Investment banks see 50 million iPhones sold in Q4, $1,111 target for AAPL shares

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, everything I've seen says that Apple's CURRENT P/E is under 12 and the forward P/E is under 9. After you adjust for cash, those numbers drop to about 10-11 current and low 7s for forward P/E/

AAPL PEG (price earnings to growth ratio) is 0.48 vs. Google's (1.35) or Facebook's 2.01

By most measures AAPL is relatively inexpensive. Or doomed. Or something.

• Reply 42 of 74

• Reply 44 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    cash907 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware Apple had released sales figures for Q4. I thought that was next week.

As for Q3, well: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/galaxy-s3-sales-worlds-number-one-smartphone_n_2091689.html

Now if you want to compare ALL iPhones, from 3GS to 5, versus ALL Galaxy S series phones, pretty sure Samsung comes out ahead on that too.

I was basing my opinion on Samsung's breakdown of 100,000,000 Galaxy S sales, which they announced on the 14th, 40,000,000 Galaxy S III's and 40,000,000 Galaxy S 2's vs 65,000,000 iPhones sold last quarter.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    analogjack wrote: »

Too funny!

quinney wrote: »
    Is that part of Beyonce's Superbowl halftime costume? I need to put on my glasses.

I thought it was Janet Jackson's thingy that Justin Timberlake tore off

• Reply 46 of 74

Tell me why the hell hasn't the securities and exchange commission not raise hell. It is obvious that over the past few weeks the market manipulators have been driving down Apple's stock price?!!!!

GTFO!

• Reply 47 of 74
    jragosta wrote: »
    Actually, everything I've seen says that Apple's CURRENT P/E is under 12 and the forward P/E is under 9. After you adjust for cash, those numbers drop to about 10-11 current and low 7s for forward P/E/

I agree. The previous poster's 12x Forward P/E was based on the price six months ago, when, recall, AAPL was selling for a much higher price....
  • Reply 48 of 74
    hill60 wrote: »
    I was basing my opinion on Samsung's breakdown of 100,000,000 Galaxy S sales, which they announced on the 14th, 40,000,000 Galaxy S III's and 40,000,000 Galaxy S 2's vs 65,000,000 iPhones sold last quarter.

I still find it very odd that, for all such vaunted success, these guys never report volumes in their audited financials..... And no one in the market seems to give a hoot.
  • Reply 49 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

AAPL has been on a short down term recently, fueled by various factors, including general global economic worries, fiscal cliff crap and a whole slew of moronic and clueless media writing garbage, bogus articles. Not very bright people have been predicting Apple's death for decades now, and I'm sorry to tell these morons that Apple's best days are still ahead of it.

Less about death, and more about market saturation and stagnation...  Even if Android isn't making money in the market, it's soaking up potential buyers.  Same with tablets and PCs.   Apple is making money hands over fist, but it can't make 'more' money, because the market is not growing (faster than the population rate).

The past 4 months have all been about market manipulation in the general sense (all markets are manipulated)... the combo platter of Euro debt crisis, the shrinking of the US middle class (we're not talking gulfstreams here... we are talking phones and tablets... you need a person earning 30,000 a year feeling like they can afford an apple phone or iPad), the byzantine Chinese market (you almost have to give away your design to get into that market...), and the law of large numbers theory (Apple is too big to grow faster than the general market).  

Articles aren't written for truth, they are written for  purpose... the most basic is... profit.  Either by driving prices in a direction or just ad hits.

This market correction is an aberration caused for those who felt that apple's dividend, Steve's death, the risk of samsung winning the lawsuit last year were too great of risks to be Long Apple.  So for the last 4 months, this 

Looking at the numbers... This Friday is a major day on the Options board.  A lot of action is due on Friday, 3 business days before quarterly earnings report.  There is some price that the big risk holders need, and the indication is, it's $500, and the news will give an take around that number until Friday 4pm.   

• Reply 50 of 74

AAPL should just do a 10 for 1 stock split placing at around $50. Then I believe many people will more inclined to think it can reach $110. per share easily.

• Reply 51 of 74

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You know, it's amazing. One action by these two humans is responsible for people no longer having live TV.

I wonder if one action by two humans was responsible for Samsung's design decisions in the last five years…

• Reply 52 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Less about death, and more about market saturation and stagnation...  Even if Android isn't making money in the market, it's soaking up potential buyers.  Same with tablets and PCs.   Apple is making money hands over fist, but it can't make 'more' money, because the market is not growing (faster than the population rate).

The "population" of people switching from basic and feature phones to smartphones is still growing, rapidly.

• Reply 53 of 74
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    AAPL should just do a 10 for 1 stock split placing at around $50. Then I believe many people will more inclined to think it can reach $110. per share easily.

More importantly, a $50 share price is more likely to attract individual investors for psychological reasons. Apple's institutional ownership is so high (68%) that it lends itself to manipulation.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member

if by "psychological reasons" you mean stupidity — then yes, possibly. it doesn't matter if the shares are $50 or $500.

• Reply 55 of 74
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fastasleep wrote: »
    if by "psychological reasons" you mean stupidity — then yes, possibly. it doesn't matter if the shares are $50 or $500.

Yes, it does.

What if you have $400 to invest? 8 shares of AAPL or 0.8 shares. Oh, wait. You can't buy 0.8 shares.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member

$400 isn't an investment, it's a hobby. people buying single shares of stuff don't move markets.

• Reply 57 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fastasleep wrote: »
    $400 isn't an investment, it's a hobby. people buying single shares of stuff don't move markets.

What kind of elitist crap is this? My parents and my grandparents before them would invest what they could each month into a company they believed in to slowly build up a portfolio. They weren't investing what little extra hard earned cash they had into a hobby. It's an investment. They were investors. This was not some whimsical decision done at one's leisure time for pleasure and I am offended that anyone could make such a derisive comment about people looking toward a brighter future.
  • Reply 58 of 74

Sensitive much? I think you're reading a bit too much into what I said. I didn't say "People looking toward a brighter future can suck it!"

If you're incrementally building a portfolio, you can just save up until you can buy a single share of a more expensive stock if it's above your monthly budget. Nobody is making you buy a share at the start of every month, put it in savings or whatever. 

But the point is, I don't see how splitting the stock is going to change the balance in any measurable way, even if it does attract more low-volume (is that better than hobbyist?) investors. It'll still be moved by the institutions, not the tiny minority of people who are saving up for single shares. Do you disagree? 

• Reply 59 of 74

Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

…even if it does attract more low-volume (is that better than hobbyist?) investors.

Well, it's better that you're now contradicting yourself when you claimed these people weren't investors. Now you're saying that they are, which makes everything a little better.

• Reply 60 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's not at all crazy.

If Apple simply returns to the same P/E as the rest of the market, its share price would be over $1,000.

The rest of the market doesn't have the market cap that Apple does.  If you compare the next largest company (Exxon-Mobil), Apple's P/E ratio is actually higher.  

Also, P/E isn't all that matters, especially not for mega-cap stocks.