Microsoft's Surface Pro to ship with as little as 36% of advertised storage available to users

Comments

• Reply 101 of 153
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

An SSD? A decent display? A capacitive touchscreen?

Plug it into PC peripherals; problem solved. It's a portable PC that you can take anywhere and plug into anything, or just use its screen when nothing else is available. That is, at least, how I regard the Windows 8 tablets, and that's why I would definitely buy a decent Windows 8 gaming tablet to use as a portable Steam Box merging the best of PC gaming with the best of console gaming.

A small SSD, ok great for performance, but come on, even with a full 64GB of free space is not much space for a windows machine, I can't imagine how a Windows machine 28GB of free space can be call a Pro product.  Calling a 10 in screen a decent display for Windows apps is ridiculous.  For gaming, Surface Pro is again a ridiculous device, do you really considering a real Windows gaming experience from netbook made processor and board?  Beside having a real keyboard and mouse, external PC peripherals won't bring the Surface Pro on par with regular and cheaper Laptops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

It's 1.99 lbs which is a tad heavy as a tablet but it's a pound or two lighter than the motion tablets I had.  The iPad is 1.46 lbs.

The UI is driven by touch, not the stylus.

The type cover keyboard is your usual plastic keyboard.  Described by Anand as:

"Surface Pro uses the same type and touch covers as Surface RT. These two remain the best tablet keyboards I've ever used, not in that they are great keyboards but they offer a great balance of usability and form factor. Type/touch cover really do feel like a cover that you never need to remove, whereas most other tablet keyboards make me feel like I've turned my tablet into a notebook." 

I played with it at the MS kiosk at the mall and I agree...they are very good tablet keyboards but not great keyboards overall.

The display is physically small but functional for drawing and taking notes on the go.  To some extent this depends on your visual acuity since it's a 1080p display...giving you the same screen real estate as the monitor I use at home.

At home or work and docked with a montor, BT keyboard and BT mouse it should be like any other Core i5 windows machine with integrated graphics...only with a 10" drawing pad.  Something some photoshop users will enjoy having.

"We also ran Surface RT with an external display, driving a behemoth, high-res monitor via the Pro’s Mini DisplayPort adapter. OK, that was a revelation. When attached to an external monitor, the Surface Pro really does become a full PC—and in this mode, the tablet itself can function as a drawing pad for full-fledged graphics applications, thanks to its included pen."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2024690/microsoft-surface-pro-hands-on-impressions-from-ces.html

Again, there is so many misconception about Tablet vs Desktop UI, the primary baby UI of Windows 8 (was is formally know as Metro) is indeed touch oriented, but none of productivity apps on windows use this UI, even on the Surface RT Microsoft decide to put a desktop oriented UI Office instead of designing a real touch Office for tablet.  None of the Surface Pro review has address the main concern about how good it can be for running real productivity apps like Adobe CS or Office, no word yet how it play crysis or any AAA PC games, get real, Surface Pro performance is at netbooks level, not a gaming computer.  With all of this said, why people still drool over the Surface Pro when you can have better and cheaper Laptop, Surface Pro appear to have many shortcoming without any distinct advantages over other netbook.  And args about the fact you can plug it on an external display for running windows apps kinda defeat the whole raison d'être of a tablet. 

• Reply 102 of 153
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

A small SSD, ok great for performance, but come on, even with a full 64GB of free space is not much space for a windows machine, I can't imagine how a Windows machine 28GB of free space can be call a Pro product.  Calling a 10 in screen a decent display for Windows apps is ridiculous.  For gaming, Surface Pro is again a ridiculous device, do you really considering a real Windows gaming experience from netbook made processor and board?  Beside having a real keyboard and mouse, external PC peripherals won't bring the Surface Pro on par with regular and cheaper Laptops.

1) you can get 128GB

2) a 10" 1080p screen has the same real estate as a 23" 1080p screen.  Just smaller so you'll need to be closer to the screen or have very good vision.

3) with integrated graphics it won't be a gaming machine but it's not a netbook processor and board.  It's a Core i5 and not an Atom.

Quote:

Again, there is so many misconception about Tablet vs Desktop UI, the primary baby UI of Windows 8 (was is formally know as Metro) is indeed touch oriented, but none of productivity apps on windows use this UI, even on the Surface RT Microsoft decide to put a desktop oriented UI Office instead of designing a real touch Office for tablet.  None of the Surface Pro review has address the main concern about how good it can be for running real productivity apps like Adobe CS or Office, no word yet how it play crysis or any AAA PC games, get real, Surface Pro performance is at netbooks level, not a gaming computer.  With all of this said, why people still drool over the Surface Pro when you can have better and cheaper Laptop, Surface Pro appear to have many shortcoming without any distinct advantages over other netbook.  And args about the fact you can plug it on an external display for running windows apps kinda defeat the whole raison d'être of a tablet. 

1) there is no misconception regarding the UIs.  This is why the Surface Pro pricing in this discussion always includes the keyboard and trackpad.

2) It should run Office, Adobe CS, Crysis, AAA PC games as well as any other Core i5 laptop with the same CPU/GPU specs.  In other words well for Office, pretty decent for Adobe CS and poorly for AAA games.

3) Why do people drool over Apple gear even though you can have better and cheaper laptops?  Because they are better than cheaper laptops.

4) The distinct advantage it has over netbooks is a Core i5 vs an Atom, hugely better build quality and a much much better screen.  These are the same hardware advantages enjoyed by the MBA over netbooks.

5) You can spell raison d'être but evidently not understand what it is for the Surface Pro.  It's an ultrabook/tablet hybrid.  Perhaps successful, perhaps not but there's a large number of folks that have been waiting for something like this.  Now it depends on MS' execution of the concept.  Now that's an iffy proposition but just looking at the hardware they seem to have done pretty well.

Nice avoidance of your incorrect facts (like cloth keyboard) by bloviating a bunch of more incorrect facts.

• Reply 103 of 153

Quote:

1) you can get 128GB

A standard $500 Netbook now come with 250GB HD, even 128GB for a Windows PC is pretty small with all the updates, softwares and systems restore stuff. I've an 64GB Bootcamp partition on my system, I got just enough space to install one games. I know you can't compare HD and SSD, but still 128GB is barely enough for 2013 Windows PCs.  SD card and USB drives only brings new levels of problems and limitations typical to the old Windows desktop paradigm that people wants to get off. 

2) a 10" 1080p screen has the same real estate as a 23" 1080p screen.  Just smaller so you'll need to be closer to the screen or have very good vision.

True if you only considering a regular PC with full size keyboard and mouse, but now how it work with touch input? Even with a mouse, it's just a pain in the a__ pointing small UI elements of Office apps I can't imagine it on the small Surface's trackpad, every Surface RT reviews are pointing this flaw when using desktop mode apps on it. You've got to admit, Microsoft owns apps are clutter with too much menus, toolbars, buttons, ribbons, etc which are unusable on small screen. Its even more absurd when you realize how much Microsoft has never care about wasting vertical screen estate with oversize title bars and ribbons, unfit with now à la mode widescreen aspect ratio designed for video content.  They absolutely got no clue at all with the Surface Pro, they put every features peoples desired for but without any direction. Looks more like Homer's Simpsons car to me than a revolutionary product. I wont recomend it for someone who want to replace his main laptop for work. 

3) with integrated graphics it won't be a gaming machine but it's not a netbook processor and board.  It's a Core i5 and not an Atom.

The low end i5 they put in made it one of the slowest new PC announced this year. You got a much better value with a $900 Laptop than a Surface Pro if you need a Windows PC for working with your apps you are already using. I won't recommend it for a student

1) there is no misconception regarding the UIs.  This is why the Surface Pro pricing in this discussion always includes the keyboard and trackpad.

And this is where Microsoft failed to really define his tablet platform.  The current Surface RT and Pro still have the same Tablet PC identity crisis, they can't decide if the keyboard and mouse should be mandatory or not, if so the laptop platform is still a better solution for mobile desktop computing.

2) It should run Office, Adobe CS, Crysis, AAA PC games as well as any other Core i5 laptop with the same CPU/GPU specs.  In other words well for Office, pretty decent for Adobe CS and poorly for AAA games.

Agree for Office and Adobe on performance, but my point was about the 10inch screen, those apps was never created on saving screen real state space and touch input, making those apps harder to work on the Surface than a Ultrabook. There is no part of which a Ultrabook can't equal or beat the Surface Pro for about the same price, this is why the Surface will sold poorly comparing to other PC form factor. I won't recommend it for gamers or child. 

3) Why do people drool over Apple gear even though you can have better and cheaper laptops?  Because they are better than cheaper laptops.

Apple is different than Samsung, HTC, and Microsoft.  They won't create a product just because there is a market for, they create something they want for them self and family, they cares much about their product. Microsoft is not doing Windows and Office for fun, they doing it because there is a market for they doesn't care much about taking risk, sharp decisions and redefine paradigm.  When Microsoft has creating a new market? I can count a few from Apple. And I got no problem to recommend a Mac or iDevices for what ever needs. 

4) The distinct advantage it has over netbooks is a Core i5 vs an Atom, hugely better build quality and a much much better screen.  These are the same hardware advantages enjoyed by the MBA over netbooks.

Nothing here is exclusive to Microsoft, nothing can stop Acer or Asus from producing a 10inch Ultrabook with the same specs.  What I'm saying is for using Windows apps, the laptop configuration is better than hybrid slate-laptop setup than Surface is. This is considering the laptop is cheaper than Surface. 

5) You can spell raison d'être but evidently not understand what it is for the Surface Pro.  It's an ultrabook/tablet hybrid.  Perhaps successful, perhaps not but there's a large number of folks that have been waiting for something like this.  Now it depends on MS' execution of the concept.  Now that's an iffy proposition but just looking at the hardware they seem to have done pretty well.

Thank you, I'm french speaking (not from France).  I think you see stars sparkles all around the Surface.  Surface is a more expensive Ultrabook with a smaller screen, keyboard and mouse and a more expensive and fatter tablet.  Microsoft really wants to merge a fridge with a toaster for pleasing everybody.  I won't recommend it for someone who only want running tablet apps.

Nice avoidance of your incorrect facts (like cloth keyboard) by bloviating a bunch of more incorrect facts.

My bad, doesn't change the fact that its still awkward to use it on your laps like a regular laptops. But you don't seam to recognize the tablet platform being a distinct and independent platform that needs specials cares and optimizations from apps developers. Apple made a clear statements on how touch device should interact by making touch screens the mandatory human interface, Apple could have port the finder on iOS (I bet they already have), but it make no sense to use a desktop apps on a tablet, this is why every windows tablet as ever failed and Surface Pro is making no differences.  I know i'm repeating my self but Surface and Windows 8 are likes The Homer, the car designed by Homer, even the Surface brand is recycle.

• Reply 104 of 153
    nht wrote: »
    1) you can get 128GB
    IMO either MS starts with 100+ gb or exclude office preinstalled.

Creatives using creative suite sits at almost 9gb min. Leaving 14gb for user files and scratch disk allocation. A pro photographer can blow that in a couple of shoots.
    there is no misconception regarding the UIs. This is why the Surface Pro pricing in this discussion always includes the keyboard and trackpad.

Huh? Surface pro only includes digitiser. $119-130 for keyboards separately. Not saying they are crud or anything but another added cost.

Adding to 128gb size surface with keyboard checks in at almost double ASP of windows laptops. Even above the Win 8 touch ultrabooks.
    3) Why do people drool over Apple gear even though you can have better and cheaper laptops? Because they are better than cheaper laptops.

Is the surface comparable?
    How 'better' compared to other cheaper win8 touch laptops from oems? Digitiser is the only difference. One could say Oems are more 'business' focused with proper keyboards, so MS is more 'creative'?

What I would be interested to know is how good is the software dealing with palm rejection. I've used friends note10.1 and software is quite bad (at least his note) also found the pen to be worse than the early Wacom bamboo pens, felt very flimsy.
  • Reply 105 of 153
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bigmac2 wrote: »
    A standard $500 Netbook now come with 256GB...

Netbooks come standard with 256GB SSDs for $500?
  • Reply 106 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Netbooks come standard with 256GB SSDs for $500?

I stated later that you can't really compare HD and SSD, I wasn't clear enough. 

• Reply 107 of 153
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nht wrote: »
    The Surface Pro has a (probably) wacom digitizer and a capactive touch screen.  The MBA does not.  
    The Surface Pro has an optically bonded screen like the iMac.
    The Surface Pro has a SDXC reader.  The MBA does not.
    The Surface Pro is 1920 x1080.  The MBA is 1366x768.
    The Surface Pro has a 42 Wh battery.  The MBA a 35 Wh battery.
    The Surface Pro has two 720p cameras.  The MBA has one.
    The Surface Pro has a gyroscope, compass/magnetometer and accelerometer.  The MBA does not.

The MBA has thunderbolt.  The Surface Pro does not.

/shrug

I think the Surface Pro is priced well against the MBA.  

Yes, one can find all sorts of silly 'features' to try to prove a silly point.

In reality, the market that a product falls into is defined by the usage pattern. For example:

iPad:
    ARM processor
    Does not run desktop apps
    Used mainly for content consumption, although content creation is possible
    Sold without keyboard, although external keyboard (Bluetooth) can be added.

Surface RT:
    ARM processor
    Does not run desktop apps
    Used mainly for content consumption, although content creation is possible
    Designed to be used without a keyboard, although an external keyboard can be added.

MBA:
    Laptop designed to run full desktop OS
    Runs most of platform's apps
    Has sufficient RAM to run platform's apps
    Keyboard is part of the system

Surface Pro: (keeping in mind that all of MS' advertisements include the keyboard as an integral part of the system):
    Laptop designed to run full desktop OS
    Runs most of platform's apps
    Has sufficient RAM to run platform's apps
    Keyboard is part of the system

Clearly, the RT competes against the iPad and the Pro competes against the MBA. There is some gray area, but not that much.
  • Reply 108 of 153
    A small SSD, ok great for performance, but come on, even with a full 64GB of free space is not much space for a windows machine, I can't imagine how a Windows machine 28GB of free space can be call a Pro product.

You'd be surprised to learn that I'm only using 57GB total on this MacBook Pro, because as a software engineer, I really don't need much more. My home directory alone is currently sitting at 20GB, and that's with iTunes media cluttering it.

Calling a 10 in screen a decent display for Windows apps is ridiculous.

Even a 3" screen can be a decent display, since I'm talking about display quality, not purpose. If the 10" screen is too small for you, you can always plug it to a desktop monitor and your problem is solved. My use case for a tablet like this would always be that of a portable PC that I can take with me and hook anywhere, with the screen on it being a nice non-essential addition. In Apple's terms, picture a thin and lightweight Mac Mini with a display. Lastly, that 10" screen isn't that much smaller than the MacBook Air's 11" screen...

For gaming, Surface Pro is again a ridiculous device, do you really considering a real Windows gaming experience from netbook made processor and board?  Beside having a real keyboard and mouse, external PC peripherals won't bring the Surface Pro on par with regular and cheaper Laptops.

This is a straw man fallacy. I never claimed that the Surface Pro itself was a decent gaming tablet, nor did I ever claim that I would buy a Surface Pro, quite the opposite, as you should realize by reading my other posts to this thread. Regarding specs, the Surface Pro is quite superior to a "cheap" netbook, not only for the aforementioned reasons, but also because it sports a Core i5 rather than an Atom, putting it at the same level as the 11" MacBook Air as far as hardware is concerned.
  • Reply 109 of 153

I read the above contributions with interest.

As mentioned earlier, I belong to Microsoft haters category, due to the fact I have been forced to use their miserable products during my entire career, but let's put aside this for a moment.

What is fascinating with Microsoft is how much they can come up with confusing choices, not just for the user, but also for the consumer in search of information about their products.

Just for fun (I am not interested, I run LibreOffice), I recently tried to get an answer to this simple question : how much would cost me an OS X version of Excel on my Mac, and would that version run VBA code ?

I was amazed of the incredible price range I got, and the fact that the answer to the second question is still unclear to me. 

Although PC lovers like to argue on spec sheets, nothing like this is the Apple world : equivalent product information can be obtained easily.

I just really do not understand Microsoft.

• Reply 110 of 153
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    A standard $500 Netbook now come with 250GB HD, even 128GB for a Windows PC is pretty small with all the updates, softwares and systems restore stuff. I've an 64GB Bootcamp partition on my system, I got just enough space to install one games. I know you can't compare HD and SSD, but still 128GB is barely enough for 2013 Windows PCs.  SD card and USB drives only brings new levels of problems and limitations typical to the old Windows desktop paradigm that people wants to get off.

I find it amusing that you keep comparing the Surface Pro to cheap netbooks when its 128GB model has better specs than the 64GB 11" MacBook Air, despite costing exactly the same. I'd also like to see one of those $500 netbooks with 256GB SSDs that you speak of.

True if you only considering a regular PC with full size keyboard and mouse, but now how it work with touch input? Even with a mouse, it's just a pain in the a__ pointing small UI elements of Office apps I can't imagine it on the small Surface's trackpad, every Surface RT reviews are pointing this flaw when using desktop mode apps on it. You've got to admit, Microsoft owns apps are clutter with too much menus, toolbars, buttons, ribbons, etc which are unusable on small screen. Its even more absurd when you realize how much Microsoft has never care about wasting vertical screen estate with oversize title bars and ribbons, unfit with now à la mode widescreen aspect ratio designed for video content.  They absolutely got no clue at all with the Surface Pro, they put every features peoples desired for but without any direction. Looks more like Homer's Simpsons car to me than a revolutionary product. I wont recomend it for someone who want to replace his main laptop for work.

The niche for the Surface Pro is that of a portable PC that you can take anywhere and plug to anything, with a built-in screen and capacitive multitouch interface that works both with your fingers and a stylus when nothing else is available.

The low end i5 they put in made it one of the slowest new PC announced this year. You got a much better value with a $900 Laptop than a Surface Pro if you need a Windows PC for working with your apps you are already using. I won't recommend it for a student

What do you mean by low end? It's an Ivy Bridge core i5, same as on the MacBook Air!

And this is where Microsoft failed to really define his tablet platform.  The current Surface RT and Pro still have the same Tablet PC identity crisis, they can't decide if the keyboard and mouse should be mandatory or not, if so the laptop platform is still a better solution for mobile desktop computing.

Perhaps, but I'd rather let the market decide about that. Until now, all tablet PC implementations have been low-quality crap, but this trend seems to be coming to an end, so I'm hopeful that in the future I will actually see something worth considering. The aforementioned Razer Windows 8 gaming tablet, for example, appeals me as a Steam Box and general purpose PC. Hopefully other brands such as Valve themselves or Logitech will follow suit and bring decent portable PC gaming platforms to the market that can function as consoles when connected to PC peripherals and TVs while still offering a touchscreen when nothing else is available.

Agree for Office and Adobe on performance, but my point was about the 10inch screen, those apps was never created on saving screen real state space and touch input, making those apps harder to work on the Surface than a Ultrabook. There is no part of which a Ultrabook can't equal or beat the Surface Pro for about the same price, this is why the Surface will sold poorly comparing to other PC form factor. I won't recommend it for gamers or child. 

You seem to keep forgetting that the Surface Pro has a 1080p screen despite the fact that it has been repeated to you countless times, meaning it has as much screen real estate as the 21.5" iMac, more than even the 15" classic MacBook Pro with the screen upgrade, and sits at about the same pixel density as the Retina MacBook Pros (208PPI vs. 214PPI). Using a touchscreen is about as comfortable as using a trackpad in that you will always want a mouse for productivity.

Apple is different than Samsung, HTC, and Microsoft.  They won't create a product just because there is a market for, they create something they want for them self and family, they cares much about their product. Microsoft is not doing Windows and Office for fun, they doing it because there is a market for they doesn't care much about taking risk, sharp decisions and redefine paradigm.  When Microsoft has creating a new market? I can count a few from Apple. And I got no problem to recommend a Mac or iDevices for what ever needs.

That was Jobs' Apple, which died with him. Current Apple is living on Jobs' legacy and momentum, but that won't last.

Nothing here is exclusive to Microsoft, nothing can stop Acer or Asus from producing a 10inch Ultrabook with the same specs.  What I'm saying is for using Windows apps, the laptop configuration is better than hybrid slate-laptop setup than Surface is. This is considering the laptop is cheaper than Surface.

Which it isn't.

My bad, doesn't change the fact that its still awkward to use it on your laps like a regular laptops. But you don't seam to recognize the tablet platform being a distinct and independent platform that needs specials cares and optimizations from apps developers. Apple made a clear statements on how touch device should interact by making touch screens the mandatory human interface, Apple could have port the finder on iOS (I bet they already have), but it make no sense to use a desktop apps on a tablet, this is why every windows tablet as ever failed and Surface Pro is making no differences.  I know i'm repeating my self but Surface and Windows 8 are likes The Homer, the car designed by Homer, even the Surface brand is recycle.

With a tablet, you no longer need a laptop on your lap, but your tablet can still be your laptop, and it can run both tablet and desktop apps. Will that vision succeed? Only time will tell, I personally don't think Microsoft has what it takes to make it happen, but I'm fully convinced that should the concept be properly executed, either by Microsoft, Apple, or anyone else, it will succeed.
  • Reply 111 of 153
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

You forgot one thing. You can use a MacBook Air on your lap.

Floppy keyboard + kickstand = laptop you can't use on your lap. Add to this a stylus to lose and you have an awkwardly designed alternative to an ultrabook (never mind MBA: look at all the other options if you don't like Macs) that exactly proves Jobs's point that a notebook that attempts to encroach in the tablet space has to include awkward compromises.

Quote:

The Surface Pro has a (probably) wacom digitizer and a capactive touch screen.  The MBA does not.  

The Surface Pro has an optically bonded screen like the iMac.

The Surface Pro has a SDXC reader.  The MBA does not.

The Surface Pro is 1920 x1080.  The MBA is 1366x768.

The Surface Pro has a 42 Wh battery.  The MBA a 35 Wh battery.

The Surface Pro has two 720p cameras.  The MBA has one.

The Surface Pro has a gyroscope, compass/magnetometer and accelerometer.  The MBA does not.

The MBA has thunderbolt.  The Surface Pro does not.

/shrug

I think the Surface Pro is priced well against the MBA.  

Regarding the demographics...windows users run the gamut of demographics and the top tier ultrabooks are priced similarly.  The build quality has been uniformly reported as very high and they use injected moulded magnesium (VaporMg) and not plastic.  I think MS has been very smart with respect to Surface pricing where they build a flagship device with a built in significant price umbrella for their OEM partners.  

Unlike Google that effectively cratered the profitability of every other 7" tablet maker not named Amazon or Apple.

Again, my point is that neither the MBA nor the Surface pro is a desktop, expensive or otherwise.

My thoughts are I wish it had thunderbolt and Haswell.  If anything makes me not get the launch Surface Pro is the fact that simply replacing the CPU with Haswell is going to vastly improve both GPU performance and battery life...although not at the same time. :)  The Surface Pro 2 is going to be a major improvement like going from the original MBA to what we have today.  

That might be as early as fall 2013 in time for XMas.

• Reply 112 of 153
    philipm wrote: »
    You forgot one thing. You can use a MacBook Air on your lap.

Tablets cover that niche perfectly. With a tablet you don't need a laptop on your lap.
  • Reply 113 of 153

Quote:

Do a need to remembering you the Surface "Pro" is a 10inch netbook...

The Core i5 ULV chip is in a distinctly different class to your average netbook.

Quote:

Have you ever use Office or Photoshop on a 10 in screen? 

I have. It works fine... in the same way that an 11.6" Ultrabook or MBA is fine. Actually a 13.3" Ultrabook or MBA isn't appreciably better either.

I wouldn't use any of these devices as my primary PC, which is why I reserve that task for a desktop and 27" monitor.

Of course you could plug a Surface Pro into a 27" monitor if you were so inclined, but the available power is still questionable for a primary PC (I mean... who wants to use Photoshop without a full spec Core i7 and 16GB of RAM right?)

Having hopped on the hybrid train a few months back I can tell you that where this form factor really shines is as a portable "out and about" device.

I used to take my iPad and a laptop wherever I went, now I get away with carrying the one device which happens to be way more convenient that the combination of the other two devices.

The funny thing is that I originally had the same idea as you (10" screen sucks for anything but being a tablet) but now that I've owned a hybrid device I'd actually like to do more "laptop tasks" on it rather than less.

That obviously puts the Surface Pro into my sites. Drive space is a non-issue (just buy the 128GB version and a 64GB micro SDXC card) as is weight (I'm not a girl!) or size.

The biggest question mark is battery-life, which is rumoured to be a touch over 5 hours.

In any case this form factor is going to really shine over the next couple of Intel chipset generations.

• Reply 114 of 153

Quote:

You seem to keep forgetting that the Surface Pro has a 1080p screen despite the fact that it has been repeated to you countless times, meaning it has as much screen real estate as the 21.5" iMac, more than even the 15" classic MacBook Pro with the screen upgrade, and sits at about the same pixel density as the Retina MacBook Pros (208PPI vs. 214PPI). Using a touchscreen is about as comfortable as using a trackpad in that you will always want a mouse for productivity.

That was Jobs' Apple, which died with him. Current Apple is living on Jobs' legacy and momentum, but that won't last.

Which it isn't.

I'm not forgetting how much 1080p seam to be an orgasmic specs without any merit to many and the iPad got a better but not as popular resolution than Surface Pro, so what? the mouse pointer in Windows is still a 16x16 pixels icons and still doesnt got any sort of HiDPI support like OSX and iOS to make Retina display works.  The touchescreen is unusable for Desktop Apps with such a small and hi density screen .

Talking of fallacious speaking, Apple can do things like the Retina MacBook and HiDPI OS support without Jobs, just like any other firms.

Quote:

Tablets cover that niche perfectly. With a tablet you don't need a laptop on your lap.

But Surface Pro is not mean to run non-existent Metro Apps, is a Windows PC depending of a keyboard and mouse for using productivity Windows Apps. 

• Reply 115 of 153
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    vaelian wrote: »
    I find it amusing that you keep comparing the Surface Pro to cheap netbooks when its 128GB model has better specs than the 64GB 11" MacBook Air, despite costing exactly the same.

It really amazes me that you never get tired of posting nonsense.

Price:
    128 GB Surface Pro is $999. Add $130 for the cheaper keyboard and you're at $1129 ($1199 if you choose the better keyboard).
    MacBook Air 64 GB is $999. The 128 GB version is $1099. Keyboard included.

So right off the bat, you're wrong about price. Oh, wait - you're ignoring the keyboard. In that case, you lose the specs argument even more since your system wouldn't have a keyboard. Not to mention, of course, that Microsoft clearly expects that most of these will be sold with a keyboard - have you seen a single advertisement for the surface pro that doesn't involve that silly clicking nonsense?

"Better specs":

Screen size:
    MBA - 11"
    SP - 10"

CPU
    MBA - i5 or i7
    SP - i5 (and the i5 is not as good as the one in the MBA)

Frankly, your "better specs for the same price" drivel doesn't hold water.
  • Reply 116 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I have. It works fine... in the same way that an 11.6" Ultrabook or MBA is fine. Actually a 13.3" Ultrabook or MBA isn't appreciably better either.

I wouldn't use any of these devices as my primary PC, which is why I reserve that task for a desktop and 27" monitor.

Of course you could plug a Surface Pro into a 27" monitor if you were so inclined, but the available power is still questionable for a primary PC (I mean... who wants to use Photoshop without a full spec Core i7 and 16GB of RAM right?)

Having hopped on the hybrid train a few months back I can tell you that where this form factor really shines is as a portable "out and about" device.

I used to take my iPad and a laptop wherever I went, now I get away with carrying the one device which happens to be way more convenient that the combination of the other two devices.

The funny thing is that I originally had the same idea as you (10" screen sucks for anything but being a tablet) but now that I've owned a hybrid device I'd actually like to do more "laptop tasks" on it rather than less.

That obviously puts the Surface Pro into my sites. Drive space is a non-issue (just buy the 128GB version and a 64GB micro SDXC card) as is weight (I'm not a girl!) or size.

The biggest question mark is battery-life, which is rumoured to be a touch over 5 hours.

In any case this form factor is going to really shine over the next couple of Intel chipset generations.

There is a world of difference between 1366 x 768 on a 11.6 inch and a 1920x1080 on a 10 inch screen,  One works fine for running legacy desktop applications, the other won't.  It won't be an issue if Surface was like the iPad and only running apps made for this form factor, but this is not the case here, Surface Pro sales pitch is around running legacy apps.

Adding a SDXC card is only good for media, it wont give you more space for installing software and most people can't manage external storage efficiently.  28GB of free space on the main Windows volume is not enough for installing Pro apps. 

• Reply 117 of 153
    There is a world of difference between 1366 x 768 on a 11.6 inch and a 1920x1080 on a 10 inch screen,  One works fine for running legacy desktop applications, the other won't.  It won't be an issue if Surface was like the iPad and only running apps made for this form factor, but this is not the case here, Surface Pro is sale pitch is around running legacy apps.

What's the problem with legacy apps? The way I see it is more like: people who buy an iPad can only ever extract tablet functionality out of it whereas people who buy a Surface Pro can extract both tablet and desktop functionality out of it, not to mention that it runs Windows, so they can even use it for some of the stuff they use their desktops for, probably not optimally, but at least the potential is there, while on the iPad it simply isn't, and the MacBook Air is not a tablet.

Adding a SDXC card is only good for media, it wont give you more space for installing software, most people can't manage external storage efficiently.  28GB of free space on the main Windows volume is not enough for installing Pro apps. 

There's a 128GB model at the same price as the 64MB MacBook Air.
  • Reply 118 of 153
    There is a world of difference between 1366 x 768 on a 11.6 inch and a 1920x1080 on a 10 inch screen

The Surface's display is certainly better in that sense but I'm not sure it's a world of difference as most Windows apps run on less than 1080p display.

Also, I doubt it will be an issue of long as the MBAs are probably the next set of Macs to get the Retina bump providing that battery life and performance are still within reasonable levels. This is where I trust Apple to do the right thing but have little to no faith in others that will use certain specs to advertise a product without concern how that spec will affect other areas of the devices.
  • Reply 119 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The Surface's display is certainly better in that sense but I'm not sure it's a world of difference as most Windows apps run on less than 1080p display.

Also, I doubt it will be an issue of long as the MBAs are probably the next set of Macs to get the Retina bump providing that battery life and performance are still within reasonable levels. This is where I trust Apple to do the right thing but have little to no faith in others that will use certain specs to advertise a product without concern how that spec will affect other areas of the devices.

Why anybody realize how small UI elements become when you augment resolution and diminish screen size at the same time.  The Apple retina solution won't have work without the software support that comes with, Windows 8 doesn't have that kind of support to make the Surface screen works at HiDPI

Good luck with using UI cluttered office apps.  

• Reply 120 of 153
    Why anybody realize how small UI elements become when you augment resolution and diminish screen size at the same time.  The Apple retina solution won't have work without the software support that comes with, Windows 8 doesn't have that kind of support to make the Surface screen works at HiDPI

Good luck with using UI cluttered office apps.

In MS's defense there Windows Presentation Foundation, apps being DPI aware, and their settings to alter UI elements are much better than anything Apple has put out to support odd size and pixel density displays so that 1920z1080 display could be made more usable with a couple minutes of tinkering. I wish Apple had done some of these intermediate solutions years ago I'm quite happy with their push in Retina-izing their displays.