Apple says new Apple TV isn't redesigned, just features minor tweaks

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

You have all the answers... we are lucky to have you.

I take back all my other replies.  I agree with this.  We are lucky to have you.

Something funny I noticed about Freckle"mirroring is the solution"dbruh-  his signature mentions a 2010 Mac Mini- something you can't even Mirror with. Oh the irony...

• Reply 102 of 123
    andysol wrote: »
    I take back all my other replies.  I agree with this.  We are lucky to have you.

You're unreal!  Do I have to complain to the cable office for it to work on Roku?  How about XBOX 360?  How about PS3?  How about the crappiest box in the world- Google TV?  They all have it.  It's not a cable issue- it's Apple.

True, if Comcast doesn't allow HBO at that point, then it's the cable companies fault.  But we don't even get to that point because we can't access it via Apple TV.

But hey- at least I named two more "channels" that are on other boxes the Apple TV doesn't have.  Hopefully those are satisfactory enough for you.
    Please refer to my post explaining why those apps aren't on the Apple TV. The one that have a history lesson on music drm.

Also, I apparently don't have the answer to cure your huge sense of entitlement. I can already picture you going to a salad bar place and pitching a fit of all fits because the employees won't assemble your salad for you.
  • Reply 103 of 123

Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

I like the pages of cover art available under movies... I don't disagree that it is as simply as humanly possible, as long as you are literate... my youngest is able to navigate, but struggles because you have to flip through every movie to see cover art.  Netflix, as a contrast, is no problem for her.

Ah, you'd prefer a grid, I see. Well, treat it as a learning exercise. She'll learn how to read from this.

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

So now I've purchased an iPad and Apple TV to do what any other streamer can do.

"Any other streamer" (whatever this means) doesn't sell product.

We shouldn't be forced to Airplay when they are on every single other streamer.

You're not; buy one. Use that instead.

Amazon would love to be on the Apple TV.

Anyone competing with Apple would love to be on Apple's products, yeah.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They already offer the app for the iPod/iPhone/iPad so why not Apple TV?

Because there aren't apps on Apple TV. That should be abundantly clear to anyone even asking these questions.

Think of it this way, what if the iPhone didn't include a iPod?

Poor analogy. "What if your car had a built-in GPS and direction service, but you didn't like the service they built-in. You wanted whatever other service, but they don't offer it."

• Reply 104 of 123

Quote:

Something funny I noticed about Freckle"mirroring is the solution"dbruh-  his signature mentions a 2010 Mac Mini- something you can't even Mirror with. Oh the irony...

I actually have a 2011 mac mini but was/am too lazy to update the signature.

Also, if you are so happy with your Roku, why do you care Caps Lock Kanye West so much about what the Apple TV can and cannot do?  Life is too short.  Go get some fresh air(play).

• Reply 105 of 123
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Any other streamer" (whatever this means) doesn't sell product.

And Roku doesn't sell Rokus? Apple resells content they don't create it.
    Anyone competing with Apple would love to be on Apple's products, yeah.

They do have Amazon Instant Video for iOS devices. Why not the Apple TV?
    Because there aren't apps on Apple TV. That should be abundantly clear to anyone even asking these questions

Apps, channels same difference
    Poor analogy. "What if your car had a built-in GPS and direction service, but you didn't like the service they built-in. You wanted whatever other service, but they don't offer it."

That's a even worse analogy. You didn't buy the car because of the GPS.
  • Reply 106 of 123

Apps, channels same difference

No. They're not. Quite evidently they are completely different, since one exists in one place, freely, and the other exists in another, and only when and where Apple says.

That's a even worse analogy. You didn't buy the car because of the GPS.

Why would you have purchased an Apple TV for a service that it didn't have? It's a perfect analogy.

• Reply 107 of 123

Quote:

Think of it this way, what if the iPhone didn't include a iPod?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why do you only quote a portion of what he said?  His analogy made perfect sense when you quote the whole thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Think of it this way, what if the iPhone didn't include a iPod? What if you could only stream your music from the iPod to the iPhone?

That's the same thing as saying you need an iPad to Airplay to ATV for a certain feature to work (Like Amazon or HBO- IF they worked via Airplay).  But it would be much more convenient for it to be built in- much like the iPod is to the iPhone.  What about that analogy is poor?

• Reply 108 of 123

Quote:

That's the same thing as saying you need an iPad to Airplay to ATV for a certain feature to work (Like Amazon or HBO- IF they worked via Airplay).  But it would be much more convenient for it to be built in- much like the iPod is to the iPhone.  What about that analogy is poor?

The analogy is poor because the main reason Apple made the iPhone was to integrate the iPod into a phone.  See the Motorola Rokr.  Apple hated how Motorola executed it and decided to roll their own.  And while I have disagreed with posts saying that a person MUST use iTunes to use the Apple TV, the reason Apple made the Apple TV was to bring iTunes into the living room in an easier way (I, like many, use to directly hook up our computers to the television).  Amazon and HBO Go is not a requirement for most consumers to purchase the Apple TV.  I wouldn't buy a car that couldn't get me from point a to point b (iTunes) but I might buy one that didn't have leather seats (HBO Go, etc.). 

• Reply 109 of 123

I didn't edit his analogy. Where I feel it doesn't make sense it that GPS isn't vital to drive a car nor the reason that the car was purchased. Plus a built in GPS does one no good when traveling and using a rental car.
  • Reply 110 of 123

Quote:

I didn't edit his analogy. Where I feel it doesn't make sense it that GPS isn't vital to drive a car nor the reason that the car was purchased.

I said he edited yours.  He only quoted the first part.  Not the streaming from iPod to iPhone part.  I guess I wasn't as clear on typing as it was in my head.  :)

• Reply 111 of 123

Duplicate

• Reply 112 of 123

Why do you only quote a portion of what he said?  His analogy made perfect sense when you quote the whole thing.

It needs to be separate companies.

That's the same thing as saying you need an iPad to Airplay to ATV for a certain feature to work (Like Amazon or HBO- IF they worked via Airplay).

You have to buy an external device to view the service, just as you'd have to buy an external GPS to view the different GPS service. For the latter, the external service isn't in the car and isn't streamable thereto. Then the question becomes why that is, but that's a different argument.

• Reply 113 of 123
    The analogy is poor because the main reason Apple made the iPhone was to integrate the iPod into a phone.  See the Motorola Rokr.  Apple hated how Motorola executed it and decided to roll their own.  And while I have disagreed with posts saying that a person MUST use iTunes to use the Apple TV, the reason Apple made the Apple TV was to bring iTunes into the living room in an easier way (I, like many, use to directly hook up our computers to the television).  Amazon and HBO Go is not a requirement for most consumers to purchase the Apple TV.  I wouldn't buy a car that couldn't get me from point a to point b (iTunes) but I might buy one that didn't have leather seats (HBO Go, etc.). 

Exactly, integration and consolidation is something Apple excels at. Reminds of the ATT commercial, "what's better? 2 things that can do 1 thing, or 1 thing that can do one thing?"
  • Reply 114 of 123
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Exactly, integration and consolidation is something Apple excels at. Reminds of the ATT commercial, "what's better? 2 things that can do 1 thing, or 1 thing that can do one thing?"
    Yes and no. Apple definitely has a history of integrating features into one device but it also seems to have a line that they won't cross with that. For example, I highly doubt it would turn the Apple TV into a full fledged computer (even though people were able to do that with the original Apple TV). That is neither here nor there with regards to HBO Go and Amazon Video though. That has more to do with the content owners and where they choose to place their content. Look at the video for iCloud situation. Not every studio allows Apple to utilize their titles that way. Is someone going to argue that that is Apple's fault and they are refusing to allow some titles to have that feature and the studios really want it?
  • Reply 115 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

That is neither here nor there with regards to HBO Go and Amazon Video though. That has more to do with the content owners and where they choose to place their content. Look at the video for iCloud situation. Not every studio allows Apple to utilize their titles that way. Is someone going to argue that that is Apple's fault and they are refusing to allow some titles to have that feature and the studios really want it?

I can give you an example why a studio wouldn't want their movie to be available in the cloud.  They want you to use ultraviolet.  Or they want you to re-rent.

Please, give me one example why Amazon or HBO wouldn't want their application on Apple TV.  I can give you several reasons why they would want it.

• Reply 116 of 123
    I can give you an example why a studio wouldn't want their movie to be available in the cloud.  They want you to use ultraviolet.  Or they want you to re-rent.

Please, give me one example why Amazon or HBO wouldn't want their application on Apple TV.  I can give you several reasons why they would want it.
    I can only speculate for Amazon with that speculation being that it hasn't cleared those actions (AirPlay and an Apple TV app) with its content providers. As for HBO, the reason they wouldn't want to do it is because the cable companies pay them money and would refuse to allow them to put their content via television via Apple without their services. Remember I told you that it was a miracle that there was even an HBO Go app to begin with? Do you not remember how long it took to even get HBO content onto iTunes in the first place? Even now, HBO can take forever to post their shows to iTunes. Also, you actually don't know what kind of content deals those other companies have with those other streaming boxes. HBO may require that those companies pay a percentage of device sales (or Xbox live gold membership fees in microsoft's case). Content shenanigans are tricky. Apple can't wave its hands and magically force these companies to provide them apps. Look at individual titles on iTunes or Netflix. Have you never queued up a title, waited a few months, decide to watch it only to discover that it has disappeared? That's because the particular title has a window of availability and is now being shown on cable (or sometimes broadcast television) so you can see it using those services.
  • Reply 117 of 123
    I can only speculate for Amazon with that speculation being that it hasn't cleared those actions (AirPlay and an Apple TV app) with its content providers. As for HBO, the reason they wouldn't want to do it is because the cable companies pay them money and would refuse to allow them to put their content via television via Apple without their services. Remember I told you that it was a miracle that there was even an HBO Go app to begin with? Do you not remember how long it took to even get HBO content onto iTunes in the first place? Even now, HBO can take forever to post their shows to iTunes. Also, you actually don't know what kind of content deals those other companies have with those other streaming boxes. HBO may require that those companies pay a percentage of device sales (or Xbox live gold membership fees in microsoft's case). Content shenanigans are tricky. Apple can't wave its hands and magically force these companies to provide them apps. Look at individual titles on iTunes or Netflix. Have you never queued up a title, waited a few months, decide to watch it only to discover that it has disappeared? That's because the particular title has a window of availability and is now being shown on cable (or sometimes broadcast television) so you can see it using those services.

Who's to blame doesn't really matter. You spent most of this thread arguing with people who want their Apple TV to be more like the competition, I don't think that it's a unfair request. I'm surprised that the Apple TV doesn't have iTunes, because the same exact shows are available through Amazon and viewed with Roku, etc.
  • Reply 118 of 123

Quote:

Who's to blame doesn't really matter. You spent most of this thread arguing with people who want their Apple TV to be more like the competition, I don't think that it's a unfair request. I'm surprised that the Apple TV doesn't have iTunes, because the same exact shows are available through Amazon and viewed with Roku, etc.

1)  I don't think products have to be the same or do the same things in the same way that another product does.  I have tried to point out to you and the other poster that you can in fact get the content you want onto the Apple TV.  You dismiss these answers because you can't get it the way that YOU want.  Then when you ask the question of why, I explain and now you say that those answers don't really matter.  Well why ask the question then?  Why not enjoy your streaming box from the competition?  

2) What do you mean that the Apple TV doesn't have iTunes???

• Reply 119 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Um, your two sports examples are available OTA so what is your point?  And you still haven't named a "channel" that other streaming boxes have that Apple TV doesn't.  AFAIK, Amazon Video doesn't count because it is basically the same as netflix and iTunes therefore switch service.

it was called an analogy.

And several channels have been listed

Amazon Video - Available on Roku, not available on Apple TV.  this is not the same as netflix.  Amazon Video has some different free content with Prime and also lets you rent other content

HBO - Available on Roku, not available on AppleTV

Ted Talks - Avalible on Roku, not available on AppleTV

Vudu - available on roku, not available on apple TV

There are others. 

some of these are available on other things like smart tvs, $90 blue ray players, PS3, XBox, etc.  Other Apps are available on different devices.  Apple could have all of them available on the AppleTV with an app store.  We have several Apple TVs in our home, but they increasingly get used less and less because the only unique thing it can stream is iTunes content and airplay.  Airplay is great for work so we can put our computer displays on a big screen for meetings, but isn't the ideal way to view content at home.  I used to only have digital movies on iTunes, now my digital ultraviolet collection is larger than my iTunes collection.

Why do I care? I'm an Apple shareholder.  They should be dominating the set top device market. Instead they still treat is as a hobby and risk becoming irrelevant.  If another year goes by without an app store, they will be irrelevant. It's a mistake to compare apple TV sales to sales of Roku, compare them instead to sales of BluRay players and TVs with apps.

And the potential of a game market with AppleTV is huge.  The opportunity is being squandered.

• Reply 120 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

it was called an analogy.

And several channels have been listed

Amazon Video - Available on Roku, not available on Apple TV.  this is not the same as netflix.  Amazon Video has some different free content with Prime and also lets you rent other content

HBO - Available on Roku, not available on AppleTV

Ted Talks - Avalible on Roku, not available on AppleTV

Vudu - available on roku, not available on apple TV

There are others. 

some of these are available on other things like smart tvs, $90 blue ray players, PS3, XBox, etc.  Other Apps are available on different devices.  Apple could have all of them available on the AppleTV with an app store.  We have several Apple TVs in our home, but they increasingly get used less and less because the only unique thing it can stream is iTunes content and airplay.  Airplay is great for work so we can put our computer displays on a big screen for meetings, but isn't the ideal way to view content at home.  I used to only have digital movies on iTunes, now my digital ultraviolet collection is larger than my iTunes collection.

Why do I care? I'm an Apple shareholder.  They should be dominating the set top device market. Instead they still treat is as a hobby and risk becoming irrelevant.  If another year goes by without an app store, they will be irrelevant. It's a mistake to compare apple TV sales to sales of Roku, compare them instead to sales of BluRay players and TVs with apps.

And the potential of a game market with AppleTV is huge.  The opportunity is being squandered.

We have already discussed HBO Go (and there's a new article on that anyway) and Amazon so I am done with that.  You can watch Ted Talks straight on the Apple TV through Podcasts.  I have read not so great reviews on Vudu content but maybe it has gotten better.  As for caring about the Apple TV because you are a shareholder, then I guess you can breathe a sigh of relief because the Apple TV has sold over 10 million units with sales increasing (and a statement from Steam/Valve saying it is a major threat to the gaming industry) and sells waaay more than the competition. So as you can see, Roku and the like are the ones playing catch up when it comes to sales.  Funny, someone mentioned google tv having more and yet that product was/is an abject failure.