Siri's reliance on Google cut in half with iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 61 of 119
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How about something more than your opinion? So far, no one has provided evidence that Apple Maps returns incorrect information more frequently than Google Maps. This is just one of those things that people start believing when it's repeated often enough.

Interestingly, they did think it was important to provide data on the Siri v Google Now issue. So why not provide data on Apple Maps v Google Maps?

Well, there is a systematic 'bug' in Apple map that it cannot find addresses where words like 'Street' or 'Road' are abbreviated (it just ignores any street information and just finds the city). I don't know how many languages and countries are affected by this, but in countries where this bug shows up, Apple maps is objectively worse than Google maps, simply because abbreviated addresses are used in so many use cases.

• Reply 62 of 119
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Searching for restaurants has nothing to do with what a maps app should be. For that you have Siri or the web.

This is the problem with many people they are using the wrong app for the functionality they want.

Me: Siri please find any Peruvian style restaurants near me.

Siri: Sorry M..., I cannot look for restaurants in Peru. (BTW I am not anywhere close to Peru)

However when searching on Google maps for Peruvian restaurants it finds and plots all of them correctly on the map for my Central American town.

Finding restaurants seems like a reasonable thing to expect a map to do since you already have it open to explore your new location.

The map I posted earlier clearly shows that Apple and Siri know nothing about my city of 30,000 people which was established 102 years ago and is home to more than 2,500 American residents and is famous as a tourist destination. If Apple can't even find the city I doubt they would be much help finding a restaurant.

• Reply 63 of 119
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    One thing this thread highlights is that Apples approach to solving problems is different than Googles. When you search for a POI with Siri you aren't using maps, Siri might return a map but maps isn't the app doing the search. Frankly this is a far smarter approach than using Google maps as it allows Apple maps to be focused on maps and navigation which it does very well. I really don't know why somebody would reach for a maps app in the first place if they where looking for restaurants, that is the function of a web browser. In any event what gets returned in a search is highly dependent upon how you ask the question so any complaints about search results should first start with a look in the mirror.

This issue with search results really has nothing to do with any of the maps apps. Anybody that has spent even a few moments of time tracking down info on Google should grasp how important it is to get your phrasing right. So by this measure any discussion about a maps ability to search is bogus to some extent. Why? Because of the human factor combined with the apps search engines need to guess a bit at what you want. Beyond that no database is ever perfect.
  • Reply 64 of 119
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I'm not religious at all but frankly I'm glad this guy took a stand against gay marriage. The problem isn't one of religious morality but the morality of giving people with mental defects privileges they don't deserve. Obviously one can't change the circumstances of their birth but society shouldn't be allowing such people to express themselves any damn way they please.

Dude, that's just fucked up!
  • Reply 65 of 119
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What part of "facts" do you not understand? An opinion that is repeated 10,000 times is still an opinion.

Apple Maps has x errors.

Google Maps has y errors.

Let me know when you have evidence that x is significantly greater than y. So far, no one has provided any.

I don't know. I am simply pointing out that no one has yet proven the oft-repeated claim that Apple Maps is inferior.

If we have two dozen mainstream reviewers (ie, excluding those who just write a 'review' when they have something unexpected to report) all report that Google maps has noticeably more POI in their searches than this is something very likely to be true for geographical areas they covered.

• Reply 66 of 119

Quote:

One thing this thread highlights is that Apples approach to solving problems is different than Googles. When you search for a POI with Siri you aren't using maps, Siri might return a map but maps isn't the app doing the search. Frankly this is a far smarter approach than using Google maps as it allows Apple maps to be focused on maps and navigation which it does very well. I really don't know why somebody would reach for a maps app in the first place if they where looking for restaurants, that is the function of a web browser. In any event what gets returned in a search is highly dependent upon how you ask the question so any complaints about search results should first start with a look in the mirror.

This issue with search results really has nothing to do with any of the maps apps. Anybody that has spent even a few moments of time tracking down info on Google should grasp how important it is to get your phrasing right. So by this measure any discussion about a maps ability to search is bogus to some extent. Why? Because of the human factor combined with the apps search engines need to guess a bit at what you want. Beyond that no database is ever perfect.

Yet when iPhone first came out finding restaurants on the map was one of the highlighted features used in TV ads and it used to work very well. Now you say it should not be used for such. Hmm? Search and maps are very much intertwined and that is why Google Maps' data provides such rich POI information worldwide.

• Reply 67 of 119
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [CENTER][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/18150/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
    [I][SIZE=2](click image for full size view)[/SIZE][/I][/CENTER]
  • Reply 68 of 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

In my brief review of the search results for the term you suggested, "Google Chrome PR scandal", I found reference only to paid bloggers and inappropriate positioning of Chrome among search results, but I missed any source that provide proof of the specific claim you're defending here, that Google pays people to troll forums.

Google uses astroturfing campaigns. We know this. the got caught trying to promote Chrome that way. I think that is all the proof we need to know that they use this technique to control PR. Frankly, it's a bit silly, given everything else we know about Google, to think it stops there. It's an entirely reasonable conclusion that they pay shills to post here, and any number of other sites. There are posters here, given that entirely reasonable conclusion, who, given their style, their content, the topics they post on, and so on, it's entirely reasonable to conclude they are part of this astroturfing PR machine.

You aren't one of them, though, so relax. 

• Reply 69 of 119
    mstone wrote: »

Siri: Sorry M..., I cannot look for restaurants in Peru. (BTW I am not anywhere close to Peru)
    Works for me. Simply ask Siri to look for a Peruvian style restaurant! It found one in Buffalo NY (bit of a drive) within seconds. Are you certain you asked for Peruvian "style" restaurants?

However when searching on Google maps for Peruvian restaurants it finds and plots all of them correctly on the map for my Central American town.
    Would you not be better off searching for Peruvian restaurants via a web browser where upon you could do a deeper inspection of offerings. For me the last thing I'm worried about with respect to a restaurant is where it is located (with in reason). Personally my tastes are more Thai but still if I'm looking for a restaurant I want to be able to compare them a bit.
    Finding restaurants seems like a reasonable thing to expect a map to do since you already have it open to explore your new location.
    It has nothing to do with what a maps app should be doing for you. Looking for a restaurant is a searching function. Maybe my approach to this is different due to different biases so let's step away from restaurants for a bit. Let's say you are looking for a part, say a ball bearing for a tractor, skate board or whatever, is it realistic to pick up a maps app to chase down something like this or does it make more sense to use the web? More so do you map out the business in question before you even call them to see if they have any in stock? For me a maps app is the last place I'd go in the chain of events leading up to doing business. Finding a restaurant isn't much different, the last thing I'd worry about is directions.
    The map I posted earlier clearly shows that Apple and Siri know nothing about my city of 30,000 people which was established 102 years ago and is home to more than 2,500 American residents and is famous as a tourist destination. If Apple can't even find the city I doubt they would be much help finding a restaurant.
    Are you sure the problem is with Siri and not the user? I'm not trying to be a pain here at all but the issue you indicated with finding Peruvian restaurants doesn't exist. Siri returned an answer for me even if the resultant is an hour or more away. You may argue that it should find a closer restaurant which frankly I don't even know if such exists. However who's responsibility is it to make sure their restaurants are properly listed in the relevant databases? It certainly isn't Apples. Just because you can put fingers to keyboard and blame Apple doesn't mean your comment is valid.
  • Reply 70 of 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Google uses astroturfing campaigns. We know this. the got caught trying to promote Chrome that way. I think that is all the proof we need to know that they use this technique to control PR. Frankly, it's a bit silly, given everything else we know about Google, to think it stops there. It's an entirely reasonable conclusion that they pay shills to post here, and any number of other sites. There are posters here, given that entirely reasonable conclusion, who, given their style, their content, the topics they post on, and so on, it's entirely reasonable to conclude they are part of this astroturfing PR machine.

You aren't one of them, though, so relax. 

I would argue that likewise in Washington there is a lot of political corruption when it comes to military contracts and lobbying but when defense is really important which army are you going to depend on? Same with Google. They may be less than ethical in many respects but when you need really fast and accurate search results and time is of the essence, which search engine are you going to depend on? I hear some radical Republicans saying they are considering denouncing their US citizenship just because Obama was reelected. A few people will choose to boycott Google and use an inferior search engine just because Google copied iOS. To each their own, I still rely solely on Google for search and maps and Apple for pretty much everything else. 

• Reply 71 of 119
    Apple vs. Google maps is all based on what maps each have acquired. Google -- from what I've heard -- has invested over $4 billion and many years. Apple has invested a very small fraction of that and played catchup in a year.

I've heard that in China -- the Apple's maps rock. So it's all very location specific, so you are going to get a lot of anecdotes. What happens is if the media points something out, people say; "Yeah, I remember getting bad restaurants in San Fran." A real analysis would have to take dozens if not hundreds of locations and random sample the data.

My guess is that for MOST places, Google maps will be better -- it's just they've had more time to correct mistakes and probably didn't give that info to anyone else.

Apple had to run their own Map device, because Point of Interest is the future of advertising and capitalizing on maps -- it's the future "must have" capability, and Apple couldn't let Google own the golden app on it's platform as we all know it would run flawlessly on Android and have a "Microsoft like" experience on iOS. Google, as they should, wanted to charge for turn-by-turn, and that's a selling point for a phone these days -- so whether Apple wanted to or not, they had to get into mapping.

The simple fact that Apple has an alternative, means that Google Maps will compete to run great on the iOS -- the consumer wins. You can have BOTH and use them. They will probably close the distance on quality over time, and it will be neck and neck for years.

So it doesn't matter that much which one is better.
  • Reply 72 of 119
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 73 of 119

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Works for me. Simply ask Siri to look for a Peruvian style restaurant! It found one in Buffalo NY (bit of a drive) within seconds. Are you certain you asked for Peruvian "style" restaurants?

Quote:

Would you not be better off searching for Peruvian restaurants via a web browser where upon you could do a deeper inspection of offerings. For me the last thing I'm worried about with respect to a restaurant is where it is located (with in reason). Personally my tastes are more Thai but still if I'm looking for a restaurant I want to be able to compare them a bit.

Quote:

It has nothing to do with what a maps app should be doing for you. Looking for a restaurant is a searching function. Maybe my approach to this is different due to different biases so let's step away from restaurants for a bit. Let's say you are looking for a part, say a ball bearing for a tractor, skate board or whatever, is it realistic to pick up a maps app to chase down something like this or does it make more sense to use the web? More so do you map out the business in question before you even call them to see if they have any in stock? For me a maps app is the last place I'd go in the chain of events leading up to doing business. Finding a restaurant isn't much different, the last thing I'd worry about is directions.

Quote:

Are you sure the problem is with Siri and not the user? I'm not trying to be a pain here at all but the issue you indicated with finding Peruvian restaurants doesn't exist. Siri returned an answer for me even if the resultant is an hour or more away. You may argue that it should find a closer restaurant which frankly I don't even know if such exists. However who's responsibility is it to make sure their restaurants are properly listed in the relevant databases? It certainly isn't Apples. Just because you can put fingers to keyboard and blame Apple doesn't mean your comment is valid.

Dude you clearly missed the point. I asked Siri to find one near me, hence maps and location are involved in the search. There exist three at least in my town. She bailed entirely because I am not in the US. Google doesn't care where I am. If they have the data they display it which is what I want maps to do. Google gets it Apple not so much.

• Reply 74 of 119

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The Ragosta claim you were defending was specifically about paying people to post in forums.  Your post in this tiny corner of the Internet isn't proof of that, or even evidence.

Overall, here, or a specific type of post here?

• Reply 75 of 119

deleted

• Reply 76 of 119
    mstone wrote: »
    wizard69 wrote: »

Yet when iPhone first came out finding restaurants on the map was one of the highlighted features used in TV ads and it used to work very well. Now you say it should not be used for such. Hmm? Search and maps are very much intertwined and that is why Google Maps' data provides such rich POI information worldwide.

Systems evolve! Today it would make more sense to fire up Siri to do the searching for you. I've actually been playing with this a bit since responding to the quote about Peruvian restaurants and it works very well. Of course search and maps are intertwined, they just don't need to be the same app. The problem with searches from maps is that you get a trivial amount of information so it isn't really useful unless you are looking for chain restaurants or known establishments. If you are looking for a new experience you still need to revert to a web browser to get the details.

In the end I just don't see search in a maps app as being anything more than a rudimentary service. There really is no point in rolling in a full browser into maps type apps because tablets and cell phones already come with very good web browsers. In any event maps are the last thing I'd worry about when looking for a restaurant, like I've pointed out before selecting the restaurant and making reservations comes before even thinking about how to get there. At that point all I really need for maps to do is to route me to an address.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting old, but if I'm going to the trouble of searching for a new restaurant I'm simply not going to go to the closest one that maps pops up. Shocking as it may be I will take some time to choose and maybe even get additional input if you know what I mean. Search in maps doesn't do it for me, not when looking for something new. If I'm looking for something old or well known then obviously maps aren't needed.

Beyond all of that no one has proven that Google does a better job searching for restaurants than Apple. In fact many examples have been posted indicating that Apple & Yelp are doing a better job. Beyond all of that if your favorite restaurant doesn't show up in an search on Apples system who's fault is that? I think this is what teaks me more than anything is that people blame Apple for their favorite restaurants not taking care of their advertising and promotion activities. Sorry folks but it isn't Apples responsibility to get a restaurant properly listed on Yelp.
  • Reply 77 of 119

I just mean that we have indeed had posts by people paid by their companies to laud their own products before.

• Reply 78 of 119

deleted

• Reply 79 of 119
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I just mean that we have indeed had posts by people paid by their companies to laud their own products before.

I'm sure it happens. I've not seen anything that clearly says Google does that here. I don't like seeing such an accusation without proof because that's the first stage of how heresay becomes established fact.

I know of two cases where an employee of a given company posted here, but I don't think they were necessarily paid to do so.
  • Reply 80 of 119

Quote:

I don't know, maybe I'm getting old, but if I'm going to the trouble of searching for a new restaurant I'm simply not going to go to the closest one that maps pops up. Shocking as it may be I will take some time to choose and maybe even get additional input if you know what I mean. Search in maps doesn't do it for me, not when looking for something new. If I'm looking for something old or well known then obviously maps aren't needed.

See that is the advantage that Google offers. The POI has a link so you can go to the web and even read reviews right in the map app. If Apple doesn't even offer a relationship between the POI or web link you are stuck shuffling back and forth between two applications. And since your are advocating web search you are back to Google anyway. The reason Siri would not find a restaurant for me is that the closest Peruvian restaurant she likely knows about is in Los Angeles California which is a 6 hour flight from here, so rather than tell me that which would be embarrassing to say the least, she just makes up some bull shit that she can't search for restaurants in Peru.