.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    sflocal wrote: »
    It will NOT happen.
    To clarify, let's play "Choose your country of Origin".
    Apple advertises their brand new iMac.
    $1,799.00 - Made in China
    $2,299.00 - Made in USA.
    Same exact machine and specs. Understand that the $500 difference is probably optimistic and would most likely be more.
    Which one are you going to buy?
    If you pick the Chinese model, you're being honest. If you pick the US model, well then you're lying.
    That's the reality. Steve Jobs was right when he told Obama that those jobs are not coming back.

There are equivalent manufacturing strategies just as you illustrate with some well respected , famous high end guitar makers. The purchaser has the option of US built, Mexican or Indonesian in most cases, at three diffent price points. Those made in the USA carry not only a hefty price premium but also a prestige value and are definitely considered of higher quality in the eyes of the afficianados and pundits alike. I'm pretty sure the sales of the high end products made in the USA are doing well.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 230member

Time and time again I see a US-centric debate on this. Not all orders, are for US customers. So this theory of saving shipping costs only works if you're talking about US customers.

• Reply 30 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    wdowell wrote: »
    Time and time again I see a US-centric debate on this. Not all orders, are for US customers. So this theory of saving shipping costs only works if you're talking about US customers.

True but if the return to the US manufacturing model were to prevail then I'd assume a similar return to Cork in Ireland and elsewhere would follow.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

That is great bring back jobs from China and assemble these products in the good old USA.Better quality control also.

• Reply 32 of 79
    marvfox wrote: »
    That is great bring back jobs from China and assemble these products in the good old USA.Better quality control also.

What is wrong with the current QC? Nothing from my longtime experience, nothing I read on the internet...my iPhone5 arrived without a scratch!
  • Reply 33 of 79
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

If building products in the US will result in higher costs, then I'd want it as an option so I can continue to buy Apple products at the lower (current) price. 

• Reply 34 of 79
    cgj wrote: »
    If building products in the US will result in higher costs, then I'd want it as an option so I can continue to buy Apple products at the lower (current) price. 

So no Quality Control issues for you either?
  • Reply 35 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So no Quality Control issues for you either?

Nope. And unless QC issues start arising from building things in China, I'm not going to want to pay more so that jobs can return to the US.

If they decided to build Apple products in the UK, however....:D

• Reply 36 of 79
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It will NOT happen.

$2,299.00 - Made in USA.

Same exact machine and specs. Understand that the $500 difference is probably optimistic and would most likely be more.

If you pick the Chinese model, you're being honest. If you pick the US model, well then you're lying.

That's the reality. Steve Jobs was right when he told Obama that those jobs are not coming back.

Taiwan Semiconductor is looking at building their first plant here in the US, to not only satisfy Apple's demand, but all other domestic customers as well. Aegis, a Mumbai based call center company is building a Dallas metroplex and will add 1K new jobs as part of a US deal it made to hire workers. Many domestic and foreign cars are parts manufactured here in the US with assembly. The idea is that if it is assembled in America vs. China, Taiwan, etc., then it will have a badge of excellence and quality, and more and more people will be looking for it and expect it, therefore increasing demand for that seal of approval and lowering any additional temporary domestic costs that it may require.  To say "jobs are not coming back", is an ignorant blanket statement that needs to be quantified.

• Reply 37 of 79
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It will NOT happen.

$2,299.00 - Made in USA.

I already buy free range chicken. Why wouldn't I buy a free range iMac? image

• Reply 38 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm an American and I could care less where my electronics or other gadgets are assembled. Where in the USA would you get the level of workforce needed to crank out all the iPhones a s iPads Apple sells? I suppose they could bring back manufacturing of iMacs and MacPros but it seems to me that would be more symbolic than good business. Besides people seem to forget the "Designed in California" part. The majority of Apple's designers and engineers, plus all product, marketing, operations support (higher paying jobs) work in the USA. I've seen the videos iPhone and iPads being assembled by hans at Foxconn. How many Amerians would do that kind of work? Especially when these days they'd probably make more getting unemployment.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    marvfox wrote: »

Fallacy.

You've apparently never seen the inside of a modern Chinese factory. The quality control is very good.

And given that American work practices create a lot more stops and starts than Chinese work practices, it's conceivable that the quality control would even drop after bringing production to the US.

So what's your evidence that the US has better quality control?
  • Reply 40 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm an American and I could care less where my electronics or other gadgets are assembled.

You COULD care less, could you?