Home Depot abandoning BlackBerry platform in favor of Apple's iPhone and iOS

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 66


    Hopefully the same thing (wait for reveal, abandon) doesn't happen when Apple redoes the Mac Pro.


     


    It obviously will, but that will be mostly people who refuse to change. Whether enough new ones fill the gap is the important part.

  • Reply 22 of 66
    I love Apple and iOS, but just like BB, the iPhone will fade. There are tends/fads that come and go. I studied them for years in College. An example is Sony, Nokia, and even Blackberry. Not to say that BB will ever regain the position they once were, but you have to remember; Many corporations still rely on Blackberry and their IT departments are not yet ready to switch platforms esp because of the Office Suits. And their new Z10 is solid. Right now Apple has the best devices on the market. There is no comparison IMHO, but they too will only be able to stay on top for so long.... We'll talk in 3-5 years and you'll see what I"m saying.

    Now the PC, Mac, and Linux desktops.... Thats a different story. I see linux taking the reign in the next 10-15 years (for corporations that is).
  • Reply 23 of 66
    colper wrote: »
    I love Apple and iOS, but just like BB, the iPhone will fade. There are tends/fads that come and go. I studied them for years in College. An example is Sony, Nokia, and even Blackberry. Not to say that BB will ever regain the position they once were, but you have to remember; Many corporations still rely on Blackberry and their IT departments are not yet ready to switch platforms esp because of the Office Suits. And their new Z10 is solid. Right now Apple has the best devices on the market. There is no comparison IMHO, but they too will only be able to stay on top for so long.... We'll talk in 3-5 years and you'll see what I"m saying.

    Now the PC, Mac, and Linux desktops.... Thats a different story. I see linux taking the reign in the next 10-15 years (for corporations that is).
    Agree with you but unlike other companies that design an OS or new product, Apple take very serious anything they put on the market and improve it. Remember that Apple is a kind of conpany that innovate in anything new they desire to do. Microsoft in the other hand, have not innovate anything new for the consumer in years. The surface pro and RT are just products to compete with the iPad, nothing really innovative about it.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    jungmark wrote: »
    More bad news for Apple. /s
    Perhaps "analysts" can negatively spin this stating "the iPhone 5 fails to gain traction at Home Depot"

    "Home Depot chooses iPhone 4S over iPhone 5" sell! sell! aapl!
  • Reply 25 of 66


    Ballsilie and Lazaridis.


     


    ^^^^


     


    Where the trouble all started.  

  • Reply 26 of 66

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Colper View Post



    We'll talk in 3-5 years and you'll see what I"m saying.


     


     


    We heard the same phrase three years ago. Then again three years before that. And then three years before that. 


     


    There is *nothing* stopping a company from maintaining indefinite staying power by reinventing, re-imagining and redefining themselves. It all comes down to the intersection where visionary management meets understanding the consumer. 

  • Reply 27 of 66
    colper wrote: »
    I love Apple and iOS, but just like BB, the iPhone will fade. There are tends/fads that come and go. I studied them for years in College. An example is Sony, Nokia, and even Blackberry. Not to say that BB will ever regain the position they once were, but you have to remember; Many corporations still rely on Blackberry and their IT departments are not yet ready to switch platforms esp because of the Office Suits. And their new Z10 is solid. Right now Apple has the best devices on the market. There is no comparison IMHO, but they too will only be able to stay on top for so long.... We'll talk in 3-5 years and you'll see what I"m saying.

    Now the PC, Mac, and Linux desktops.... Thats a different story. I see linux taking the reign in the next 10-15 years (for corporations that is).

    A shorter way to say that is, "I love Apple, but (--insert doom prediction here--). Next year will finally be the year of the Linux desktop (again). I read it on /. which is not a circle jerk of Linux fans who 'love Apple but'."
  • Reply 28 of 66
    colper wrote: »
    I love Apple and iOS, but just like BB, the iPhone will fade. There are tends/fads that come and go. I studied them for years in College. An example is Sony, Nokia, and even Blackberry. Not to say that BB will ever regain the position they once were, but you have to remember; Many corporations still rely on Blackberry and their IT departments are not yet ready to switch platforms esp because of the Office Suits. And their new Z10 is solid. Right now Apple has the best devices on the market. There is no comparison IMHO, but they too will only be able to stay on top for so long.... We'll talk in 3-5 years and you'll see what I"m saying.

    Now the PC, Mac, and Linux desktops.... Thats a different story. I see linux taking the reign in the next 10-15 years (for corporations that is).

    I agree that it is tough to stay on top, but you make it seem like the iPhone platform will remain stagnant while other platforms will grow. Apple is continually developing and testing new things, their R&D doesn't take time off once a product is released. Again time will tell of they remain as successful as they are today, but they do have plenty of resources at their disposal to continue to grow.
  • Reply 29 of 66

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post





    I agree that it is tough to stay on top, but you make it seem like the iPhone platform will remain stagnant while other platforms will grow. 


     


    So are businesses going to iOS because others aren't changing. Or because they feel iOS has stabilized while providing what they need. 


     


    Add a stable route to hardware support (including being able to certify your own staff to be in house Apple techs) and the appeal makes sense.

  • Reply 30 of 66
    I'm so conflicted! First I was hating on them for bad-mouthing Obama, now I've got to like them for supporting the other "platform" I like.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Though I have used iPhones since day one, it's still kind of sad to see a company as big as Blackberry stumble so badly. What's even sadder is the time it took them to react to the smartphone in general, only to come out with models that have been panned by nearly everyone whose had the opportunity to test them.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    colper wrote: »
    I love Apple and iOS, but just like BB, the iPhone will fade. There are tends/fads that come and go. I studied them for years in College. An example is Sony, Nokia, and even Blackberry. Not to say that BB will ever regain the position they once were, but you have to remember; Many corporations still rely on Blackberry and their IT departments are not yet ready to switch platforms esp because of the Office Suits. And their new Z10 is solid. Right now Apple has the best devices on the market. There is no comparison IMHO, but they too will only be able to stay on top for so long.... We'll talk in 3-5 years and you'll see what I"m saying.

    There are some counterexamples to your claims.

    Mercedes built one of the first commercial cars - and is still doing well.
    Ford built the first mass-produced card - and is still doing well.
    Apple was one of the first selling computers to consumers - and is still doing well.

    If you continue to stay ahead of the competition, there's no reason that a company must fade into oblivion.
    colper wrote: »
    Now the PC, Mac, and Linux desktops.... Thats a different story. I see linux taking the reign in the next 10-15 years (for corporations that is).

    Uh huh. And why is that true now when it hasn't been true for the last 20 years that people have been making that claim? If anything, I see Linux less now than I did 10 years ago.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,720member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I was in Lowe's a few months ago and they were already using the iPhone for inventory. All the floor sales staff were carrying specially equipped iPhones with laser bar code readers. Home Depot is playing catch up.



     


    Except Home Depot isn't in the business of deploying iPhones to managers, they're in the business of providing one-stop shopping for the do-it-yourselfer.

  • Reply 34 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    john.b wrote: »
    Except Home Depot isn't in the business of deploying iPhones to managers, they're in the business of providing one-stop shopping for the do-it-yourselfer.

    So? What's your point?

    They obviously feel that the iPhones will contribute to their goal of providing shopping to their customers.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,893member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    So? What's your point?



    They obviously feel that the iPhones will contribute to their goal of providing shopping to their customers.


    I think the article mentions the sales floor mobile phones used for customer assistance won't be iPhones but instead Android-based ruggedized ones, which of course makes sense in a home-improvement store. The iPhones are going to management if the article is accurate.

  • Reply 36 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,173member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Colper View Post



    I love Apple and iOS, but just like BB, the iPhone will fade. There are tends/fads that come and go. I studied them for years in College. An example is Sony, Nokia, and even Blackberry. Not to say that BB will ever regain the position they once were, but you have to remember; Many corporations still rely on Blackberry and their IT departments are not yet ready to switch platforms esp because of the Office Suits. And their new Z10 is solid. Right now Apple has the best devices on the market. There is no comparison IMHO, but they too will only be able to stay on top for so long.... We'll talk in 3-5 years and you'll see what I"m saying.



    Now the PC, Mac, and Linux desktops.... Thats a different story. I see linux taking the reign in the next 10-15 years (for corporations that is).


     


    Oh, you studied it in college, I guess it must happen them. 


     


    The reason BB failed is because when the iPhone came out, it was a superior product, useability experience, and paradigm shift in so many ways. This shit isn't some random thing, or some pattern set in stone. RIM failed because of very deliberate choices they made and didn't make, and become someone else came out with something than consumers loved infinitely more than their own product. Same with Sony, Nokia, etc. Is the Z10 to the iPhone what the iPhone was to the BB? No, not even in the slightest. The Z10 may be on par with iPhone in a few things, but lagging behind in so many others. Apple won't go spiraling down 'just because'. If will only happen if someone else releases a much better product than consumers flock to, and has a much better vision of how things should work. There's no reason to suspect there's anyone else who is capable of doing this anytime in the next few years, and Apple isn't staying still. I'm sure we will be surprised this year, as no doubt they have alot of stuff cooking. No other company has all its ducks in a row as Apple does, controlling their hardware, software, ecosystem, and cloud services, along with seamless integration of their entire product line. 

  • Reply 37 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think the article mentions the sales floor mobile phones used for customer assistance won't be iPhones but instead Android-based ruggedized ones, which of course makes sense in a home-improvement store. The iPhones are going to management if the article is accurate.

    So? How does that change what I said?

    If they are switching from BB to iPhone for their management, they obviously feel that it will further their goal of making money while selling to their customers. The fact that they use other phones in other places doesn't negate that.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,893member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    So? How does that change what I said?



    If they are switching from BB to iPhone for their management, they obviously feel that it will further their goal of making money while selling to their customers. The fact that they use other phones in other places doesn't negate that.


    I simply clarified a point from the article, thinking perhaps you or others had missed the mention. I wasn't trying to get you to modify what you were trying to say as you've done. No biggie. Everything doesn't need to be an argument does it? 


     


    Home Depot is going to give iPhones to their managers rather than Blackberry's. I think we both agree that looks good for Apple and bad for BB.

  • Reply 39 of 66
    Get hammered like what? Your so uninformed. If anything I would be wondering why Apple has lost $250 a share in 5 months. Hmm looks like the investers smell a future loser. Losses of hundreds of billion of dollars and market share to google. BB has tripled their value in a couple months. Hmmm ; )
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Get hammered like what? Your so uninformed. If anything I would be wondering why Apple has lost $250 a share in 5 months. Hmm looks like the investers smell a future loser. Losses of hundreds of billion of dollars and market share to google. BB has tripled their value in a couple months. Hmmm ; )
Sign In or Register to comment.