Apple says new Apple TV isn't redesigned, just features minor tweaks

Comments

• Reply 81 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No of course they don't but why need 2 devices? It's kinda going back to carrying a cell phone, a MP3 player, and a PDA.

So you carry around your streaming box?  As for "needing" two devices, the Apple TV is considered icing on the ecosystem cake and Apple already assumes that you have either an iphone/ipod, ipad or a mac first.  If you don't, then you can still use it but it will have limitations.  If you don't like that then it's not the device for you.  My main gripe were the outright lies regarding content.  One poster even stated some bull about not wanting to be "tied to iTunes" which is straight up untrue.  You can own an Apple TV and NEVER touch iTunes (Netflix, Hulu+, YouTube, Vimeo, 3+ Sports "channels", Radio, Livestreams (Music Festivals and Keynotes), Podcasts).  Sounds like quite a bit of content to me.  And of course the rebuttal consists of a bunch of premium channels that certainly are not available to other streaming boxes out of the box that you can access with the Apple TV if you already have another apple device.

Basically, if one is going to be critical of something at least let that criticism be valid.  I'm not going around trashing Android because it doesn't mop my kitchen floors.

• Reply 82 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

LOL. That one comment indicates your level of cluelessness.

what are you talking about?  The official apple position in 2007 was to limit iPhone apps to Web 2.0 apps which produced limited results.  A year later they gave developers an SDK to write native apps and the results have been phenomenal.  At the time Steve Jobs said they did the SDK/App Store because developers asked to be able to do more than they could via Web2.0.

Apple TV faces a similar situation today.  Airplay Mirroring is to AppleTV what Web 2.0 was to iPhone.  It allows more content, but is limiting.  In the case of airplay mirroring, it is also inconvenient.  Some apps block airplay streaming.  And you can't watch the programming and use your iPad at the same time if the iPad is doing the streaming.  Also, Airplay streaming introduces a lag, so is problematic for games.

AppleTV runs iOS.  Free it from it's current limitations with an App store before it's too late.  An app store done right, not the mess that is Google TV.  Otherwise Roku, smart blu ray players and smart TVs will make the Apple TV irrelevant.

• Reply 83 of 123
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Showtime, Cinemax and HBO require a subscription to their services to access their content and if you have a subscription then you don't need to airplay it because you access that through your cable box.  As for Amazon Instant Video, that would be Amazon's fault (or their content providers) as they could turn on airplay easily on their end AND if you can access that on your mac with Mountain Lion then you can mirror it (same with BBC Player).  So basically no valid criticism regarding content.

It is a criticism.  And please... please lets not mention it being Amazon's fault.  Being on Apple TV only benefits Amazon.  It is Apple that is holding the strings here as it doesn't benefit them- which is fine, But call a spade a spade.  Amazon & HBO Go are on every single streamer out there except Apples.  They have such a strong personal vendetta against Apple that it's worth hurting themselves in the process?

To your point about mirroring on your Mac- fine.  So if Apple TV dropped Netflix and Hulu +, that'd be cool with everyone because you can just mirror it?  Seriously.  The point is every other streamer has it- Apple doesn't.  That's one thing I agree that Tallest Ski always says- he hates having to stream his iTunes and leave his computer on- he wants dedicated storage through Time capsule- a smart idea.  Using Mirroring, we're forcing that to run Amazon prime or HBO when we shouldn't have to.  Mirroring is incredible- but it shouldnt be required for simple video streaming apps.

As for HBO/Showtime/Cinemax needing a subscription.  Yes, they do.  So does Netflix.  So does Hulu +.  You can't watch it through your cable box.  Unless you have HBO, and go to their on demand through cable, and then look at their content on HBO go through your iPad- then you don't know what you're talking about.  I don't mean this rudely, but you need to educate yourself on it before forming a valid opinion.  You're just speaking and guessing.  I see it for myself.  U-verse on demand vs HBO Go isn't even 25% of the content.  

Quote:

I haven't found that in my own experience BUT if that is the case then you would access your cable account (in my case it was xfinity/comcast) and play it online and then do mirroring.  I highly doubt that these other boxes are giving people HBO for free.

They aren't.  But the content isn't there on Demand.

Quote:

Basically, if one is going to be critical of something at least let that criticism be valid.  I'm not going around trashing Android because it doesn't mop my kitchen floors.

I don't get this point.  If every other phone could mop the kitchen floors, then an Android should.  Every other box can stream HBO or Amazon or Pandora or BBC.  So why not Apple TV?

We aren't talking about streaming live NFL games or something crazy that no one else offers.  We're talking about simple apps that everyone offers.  And not forcing you to have a 2 year old Mac that you have to keep on and go to, which can be extremely inconvenient (my iMac is in the office for example- so I'd have to get up from the couch and go to another part of the house- wake up the computer, open safari, etc. etc).

I fail to see how you can't recognize this criticism as being valid.

• Reply 84 of 123

Quote:

So you carry around your streaming box?  As for "needing" two devices, the Apple TV is considered icing on the ecosystem cake and Apple already assumes that you have either an iphone/ipod, ipad or a mac first.  If you don't, then you can still use it but it will have limitations.  If you don't like that then it's not the device for you.  My main gripe were the outright lies regarding content.  One poster even stated some bull about not wanting to be "tied to iTunes" which is straight up untrue.  You can own an Apple TV and NEVER touch iTunes (Netflix, Hulu+, YouTube, Vimeo, 3+ Sports "channels", Radio, Livestreams (Music Festivals and Keynotes), Podcasts).  Sounds like quite a bit of content to me.  And of course the rebuttal consists of a bunch of premium channels that certainly are not available to other streaming boxes out of the box that you can access with the Apple TV if you already have another apple device.

it's like saying my TV can get NBC and CBS, so why does it need ABC, there's plenty of content on NBC and CBS.  Nevermind the sports fans who want monday night football and the nba finals.

• Reply 85 of 123

if you subscribe to HBO, you can watch it on your home tv.  HBO Go is designed to let subscribers watch HBO while they are traveling.  If you are traveling with Roku, you can watch HBO in your hotel room TV without bringing a computer.  If you are traveling with AppleTV, you can't.  Not even if you have an iPad.

This reminds me of one more thing they desperately need to fix on AppleTV.  It doesn't let you sign into the internet at a hotel. So expand my list slightly

HDMI 1.4 with 3D support

App Store

Global Search

Ability to sign into a hotel's wifi network

• Reply 86 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It is a criticism.  And please... please lets not mention it being Amazon's fault.  Being on Apple TV only benefits Amazon.  It is Apple that is holding the strings here as it doesn't benefit them- which is fine, But call a spade a spade.  Amazon & HBO Go are on every single streamer out there except Apples.  They have such a strong personal vendetta against Apple that it's worth hurting themselves in the process?

To your point about mirroring on your Mac- fine.  So if Apple TV dropped Netflix and Hulu +, that'd be cool with everyone because you can just mirror it?  Seriously.  The point is every other streamer has it- Apple doesn't.  That's one thing I agree that Tallest Ski always says- he hates having to stream his iTunes and leave his computer on- he wants dedicated storage through Time capsule- a smart idea.  Using Mirroring, we're forcing that to run Amazon prime or HBO when we shouldn't have to.  Mirroring is incredible- but it shouldnt be required for simple video streaming apps.

As for HBO/Showtime/Cinemax needing a subscription.  Yes, they do.  So does Netflix.  So does Hulu +.  You can't watch it through your cable box.  Unless you have HBO, and go to their on demand through cable, and then look at their content on HBO go through your iPad- then you don't know what you're talking about.  I don't mean this rudely, but you need to educate yourself on it before forming a valid opinion.  You're just speaking and guessing.  I see it for myself.  U-verse on demand vs HBO Go isn't even 25% of the content.  

They aren't.  But the content isn't there on Demand.

I don't get this point.  If every other phone could mop the kitchen floors, then an Android should.  Every other box can stream HBO or Amazon or Pandora or BBC.  So why not Apple TV?

I fail to see how you can't recognize this criticism as being valid.

1) If Amazon isn't allowing you to airplay videos then it IS their fault because any app or website can do it if they WANT to so if it's not there then they decided not to do it.

2)  You clearly have not read jack about the fight HBO has had with Apple regarding it's content.  The fact that there even is an HBO Go app for iOS is a miracle.  As for other streaming boxes having it and the Apple TV doesn't, please see the case study of Amazon having DRM free music before iTunes.  The music industry did that for the express purpose of bolstering Amazon's music store so that they weren't completely relying on Apple for music sales and the same tactics are being done with video.  Unlike music DRM though, Apple has provided a work around with mirroring.  Maybe YOU should educate yourself.

3)  Um, I worked for Xfinity/Comcast and got all of there services free of charge during my employment there.  If you go through your cable providers website to access content, whatever is in HBO Go is on there, i.e use mirroring.

4)  The criticism isn't valid when your criticism is limited to ONLY how YOU want to access things as if there is NO way to access it and there clearly is.

• Reply 87 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

if you subscribe to HBO, you can watch it on your home tv.  HBO Go is designed to let subscribers watch HBO while they are traveling.  If you are traveling with Roku, you can watch HBO in your hotel room TV without bringing a computer.  If you are traveling with AppleTV, you can't.  Not even if you have an iPad.

You're such a whiner.  Just travel with your 27" iMac, and mirror it to your Apple TV.  Duh!

• Reply 88 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

it's like saying my TV can get NBC and CBS, so why does it need ABC, there's plenty of content on NBC and CBS.  Nevermind the sports fans who want monday night football and the nba finals.

Um, your two sports examples are available OTA so what is your point?  And you still haven't named a "channel" that other streaming boxes have that Apple TV doesn't.  AFAIK, Amazon Video doesn't count because it is basically the same as netflix and iTunes therefore switch service.

• Reply 89 of 123

I know Apple wants to force us to the itunes store for content, but I'm getting tired of it. Amazon as an app obviously doesn't happen because it directly affects apples business model with apple tv. But I have to say, interface for the content available should embarrass apple. I'll agree with what has been said a million times.  I am sick of running itunes on my mini to access my movies. And I hate that the apple tv doesn't keep movies all in one place.  I have to select movies for content purchased through itunes, but computer for my own movies. And the interface under "Computers" is laughable at this point. I'm ranting... the point is, the things that are already available on apple tv are a mess.

• Reply 90 of 123
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    alandail wrote: »

This reminds me of one more thing they desperately need to fix on AppleTV.  It doesn't let you sign into the internet at a hotel. So expand my list slightly

HDMI 1.4 with 3D support
    App Store
    Global Search
    Ability to sign into a hotel's wifi network

Can you watch the entire series of Entourage or The Wire on HBO on demand? No, those can only be viewed on HBO Go.
  • Reply 91 of 123

Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

And the interface under "Computers" is laughable at this point.

I agree with everything you've said except this. What's wrong with it? It's as simple as humanly possible.

• Reply 92 of 123

Quote:

Um, your two sports examples are available OTA so what is your point?  And you still haven't named a "channel" that other streaming boxes have that Apple TV doesn't.  AFAIK, Amazon Video doesn't count because it is basically the same as netflix and iTunes therefore switch service.

Are you deaf?  Can you not read?

HBO GO HBO GO HBO GO

SHOWTIME SHOWTIME SHOWTIME

CINEMAX CINEMAX CINEMAX

BBC BBC BBC

VUDU VUDU VUDU

PANDORA PANDORA PANDORA

Don't give me the idiocy of freaking MIRRORING!  You can't be reasoned with!

• Reply 93 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

I know Apple wants to force us to the itunes store for content, but I'm getting tired of it. Amazon as an app obviously doesn't happen because it directly affects apples business model with apple tv. But I have to say, interface for the content available should embarrass apple. I'll agree with what has been said a million times.  I am sick of running itunes on my mini to access my movies. And I hate that the apple tv doesn't keep movies all in one place.  I have to select movies for content purchased through itunes, but computer for my own movies. And the interface under "Computers" is laughable at this point. I'm ranting... the point is, the things that are already available on apple tv are a mess.

Bull.  If Apple only cared about iTunes content then why are they adding more and more icons to the grid of icons on my Apple TV every other update that has nada to do with iTunes?  As for hating the fact that you have to leave your mini on to access your movies, part of that blame is with consumers who constantly emailed Apple complaining that the original Apple TV with onboard storage was "too confusing" and that streaming was enough.  I will sell you my OG Apple TV for the cost of the new one (refurbished so $89 instead of $99).

• Reply 94 of 123

HBO GO HBO GO HBO GO

CINEMAX CINEMAX CINEMAX

BBC BBC BBC

PANDORA PANDORA PANDORA

The prevention of AirPlay for these apps is on purpose by their creators.

Hopefully you can comprehend that, as I'm not going to paste it twice more.

• Reply 95 of 123

Quote:

Are you deaf?  Can you not read?

HBO GO HBO GO HBO GO

CINEMAX CINEMAX CINEMAX

BBC BBC BBC

VUDU VUDU VUDU

PANDORA PANDORA PANDORA

Don't give me the idiocy of freaking MIRRORING!  You can't be reasoned with!

Download your cable providers tv app and if it is xfinity at least you can access ALL of the episodes and seasons of shows from those networks (except vudu and BBC) and then freaking mirror them.  If you don't like that solution then take your rant to those networks' main offices.  I am sure they will ignore you but at least you can say that you did something more than go on a caps filled rant on a website that can't do anything about your problem.

• Reply 96 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I agree with everything you've said except this. What's wrong with it? It's as simple as humanly possible.

I like the pages of cover art available under movies... I don't disagree that it is as simply as humanly possible, as long as you are literate... my youngest is able to navigate, but struggles because you have to flip through every movie to see cover art.  Netflix, as a contrast, is no problem for her.

• Reply 97 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Tallest- that is not a workaround!  Even if Airplay worked you are still dedicating your iPad to that- nothing else.  So now I've purchased an iPad and Apple TV to do what any other streamer can do.  We shouldn't be forced to Airplay when they are on every single other streamer.  Amazon would love to be on the Apple TV.  Who in their right mind would pay for Netflix when you can get Amazon Instant for less money and free 2 day shipping to boot?

The underlined is my main point.

• Reply 98 of 123
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Because it's idiotic. Why aren't these services on Apple TV? Is that their fault or Apple's? They already offer the app for the iPod/iPhone/iPad so why not Apple TV? Who's blocking whom? Think of it this way, what if the iPhone didn't include a iPod? What if you could only stream your music from the iPod to the iPhone?
  • Reply 99 of 123

Quote:

Bull.  If Apple only cared about iTunes content then why are they adding more and more icons to the grid of icons on my Apple TV every other update that has nada to do with iTunes?  As for hating the fact that you have to leave your mini on to access your movies, part of that blame is with consumers who constantly emailed Apple complaining that the original Apple TV with onboard storage was "too confusing" and that streaming was enough.  I will sell you my OG Apple TV for the cost of the new one (refurbished so $89 instead of $99).

You have all the answers... we are lucky to have you.

• Reply 100 of 123

Quote:

Download your cable providers tv app and if it is xfinity at least you can access ALL of the episodes and seasons of shows from those networks (except vudu and BBC) and then freaking mirror them.  If you don't like that solution then take your rant to those networks' main offices.  I am sure they will ignore you but at least you can say that you did something more than go on a caps filled rant on a website that can't do anything about your problem.

You're unreal!  Do I have to complain to the cable office for it to work on Roku?  How about XBOX 360?  How about PS3?  How about the crappiest box in the world- Google TV?  They all have it.  It's not a cable issue- it's Apple.

True, if Comcast doesn't allow HBO at that point, then it's the cable companies fault.  But we don't even get to that point because we can't access it via Apple TV.

But hey- at least I named two more "channels" that are on other boxes the Apple TV doesn't have.  Hopefully those are satisfactory enough for you.