Siri's reliance on Google cut in half with iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 41 of 119
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm not the one making a claim about the accuracy. I'm simply pointing out that no one has provided evidence that Apple is worse. Since you ... are claiming that Apple Maps is a dismal failure, you have the burden of proof.

You're certainly one of those making false claims tho. Unless of course you have some evidence to show where I've said that Apple maps data is a failure. I'd even accept any claim I've made that Apple's maps are lacking in any way.  

But you don't have any example since you were making it up to begin with. I've come to accept that as normal from you if you don't like the direction the argument is taking. 

• Reply 42 of 119
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 43 of 119
    Jragosta, Why are you so angry? If you like Apple maps, just use it. You dont need analysts and tech bloggers to agree before you use it. If Apple feels that they are being unfairly attacked, they'll defend it (or apologize as appropriate). It is quite funny how you are upset about something you dont need to be! It is all a choice, those who like will use Apple maps (will be the only one well integrated) or they'll use something else. Apple is quite happy where they are and consumers are still buying apple devices. So, why worry!!
  • Reply 44 of 119
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sanjt wrote: »
    Jragosta, Why are you so angry? If you like Apple maps, just use it. You dont need analysts and tech bloggers to agree before you use it. If Apple feels that they are being unfairly attacked, they'll defend it (or apologize as appropriate). It is quite funny how you are upset about something you dont need to be! It is all a choice, those who like will use Apple maps (will be the only one well integrated) or they'll use something else. Apple is quite happy where they are and consumers are still buying apple devices. So, why worry!!

You start. Why are you posting here?

Personally, I'm sick and tired of people who tell incessant lies about Apple. It has hurt Apple's stock price. And, particularly in the 90's, I had to listen to unending attacks from people who couldn't stand that I used a different computer than them.

If you don't like my comments, don't read them.
  • Reply 45 of 119

Quote:

You start. Why are you posting here?

Personally, I'm sick and tired of people who tell incessant lies about Apple. It has hurt Apple's stock price. And, particularly in the 90's, I had to listen to unending attacks from people who couldn't stand that I used a different computer than them.

If you don't like my comments, don't read them.

Ah... why? you own this place? I shouldn't post here unless I support your views!! 

OK, deal! I wont read your comments now on! (Is there a way to ignore?, as you know I am new :) I expect fellow fanbois to be rational!! But, one'll find all kinds in a box!!

• Reply 46 of 119

Originally Posted by sanjt View Post

(Is there a way to ignore?, as you know I am new :)

Under each user's name, there is an option to do just that. It's reversible at any time.

• Reply 47 of 119
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jragosta wrote: »
    2. The known fact that Google has paid shills frequenting forums to spread FUD against Apple.

It's possible, but I've not seen any proof of that.
  • Reply 48 of 119
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sanjt wrote: »
    Ah... why? you own this place? I shouldn't post here unless I support your views!! 
    OK, deal! I wont read your comments now on! (Is there a way to ignore?, as you know I am new :) I expect fellow fanbois to be rational!! But, one'll find all kinds in a box!!

You're the one who started with personal attacks against me and acted as though I were not entitled to my opinions. If you don't like what I post, there's no need for personal attacks - you just don't have to read my posts.

So stop your whining.
  • Reply 49 of 119

deleted

• Reply 50 of 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Well of course you could.... a lot of things are easy to say

Unless the truth matters to you at all. Some posters resort to personal and dishonest smear tactics when they're coming in on the short end of a disagreement. You wouldn't be one of those would you?

Oh, the irony.

• Reply 51 of 119
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Opinions are one thing, but there are apparently some here who believe that every claim of fact made in a forum post must be rigorously defended with adequate and authoritative sources.

That's why I don't claim things I can't defend. 

• Reply 52 of 119

Quote:

You're the one who started with personal attacks against me and acted as though I were not entitled to my opinions. If you don't like what I post, there's no need for personal attacks - you just don't have to read my posts.

So stop your whining.

Personal attacks?

OFFS!  image

Welcome to AI...

• Reply 53 of 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

This is where we might expect ankleskater, stelligent, or anonymouse to voice their requirements for citations in forum posts, but it seems they're busy or missed your post so in their absence kindly allow me:

Where has it been documented (and please keep in mind that ankleskater will only accept "an authoritative citation") that Google pays people to post FUD in forums?

Thanks in advance on their behalf.

This ought to be obvious, but, the level of proof required depends on the claims being made.

For example, a general claim that Google Maps is better than Apple Maps, requires some objective evidence to support the assertion. So far, no one has offered anything but anecdotal evidence involving tiny data sets.

A claim that one prefers Google Maps because one has had better luck with it in one's are, a) isn't an overreaching claim and b) is an expression of preference, and thus, a few local examples suffice to illustrate one's point.

The problem with the arguments asserting the overall superiority of Google Maps are twofold. First, due to publicity, including faked up examples from Google itself, people are actively looking for any error they can find in Apple Maps to jump on the me too bandwagon. Google Maps isn't receiving the same scrutiny, so these reports tend to be one-sided, thus invalidating them as evidence of actual superiority because of inherent bias in the data. Secondly, the only reasonably objective study that I'm aware of, a link to which has been posted in these forums multiple times, Google doesn't show any sort of advantage of rate of accuracy. The primary difference found between them was that Apple Maps won't return a result if it doesn't find one that makes sense contextually, whereas Google Maps will almost always return a result, no matter how fantastic it is.

If you are going to make generalized claims, you ought to be able to point to properly supporting data, not data that is inherently biased and at most supports claims of specific locale and personal preference. A Chinese forum might be claiming that Apple Maps is far superior to Google Maps in all respects, based on their local experience, but that wouldn't support a generalized claim either.

Lastly, regarding the existence of Google astroturfers and shills, as opposed to simply Android enthusiasts and trolls who don't really give a damn but adopt the Android position here simply because it's an Apple-centric forum, it is well known that Google spends a significant amount of money on lobbying of all sorts and that they go to great lengths to shape public perception on issues that affect them. Furthermore, it is also known that they frequently hire third party PR firms to astroturf for them (see Google Chrome PR scandal). These facts, combined with the company's history of dishonesty, deception, and other questionable or illegal business practices, would require someone not to be entirely naive to not suspect the presence of paid Google shills on many Internet forums. And they certainly wouldn't be the first company to do this, it's a common practice. When you then see individuals engaged in behavior that smells like shilling, it's not unreasonable to conclude that they might be a shill. When that behavior is repeated over many months, it reinforces that conclusion. You can insist that we show their W-2s or bank statements as proof, but we all know that isn't going to happen. So, we can either pretend they aren't shills, or we can trust our inferences. It's entirely, and most, reasonable to do the latter.

And, fyi, I don't think you are a paid shill, mainly because you aren't good enough to be a paid shill. You're either simply an enthusiast or a troll, and I haven't decided which.

• Reply 54 of 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's why I don't claim things I can't defend. 

More irony.

Although, in fairness, the things he can't defend, lately, when he starts to get called on them, he claims they were just opinions.

• Reply 55 of 119

deleted

• Reply 56 of 119

Quote:

So stop your whining.

Ha! personal attack? Asking you to just cool off and enjoy the product is personal attack?

OK... what ever man... I enjoy the apple products and also use google products I choose them depending on my needs. I own both stocks. I dont believe stocks go up and down on what bloggers say. I really dont understand how wall street takes prices up and down, that is a whole different discussion. (BTW, recent purchase of AAPL stock is below water, but I dont worry that for now)

I have full confidence in Tim Cook, he did the right thing by issuing apology and firing the guy. I believe it is the right way to take care of your customers. It also shows what is the bar mgmt at Apple sets for itself. 

Then again if you want to believe that it is all google's PR play, you are free to believe that and post what you want. Enjoy! 

• Reply 57 of 119
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sector7g wrote: »
    i live in illinois, i wouldnt even know there was a problem with apple maps if the media wasnt shoving it down my throat, i like it, it looks nice its never lead me wrong, and while muli tasking it turns the status bar into directions that update live, googles ad riddled maps does not do that

That is because you have actually used it. I highly doubt that these pundits have every actually used Apple maps to get somewhere new, if they had they would have found it to be very useful. My suspicions are that they expect a maps app to hold their hands for everything but navigation needs.

There is also this reality that the pundits need to demonstrate indepence so they pick on an app that has gotten bad reviews from time to time.
  • Reply 58 of 119
    pfisher wrote: »

I searched the other day for Chinese restaurants in my area. Apple Maps brought up Chinese AND teriyaki places.

Hello?

And if they rely on Foursquare to augment their data, God help Apple. I tried out Foursquare and it is sadly incomplete and a bit of a joke.

Google Maps (Apple app with Google data) has been my go-to app for years. It's very reliable. And transit information? Traffic information? It's great.

(Apple user 32 years)

Searching for restaurants has nothing to do with what a maps app should be. For that you have Siri or the web.

This is the problem with many people they are using the wrong app for the functionality they want.
  • Reply 59 of 119
    solipsismx wrote: »

If I chose what to buy based from company only after making sure I agreed with every religious view held by their employees I'd never buy anything. I think it's a foolish position for their CEO to take (and one that I think won't last for more than a couple years) but he has the right to make it and I am glad I live in a country where free speech is allowed, no matter how myopic and foolish I might think it is. Now if he was refusing to serve gays or going against the law when it comes to honouring same sex unions on their insurance that would be different, but he's not. We all have a right to our dumb opinions and everyone else has the right to comment on those dumb opinions.

I don't live anywhere near a Chik-fil-A but when I know I'll be driving by one I do make a point to hit the drive thru.

I'm not religious at all but frankly I'm glad this guy took a stand against gay marriage. The problem isn't one of religious morality but the morality of giving people with mental defects privileges they don't deserve. Obviously one can't change the circumstances of their birth but society shouldn't be allowing such people to express themselves any damn way they please.
  • Reply 60 of 119

SO. SIRI, THEN.image