Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set

Comments

• Reply 101 of 219

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Doesn't need a pause button.

Hmm? How do you pause videos, then? And the button serves as a confirmation when not in media, so it should stick around.

• Reply 102 of 219
    "Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set" is misleading.
    A better headline would be "...redefine the TV experience"
  • Reply 103 of 219
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

EDIT: Here's what I see as the simplest possible remote to control either an Apple HDTV or an Apple TV+TV.

If a future Apple Television has a remote then it's a FAIL.

Siri or nothing - otherwise what exactly is "redefined"?

• Reply 104 of 219

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Siri or nothing - otherwise what exactly is "redefined"?

You'd better be joking.

• Reply 105 of 219
    richl wrote: »
    I hope so. I've got a Samsung Smart TV. The actual display is fantastic but the Smart TV functionality is woeful. Slow, terrible UI, constant updates... about the only good feature is that you can plug in any old USB hard-drive and use it as a DVR.
    I hope it's a totally different form factor
  • Reply 106 of 219
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    quinney wrote: »
    Doesn't need a pause button.

Hmm? How do you pause videos, then? And the button serves as a confirmation when not in media, so it should stick around.

Well then put one on your mockup.
  • Reply 107 of 219
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    appalive wrote: »
    I hope it's a totally different form factor

How can one make a TV and change the form factor? Going back to 4:3 instead of 16:9?
  • Reply 108 of 219

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

… Right in the middle of the selectors. Just like the current model.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How can one make a TV and change the form factor? Going back to 4:3 instead of 16:9?

2.39:1 TVs. But I think he meant something different than the ratio.

• Reply 109 of 219
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    The Apple Television will come out. There will be law suits over its technological abilities. Also there will be some sort of gate issue Like antenna gate crap and we will comment that Apple is Doomed. BFD.
  • Reply 110 of 219
    Yes I meant something different. Form factor was the wrong terminology. Oop. I was thinking like something different to the standard box, some kind of different technology in projection. Not sure, this was my first post and a stupid one at that. :)
  • Reply 111 of 219
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

If you are talking about the Apple TV remote, the pause button is located where you put the volume control.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC377LL/A/apple-remote
  • Reply 112 of 219
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

It doesn't.  It's all speculation.   One of the reasons why the TV market sucks is because a lot of people are waiting for Apple to release an actually line of Smart TVs.  And maybe just the pent up demand being built is enough to through off the TV market.  Right now, Plasma is being phased out, and Sharp's new iGZO technology is going to be released next month at CES and that's supposed to be the replacement for what is currently on the market since it can go to higher resolution, requires less power, etc.

I hope that most of that is sarcasm. The only people who might wait are the ones that read these boards.  I haven't looked at the television market. If you want to know what is coming, look at trade shows and tech articles. It's possible that new stuff is already in development. I've been unsure about the idea of an Apple television. The positive aspect there is that it would give them a presence in another market. Right now they have an extremely low stake in television. They have nothing to cannibalize, as the current Apple TV is trivial relative to other products. Lower power requirements would possibly solve a few engineering problems there. The issue of trying to stabilize color at higher temperatures when energy spent to do so can cause more heat presents a greater problem in larger displays. I haven't read up enough on IGZO, but I'm kind of wondering how long before backlighting goes away. It would solve the issue of backlight bleed and possibly uniformity with a lessened requirement to solve the problem through panel blocking and reduced contrast.

• Reply 113 of 219
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

So how would or could Apple change the form factor of TVs? Can't deviate much from what's already out there. There were no guidelines to design the iPod and iPhone. They were able to start with a blank slate and make something unique, that's not the case with TVs.
  • Reply 114 of 219
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    allenbf wrote: »
    I can't see how it will be an actual "set."  It'd be priced way too high, my opinion.  More like, it's an updated STB with all the functions of DVR, unbundled channels, and perhaps a larger thunderbolt display.  I *think* Apple could produce this in the $1k range, give or take, even with their margins.

I don't think it will have a DVR function though. If you can watch any programme on demand then why would you need it?

When Cook says that watching TV is like going back in time 30 or 40 years, I think he is referring to the fact that everyone is still tied to TV schedules.
  • Reply 115 of 219
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member

Sorry Apple, but you obviously missed the boat. The time to release consumer electronics is BEFORE Christmas. 

Massive deadline fail

• Reply 116 of 219
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    If the AppleTV box were to have DVR capability, it would need a means of storage. I can't see Apple putting a disk drive (back) in there; I can see it being an SSD, [I]but[/I] a reasonable size, say at least 256 GB, would add significant $$$ to the cost. The price on SSDs could come down significantly, of course; or they could get a good price on volume (and that might in turn help put bigger SSDs in Macs :)).

On the other hand, I don't see any prospective content providers/studios being happy with users being able to record what they like at their ( the users') leisure, unless they (the providers) can possibly prevent it. Otherwise, why did Apple remove the recording medium from the AppleTV box in the first place (other than cutting the cost of the device, of course)? They (the providers) would come up with some way of upsetting the users' experience, rather in the way that they do at the moment with warning ads and screens re copying at every conceivable opportunity, or forcing the users to pay for unwanted TV bundles, for example (and both of those drive me right up the wall).

It just seems (to me) to be the way that the content providers tick. And at the moment I can't see how Apple could get around them (which doesn't mean that they haven't of course - I'm not Apple, and I lack their imagination).
  • Reply 117 of 219
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member

dasanman69 wrote: »

Maybe 3D holography ;). I think we're a long way away from that, though...
  • Reply 118 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I have no doubt that Apple is working to take over the living room.

I am looking forward to it.

I hope they work with Loewe on designs...

http://www.loewe.tv/int

Time will tell.

Please don't. Loewe design is awful. I don't know about other people like but to me, they are stuck in the 70s in term of design feel and look.
  • Reply 119 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I am an advocate of absolutely hating everything that I do. That I do. I don't like it when other people get down on themselves.

I just gotta ask: how do you intend on controlling it with a current Apple Remote? Or is that not part of the edits that you've done; more just a layout mockup?

You wanna have some fun with remote designs?

EDIT: Here's what I see as the simplest possible remote to control either an Apple HDTV or an Apple TV+TV.

Power would handle power for either the TV or both the TV and Apple TV. Circle's for navigation, button in the center is for accepting. Menu brings up the menu (or takes you back to the menu; probably that) wherever you are in the UI. Volume rocker handles volume. 

Maybe Power would be in the center, but then you still have the volume rocker asymmetry, so I put it on the other side.

Doesn't need a number pad, doesn't need those four colored buttons (whatever those are supposed to do on a Blu-ray player…).

Nine buttons to bring you the best television experience you've ever had. And the simplest one since the days of just ABC, NBC, and CBS.

Ouch. Asymmetrical placement. Not wise.
  • Reply 120 of 219
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

A television? Lordy, what will they think of next!