Apple's 'disappointing' quarter still outperforms the most profitable US companies

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Even after a quarter widely panned on Wall Street as "flat" or "disappointing," Apple holds the top spot among the most profitable U.S. companies by a significant margin.

Apple profit comparison

The $13.1 billion in profit Apple posted for the first quarter of 2013 is the most profitable quarter for a tech company in history, just edging out the record $13.06 billion set in the first quarter of 2013 ? also by Apple.

A comparison of Apple's record quarter to those of the other most profitable companies in the United States shows Apple head and shoulders above its American peers. Apple's $13.1 billion in profit is 31 percent more than the $10 billion of its closest competitor, oil giant ExxonMobil, which briefly surpassed Apple in market cap following investors' negative reactions to the most recent quarter.

As statistics portal Statista points out, the only companies to ever post a higher quarterly profit are ExxonMobil and Russian energy giant Gazprom, which posted $16.2 billion in profit for the first quarter of 2011.

Apple, once targeted for $1,000 per share, currently sits 34.7 percent below its all-time high of $700 per share. Meanwhile, it earned $100 million more in the first quarter than firms Wells Fargo, Proctor & Gamble, and General Electric combined.

In terms of technology companies, Apple earned more than twice the $6.4 billion of its nearest competitor, Redmond software giant Microsoft. Add in the $5.8 billion earned by IBM, and Apple still beats the total by nearly a billion dollars.

Apple's team remains upbeat on the company's future, despite the negative outlook of some investors. CEO Tim Cook expressed confidence in the firm's product pipeline, saying during the quarterly conference call that "we continue to focus on innovation and making the best products in the world."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Apple's Q4 11 through Q4 12 would be in the top 6 or 7 spots. ;)

But then, I suppose XOM would be similar too.

The stock market is subject to the whims of investors, which are largely irrational.
  • Reply 2 of 50

This means only one thing...

Apple is DOOOMEDDD!

• Reply 3 of 50
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Now that investors seem to have exhausted the panic-selling frenzy that they have talked themselves into (with no small assist from stock manipulators), some calm and common sense might finally creep into the investing scene and Apple's stock will start inching back up to more realistic levels.

If there are any professional fund managers in this group of panic sellers, they should be fired.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

What happened with the SEC looking into the huge drop?

• Reply 5 of 50
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    Problem is the massive profits already in their market cap. Growth is slowing to flat next quarter or down if you run apples guidance. So great quarter but as second largest market cap double Microsoft still it is already priced in
  • Reply 6 of 50

So the argument for Apple now is "we don't suck as bad as the other guy"? Is that what you are saying, AppleInsider?

• Reply 7 of 50
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quick sell off on manufactured "bad news," now everything is rosy and the analysts are trying to bump the stock price.

I'm sorry, but these people need investigating. The SEC needs to do its job here...
  • Reply 8 of 50
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    So the argument for Apple now is "we don't suck as bad as the other guy"? Is that what you are saying, AppleInsider?

Well if you don't suck as bad as 99.99% of everyone else, then I'd say you're winning.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Apple is the biggest value trap on Wall Street for investors. Stay away.

Apple stock is like a gigantic black hole in the center of our galaxy sucking in whole stars and planets. With Apple, money goes into the company but it never comes out.
  • Reply 10 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Problem is the massive profits already in their market cap. Growth is slowing to flat next quarter or down if you run apples guidance. So great quarter but as second largest market cap double Microsoft still it is already priced in

What 'massive profits' in their market cap? Care to elaborate on your valuation model and assumptions?

• Reply 11 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple stock is like a gigantic black hole in the center of our galaxy sucking in whole stars and planets. With Apple, money goes into the company but it never comes out.

/s

• Reply 12 of 50
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Yeah, if only I hadn't bought shares at $6.50/share.  I wish I had listened to you.

• Reply 13 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The $13.1 billion in profit Apple posted for the first quarter of 2013 is the most profitable quarter for a tech company in history, just edging out the record $13.06 billion set in the first quarter of 2013 also by Apple.

Saywha? 103% better or somefin'?
  • Reply 14 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

CEO Tim Cook expressed confidence in the firm's product pipeline, saying during the quarterly conference call that "we continue to focus on innovation and making the best products in the world."

Well, in spite of Apple being doomed to forever disappoint the market thank god they are focussed on what matters. 

• Reply 15 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Yeah, if only I hadn't bought shares at $6.50/share.  I wish I had listened to you.

You did? You lucky (clever?) sumenabitch!

• Reply 16 of 50

$13.1 Billion profit in the last quarter, and this proves "it's like the 80s all over again" how?

• Reply 17 of 50
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    So, what the heck are these analysts analyzing when they come out with their preposterous doomsday reports? Sorry, but they are not worth the toilet paper they wipe their @$$e$ with.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

WOW...disappoints and still better than anyone else!

Apple is indeed doomed!

Now everyone sell sell sell...drive that stock price down......so I can buy and ride the next wave when it goes to $1000 a share

• Reply 19 of 50
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

I still wonder what profits are included in Amazon's market cap.

• Reply 20 of 50
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Apple seems to be the Rodney Dangerfield of stocks. No respect.