Investment banks see 50 million iPhones sold in Q4, $1,111 target for AAPL shares

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Researchers at Piper Jaffray expect that Apple will reveal during its quarterly conference call next week that it sold some 50 million iPhones for the quarter ending in December, five million more units than the firm previously estimated, while Topeka Capital Markets sees positive indicators for AAPL and set a price target of $1,111 for the stock.

AAPL
After seeing a decline over the past month, Apple stock gained $20.17 (4.15%) on Wednesday to close at $506.09. | Chart via Reuters

In a quarterly preview, analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray predicts that Apple will surpass the firm's earlier December quarter estimates by five million units based in part on "commentary from AT&T suggesting iPhone sales expanded slightly [year-over-year] and [from] Verizon that iPhone helped it reach record activations in December." Munster estimates roughly 15 million iPhones could have been sold in the U.S., with a possible global sales range of 41 to 54 million units.

Munster also reduces the estimate for iPhones sales for the upcoming March 2013 quarter by five million to 38 million units. The firm expects that Apple's forthcoming guidance will shed light on recent reports of component order cuts.

Piper also expects Apple to announce 25 million iPad sales for the December quarter, with 20 million full-size iPads sold alongside five million iPad minis. Mac sales will likely see a drop of seven percent year-over-year, with Apple selling 4.8 million Macs over the last three months of 2012.

Topeka Capital: Apple risk-reward "extremely attractive"

Analysts at Topeka Capital Markets remain upbeat on AAPL despite negative sentiment surrounding the stock. In a report released Wednesday -- titled "Apple's Brightest and Most Innovative Days are Ahead of It" -- analyst Brian White said the firm believes Apple's product portfolio "has never been stronger," rated the stock a "buy," and set a 12-month price target of $1,111.

White pointed toward three factors in his positive assessment of Apple's future. First was the continuing growth of the smartphone and tablet sectors, two areas where Apple holds an enviable position as a market leader. Second were positive indications out of China, where Apple is working on a deal with the world's largest carrier China Mobile and is now moving to position its iPhone to be more price-competitive.

Finally, White pointed to the television market, which he believes is still ripe for an Apple disruption. The report views Apple's "reinvention" of the TV experience as an eventuality, and White was unimpressed with the smart TV offerings Samsung, LG, and others had on display at last week's Consumer Electronics Show. A strongly disruptive Apple television product, White says, could create an entirely new $100 billion to $400 billion market opportunity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74

$1,111?! That has to be a typo. They must mean $1.11¡

• Reply 2 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'd be willing to accept $1,111 a share if someone twists my arm.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Time for manipulative pigs to come back to the trough.

• Reply 4 of 74
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

$1,111?! That has to be a typo. They must mean $1.11¡

Pfffftttt...

My Morgan Stanley financial advisor (I recently retired) thinks AAPL is poised for take off. It's in my IRA portfolio.

• Reply 5 of 74
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I think $1,100 is a little on the lofty side, UNLESS they sign China Mobile and come out with a kick butt HDTV line along with some major iPhone, iPad etc. releases.  I think that $750 to $800 during the next 12 months is POSSIBLE.  But I feel $700 to $750 is a little more realistic.  But I think there is a good chance they'll sign China Mobile, but it's a matter of what deal they strike, but China Mobile wants too much.  

• Reply 6 of 74

Originally Connected to digitalclips View Post

????

Stupid bounding box.

• Reply 7 of 74
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    The biggest surprise for me here is the prediction that they sold 4x as many full-size iPads as iPad Minis. I think the mix will lean much more heavily towards the Minis. Not great for the margins, but I think they sold a lot of Minis.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I can see Apple hitting that price but the odds of someone doing an actual calculation and coming out with $1,111 ± 0.5 is highly improbable. It sounds like they choose $1,111 because it's all 1's and therefore sounds cool. We've seen this number before with Apple's stock. That makes a number derived from emotion rather than analysis. I don't want that with an investment banker.

PS: At this point Apple will need a share price of 1,063.05 to be a a trillion dollar company.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think $1,100 is a little on the lofty side, UNLESS they sign China Mobile and come out with a kick butt HDTV line along with some major iPhone, iPad etc. releases.  I think that $750 to $800 during the next 12 months is POSSIBLE.  But I feel $700 to $750 is a little more realistic.  But I think there is a good chance they'll sign China Mobile, but it's a matter of what deal they strike, but China Mobile wants too much.  

What you saw today, to me, felt a lot like running out of sellers.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next week if the decline has finally shaken out the weak.  I certainly have heard from a lot of Joes who were panicking about the stock.  Guess what happens when the average man finally panics?  I got really lucky and bought some calls for $12 yesterday that closed at $18 today.  I plan to hold them, along with the other calls I have (all April strike) through earnings and for about a month after that if everything goes as I think it will.  That is, I think Apple will post earnings impressive enough to send the stock up strongly afterward as the fear that has built-up over the last 3 months is removed from a large section of the investing public, and that rubber band snaps back.  These do not have to be an epic blow-out, as they used to have to be, but as long as Apple shows that the sky is not indeed falling, that it does in fact expect to still sell phones next quarter, the stock should have a lot of room to move up.

I'm I'm wrong, and Apple really hasn't been able to make and sell iPhone5s this quarter because of production constraints, then I'm going to lose a LOT of money with this gamble.

• Reply 10 of 74
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Re: "...and White was unimpressed with the smart TV offerings Samsung, LG, and others had on display at last week's Consumer Electronics Show."

If running apps on your big-screen TV were a truly great idea, WebTV would have taken over the world in the mid-1990s. They didn't.

I used to think that TV networks could become "appified." There could be a CBS app, Showtime app, whatever, represented by icons right there on your screen. And you could somehow launch those apps and get a program guide for watching live or search for pre-recorded shows to play on-demand. But that doesn't make any sense at all. Networks are irrelevant. Who cares what f-ing network a show is on?

No need for a CBS app or Showtime app. Not if you can just get "the latest Hawaii Five-0," or "all episodes of Dexter that I missed, in order," or "the Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes that Ashley Judd appeared in."

Slightly off-topic? Not really. Television is yet another industry represented at CES that Apple can disrupt. The TVs at the show are a mix of bad ideas (TVs running apps, 3D TVs) and currently super-expensive future-tech (Ultra HD 4K and 8K.) Ripe for disruption.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I'm I'm wrong, and Apple really hasn't been able to make and sell iPhone5s this quarter because of production constraints, then I'm going to lose a LOT of money with this gamble.

Fact Apple sold more iPhones last quarter than Samsung has sold Galaxy S III's and 2's combined over two years.

Fact Apple sold many times more iPhone's than Nokia sold Lumia phone's, yet Nokia selling 4.4 million is seen as a positive.

Smoke and mirrors manipulation.

• Reply 12 of 74
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Bought my shares back when it was under 150 so it's all gravy to me, but $1,100 seems a bit ludicrous unless PJ thinks the iTV is not only a reality but a serious contender (I really don't think it is, not when you can get a fantastic 60" TV that is an inch and a half thick for under a grand right now) With the overall computer market down, and increasingly stiff competition in both the tablet and mobile phone markets, they would have to enter a new market completely to even break 800, to say anything of 1,100. Does Gene Munster of piper Jaffray know something the rest of us don't regarding the future plans of Apple?

• Reply 13 of 74
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Bought my shares back when it was under 150 so it's all gravy to me, but $1,100 seems a bit ludicrous unless PJ thinks the iTV is not only a reality but a serious contender (I really don't think it is, not when you can get a fantastic 60" TV that is an inch and a half thick for under a grand right now) With the overall computer market down, and increasingly stiff competition in both the tablet and mobile phone markets, they would have to enter a new market completely to even break 800, to say anything of 1,100. Does Gene Munster of piper Jaffray know something the rest of us don't regarding the future plans of Apple?

It's not at all crazy.

If Apple simply returns to the same P/E as the rest of the market, its share price would be over $1,000.
  • Reply 14 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Fact Apple sold more iPhones last quarter than Samsung has sold Galaxy S III's and 2's combined over two years.

Fact Apple sold many times more iPhone's than Nokia sold Lumia phone's, yet Nokia selling 4.4 million is seen as a positive.

I wasn't aware Apple had released sales figures for Q4. I thought that was next week.

As for Q3, well: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/galaxy-s3-sales-worlds-number-one-smartphone_n_2091689.html

Now if you want to compare ALL iPhones, from 3GS to 5, versus ALL Galaxy S series phones, pretty sure Samsung comes out ahead on that too.

• Reply 15 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

None of that matters.  But thanks for the info (which everyone already knew).

• Reply 16 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I wasn't aware Apple had released sales figures for Q4. I thought that was next week.

As for Q3, well: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/galaxy-s3-sales-worlds-number-one-smartphone_n_2091689.html

Now if you want to compare ALL iPhones, from 3GS to 5, versus ALL Galaxy S series phones, pretty sure Samsung comes out ahead on that too.

While true, that's a time period where Apple had an aging phone competing against a new one, and then at the end of the quarter had a new phone which of course couldn't beat a phone that had a whole quarter to sell.  Since Samsung doesn't release the numbers on its sales, there is no way for you to prove the last point you made.  But you can be sure that S3 vs iPhone5 is not going to be close this quarter.

• Reply 17 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's not at all crazy.

If Apple simply returns to the same P/E as the rest of the market, its share price would be over $1,000.

But the market doesn't operate purely based on P/E, and there is still a lot of uncertainty in regards to Cook's leadership, especially after the recent gaffs with the Retail chain and the (much needed, according to some) departure of Forstall. Apple needs to not only have a great year, but release some truly innovative products with their next iPad, iPhone, iOS7 and Mac lines before 1,000 and higher become realistic possibilities.

• Reply 18 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    But there's an article on CNBC asking if there's anyone left to buy iPhones. :\
  • Reply 19 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Um, so many of you FAIL to realize that Samdung from day one has aggressively DISCOUNTED nearly it's entire line to COMPETE with Apple.  They (Samdung) hardly "achieved" anything without such a strategy.  Non stop fire sales always always work for mass distribution.  

The demise of Apple iPhone sales are greatly exaggerated.  Why do so many of you guys care if people don't buy the iphone 5?  I just had a lunch meeting with someone who's wife just "upgraded" to the iPhone 4S and shes over the moon...Meaning that the big driver right now is value -- pricing and most importantly -- CONTRACTS.  I know a lot of you just don't wanna believe reality and think people just buy these devices on a whim or impulse but wake up to reality.  Apples biggest mistake, it's biggest was leaving the June quarter wide open to disruption by Samsung.  Moving the iphone to the fall with nothing new in the June quarter was a grand canyon wide opening for ANY player -- a smart move now would be to in fact move a different model or version and in fact release two phones a year.  I don't think they have a choice. And my marketing gut tells me that in fact Apple will release "a new iphone" in June -- like rumored.  They have to and it will pay off in spades.  Bet ya.

I also do tho seriously think that the "iPhone sales game" is now being cannibalized by itself.  I have faith Apple knew this going into the holiday season and hence some (finally) aggressive pricing.  And...I don't see a cheaper iphone "destroying" the brand. Um it didnt effect the ipod line one bit, it wont affect the iphone.

• Reply 20 of 74
    It's unusual when an analyst sets a 12-month target price and stays with it. I don't see Apple ever reaching $1000, but I'd certainly be happy if it did. I'll be satisfied if Apple gets back up to $700 and I can keep collecting decent dividends. Most of these analysts are just sheep and usually behind the curve. Some of them are changing target prices every few months for Apple. They start downgrading Apple after it has already gone down. What the hell good is that to any investors.