Apple sold 2 million iPhone 5 units in China launch weekend

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

How can Chinese people afford iPhones considering that their average income is just around $4000 a year?!?! Clearly, not many.

Man you must wish you could take back your words because 2 million people can afford the iPhone 5. For a country that has 1.4 billion people that not a large number of people (1.5%), but still a good number and doubt the sales will stop there.

• Reply 22 of 86

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If we take the mean average of any nation it would be impossible for anyone to own a mansion, private jet or yacht.

Guess communism doesn't work after all!

… That joke is a lot deeper than I meant it to be.

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Yes folks, China's meteoric rise has peaked. Sending out press statements redirecting focus on quality over volume is a clean indication they have peaked.

Time for some sheer panic as gloom-and-doomers talk about how this is the start of the semi-violent switch to full democracy in China.

• Reply 23 of 86

mdriftmeyer,

Lets see, since I read different conclusion to those news stories in that, Chinese understand that global economy is in a turbulent  period and China cannot depend on their export trade to support growth and must develop infrastructure and quality initiatives within country to allow growth to continue.

• Reply 24 of 86
    Well 2 million in china probably only 3 million Chinese will have it by 2013
  • Reply 25 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You've become quite the Apple hater recently. Should we blame it on possible stock losses because you happened to bet wrong?

It should be noted that the iPhone 5 is more expensive for Chinese in China because of various taxes that are applied to imports. I've read that it's cheaper to pay a scalper who buys in the US and flies the product back to China instead of buying the item in China proper.

Import taxes?!! So here in the USA we think of the iPhone as being made in China, while in China, it's an import!!! 

They must being made on the Moon...

• Reply 26 of 86
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

The correct way of looking at the 2 million number is not looking at the total population of China.  The correct way is looking at the number of subscribers at China Unicom and China Telecom.  And you should know the number one is China mobile who has over 600 million subscribers  

• Reply 27 of 86
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Irrational exuberance has given way to panicked pessimism. Because of the size of lines in front of a store? Really?

And while dumb investors bemoan this fact, what do smart investors do?

• Reply 28 of 86
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    The correct way of looking at the 2 million number is not looking at the total population of China.  The correct way is looking at the number of subscribers at China Unicom and China Telecom.  And you should know the number one is China mobile who has over 600 million subscribers  
    How many S3's did Samsung sell in one weekend in China? Of course we'll never know because they don't tell. I'm sure we'll never hear about Lumia 920 sales either. All we get are these mythical marketshare figures based on estimates of god knows what. Just like this AAPL downgrade and price target cut. Not based on anything from Apple or actual sales figures, just rumors in the supply chain.
  • Reply 29 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Iff you want get technical look at the number of people using advanced smartphones in China and that's true potential market for Apple.

• Reply 29 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Man you must wish you could take back your words because 2 million people can afford the iPhone 5. For a country that has 1.4 billion people that not a large number of people (1.5%), but still a good number and doubt the sales will stop there.

China has more millionaires than the USA.  This was just announced (by Forbes I think) like, within the last 6 months.

• Reply 31 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

China has more millionaires than the USA.  This was just announced (by Forbes I think) like, within the last 6 months.

Not sure why you telling me that because all millionaires in China has no relevance to number of people, who can afford the phone. If that was relevant, then China would be biggest market, not USA.

• Reply 32 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    souliisoul wrote: »
    Not sure why you telling me that because all millionaires in China has no relevance to number of people, who can afford the phone. If that was relevant, then China would be biggest market, not USA.

He's backing up your comment. He's pointing out that China has huge number of people that can afford premium products even if the average income of the country is low.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So will there ever be anything even remotely resembling an apology when these LIARS and IDIOTS manipulating the stock are wrong? Is there any legal recourse that Apple can take to protect themselves from this? 

If not, this is basically the financial world equivalent of it being illegal for us to remove spam from the forum. But obviously infinitely more important, given that it's money involved.

Apple needs to buy itself and go private again. Keep breaking all of its sales and profit records quarter after quarter with no one to please but its customers, and be able to give two thumbs down (and simultaneously two birds up) to the analysts and shorters.

imo if you think they are wrong one can use this opportunity to buy more.  I have money coming into my option account this week, they can bash it to 400 I certainly wont mind, more leaps for me.

I bough the 21.5 imac today.  While I was there I asked questions about the iphone and iPad sales.  The iphone was in stock but it sells very well.  The ipad mini was out of stock and they sell 2 ipad mini for one ipad4. The mini is selling a lot more than anticipated but  from what I see the ipad4 sales are going down. But with WallMart dumping the ipad4 at 399$ Apple may very well clear out its stocks of ipad4 after all. They will probably blow out huge on ipad sales.

• Reply 34 of 86
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealg View Post

As an Apple shareholder, this is good news. I wonder how some in the media might try to spin this. Apple should open positively with this news tomorrow but one never knows these days.

obviously the analysts will cry it wasn't record-breaking enough.

• Reply 35 of 86
    Apple still hot. China living proof. Pundits and Analysts just going along with the crowd so they can't be singled out. Most will cut their Price targets by $50-$100 this week.
    Remember what Tim cook said .......'Don't bet AGAINST Apple'
  • Reply 36 of 86

People like you will always have "Well, well, well, well,..." to say.   Live in your imagination and be happy.

• Reply 37 of 86

I don't think Walmart sells ipad 4 at $399.  I think they sell iPad 3 at $399.  iPad 4 is still $499 there

• Reply 38 of 86
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So apparently Morgan Stanley says iPhone sales are still very strong and could top 50 million for the quarter. So I wonder which headline gets attention tomorrow. My guess is Citi since it feeds into the FUD meme the media and Wall Street have going right now.
  • Reply 39 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

China probably IS the biggest smartphone market... 

I just typed "largest smartphone market" into google.  You might want to do that before you start mouthing off.

• Reply 40 of 86

Opinions are akin to speculation, which is another word for guessing.  AAPL was $700 a short time ago and now it is flirting with $500 despite double digit earnings and a super-low P/E. Clearly something  foul is afoot- short selling and profit taking along with the fiscal cliff worries.  Yet Google, a one-horse advertisement pony is at all times high of over $700 and I hear no one in the Wall Street analyst community or amateur  blogs that GOOG is over-priced,  I see a prejudice here.  

Fancy this FACT about Apple, it has over $120 billion in cash and this will rise in 2013 to approx $200 billion.  From 2013 through 2016, there will be an annual cash profit of $50 billion per year - this assuming nothing new in its product cycle.  AAPL will within 5 years have approx $500 billion in cash for which the future stockholder can expect an increase in dividend amounts as a minimum.