Google CEO Larry Page says rivalries with Apple & Amazon hurt users

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 159

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

To help out the users, we really should have a way to block ads if we don't want to see them.

AdBlock, Ghostery, DoNotTrack+,GoogleClickTracker, and Google Disconnect should get rid of their presence as much as possible.

And if you have Little Snitch, directly block Google Analytics (and any/all of their other services) from connecting.

• Reply 142 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AdBlock, Ghostery, DoNotTrack+,GoogleClickTracker, and Google Disconnect should get rid of their presence as much as possible.

And if you have Little Snitch, directly block Google Analytics (and any/all of their other services) from connecting.

Are these avail for iOS? :)

• Reply 143 of 159
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member

Quote:

TS, does DoNotTrack+ also block Facebook data harvesting or Microsoft user tracking too?

• Reply 144 of 159

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Are these avail for iOS? :)

Ah. Well… 

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

TS, does DoNotTrack+ also block Facebook data harvesting or Microsoft user tracking too?

Oh, before we go on, apparently they renamed it to "Do Not Track Me". Here's what they have to say about Facebook:

9. Does your software stop all tracking by Facebook?

Facebook makes money from advertising, so they make it complicated for you to use their site in a way that interrupts their ability to collect your personal information for advertisers. Although we can stop Facebook and Facebook advertisers from tracking you when you are not on Facebook (blocking “Like” buttons, etc) there's nothing that DNTMe -- or anyone else -- can do about Facebook when you are actually ON Facebook. Anything you voluntarily post, including photos, comments, interests, and your location, is used for tracking purposes.

Our best advice is to set strict privacy settings, limit what you share, and avoid games & apps (they are marketing companies in disguise). Facebook isn't truly a free service; it's paid for by its users' information. That’s why the DNTMe icon turns yellow on Facebook: even if you can't see any tracking companies in the alert window, you should surf with caution.

So it seems they try their best to stop Facebook as long as you're not on it. Which, for those of us without accounts at all, should be nearly everything they try to do. They have a similar point for Google.

Looking up Microsoft now. I don't see anything specific about it (and I wish they'd just have a list of the trackers it can find right on their site).

All together, I use AdBlock, Ghostery (ad blocking), Do Not Track Me (trackers), Get Off My Lawn (social networking buttons), GoogleClickTracker (though I use Bing now, anyway), Defacer (gets rid of Facebook buttons on AI, since Get Off My Lawn doesn't seem to find them), and Google/Facebook/Twitter Disconnect (more tracking). 

I may have one or two redundant ones there, but only one or two. And that's unacceptable, in my opinion.  Everything should legally be forced to be opt-in.

"How would they make money?"

A more reputable business plan, maybe? Anyway, there are plenty of willing subjects for an opt-in.

• Reply 145 of 159

Quote:

That would be nice!

• Reply 146 of 159
    "I"d like to see more cooperation on the user side"

Larry wants more cooperation from Apple after they promptly stabbed Apple in the back after Apple made them privileged partners in the introduction of the iPhone by that robbery they call Android!

What is this guy on?
  • Reply 147 of 159

Originally Posted by BARCODE View Post

What is this guy on?

A roll.

• Reply 148 of 159

Quote:

Ah. Well… 

Oh, before we go on, apparently they renamed it to "Do Not Track Me". Here's what they have to say about Facebook:

So it seems they try their best to stop Facebook as long as you're not on it. Which, for those of us without accounts at all, should be nearly everything they try to do. They have a similar point for Google.

Looking up Microsoft now. I don't see anything specific about it (and I wish they'd just have a list of the trackers it can find right on their site).

All together, I use AdBlock, Ghostery (ad blocking), Do Not Track Me (trackers), Get Off My Lawn (social networking buttons), GoogleClickTracker (though I use Bing now, anyway), Defacer (gets rid of Facebook buttons on AI, since Get Off My Lawn doesn't seem to find them), and Google/Facebook/Twitter Disconnect (more tracking). 

I may have one or two redundant ones there, but only one or two. And that's unacceptable, in my opinion.  Everything should legally be forced to be opt-in.

Thanks for the detailed info TS. I'm sure more than one member will find it useful.

• Reply 149 of 159

TS, you'll find this interesting. the latest developer build of Google's Chrome browser lets users set direct links to competing search engines. 

The Chrome team has announced a new addition to the Chromium (beta version of Chrome) browser this afternoon, changing the way many users will search for content online via Google and other search engines. Google is testing/experimenting with an added search box to the new tab page, a page that has historically just listed recently viewed websites, and the new search box will not only include Google search but will also be accompanied by Yahoo, Bing and others. Google said the reasoning behind the change is: “we’ve found that many people still navigate to their search engine’s home page to initiate a search instead.”

Google is also allowing search engines to display what a user has searched for right in the omnibox, potentially doing away with a second search box on the actual search page. Additionally, Google has made a new Embedded Search API available so other search engines can implement what’s new. The features outlined today are available for testing from the Chrome Developer Channel that includes a select few Chrome OS and Windows users (Mac will be coming soon). Sadly, Mountain View gave no word on when the features will hit an official build.

So TS, you can easily use Google Chrome without using Google Search.

• Reply 150 of 159

we’ve found…

So many places to go with this. image

But yeah, that is interesting. Thanks!

• Reply 151 of 159

Quote:

So many places to go with this. image

But yeah, that is interesting. Thanks!

Yes, now Chrome will be able to report back on what people are searching for on other search engines, whether they tried to search for it on Google before or after, what sort of results they got, how long they spent looking at them, ...

• Reply 152 of 159
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,915member

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

While I agree with you in principle, yes you CAN beat someone by copying. Biggest example? Microsoft.

More sales doesn't mean its better. I don't see Microsoft as "copying" Apple. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

I suppose you see Google Docs and Google Maps as failures...

Google Docs isn't all its made up to be. Google Maps..Meh. Neither is nothing really better than anything else on the market. 

• Reply 153 of 159
    sr2012 wrote: »
    I predicted that Apple would release the Siri "API" and this would cause a whole new voice-app goldrush, including universal speech/dialog translation.
    I am shocked it hasn't happened yet.

"You" predicted? The same way I predicted a phone with no keys this morning? Lol
  • Reply 154 of 159
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Are you still trying to breathe life into your fairy tale? Given it up, pull the plug, it's brain dead.

Dont you see he is using his distoriton field to bend the facts!!! WOW,  he really lives someplace other than earth....

• Reply 155 of 159

Quote:

Well, yeah. They had to. It was absolutely useless in the beginning.

Gmail was in beta for six years.

I want them to get out of consumer computing entirely and focus on the self-driving cars. Stop doing everything else they do and just do the cars.

Implying that it was bad at launch, which it wasn't.

Agreed Google advanced rapidly because they had to but Apple did not do enough to be sure ensure that they kept their lead.

Gmail was in beta for 6 years? So what? Your point is...

Self-Driving car? Cool.

I never implied Siri was bad at launch at all. What are you smoking? The reality is, Apple was better with voice recognition and now their not. Again Google evidently busted their tails to improve (because they had to) while Apple did very little to build on Siri.

The fact is Apple needs to work harder to be sure that they stay ahead and they haven't been doing that very well as of late. Their competitors are working extremely hard and as such improving at a stronger pace. Apple need to be sure that their competition is always playing catch-up.

I think Apple knows that they haven't been doing such a good job in this area and this is the REAL reason Forstall was shown the door.

I love Apple and their products, but I'm not afraid to call them on their sh*t, when they're not getting the job done.

• Reply 156 of 159

Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Gmail was in beta for 6 years? So what? Your point is...

…Several.

• Software being in beta ? the software is bad.

• Good software can be in beta long after it becomes good.

• Apple is not the only company that publicly releases beta software.

• Long beta periods have existed for other software that went on to become extraordinarily popular.

I thought that would have just clicked for you once you'd seen Gmail in the same light you're shining on Siri.

• Reply 157 of 159

Quote:

…Several.

• Software being in beta ? the software is bad.

• Good software can be in beta long after it becomes good.

• Apple is not the only company that publicly releases beta software.

• Long beta periods have existed for other software that went on to become extraordinarily popular.

I thought that would have just clicked for you once you'd seen Gmail in the same light you're shining on Siri.

When did I say that Beta software was bad? When did I say that Siri was bad?

Apple can keep it in beta as far as I'm concerned if they are actually going to keep working at making it better, but alas, they have done very little.

Most software does not stay in beta indefinitely. Bad on Google. That's the exception, not the norm.

I actually feel that Siri was pretty good when it launched. My point which you clearly wish to ignore, is that Siri is only marginally better now, than when it was released. In that time, the competition have not only closed the gap but actually surpassed Siri in "some" ways. Apple let this happen and they shouldn't have. I realize that Siri can do more than voice recognition and if Apple will release API's it will do even more.

When it comes to speech to text recognition and search, Google is presently killing it. I wish they weren't, but they are.

• Reply 158 of 159

Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Apple can keep it in beta as far as I'm concerned if they are actually going to keep working at making it better, but alas, they have done very little.

They've done TONS. They've added languages, processing has been improved, accuracy has been improved, and even the scope of functionality has been increased.

What do you expect? What could possibly assuage you? Would you prefer they just drop the "beta" tag? Then you'd complain that it's not "release-worthy".

• Reply 159 of 159

Quote:

They've done TONS. They've added languages, processing has been improved, accuracy has been improved, and even the scope of functionality has been increased.

What do you expect? What could possibly assuage you? Would you prefer they just drop the "beta" tag? Then you'd complain that it's not "release-worthy".

TONS? Seriously?  The fact that it is in other languages now is of zero value to me. When I use Siri today, compared to when it was first released it's no better. In fact at times the performance is actually worse. It depends on the servers I suppose, that are doing the voice recognition. Sometimes they get overloaded I'm guessing - or maybe it's spotty web connections.

Google can do accurate, damn-near real-time speech recognition right on the phone, without having to send data off to a server to be processed. There is a HUGE difference in how Google's speech recognition has improved from when the time Siri was released. Siri performs no better and at times worse.

BTW - I am not a Google fan and I dislike their greasy, data harvesting activities. That said, I'm not so blind as to not recognize when their software is doing a great job.