Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set

Comments

• Reply 81 of 219
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

i don't want to have to pay $100 for 1500 channels with only 5 of those channels playing things i'm interested in. i'd like to be able to subscribe only to the shows i like. that's it.

you can already do this in iTunes on any iOS Device, including the Apple TV.

I've done some math for my household.  If I cut my cable and went strictly Antenna for Live, Hulu+ and Netflix for streaming, supplemented by iTunes for shows not available on any of the others...we could save almost $50/mo. on our entertainment bill.  So it's possible to cut the cable or drop the dish, but it's not a huge savings. but that's just my situation.  CBS, BBC and HBO are the biggest reasons why we'd have to supplement with iTunes, otherwise Hulu+ and Netflix with Over-Air Free would be just fine.

• Reply 82 of 219

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Yeah I have, how about you?

No, you haven't. No one can possibly take you seriously when you say this.

The image in the article looks like a 27" iMac with a shorter chin and black bezel.

So not in the slightest like an iMac, given that it has no chin whatsoever and looks exactly like a Thunderbolt Display that has an interface (poorly) edited onto it. 

Wow, such a big difference!

Fine, next time you want to buy an iMac, I'll sell you a Thunderbolt Display that has no computer in it at all. You're fine with that.

The Samsung TV at least looks like a 55" TV. 

Your explicit mention of a size probably implies something, but I can't imagine what it is so I'll ignore it.

"Loohs like a TV," huh? In what way doesn't the Thunderbolt Display look like a TV?

• Reply 83 of 219

Quote:

Yeah I have, how about you? The image in the article looks like a 27" iMac with a shorter chin and black bezel. Wow, such a big difference! The Samsung TV at least looks like a 55" TV. 

I have to laugh at you a little.  That image is actually of the current Apple Thunderbolt display with a photoshop'd image of the Apple TV home screen on it.

Silly rabbit.

Edit: What's interesting is that AI never posts the photo of the minimalist TV that Apple shows on their own website for Apple TV:

• Reply 84 of 219

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Edit: What's interesting is that AI never posts the photo of the minimalist TV that Apple shows on their own website for Apple TV:

The image they always use for these stories annoys me to no end. It's possibly the worst attempt at "perspective" that I've ever seen.

• Reply 85 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Shut Up And Take My Money!

No kidding!

• Reply 86 of 219

I think the "magic" of what we will see will be how much we DON'T see.

I expect a voice controlled interface LIKE Siri -- but the real magic will be the same that people take for granted now with iTunes; 95% sweat licensing and 5% on software.

All the middle-men out there like restrictions and hoops -- and for good reason. Any device that revolutionizes entertainment and fixes "what is wrong" is by necessity, going to break a lot of the old paradigms and profit models -- because it will be User-centric, just like that evil "walled garden" of the iPhone that few are trying to escape.

I'm pretty sure I have a good idea on how it would work (might even require a certain Kinect-like device), but really, it all probably depends a lot more on nailing down licensing and keeping ISPs from throttling it. The only sure thing is, it's going to be OBVIOUS immediately after everyone is shocked.

• Reply 87 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The image they always use for these stories annoys me to no end. It's possibly the worst attempt at "perspective" that I've ever seen.

yes, it boggles the mind.  I guess someone at AI thinks this is what Apple Television should look like, yet on Apple's own website they show you (albeit a generic image) an image of what Apple think s a TV looks like.  Yes it's a generic, nondescript TV that bares a striking resemblance to an older Panasonic Pro-series monitor from the early 2000's

and it's not aluminum with rounded corners...but it's what Apple's Website shows.

• Reply 88 of 219
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

You bash me in one post then agree with me in the next one. That is pretty much all I was saying. And the thunderbolt display does like like a chinless iMac with a black bezel. It certainly doesn't look like a 55" future Apple TV and I pray they would never use that stand on a TV but I would imagine anyone buying an expensive Apple TV would also buy a motorized wall mount that you can swivel or tilt with your iPhone or iPad. 

• Reply 89 of 219

It certainly doesn't look like a 55" future Apple TV.

What WOULD, is what I'm getting at. A screen with a bezel and a stand (nothing more) doesn't look like a TV? What WOULD look like a TV to you?

• Reply 90 of 219
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

What WOULD, is what I'm getting at. A screen with a bezel and a stand (nothing more) doesn't look like a TV? What WOULD look like a TV to you?

One that looks larger than 27" for a start. All we can do is guess, but I would hope this would be closer to the mark.

• Reply 91 of 219

One that looks larger than 27" for a start. 

I seriously don't believe that you're not saying this in jest. It's unfathomable. Therefore I'll just say, "You got me," and we'll leave it at that.

• Reply 92 of 219
    No wonder Apple's stock has been dropping, those in the know have shorted it so it would be less expensive to buy as Apple's TV set near. LOL!
  • Reply 93 of 219
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

I can't see how it will be an actual "set."  It'd be priced way too high, my opinion.  More like, it's an updated STB with all the functions of DVR, unbundled channels, and perhaps a larger thunderbolt display.  I *think* Apple could produce this in the $1k range, give or take, even with their margins.

• Reply 94 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

This reveal is sooo un-Steve like ....

well, i will hold my purchase for a new TV set. in current market, i can only see sony's xbr set has the best color uniformity. 

• Reply 95 of 219
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Here's my pathetic contribution:

• Reply 96 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I can't see how it will be an actual "set."  It'd be priced way too high, my opinion.  More like, it's an updated STB with all the functions of DVR, unbundled channels, and perhaps a larger thunderbolt display.  I *think* Apple could produce this in the $1k range, give or take, even with their margins.

You might be right. We're were wrong about the iPad price, and people never choose the base model, anyway.

• Reply 97 of 219

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I am an advocate of absolutely hating everything that I do. That I do. I don't like it when other people get down on themselves.

I just gotta ask: how do you intend on controlling it with a current Apple Remote? Or is that not part of the edits that you've done; more just a layout mockup?

You wanna have some fun with remote designs?

EDIT: Here's what I see as the simplest possible remote to control either an Apple HDTV or an Apple TV+TV.

Power would handle power for either the TV or both the TV and Apple TV. Circle's for navigation, button in the center is for accepting. Menu brings up the menu (or takes you back to the menu; probably that) wherever you are in the UI. Volume rocker handles volume. 

Maybe Power would be in the center, but then you still have the volume rocker asymmetry, so I put it on the other side.

Doesn't need a number pad, doesn't need those four colored buttons (whatever those are supposed to do on a Blu-ray player…).

Nine buttons to bring you the best television experience you've ever had. And the simplest one since the days of just ABC, NBC, and CBS.

• Reply 98 of 219

Quote:

I am an advocate of absolutely hating everything that I do. That I do. I don't like it when other people get down on themselves.

I just gotta ask: how do you intend on controlling it with a current Apple Remote? Or is that not part of the edits that you've done; more just a layout mockup?

Cheers. Nah I'm not being hard on myself. I just know I'm no PS wizard.

No, I doubt their actual TV remote will be the regular Apple remote, but I expect something very simple.

• Reply 99 of 219

Quote:

One that looks larger than 27" for a start. All we can do is guess, but I would hope this would be closer to the mark.

Dump the ugly table and that's a nice set up.

• Reply 100 of 219
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    ireland wrote: »
    LL

EDIT: Here's what I see as the simplest possible remote to control either an Apple HDTV or an Apple TV+TV.

LL
    Power would handle power for either the TV or both the TV and Apple TV. Circle's for navigation, button in the center is for accepting. Menu brings up the menu (or takes you back to the menu; probably that) wherever you are in the UI. Volume rocker handles volume. 

Maybe Power would be in the center, but then you still have the volume rocker asymmetry, so I put it on the other side.

Doesn't need a number pad, doesn't need those four colored buttons (whatever those are supposed to do on a Blu-ray player…).

Nine buttons to bring you the best television experience you've ever had. And the simplest one since the days of just ABC, NBC, and CBS.

Doesn't need a pause button.