Apple's iOS retains top spot in US with over 51% share of smartphone OS sales for Q4 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    archarch Posts: 66member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Looks like iOS gained marketshare at the expense of RIM, not Android.  Apple gained 6.3%.  Android lost 0.6%.  RIM lost 5%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Exactly what I was going to say. This was a loss for RIM, not Android.

That is a mistake but indirectly android did lose share. When those RIM customers left - they chose apple not android

• Reply 22 of 91
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Android..... stagnating.

• Reply 23 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I guess a 4 inch screen WAS the sweet spot and there ISN'T a mass exodus because Apple doesn't offer 5 inch screens.

I mean I'm open to Apple expanding the iPhone lineup but let's not get asinine and think Apple NEEDS to for their survival.

They're doing just fine. If they expanded the iPhone brand it would be to provide a new unique experience for customers not because the competition is eating their lunch.

Its difficult for apple to release a cheaper phone to expand market but a bigger phone with the same resolution should be easier. Its not for 'survival' but to gain market share without even hurting margins.

• Reply 24 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

not sure I would agree with that statement.  Look at the details for Verizon.  The ~10% increase for iOS devices at Verizon appears to have come as a result of ~10% decrease from Android. 

You can't really disagree with my statement as I stated the numbers from the tables in the article and gave no opinion.  Regarding your second sentence, you're trying to argue against me using a different set of numbers.  I was referring to the aggregate numbers.  Your numbers are absolutely right with regards to Verizon.

• Reply 25 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by arch View Post

That is a mistake but indirectly android did lose share. When those RIM customers left - they chose apple not android

Are you dizzy yet (from all that spinning)?  Ba doom chhhh

• Reply 26 of 91
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    arch wrote: »
    Jan 22: Verizon Earnings
    Jan 23 Apple Earnings
    Jan 24 ATT Earnings

I will rather wait for the real figures than pay attention to some analysts estimates.
    Interesting that Apple is reporting before AT&T this quarter. Isn't it usually the other way around?I remember last year at this time all the analysts on CNBC were "worried" because the numbers from AT&T and Verizon weren't as good as they expected and then Apple comes out and blows everyone away with a record quarter. :lol:
  • Reply 27 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You can't really disagree with my statement as I stated the numbers from the tables in the article and gave no opinion.  Regarding your second sentence, you're trying to argue against me using a different set of numbers.  I was referring to the aggregate numbers.  Your numbers are absolutely right with regards to Verizon.

It is correct that you stated no opinion but your stated analysis is incorrect because you stated an unconditional 'not' as opposed to using 'mostly' or some other conditional statement. You note the differences in total percentage but note that it would take the gain from RiM, Android and at least one other mobile OS to equal 6.3%. You were more correct in your previous reply to me.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

So much for all of the Android hype.  hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

• Reply 29 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Carrier

These figures in the article seem to be totally crap.

December quarter 2011: iPhone activation share at att= 81%

December quarter 2011: iPhone activation share at verizon = 55%

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/26/more_than_80_of_smartphones_activated_at_att_were_apples_iphone_.html

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/24/verizons_42m_q4_iphone_activations_were_more_than_half_of_its_smartphones_.html

• Reply 30 of 91
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I guess a 4 inch screen WAS the sweet spot and there ISN'T a mass exodus because Apple doesn't offer 5 inch screens.

I mean I'm open to Apple expanding the iPhone lineup but let's not get asinine and think Apple NEEDS to for their survival.

They're doing just fine. If they expanded the iPhone brand it would be to provide a new unique experience for customers not because the competition is eating their lunch.

I think they would do well with a variety of screen sizes.  I would go so far as to say they should offer voice/data cellular capabilities to all of their iPads as an option as well as laptops.  ESPECIALLY if the carriers to program them to use the same phone number.  I don't know if that's possible.  I would love to be able to have a variety of mobile devices that all had cell phone/data capabilities if they all could share the same phone number because we can then just one of many devices with us and always have access to the internet and phone without having to carry two devices.  Sometimes I would like to just carry a tablet and use earpiece for phone calls, or a laptop or just a phone depending on what I am doing.

• Reply 31 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Interesting that Apple is reporting before AT&T this quarter. Isn't it usually the other way around?I remember last year at this time all the analysts on CNBC were "worried" because the numbers from AT&T and Verizon weren't as good as they expected and then Apple comes out and blows everyone away with a record quarter. image

I don't remember the dates but I just looked up and Apple had reported on 24th and AT&T on  26th.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/01/24Apple-Reports-First-Quarter-Results.html

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=22304&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=33762

• Reply 32 of 91
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

These figures in the article seem to be totally crap.

December quarter 2011: iPhone activation share at att= 81%

December quarter 2011: iPhone activation share at verizon = 55%

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/26/more_than_80_of_smartphones_activated_at_att_were_apples_iphone_.html

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/24/verizons_42m_q4_iphone_activations_were_more_than_half_of_its_smartphones_.html

not sure I am following your logic. could you elaborate? Are you implying there is an instantaneous 1:1 relationship between new activation and marketshare? 

• Reply 33 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

not sure I following your logic. could you elaborate? Are you implying there is an instantaneous 1:1 relationship between new activation and marketshare? 

I am not implying that. Both the article here and myself are talking about new sales over a 3 month period

• Reply 34 of 91

Quote:

I am not implying that. Both the article here and myself are talking about new sales over a 3 month period

I think you are on to something. Going to source of the article it says the data is for the 12 weeks ending Nov 25. NOT end of December.

"of the market for the 12 week period ending November 25th, 2012"

edit:  ok.. I don't know where this dec 25th announcement is at that this data came from. I cant find it on the web site. But comparing 12 weeks ending Nov 25th, vs this 12 weeks period ending Dec 25th, 2012 it would have to mean that Android got spanked hard over the 4 weeks before Christmas to cause the massive change in numbers between Nov 25th and Dec 25th to cause such shift in the overall 12 week window.

• Reply 35 of 91

check out these trends. It include the US data.

http://www.tech-thoughts.net/2012/12/smartphone-market-share-trends-by-country.html

the most comical one is Brazil, scroll down to the very bottom.  Symbian market share sky rocketing, iOS almost nil. WTH?

• Reply 36 of 91
    Android will drop even more when T-Mobile gets the iPhone/iPad in their line-up moving forward.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,267member
    snova wrote: »
    check out these trends. It include the US data.

http://www.tech-thoughts.net/2012/12/smartphone-market-share-trends-by-country.html

the most comical one is Brazil, scroll down to the very bottom.  Symbian market share sky rocketing, iOS almost nil. WTH?

The Brazilian market is totally corrupted by high import tariffs. Nobody can afford an iPhone 5. So they accept crappy old Symbian instead.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,267member
    It seems from these data that android lost share at AT&T and Verizon but made up for the loss on the smaller carriers. RIM though has cratered. And isn't windows8 doing well?
  • Reply 39 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. Read it again. The article specifically mentions "smartphone OS" every time it needs said. That means ALL iOS, not just phones.

The data anyway is rather "questionable", not to mention that "who's that analyst exactly?"

It's a bit ridiculous that Ai readers will pounce on questionable data that might shed a bad light on Apple, but accept  blindingly questionable data that shines a good light on Apple.

Questionable is questionable, end of story, in my humble opinion.

I'd be more interested in the percentage of currently active iPhones (all models). I see a lot of old iPhones (by the way, I hate the iPhone and iPhone 3G, I find the Playskool-design reminiscent of Microsoft XP, and if anyone disagrees, their own fault for having horrible design taste. Yes, I know, I could work at Fox News, I have all the capacity to allow others to have their own tastes of a Republican voter. I do love iPhone 4 that looks so industrial... but I always loved steel and glass. Anyway, back to my point. ) and these iPhones are obviously taking market share from Android phones or other brands, even though they're old.

Sales is not the most appropriate metric here, because it disregards "market retention", by which I mean that an Android user might change smartphones every year/24 months while an iPhone user will probably keep his phone several years. Happy customers don't feel the need to change, unless they're too rich (gimme ya money pleez, I needz cheezburga) or they're working in the media/art world. Or they're hipsters.

At least, from what I see.

• Reply 40 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

It seems from these data that android lost share at AT&T and Verizon but made up for the loss on the smaller carriers. RIM though has cratered. And isn't windows8 doing well?

RiM has pushed any new models out in the last year? Not that I ever bought anything from them, but I don't remember seeing any announcement. If they haven't, it might stand to reason that they're not selling much.