CES 2013 expected to showcase 'embarrassingly large' smartphones

Comments

• Reply 141 of 213
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Hahaha comical image

Which begs the question --  which is funnier, a phone that's extra big or one that's extra small?   image

Heck, remember just a few years ago, when many fans predicted an iPhone Mini ?    No one guessed back then that the next iPhone change would be to a bigger screen!

• Reply 142 of 213

my buddy's mother makes $88 every hour on the internet. She has been out of work for 8 months but last month her income was $20667 just working on the internet for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more www.Great70.c0m

• Reply 143 of 213
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Indeed.  But if you look into the sales figures you will find that despite the press they get, phones over 4.5" in size are fairly rare.  The large phones are prominent in advertising and in web discussions among tech geeks, but they aren't actually a large part of sales.  Check it out and you will find that even if you look exclusively at Android phones, the majority are iPhone sized by far, and the larger ones don't sell as much as people assume they do.  

*Most* phones (even Android phones) are still 4.5" or less even after several years of the industry pushing this "big ass phone" stuff on us.  It's arguable that large phones are neither super-popular, nor anything more than a fad. I wouldn't say Apple will never make a phone in this size, but it's unlikely to happen soon.  

At the very least, you will see phones and tablets from Apple that support styluses before you will see the debut of a "phablet."
    Stylus support is the main trigger for more and different iOS device sizes.  Once they have that, you might then see larger and smaller devices than the current three we have now. 

Anyone foolish enough to think that Apple is coming out with a phablet this year or even next, is probably foolish enough to believe that rot about Apple making "smart watches" also.  
    Neither are going to happen.   :rolleyes:

I'm glad someone said it. Apple and Samsung don't divulge information on which device models sell best, so where do people get this idea that massive phones are selling by the millions? It's entirely possible that the largest share of Android devices belongs to the smaller phones. That would certainly explain why 74% of the smartphone profits end up in Apple's coffers.

And I agree: the next big change for Apple will be the addition of the stylus and handwriting recognition. That's when we'll probably see a wider screen.
  • Reply 144 of 213
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    I would love an iPad or iPad Mini type of device, especially a Mini, that had a phone option. I cannot hear on my iPhone 5. I could not hear well on my iPhone 4 either. As an Apple fan, I hate to make this negative comment, but my flip phones worked better as phones. By the way, isn't the iPhone supposed to be a phone first ?

This is not bad hearing. I have great audio tests and the MD.
  • Reply 145 of 213
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Like someone has already state about vision and font size, and in my previous post in some other thread as well, there are certain languages, culture and areas where a bigger phone would be better.

There is a 11" and a 13" Macbook Air, i dont see why there cant be two size for iPhone as well. There will never be a one size fits all solution.

Apple already has the BEST one handed Phone devices, ( actually i would argue the iPhone 4S was slightly better for one hand ), how about a two handed devices? 

( Actually i just record Apple mentioning how iPad Mini is also a one handed devices as well..........  )

For Chinese, or any other type of languages that has complex fonts, larger fonts is much needed. Added with the general poorer visions of users.

And NO, the Fonts size solution, large text does not work. It feels everything are out of scale. 

I just wish Apple had make the iPhone 3.8" and a 4.5". Same Resolution, just PPI is different.

Tablet is both a Content Creation and Consumption devices. I am not so sure on Content creation part on a 5 - 6 inch devices....

• Reply 146 of 213
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    rayz wrote:
    the next big change for Apple will be the addition of the stylus and handwriting recognition. That's when we'll probably see a wider screen.

They really just need to make your finger behave like a stylus. With a 3D sensor like LEAP, they can detect your finger above the screen. You can see that here:

Say someone comes to the door with a package you need to sign for, they just turn the screen to face you and you just sign your name in mid-air with your finger. If it had a fingerprint scanner of course that would be easier, maybe face detection or a retinal scanner.

Styluses need holders and there is no way Apple will ever compromise that space for a writing stick.

Tactile feedback is another feature I expect to crop up. Imagine the game experiences you'll get being able to feel different types of surfaces. These things I'd expect in the iPhone 6 in 2014 iOS 8 and then they'll have a faster version of that in 2015 iOS 9. By 2016, if they double the performance year on year, phones and iPads will be as powerful as today's desktops and could have 2GB or more of RAM. Perhaps they'll allow you to connect iPads to computer displays and be able to use them as desktop-like machines (iOS X?).

They don't have to have a keyboard/mouse or pointer because you can just sit the tablet flat on the desk in front of the display and have the 3D sensor and capacitive screen for control without looking at the tablet. Internet cafes will simply be BYOD (bring your own device) and you just plug them into a display or use wireless display connection - this is safer for data protection as you are just using your own device.

I still like the idea that Google Glasses aims to satisfy, which is having no real display at all in which case the display size is irrelevant. They can overlay images into your normal vision. This is like what you'd see in Deus Ex Human Revolution or Terminator where objects are identified and highlighted:

You could be sitting on a plane and have a virtual 30" display in front of you and nobody would know. Current tech makes this tricky but a tiny display/projector wuld use much less power than a smartphone display and in a few years, the power draw of the components can be a fraction of what they are now for current performance. If they can fit a battery into the legs of the glasses with a small APU and projector, future smartphones might look like this:

I know people say that everyone wearing glasses (or really just a headband) is not ideal but you wouldn't have to wear them all the time, just when you need to use the device. You still need to take a smartphone out of your pocket. It's not such a big problem putting a pair of glasses on. It's automatically hands-free while driving. Showing someone else what you're looking at is harder but you rarely need to do that with a phone and they can have a wireless link capability.

If they can figure out how to power/charge the device from your body heat and movement, even better.
  • Reply 147 of 213
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

The elephant in the room that few want to talk about is that the largest group of smart phone customers are the 35-45 year old group. And the over 45 group are also a very large segment of the contract smart phone market as well which makes sense given that it can cost $100  or more per month for services and even with family plans it can be expensive. 

Not all of this older group have poor vision, but it certainly is a major factor.  After 40 it makes it harder to focus up close and you need to hold your smart phone a little farther away. This is when a larger display can really help. As more and more over 40 iPhone users get to play with their friends or family members Android phones and see just how much easier it is to read and see objects on the display, this could be a real problem for Apple. Increasing text size is not really a solution because then it looks disproportionately large and it also only works on text messages and email but not the apps people need to use. 

I am not saying that only older people with poor vision want larger displays. There are plenty of younger people with perfect vision that also are attracted to it for other reasons. But it seems silly to assert that in 2013 one company can hope to continue to gain market share with a one size solution. 5 or 6 years ago it worked because frankly the competition just plain sucked. The iPhone was leaps and bounds ahead. This is no longer true and it is time for Apple to sell a second model iPhone. Call it the iPhone Pro, iPhone HD, or whatever they want, but they need to compete in this space or risk losing tens of millions of current and future customers.  

• Reply 148 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The elephant in the room that few want to talk about is that the largest group of smart phone customers are the 35-45 year old group. And the over 45 group are also a very large segment of the contract smart phone market as well which makes sense given that it can cost $100  or more per month for services and even with family plans it can be expensive. 

Not all of this older group have poor vision, but it certainly is a major factor.  After 40 it makes it harder to focus up close and you need to hold your smart phone a little farther away. This is when a larger display can really help. As more and more over 40 iPhone users get to play with their friends or family members Android phones and see just how much easier it is to read and see objects on the display, this could be a real problem for Apple. Increasing text size is not really a solution because then it looks disproportionately large and it also only works on text messages and email but not the apps people need to use. 

I am not saying that only older people with poor vision want larger displays. There are plenty of younger people with perfect vision that also are attracted to it for other reasons. But it seems silly to assert that in 2013 one company can hope to continue to gain market share with a one size solution. 5 or 6 years ago it worked because frankly the competition just plain sucked. The iPhone was leaps and bounds ahead. This is no longer true and it is time for Apple to sell a second model iPhone. Call it the iPhone Pro, iPhone HD, or whatever they want, but they need to compete in this space or risk losing tens of millions of current and future customers.  

Well, my Wife and I are certainly not young. Our eyesight aint that great. I gave my Wife a 4S as a present in 2011. Since then she has had the opportunity to look at a few Android phones. Regardless of the size of the screen she thought they felt cheap and she liked the feel of the 4S in her hand. Remembering of course that the majority of women have smaller hands.

So... what I am saying is that in direct proportion to failing eyesight is declining strength in the hands, smaller hands at that. Hands that find smaller phones much easier to grip.

Of course we're both talking in conjecture and anecdotes so it's really difficult to say what the real outcome will be and whether Apple will actually "need" to compete in this space.

Oh... and by the way... Apple has a 2 size solution and my Wife absolutely loves the iPhone 5... it fits in her hand even better.

• Reply 149 of 213
    Marvin wrote: »
    They really just need to make your finger behave like a stylus. With a 3D sensor like LEAP, they can detect your finger above the screen. You can see that here:

Say someone comes to the door with a package you need to sign for, they just turn the screen to face you and you just sign your name in mid-air with your finger. If it had a fingerprint scanner of course that would be easier, maybe face detection or a retinal scanner.
    Styluses need holders and there is no way Apple will ever compromise that space for a writing stick.

agreed styluses are not needed just a finger. Not to mention one of the things Steve jobs would never support is styluses even if there are off brand ones sold, all you need is a hot pen tip.

Tactile feedback is another feature I expect to crop up. Imagine the game experiences you'll get being able to feel different types of surfaces. These things I'd expect in the iPhone 6 in 2014 iOS 8 and then they'll have a faster version of that in 2015 iOS 9. By 2016, if they double the performance year on year, phones and iPads will be as powerful as today's desktops and could have 2GB or more of RAM. Perhaps they'll allow you to connect iPads to computer displays and be able to use them as desktop-like machines (iOS X?).
    They don't have to have a keyboard/mouse or pointer because you can just sit the tablet flat on the desk in front of the display and have the 3D sensor and capacitive screen for control without looking at the tablet. Internet cafes will simply be BYOD (bring your own device) and you just plug them into a display or use wireless display connection - this is safer for data protection as you are just using your own device.
    some smartphones already have 2 GB of ram, not to mention one on the iPhone 5, is more than needed.
    I see what you mean but this is what tablets is for, no need for a larger screen that is still, not to mention you will not need wires, just wifi which is usually at these coffee shops.
    IOS X would be IOS 10, I think you meant Mac OS on IOS devices. Cafes will probably only have wifi. Or tablets with wires connected.

I still like the idea that Google Glasses aims to satisfy, which is having no real display at all in which case the display size is irrelevant. They can overlay images into your normal vision. This is like what you'd see in Deus Ex Human Revolution or Terminator where objects are identified and highlighted:

You could be sitting on a plane and have a virtual 30" display in front of you and nobody would know. Current tech makes this tricky but a tiny display/projector wuld use much less power than a smartphone display and in a few years, the power draw of the components can be a fraction of what they are now for current performance. If they can fit a battery into the legs of the glasses with a small APU and projector, future smartphones might look like this:
    I know people say that everyone wearing glasses (or really just a headband) is not ideal but you wouldn't have to wear them all the time, just when you need to use the device. You still need to take a smartphone out of your pocket. It's not such a big problem putting a pair of glasses on. It's automatically hands-free while driving. Showing someone else what you're looking at is harder but you rarely need to do that with a phone and they can have a wireless link capability.
    If they can figure out how to power/charge the device from your body heat and movement, even better.
    the screen would be a futuristic clear, where all you see is it(or through it, wireless link of courses and I guess it would be smart glasses.
  • Reply 150 of 213
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Because I fucking want one!

Also... when I bought a bigger monitor for my desktop... I didn't do it so I could sit further from the screen. I just wanted a bigger screen.

Let me want that!

Want and need are 2 very different things but people often confuse the 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

Are you serious?  My TV is situated around 18 feet away from my sofa.  Are you saying I should use a 32" TV and move my sofa ten feet forward?  The reason TV's are getting bigger is because that is what people want, and often it is for practical reasons. 

There's that word again "want". When you were sitting there in front of your 22" analogue TV 20 years ago did you really really WANT that 32" DLP that you saw in the magazine? Of course you did. People want bigger and bigger but they really don't need bigger and bigger. When you had a small analogue TV in your house, was it 18 feet away from your sofa then? I'm guessing not. I'm guessing you just sat closer.

I just don't get why people get bigger TVs so they can just sit further away.

• Reply 151 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

agreed styluses are not needed just a finger. Not to mention one of the things Steve jobs would never support is styluses even if there are off brand ones sold, all you need is a hot pen tip.

The trouble with fingers is they visually get in the way.  Most of us don't fingerpaint all day in real life.   We use writing instruments like pens and pencils for better precision, finer control, the ability to see the target without a lump of flesh in the way, etc.

This is why there are so many dumb stylii available for the iPad, and it's why more precise active pens are becoming popular with both iPads and competing devices.

(A stylus is just a stick that substitutes for a finger or fingernail to a touchscreen.   An active pen uses its own locating and pressure sensing system.)

• Reply 152 of 213
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

...and yet Apple files for another stylus patent, published just last week. Don't believe all of Apple's public statements. What they say and what they do can appear to be 100% at odds.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/12/apple-invents-advanced-active-stylus-to-work-with-idevices.html

• Reply 153 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Guy at work has the Note 2. He upgraded from an iPhone 4. We were comparing it to my iPhone 5, and yes, the Note 2 screen looks great. Then he started loading up common Apps and I was surprised how badly they looked. There was so much white space because the Apps were scaled. They didn't really display any additional information with the larger screen, it was just spread out with unused space between.

Big screens (including tablets like the iPad) are terrible if the software isn't taking advantage of it.

Can you explain to me how this scaling works? The Note 2 has a resolution of 1,280 x 720 (720p) so there's almost NO reason whatsoever for an app to scale. This is the most common resolution in Android phones today. Can you tell me what app that he was using that has "so much white space"? My brother has a Galaxy Note 2, and so far, I haven't noticed any of "so much white space" issue with the apps that he uses (a lot). It's pretty obvious that a 720p on a 5.5" vs. 4.3" is going to look bigger, but the PROPORTION should be unchanged.

• Reply 154 of 213
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

A hot pen tip? Either you're not referring to something that is readily available, or capacitive touch screens don't work the way you think it works. The only reason the current system seems pixel-accurate is the loupe, which isn't that efficient.

gatorguy wrote: »
    ...and yet Apple files for another stylus patent, published just last week. Don't believe all of Apple's public statements. What they say and what they do can appear to be 100% at odds.
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/12/apple-invents-advanced-active-stylus-to-work-with-idevices.html

Apple files a LOT of patents, most of them don't become part of an Apple product.
  • Reply 155 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

No. Phablets are selling like hotcakes and can be very profitable business. I bet samsung is making a lot of money from each note2 sold.

Obviously, phones like the note sell because they are based on hype and their buyers are stupid or have special needs (huge people, poor vision, etc). As soon as phablets lose fashion status (people are seeing a big screen phone as a more advanced phone, despite the fact that the iPhone as a device is 100 steps ahead on everything), phablets (like the note, etc) sales are going down, because they just can't go "bigger".

Wow such arrogance and over-generalization in your assertion. The Galaxy Note 2 is actually very thin and light for the dimension of 5.5" screen, and it's selling quite well for something that's "stupid". Just because people use it doesn't mean that they are "stupid" or "huge people" or "poor vision". I guess you like to insult people who have different needs than you do.

• Reply 156 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

…and it's selling quite well…

Buy one get one free.

• Reply 157 of 213
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

[...] I just don't get why people get bigger TVs so they can just sit further away.

With due respect, no insult intended, I honestly think you may be the only person in the world who doesn't.

We get bigger TVs so we can sit farther away because TV size is a lower priority than room layout.

We buy bigger TVs now than we did when TVs used CRTs because we can. Great big CRTs didn't exist so we compromised our preference for practical realities. Now that one can get a big TV for short coin, we don't have to make that compromise anymore.

We buy bigger TVs for the same reason people go to theatres. It's more immersive and therefore more enjoyable.

We buy big TVs for the same reason we buy Hummers and sports cars or fancy jewelry -- to call attention to our social status. It's a stupid reason, but frankly just the way humans are. Actually, lots of other animals do the same thing, they just do it with intimidating body language or peeing on others.

All that aside, screen size has implications for a smartphone that aren't an issue with a TV: selecting items on the screen with a large, imprecise pointer -- a finger. I often accidentally hit adjacent links on web pages and find the iOS keyboard too small for comfort at the present size screen. I would find it much easier to use if the screen were simply scaled up. Scaling up would reduce the pixel density, but given a choice between ease of use and a slightly prettier display, I'll take the former, thanks.

• Reply 158 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Buy one get one free.

For the Note 2?   Where?   

BOGO is overrated, though.   It's not Get One Free, because the second one requires a thousand+ dollar commitment just like the first one.

BOGO is really more like:  buy two identical phones, each with two year contracts, at half price each. 

• Reply 159 of 213
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

I'm glad someone said it. Apple and Samsung don't divulge information on which device models sell best, so where do people get this idea that massive phones are selling by the millions? It's entirely possible that the largest share of Android devices belongs to the smaller phones.

True, however my purely anecdotal, unscientific observations of my tiny little microsection of the world suggest a shift away from iPhones to big-screen devices.

I started taking the train to work in September. I was surprised to see that almost everyone, sitting or standing, was doing something on a phone. I was also surprised to see that almost ALL of them were iPhones. There were a couple of non-Apple phones, but not many.

Now, just four months later, I see lots and lots of big screens. I have no idea what kind they are (I'm not up on current offerings) but whatever they are, people are buying them now. I very rarely see an iPhone 5, maybe one every couple of days.

The conclusion one draws is that in this admittedly microscopic sampling -- people who commute downtown to work at the same time I do -- iPhones are being replaced with big-screen alternatives, and not many of that group have purchased an iPhone 5.

My point is that even if the bulk of Android sales are cheap feature phones, I'm personally seeing such a flood of big-screen phones in my personal life that I believe they are a genuinely significant product segment.

• Reply 160 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

For the Note 2?   Where? 

Verizon.

BOGO is overrated, though.

Totally missing the point.