CES 2013 expected to showcase 'embarrassingly large' smartphones

Comments

• Reply 81 of 213
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I know a lot of people that have the 4.7" phones and it doesn't seem to be a problem. It might be if they keep trying to get larger.
    I don't hold my phone to my face anymore when making or taking calls, if that's what you mean "hold it like a phone". I've been using Bluetooth headphones for a couple years now. I find it's a lot more comfortable than holding a brick to my face, however small and light it may be, and it sounds a lot better too. Currently, my "brick" is an iPhone 4.
    I wonder to what degree that is true. I know quite a few people that make plenty of calls with smart phones.

I recently went from a 3.5 inch to a4.7 inch phone. It did feel awkward for the first few days, but after about a week, I didn't notice the increase in size anymore.

I've found that most of the complaints people have about large phone to be false. I wear khakis and dress pants most days and have no issue slipping the phone into my pockets.

I can operate the phone with no issue using one hand; granted I have to shift it a bit to reach the far top corner, but ive never found a reason to have to do that. I can reach the top center easily, and I only do that to swipe down notifications anyways.

Im absolutely comfortable holding the phone up to my ear. This hasn't been a issue from day 1.

Honestly I was one of those that thought 4.0 inches was the perfect size and anything bigger than 4.3 would be unusable. I was dead wrong.

Regarding the 5 inch screens, the other party of those rumors is that it is with an edge to d edge screen, at least on the Samsung side. That should allow it to fit in the same footprint as a4.7 or so, so I think they will be perfectly usable, if true, of course.
  • Reply 82 of 213
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    What's really funny is all the iPhone detractors who criticized the original iPhone when it came out, as being too big - with comments like "who on earth is going to hold something that big up to their ear?" Well, back at ya!
  • Reply 83 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

What's really funny is all the iPhone detractors who criticized the original iPhone when it came out, as being too big - with comments like "who on earth is going to hold something that big up to their ear?" Well, back at ya!

So you're saying everyone is always wrong, regardless of the size. That's an interesting viewpoint, in that it's just outright wrong.

• Reply 84 of 213
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So if it diminishes usability, diminishes quality, increases weight, increases physical size… you want one. Because you want one. 

Good thing Apple doesn't operate on the "make it because make it" philosophy.

It would increase usability for people that want a larger display. This is Apple we are talking about so the quality would be the same on any size phone they make. Android companies are able to make 5" phones that weigh less than the iPhone 5, are you saying Apple is unable to ever decrease the weight of their phones in future models? Sure it would increase the size, but why is this necessarily a bad thing? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

You can see by your self the downside of having multiple size and resolution when come to create Apps. With the iPad Mini it was easy to accommodate existing Apps, but on a 4in and 5in screen it become a nightmare of platforms fragmentation like it is on Android where majority of Androids Apps doesn't use well the screen area on Phablet and Tablet.

Devices mature over time and with that comes new display resolutions. Where there is a will there is a way. If anyone can make the transition as smooth as possible for app developers it is Apple. Conversely, most app developers already make apps for both platforms and already are used to dealing with a dozen or more resolutions. Would one more really be the straw that broke the camel's back? Apple has proven time and time again they will do what they want regardless of developer or customer input. If they decide to make a larger phone I doubt they will give too much weight to how this will effect developers. But I would also think Apple are smart enough to work with the developers to make it smooth transition. Perhaps the iPad Mini 2 and a larger iPhone could share the same resolution size. I think 1920x1080 would be perfect for both. 

• Reply 85 of 213

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

This is Apple we are talking about so the quality would be the same on any size phone they make.

Wait, are you talking build quality? Sorry, I meant UX (quality of experience). Should have just said that. 

• Reply 86 of 213
    So if it diminishes usability, diminishes quality, increases weight, increases physical size… you want one. Because you want one. 

Good thing Apple doesn't operate on the "make it because make it" philosophy.

My god... you're right.

3.5" 4" is the only size for a smartphone.

Apple should never change anything, right?
  • Reply 87 of 213
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

I bought a couple of days ago an HTC One X with a 4.7 inch screen for someone else. I had to learn how to use it and configure it, so I use it a couple of days. In a word the Android OS sucks! I don't like it. It's ugly, I can not find apps that I need. Google Play store is a mess, full of crappy apps. The OS is confusing, but at least it's functional. But the screen man, THE SCREEN! The screen is BIG, it's HUGE, it's AMAZING! I put side by side my iPhone 4 and this HTC and the useful area of the screen is almost double! Unbelievable! I'm in love with this phone! Now, I just can not stand my tiny iPhone 4. And I'm thinking, why oh why doesn't Apple make an iPhone with a big screen??? I want an iPhone with a big screen! WHY doesn't Apple want to take my MONEY!?! What's wrong with Apple??? Are they stupid, or what???

• Reply 88 of 213
    There was nothing wrong with the size/format of the original iPhone. It was a good balance between functionality and portability - it still works and you can put it in your pocket. It's ridiculous that the whole market has been hijacked by some pubescent fad that says a stoopidly large 'mobile' phone is cool.
    It's just not good design and as such Apple should not go there.
  • Reply 89 of 213
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Dear Apple!

1. Please do not increase the case size again (iPhone-5 is already too big as it does not fit a shirt pocket!)

2. Get rid of the Home button finally (replace with gesture control, maybe utilizing the back side) 

3. Make the screen edge-to-edge  (IGZO should come to the rescue)

4. Above would be sufficient to make the screen as 5" in diagonal, 1920x1080 (as usual, center the legacy apps in the middle until they adapt)

• Reply 90 of 213
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

[...] I can't see someone holding even the small iPad up to their ear. Of course, with change, the way we talk on a phone will change. Many people use Bluetooth headsets/earbuds so the change has already happened.

I think you're right. I can't even remember the last time I held a phone to my ear. My usage pattern is 90% headset, 10% speakerphone.

• Reply 91 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

facetime.

Unfortunately not everyone with whom I have to communicate has that capability. My dad, government agencies, retail stores...

• Reply 92 of 213
    LTE iMac! 27 inches of phone, at your fingertips.
  • Reply 93 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

On a side note, everyone credits Samsung for the "phablet," but it was Dell who was first, almost a year before the Galaxy Note. No one bought it.

Maybe nobody knew about them. I didn't know Dell even made a phone at all. Based on the discussion around here, I don't think a lot of others did either.

• Reply 94 of 213

Actually I think Apple should make 2 new models of iPhone:

The first one should be a 4.5" screen the same resolution as the iPhone 5.  This will make the images on the screen a bit larger for people who have trouble seeing the tiny tiny text on the current models.  This can be done without significantly increasing the overall size of the device (smaller bezels).

The second should be a 3" screen with the same resolution as the 1st couple of generations of iPhone.  This would allow for a smaller phone when everyone else is going bigger, and the resolution would be ideal for the physical size.  Call it an iPhone mini.

In all, Apple would then have a broad range of choices for customers: 3", 3.5", 4", and 4.5".  Multiple colors, aluminum construction like iPad mini.

• Reply 95 of 213
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Wait, are you talking build quality? Sorry, I meant UX (quality of experience). Should have just said that. 

I meant both. Build quality is a given. User experience will be superior for people that want a larger screen and the same applies for people happy with a 3.5" or 4" iPhone would continue to buy those models to meet their needs. If this were a tiny niche market that would be one thing, but it isn't. Few people thought a year ago the best selling iPad would be a 7.9" model with a relatively poor resolution of 1024 by 768 with a paltry 164 PPI, but it is. 

There is no such thing as a perfect phone. Everyone has to make some compromise when they choose a phone. Until now Apple has taken that ability to choose out of our hands and have told us take it or leave it. That will only work for so long and only while there was no viable alternatives. Android phones used to suck in terms of hardware and the operating system so Apple was relatively safe. But Google and the phone makers have addressed most if not all of those complaints and will give Apple a run for their money in 2013. 

• Reply 96 of 213

Quote:

So you're saying everyone is always wrong, regardless of the size. That's an interesting viewpoint, in that it's just outright wrong.

No, that's not what I said.  Try reading it again.  I guess you missed the irony of people who complained about iPhone size buying Android phones 1" or larger than the original iPhone.

• Reply 97 of 213

Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

I guess you missed the irony of people who complained about iPhone size buying Android phones 1" or larger than the original iPhone.

1" can mean the difference between a lot of things. Particularly in tech. My point stands: a line must be drawn.

• Reply 98 of 213
    mrr wrote: »
    A friend of mine just got the Galaxy Note 2 and I have to say - I just love the size format!
    All of a sudden, my iPhone 5 seems like some kind of MICRO phone.
    I use my iPhone 5 nearly non stop but mostly for data and the extra size would be so much nicer! The Galaxy Note 2 not too big (bigger is better right?) but the most important thing is that it still -fits in my pocket- just fine and *THAT* is the important thing. The iPad Mini is just not pocketable.
    The down side of the Galaxy is of course the software.
    I am all for this size factor (and even though it is not likely that Apple will adopt this since they just released the Mini) I for one hope they do, sooner rather than later.

Odd that the fashionable trend 10 years ago was to make phones smaller and thinner. The assumption at the time was that the most desirable phones would eventually be as tiny as the one used by Derek Zoolander in the 2001 movie of the same title. Strange that now people claim making phones into tablets is so hot. I guess it's some kind of geek pride.
  • Reply 99 of 213
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Devices mature over time and with that comes new display resolutions. Where there is a will there is a way. If anyone can make the transition as smooth as possible for app developers it is Apple. Conversely, most app developers already make apps for both platforms and already are used to dealing with a dozen or more resolutions. Would one more really be the straw that broke the camel's back? Apple has proven time and time again they will do what they want regardless of developer or customer input. If they decide to make a larger phone I doubt they will give too much weight to how this will effect developers. But I would also think Apple are smart enough to work with the developers to make it smooth transition. Perhaps the iPad Mini 2 and a larger iPhone could share the same resolution size. I think 1920x1080 would be perfect for both. 

You're thinking is very PC centric where screen resolution and size have pretty little impact on functionality.  Because of the touch input the size of the UI got a lot to do with the usability, you can't just take an iPad apps and running it on a 4 or 5 in screen without pencil sharpen your finger and the opposite of taking an apps made for a 3.5 in screen and put it on a bigger screen doesn't add much to usability and add to the ugliness of overblown UI.

Beside I never understand the usefulness of 1080p resolution beside viewing video, on desktop computer I much prefer 16:10 or even 4:3 ratio than 16:9 

• Reply 100 of 213
    v5v wrote: »
    Maybe nobody knew about them. I didn't know Dell even made a phone at all. Based on the discussion around here, I don't think a lot of others did either.
    Funny, I did. They ran TV ads continuously for that tablet-phone for a while. The one where the guy and the girl are using the GPS and maps to locate each other. I guess everyone thought the product was a tablet and not a phone.