Apple's iOS retains top spot in US with over 51% share of smartphone OS sales for Q4 2012

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kenlobo wrote: »
    Apple is standing strong but it needs to keep innovating because the Chinese are trying to win the market. China has manufactured their own low priced iPhone look alikes.

How is that different from any other time in China in the last 40 years? The only differences now are that consumer electronics are moving toward highly refined devices and SW plays a major role. They aren't using iOS in these KIRFs. Most importantly is Apple's presence in China. Between their growing manufacturing, their increasing sales, larger number of "upper class" and fast growing "middle class" Apple's products and business are highly desired which affords Apple more protection and mindshare than it had in years past.

Or was this all just a way to plug a website?
  • Reply 82 of 91
    Looks like iOS gained marketshare at the expense of RIM, not Android.

Not so. If that were the case, RIM's loss would have been split along the iOS/Android market share proportions from the previous year. That did not happen; iOS picked up almost all of that RIM loss. It's an Apple gain.
  • Reply 83 of 91
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

I know from personal observation of friends recently purchased  Samsung phones; many are older models which can't easily be updated to the recent android OS.

Some of those Samsung users don't care, they are mainly interested in phone and text functions, even though they are paying the same for service as me using significant web services with my iPhone4.

The very low or $0 down payment for those older Samsung phones attracted them to it.

• Reply 84 of 91
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenlobo View Post

Apple is standing strong but it needs to keep innovating because the Chinese are trying to win the market. China has manufactured their own low priced iPhone look alikes.

China iPhone look alikes were being sold here a few years ago.

After about a year they disappeared, buyers soon discovered it takes more than a look alike to give iPhone function and lovely Apps. Many tried to dump them on our Craigslist FS, but they eventually gave up and trashed them or gave them to the kids as toys.

• Reply 85 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    cincytee wrote: »
    <quote>Looks like iOS gained marketshare at the expense of RIM, not Android.</quote>

Not so. If that were the case, RIM's loss would have been split along the iOS/Android market share proportions from the previous year. That did not happen; iOS picked up almost all of that RIM loss. It's an Apple gain.

Wrong. The Android number appears to be within the margin of error of what you'd expect if they had gained the proportionate share of RIM customers. That is, the data isn't good enough to make the claim you're making.

"Exactly what I was going to say. This was a loss for RIM, not Android."
    For Android not to grow in market percentage is extremely notable unto itself.

See above. The data does not support that statement.
    josha wrote: »
    I know from personal observation of friends recently purchased  Samsung phones; many are older models which can't easily be updated to the recent android OS.
    Some of those Samsung users don't care, they are mainly interested in phone and text functions, even though they are paying the same for service as me using significant web services with my iPhone4.

It's not just Samsung phones. For years, people have been buying Android phones with older versions of the OS and a promise that they'll be able to upgrade some day. Unfortunately, 'some day' never comes and very, very few Android phones ever have an upgrade available. Heck, the most recent data says that Gingerbread (2.3) still accounts for half of all Android handsets and versions newer than 2.3 only make up about 30% of all handsets in use:
    http://www.androidnova.org/tag/android-version-usage/
  • Reply 86 of 91
    jrocjroc Posts: 2member
    One thing this article is mentioning is a 12 week period from 2011 compared to a 12 week period in 2012. Its nice...an increase from last year at the same time frame.....but it isnt telling the overall picture.

wakefinance touched on it earlier....Android really didnt lose at all....overall. Rim did lose....overall. I'm basing this not on comparing a 12 week period from last year to this year....I'm comparing numbers for this year only.

http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Press_Releases/2013/1/comScore_Reports_November_2012_U.S._Mobile_Subscriber_Market_Share
  • Reply 87 of 91

Where are the year total numbers or total current share?

Why is it all any of the tech blogs ever report are quarterly numbers?

Don't you guys think we'd like to know where everything stands as in Totals currently, not just what the sales were of a specific month or range of months but current total market share?

It's great that Apple sold 51% of all smartphones in Q4... but if their market share at the time was 20%, and all smartphone sales slumped for the quarter how much of a gain is this really, or any at all?

I mean lets say going into quarter 4 it was 20% ios and 80% android, the point change for the year from this quarter made it 22% ios and 78% android... I'd like to know these things.

Can we get a report on current US market share? We all know globally it's something like 80% android. But I feel these headlines articles are misleading.

Do an article on current total market share for US. Not just sales percentages of specific quarters.

51% sales mean nothing...

• Reply 88 of 91
    jragosta wrote: »
    Wrong. The Android number appears to be within the margin of error of what you'd expect if they had gained the proportionate share of RIM customers. That is, the data isn't good enough to make the claim you're making.
    See above. The data does not support that statement.
    It's not just Samsung phones. For years, people have been buying Android phones with older versions of the OS and a promise that they'll be able to upgrade some day. Unfortunately, 'some day' never comes and very, very few Android phones ever have an upgrade available. Heck, the most recent data says that Gingerbread (2.3) still accounts for half of all Android handsets and versions newer than 2.3 only make up about 30% of all handsets in use:
    http://www.androidnova.org/tag/android-version-usage/
    If you are going to play the MOE game you have to also note that Apples lead could be much larger. Especially after seeing Verizon's real numbers.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jroc View Post

.....but it isnt telling the overall picture.

It's telling the overall picture of sales!

Quote:

wakefinance touched on it earlier....Android really didnt lose at all....

44.2 < 44.8. It's a tiny loss, but it's still a loss. Why is that so difficult to understand?

• Reply 90 of 91
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by truimagz View Post

Where are the year total numbers or total current share?

Why don't you click on the link directly above your post?

Figures published every month. 

Quote:

Can we get a report on current US market share? We all know globally it's something like 80% android. But I feel these headlines articles are misleading.

No. Only you know it's 80% globally. And my guess is, that you are now talking about sales share and not the installed base. It's your post that is misleading, not the OP.

Quote:

Do an article on current total market share for US. Not just sales percentages of specific quarters.

Put some effort in yourself.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/03/apples-share-of-us-mobile-phone-market-grows-to-185

Quote:

51% sales mean nothing...

Therefore 0% sales mean nothing, and 100% also? I get it.

• Reply 91 of 91

Originally Posted by truimagz View Post

Probably because we have things called quarterly earnings statements? Just a guess.

We all know globally it's something like 80% android. But I feel these headlines articles are misleading.

Irony.