Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set

Comments

• Reply 121 of 219

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If you are talking about the Apple TV remote, the pause button is located where you put the volume control.

Yep, have you used one of the new ones? The silver thing handles that. Yes, Apple literally has two buttons on the Apple Remote that have identical functions. They did it for the sole purpose of symmetry, despite easily being able to just put the Menu button in the center instead.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They were able to start with a blank slate and make something unique, that's not the case with TVs.

Sure it is. The requirement for the iPod was that there be a screen. The requirement for the iPhone was that there be a screen. 

Stripped down to its essence, what does a TV require?

Originally Posted by strobe View Post

Sorry Apple, but you obviously missed the boat. The time to release consumer electronics is BEFORE Christmas. Massive deadline fail

… Better be sarcasm.

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Ouch. Asymmetrical placement. Not wise.

There's nothing that can be done about that.

• Reply 122 of 219
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    One thing that is feasible and they could make is this :
    a 3D screen with dual cameras (à-la kinect) to detect the position of people in the room and precisely of their eyes.
    3D icons that spring out of the screen and the user can just 'touch' the icon to activate. The cameras would detect the position of the finger, of the eyes, and calculate which button was pressed.
  • Reply 123 of 219

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

…a 3D screen with dual cameras (à-la kinect) to detect the position of people in the room and precisely of their eyes.

Dual 10MP, low-light cameras… in a TV?

• Reply 124 of 219
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    How does that comment indicate Apple is planning a television set?

Note that "redefine the TV set" is not the same as "planning a TV set".
  • Reply 125 of 219
    LL

I'd like to see a side mounted Siri button that you can depress with your index finger instead of using your thumb.

I'd also like to see that fingerprint scanner tech they bought used not for security but so whomever had possession of the remote control last will have their settings, shows, history, auto-selected to idealize the UI and make it easier to navigate.
  • Reply 126 of 219
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    mobius wrote: »
    Tim, Tim, Tim...I think it's time for an upgrade my friend. So wheel out your old set...
    LL

and wheel in the new...
    LL

The first time I saw a Scamsung Smart TV interface I couldn't believe it, it was so like the Apple TV one I actually thought for a moment it was a an Apple TV running. It's unbelievable how they simply rip off everything Apple designs.
  • Reply 127 of 219
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'd like to see a side mounted Siri button that you can depress with your index finger instead of using your thumb.
    I'd also like to see that fingerprint scanner tech they bought used not for security but so whomever had possession of the remote control last will have their settings, shows, history, auto-selected to idealize the UI and make it easier to navigate.

Talking about the cute little remote ... I want the Apple remotes to show up in a 'FindMyRemote" page on my iPad or Mac that is so close up it can show you which room and which sofa they're hiding under! (I kid about the proximity but one can hope).

Plus I would love Apple to sell add on dongles that also show up that I could add to my car keys and the cat etc.
  • Reply 128 of 219

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It's unbelievable how they are simply allowed to rip off everything Apple designs.

Inconceivable.

• Reply 129 of 219
    Inconceivable.

Good edit!
  • Reply 130 of 219
    The first time I saw a Scamsung Smart TV interface I couldn't believe it, it was so like the Apple TV one I actually thought for a moment it was a an Apple TV running. It's unbelievable how they simply rip off everything Apple designs.

Search for the Samsung remote control that looks like an iPhone 4.

Talking about the cute little remote ... I want the Apple remotes to show up in a 'FindMyRemote" page on my iPad or Mac that is so close up it can show you which room and which sofa they're hiding under! (I kid about the proximity but one can hope).
    Plus I would love Apple to sell add on dongles that also show up that I could add to my car keys and the cat etc.

I'd make it more simple than that since the remote won't need a GPS and it wouldn't be powerful enough to really be accurate for which couch cushion it's under. I'd rather just have a wireless receiver and speaker/circuit that can emit a loud sound when you depress a button on the TV/Apple TV.
  • Reply 131 of 219
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Search for the Samsung remote control that looks like an iPhone 4.
    I'd make it more simple than that since the remote won't need a GPS and it wouldn't be powerful enough to really be accurate for which couch cushion it's under. I'd rather just have a wireless receiver and speaker/circuit that can emit a loud sound when you depress a button on the TV/Apple TV.

Good idea on the noise, plus a button like that in the cat bowl!
  • Reply 132 of 219
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I am an advocate of absolutely hating everything that I do. That I do. I don't like it when other people get down on themselves.

I just gotta ask: how do you intend on controlling it with a current Apple Remote? Or is that not part of the edits that you've done; more just a layout mockup?

You wanna have some fun with remote designs?

EDIT: Here's what I see as the simplest possible remote to control either an Apple HDTV or an Apple TV+TV.

LL

I hate the Apple remotes so far. They're great for portable use, but damn is it anti-ergonomic.

Power would handle power for either the TV or both the TV and Apple TV. Circle's for navigation, button in the center is for accepting. Menu brings up the menu (or takes you back to the menu; probably that) wherever you are in the UI. Volume rocker handles volume. 

Maybe Power would be in the center, but then you still have the volume rocker asymmetry, so I put it on the other side.

Doesn't need a number pad, doesn't need those four colored buttons (whatever those are supposed to do on a Blu-ray player…).

Nine buttons to bring you the best television experience you've ever had. And the simplest one since the days of just ABC, NBC, and CBS.

Power button used to be the middle of the d-pad, but that got changed to select for rearranging tiles.

… Right in the middle of the selectors. Just like the current model.

2.39:1 TVs. But I think he meant something different than the ratio.

Those things failed anyway. Only movies use that ratio, and quite a lot of them don't.
  • Reply 133 of 219

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Power button used to be the middle of the d-pad, but that got changed to select for rearranging tiles.

OH! Okay, so just bring that back (hold down Menu) and we can remove the dedicated power button.

Those things failed anyway. Only movies use that ratio, and quite a lot of them don't.

All one of them. Wasn't it just LG that made one? image

• Reply 134 of 219
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

My Take on the TV

1) It will have Siri. You can talk to the TV, or a remote, or an iPhone. 

2) It will have face time, and a camera. Like that scene in Back To The Future.

3) A version of iOS, which will have a more restricted app store: games, music, you tube, video related apps. Other apps will have to update - I don't see the use of a productivity app, but weather apps would be good.

4) itunes/music will have a visualiser. 

5) It will sync with all apple devices.

6) It will not be a DVR not in the traditional sense of that idea.

7) It will have inputs for TV, and a DVD player. Possibly both will be HDMI.

8) The TV app will be a normal app, it will show what ever is inputed via the HDMI 1 input.

This will mean that there are apps for Music, YouTube, Videos ( i.e. Apple's video service in the cloud or locally) and apps like NetFlix, *and* an app for live TV.

The app for TV will just transmit what your tuner is showing, you will control it with the normal remote you get with that. It can show picture in picture, of course. Apple may also add an API to allow the use of the iPhone to control the channels - SKY+ already has that ( and you can schedule when not at home). Assume the iPhone will be controlling a lot of this, or voice, or both.

• Reply 135 of 219
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

My Take on the TV

1) It will have Siri. You can talk to the TV, or a remote, or an iPhone. 

2) It will have face time, and a camera. Like that scene in Back To The Future.

3) A version of iOS, which will have a more restricted app store: games, music, you tube, video related apps. Other apps will have to update - I don't see the use of a productivity app, but weather apps would be good.

4) itunes/music will have a visualiser. 

5) It will sync with all apple devices.

6) It will not be a DVR not in the traditional sense of that idea.

7) It will have inputs for TV, and a DVD player. Possibly both will be HDMI.

8) The TV app will be a normal app, it will show what ever is inputed via the HDMI 1 input.

This will mean that there are apps for Music, YouTube, Videos ( i.e. Apple's video service in the cloud or locally) and apps like NetFlix, *and* an app for live TV.

The app for TV will just transmit what your tuner is showing, you will control it with the normal remote you get with that. It can show picture in picture, of course. Apple may also add an API to allow the use of the iPhone to control the channels - SKY+ already has that ( and you can schedule when not at home). Assume the iPhone will be controlling a lot of this, or voice, or both.

1) My guess is it will not have Siri.

2) It may have FaceTime, it may not, what I don't get is how that's any more useful than using any other device for FaceTime, it seems odd, to me. Especially that you'd have to either go over the stand in front of the TV camera, or be tiny in the living room, on the other end.

3) App Store, yes.

4) Meh

5) Yes, it will have iCloud

6) You don't need to record shows stored on a server.

7) No inputs, period, well, besides those for a surround sound system and an ethernet for those on a wired connection, etc. Perhaps an SD slot, but doubtful.

8) No inputs. (read: control) This device will be very-Apple, it will be locked down like Fort Knox, of which the benefits will be, security, simplicity, cohesion of product and a seamless and integrated experience. If they build it, they will come.

• Reply 136 of 219

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

7) No inputs, period, well, besides those for a surround sound system and an ethernet for those on a wired connection, etc. Perhaps an SD slot, but doubtful.

So what's your take on content? In what format is that served?

• Reply 137 of 219
    ireland wrote: »
    2) It may have FaceTime, it may not, what I don't get is how that's any more useful than using any other device for FaceTime, it seems odd, to me. Especially that you'd have to either go over the stand in front of the TV camera, or be tiny in the living room, on the other end

There is another solution. The system will recognize faces then zoom and crop in to the appropriate distance. If there are multiple people in the room you would use the remote control's left/right buttons to switch the focus from user to user. I seem to recall they have a patent or two on this very thing.

I see that you've now removed your sig that previously stated there would be no inputs. Zip, zero, zilch. Now you are suggesting there will be some but don't have any way for content to come in via cable or satellite. Do you really think Apple is going to ignore these content distributors completely, especially cable which also supplies the internet? I think it's more likely Apple will work with them instead of closing them out... much in the same way Apple didn't close out carriers when it invented the iPhone.
  • Reply 138 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So what's your take on content? In what format is that served?

That's the puzzle I'm hoping Apple has solved (be it app channels or a TV subscription contract, where they have all those shows people need). But I do expect this TV to the full locked down.

• Reply 139 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is another solution. The system will recognize faces then zoom and crop in to the appropriate distance. If there are multiple people in the room you would use the remote control's left/right buttons to switch the focus from user to user. I seem to recall they have a patent or two on this very thing.

I know that patent, yes, but the whole thing seems like pure yuck!

• Reply 140 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see that you've now removed your sig that previously stated there would be no inputs. Zip, zero, zilch. 

How dare I change my sig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Now you are suggesting there will be some but don't have any way for content to come in via cable or satellite.

Good God, for flip sake. I still mean there will be no inputs, but having the ability to plug in a Denon surround sound amp doesn't step on Apple's toes in any way. Yes, the TV will have speakers, and yes, most people will never plug in a speaker.

And the bloomin' Ethernet cable (if they add one) is simply for wired internet. My input argument was clearly aimed squarely at HDMI and its equivalents, and remains in tact. Next you'll be saying I originally said it would have no power lead. Even Tallest would back me up here, I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you really think Apple is going to ignore these content distributors completely, especially cable which also supplies the internet?

No. I do not. Clearly they need TV shows, Im well aware of this. What they have in mind is anyone's guess. I hope they were able to negotiate something meaningful. They no doubt know this product is dead in the water if they were not. And in fact, an idea I had recently, whereby you get two options, you can pay full price for the TV (1,299, for example), or a reduced price with a TV with contract (499, for example), this would be an ideal go to market strat.