Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad, second-gen iPad mini to debut in March

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 260
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I guess I got mixed up there - I was thinking toggles for common used settings in NC. But weather would be nice on the lock screen. Also some sort of notification that you've received messages would be nice. A friend of mine who upgraded to an iPhone has told me they really miss that feature. On their Android phone they didn't even have to turn it on to know if someone had sent them a text.

Something else I'd love is a setting that would automatically turn Wi-Fi on and off based on my location. For instance when I'm at work I usually turn Wi-Fi off since we're not supposed to use company Wi-Fi for social media, streaming music/video. I set up a location-based reminder which works okay but having iOS do it for me would be cool. Of course I'm not sure how it would function if you manually went in and changed the setting, I know sometimes at home if I'm downloaded something I will turn off Wi-Fi because LTE is faster. But again if there was a way to implement I think it would be cool.

I agree that smart Wifi in the OS would be awesome and would help save so much battery life. If Apple doesn't make it something thats system level, the ability to turn it on/off faster would be great.

Also you currently CAN make your iPhone flash whenever you get a notification similar to android. Settings > General > Accessibility > LED Flash for Alerts > On.
  • Reply 242 of 260
    rogifan wrote: »
    blackbook wrote: »
    But if that's in the lock screen anyone could adjust those settings? Not even android, to my knowledge, allows you to access settings from the lock screen. And personally it doesn't take much to unlock the phone.

But I guess if they did add it I could just turn it off. Anyway I think it's more important they add settings to notifications center than the lock screen.
    I guess I got mixed up there - I was thinking toggles for common used settings in NC. But weather would be nice on the lock screen. Also some sort of notification that you've received messages would be nice. A friend of mine who upgraded to an iPhone has told me they really miss that feature. On their Android phone they didn't even have to turn it on to know if someone had sent them a text.

Something else I'd love is a setting that would automatically turn Wi-Fi on and off based on my location. For instance when I'm at work I usually turn Wi-Fi off since we're not supposed to use company Wi-Fi for social media, streaming music/video. I set up a location-based reminder which works okay but having iOS do it for me would be cool. Of course I'm not sure how it would function if you manually went in and changed the setting, I know sometimes at home if I'm downloaded something I will turn off Wi-Fi because LTE is faster. But again if there was a way to implement I think it would be cool.

Ya' know...

The Mac OS X has a facility called OAS Script, AppleScript. This allows an app to expose certain functions, within itself, to the System -- where, if authorized, they can be invoked and executed from another app.

For example the email app could examine all incoming emails for certain characteristics -- then tell a totally unrelated app to perform some action... receipt of a certain code in an email could trigger the system to turn off the web server -- or shutdown the computer.

IDK if this capability is available in iOS -- it hasn't been exposed to developers. But it would be a great addition to iOS (proper security assumed).

With something like this it would be relatively easy for a System app or Developer app to, say, ask Location Services to set a fence around your office location -- then reinvoke when the arrival is triggered...

Then the original aoo could ask the System to turn off WIFI, and notify when done...

Or, the Camera app could be directed to send a photo to your DropBox web site Public Folder and retrieve the photo's public URL -- then put it in your clipboard -- so you could post it to an AI forum.
  • Reply 243 of 260

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I'm going to bed now... Who's in?

Is that you Drusilla?  Calligula?   Oedipus?

• Reply 244 of 260
    More on multi-user iPad...

I wanted to determine the cost in storage for each user on an iPad -- to see if multi-user is even feasible.

I have FileSystem.ipa and wanted to sent a link but it's not in the AppStore anymore.

1000 1000

Perhaps this one will do the same, but it's $1.99 and might be a total useless app:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/app-storage/id508981519?l=en&mt=8

Finally... Would you share your iPad?

I hand over my iPad to friends' kids but find it a bit annoying that it won't retain last settings in Restrictions. So a guest account or profile would be great.
  • Reply 245 of 260

Uhm, Apple needs some new products and an entire revamp of iOS, not another refresh…..

• Reply 246 of 260
    pmz wrote: »
    It's painful knowing that Find My iPhone is immediately rendered useless if a thief simply shuts off the device.

Indeed, poorly implemented idea, as it is. One could also eject the SIM card, rendering any software design useless.
  • Reply 247 of 260

Originally Posted by Jim Osborne View Post

Uhm, Apple needs some new products and an entire revamp of iOS, not another refresh…..

No. Why?

• Reply 248 of 260
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Movies. Music. Apps. Sounds desperately low, if you ask me. Barebones, in fact.

These can be shared but subject to the parental control settings.

What each user needs is enough space to store settings, account information, and preferences.

• Reply 249 of 260
    So I was playing with some paper at work today, and I drew an ipad. I was like ok im gonna make the ipad 5. So I did. I ended up with a few drawings and i tried to incorporate the thin ipad mini sides into the design. It's simply too small. I had a hard time holding the paper with such small boarders. So I have reached the conclusion that if the ipad does come out in march it will not have thin borders. The current borders are about thumb sized if you wanna know. If it was less also you would get screen touch interference. From all the rumors some say the igzo display might happen but there a some spec issues about apple having to redesign alot just to get that little more ppi than ipad 4. Battery issues and other things. So I predict that the ipad 5, if it comes out will be just like the rumor was said. Thinner model, same processor, same screen. Just lighter. And the ipad mini will be just the a6x processor. No retina, too expensive making the product very un mini. Everyone forgets to think that the ipad 3 was released in march April right. So it took apple 7-8 months to change what.... A better processor, and a lightning connector. And the best part is we already knew the a6x/a6 processor was kicking around long before the ipad 4. Now we have 4-5 months before the next ipad right? Apple was willing to make a crappy unworthy update to ipad 4 (relatively speaking and no offense to ipad 4 owners) with minimal updates, which what it is. The a5x is still smoking. Which makes me conclude that we will get another crappy update because they are concerned about the stocks and market share. They don't have time to create a new processor, they don't have enough time to incorporate the igzo display, and sort out battery and tech specs, so what's left? A thinner model?
  • Reply 250 of 260
    [B][B]So I was playing with some paper at work today, and I drew an ipad. I was like ok im gonna make the ipad 5. So I did. I ended up with a few drawings and i tried to incorporate the thin ipad mini sides into the design. It's simply too small. I had a hard time holding the paper with such small boarders. So I have reached the conclusion that if the ipad does come out in march it will not have thin borders. The current borders are about thumb sized if you wanna know. If it was less also you would get screen touch interference. From all the rumors some say the igzo display might happen but there a some spec issues about apple having to redesign alot just to get that little more ppi than ipad 4. Battery issues and other things. So I predict that the ipad 5, if it comes out will be just like the rumor was said. Thinner model, same processor, same screen. Just lighter. And the ipad mini will be just the a6x processor. No retina, too expensive making the product very un mini. Everyone forgets to think that the ipad 3 was released in march April right. So it took apple 7-8 months to change what.... A better processor, and a lightning connector. And the best part is we already knew the a6x/a6 processor was kicking around long before the ipad 4. Now we have 4-5 months before the next ipad right? Apple was willing to make a crappy unworthy update to ipad 4 (relatively speaking and no offense to ipad 4 owners) with minimal updates, which what it is. The a5x is still smoking. Which makes me conclude that we will get another crappy update because they are concerned about the stocks and market share. They don't have time to create a new processor, they don't have enough time to incorporate the igzo display, and sort out battery and tech specs, so what's left? A thinner model?
  • Reply 251 of 260
    So I was playing with some paper at work today, and I drew an ipad. I was like ok im gonna make the ipad 5. So I did. I ended up with a few drawings and i tried to incorporate the thin ipad mini sides into the design. It's simply too small. I had a hard time holding the paper with such small boarders. So I have reached the conclusion that if the ipad does come out in march it will not have thin borders. The current borders are about thumb sized if you wanna know. If it was less also you would get screen touch interference. From all the rumors some say the igzo display might happen but there a some spec issues about apple having to redesign alot just to get that little more ppi than ipad 4. Battery issues and other things. So I predict that the ipad 5, if it comes out will be just like the rumor was said. Thinner model, same processor, same screen. Just lighter. And the ipad mini will be just the a6x processor. No retina, too expensive making the product very un mini. Everyone forgets to think that the ipad 3 was released in march April right. So it took apple 7-8 months to change what.... A better processor, and a lightning connector. And the best part is we already knew the a6x/a6 processor was kicking around long before the ipad 4. Now we have 4-5 months before the next ipad right? Apple was willing to make a crappy unworthy update to ipad 4 (relatively speaking and no offense to ipad 4 owners) with minimal updates, which what it is. The a5x is still smoking. Which makes me conclude that we will get another crappy update because they are concerned about the stocks and market share. They don't have time to create a new processor, they don't have enough time to incorporate the igzo display, and sort out battery and tech specs, so what's left? A thinner model?
  • Reply 252 of 260

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You can do what's in those screenshots without jailbreaking your device?

Yep (reiterating)! Here're the screenshots for what I described previously (finally got the guy to let me grab his iPod again, and then the stupid tab wouldn't come up the first time!): 

• Reply 253 of 260
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member

Customers who have a product that needs replacement get a refurbished product.  Unless the supply is exhausted, they will the same item they bought.  I know of one person who got a new model, but that is not as common as you might think.

• Reply 254 of 260
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Apple is going to announce the products they are going to announce whenever they are going to announce them.

How can you be so sure?

• Reply 255 of 260
    I believe the upgrade cycles are becoming increasingly clear for iPad, and eventually the mini: Look and feel update in March and internals update in late October. If the new iPhones are introduced between iPad updates, they would feature the new internals, i.e., A7 etc. the October machines would get the new internals to put them on par with the phone. The consumer will have a clear choice, upgrade and enjoy the new body style for a year, or wait for greater performance, enjoy that for a year, but only have the new body style for 5 or six months. So new body style and display tech, but with A6X and current GPU in March, same body style and A7X in fall. Seems like a good business strategy to me.

On a another topic that was raised, According to the most recent surveys, iOS has a much higher user satisfaction rating than any of its competitors, so why is there a need for an iOS update, just for the sake of updating?
  • Reply 256 of 260
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

On a another topic that was raised, According to the most recent surveys, iOS has a much higher user satisfaction rating than any of its competitors, so why is there a need for an iOS update, just for the sake of updating?

iOS had a high satisfaction rating in 2007, as well.   Should Apple have stopped improving right then?  Of course not.

It's the same false logic as when people say "Apple devices are selling well.  Why should they update them or introduce a new model?"

• Reply 257 of 260
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kdarling wrote: »
    iOS had a high satisfaction rating in 2007, as well.   Should Apple have stopped improving right then?  Of course not.

It's the same false logic as when people say "Apple devices are selling well.  Why should they update them or introduce a new model?"

I think by updating he means to scrap the entire look and feel for something radically different just for the sake of change. I am assuming you would not agree with that and also assuming you've seen those comments aplenty on forums. "iOS is stale" yada yada yada. The bottom line is Apple did such a great job with their 1.0 in terms of usability and performance that they've mostly only had to build upon their previous successes without the need to take several steps back to start from scratch.
  • Reply 258 of 260
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think by updating he means to scrap the entire look and feel for something radically different just for the sake of change.

Ah thanks.   So a total makeover, not just an update.

Quote:

I am assuming you would not agree with that and also assuming you've seen those comments aplenty on forums.

Oh, I think more than a few people want at least a visual makeover.  The visual look is the first thing everyone expects J. Ive to work on.  After a while, pale blue stripes, rounded corners on everything, etc, can look dated.  Of course, that's true for any UI, and it's why Microsoft and Apple constantly make little or big tweaks to their desktop software.   It's also a situation where allowing themes would easily extend the UI's life and popularity.

As far as going beyond just visual changes,  Cook seems amenable to exploring more options to get more customers.

The changes wouldn't even have to be that radical to be seen as "new" and desirable.  (To me, "radical" might be to add say, a physical back button.)

Widgets, for instance, will come sooner or later, I think.   Multiple app windows (even if just tiled) would be quite useful on a tablet.    Ditto for multiple tablet user logins and homescreens for families or even professional users.

Of course, nothing lasts forever.  Every mobile OS will be obsolete at some time in the future, whether it's a few years or a decade or more away.   Who knows what kind of breakthroughs might come that will radically change the way we interact with a device.

Hmm.  What changes would you like and what changes would you hate ?  

• Reply 259 of 260
    Does anyone feel the innovation died with jobs?
  • Reply 260 of 260
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    macgeek101 wrote: »
    Does anyone feel the innovation died with jobs?

No one who matters.